Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, bradhindsight said:

So I went to YouTube, searched for MLW Fusion, checked out MLW's channel, checked out BEIN sports playlists and videos, searching and searching and i couldn't find any TV episodes. :blink:  

I search MLW on Youtube and I immediately get the channel and all the episodes.

5 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

Once again, couldn't agree more - what with the Rush announcement it seems that MLW is really struggling to get a core set of guys they can build consistent stories around. 

I thought the announcement of a big Rush match for April was ridiculous. And there you go, he get picked up by ROH. At this point, there's really no consistent story apart from Konnan vs SDR (generally speaking) and Lawlor vs Low-ki. The promotion looks like "Hey, we got that cool worker for these tapings, let's have him do some matches." I guess I'll have to watch ROH to watch some of the guys I enjoyed in MLW (PCO, Rush, Brody King). 

Because of the way MLW contracts are structured, etc. I take each episode of Fusion as a PWG show. Fun matches featuring the hottest acts on the indies. Nothing more. Nothing less. One clean hour of pro wrestling that isn't over scripted or over produced. With Sinclair, WWE, Yukes, and AWE all with pocketbooks open, I think its best for Court to give up the super indy dream and really start focusing on guys no one knows. Having one or two name talent bouncing around MLW is fine, but 95% of the show should feature the next generation of stars. I do not think this will be easy in any way, but Court needs to sit down with a Dylan Hales and really start keeping tabs on SCI, etc.

The Rush vs Strickland was clearly the highlight of this week's episode (well, Rush is already gone, sadly), which was pretty non-descript apart from this. The February 2 card looks interesting though. MLW will really have to secure some key guys, because stuff like El Gringo Loco vs Ricky Martinez ain't gonna do the trick...

16 hours ago, El-P said:

The Rush vs Strickland was clearly the highlight of this week's episode (well, Rush is already gone, sadly), which was pretty non-descript apart from this. The February 2 card looks interesting though. MLW will really have to secure some key guys, because stuff like El Gringo Loco vs Ricky Martinez ain't gonna do the trick...

It feels like they are hitting the dregs of the taping already, and there's still two episodes to go (although I'm pretty intrigued by Callihan-Park).

I didn't think Rush-Strickland was particularly great. I don't feel like I totally "get" Rush yet, although I'm sure there's a lot lost in seeing him wrestle US indy guys he's not familiar with.

12 minutes ago, Migs said:

I don't feel like I totally "get" Rush yet, although I'm sure there's a lot lost in seeing him wrestle US indy guys he's not familiar with.

What strikes me about him his the way he carries himself during the match. I've seen exactly two or three matches with him, and he comes off like a star and someone I should care about. FWIW, Meltz mentioned on WOR that ROH was probably not the best choice for him to showcase his ability because he wasn't about the big moves and crazy action, he was more about character. 

Yeah, Callihan vs Park could be really good if they go into crazy brawl mode and if Park shows up to work as opposed to cruise forever and do a thousand obscene gestures...

On 1/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, Migs said:

It feels like they are hitting the dregs of the taping already, and there's still two episodes to go (although I'm pretty intrigued by Callihan-Park).

I didn't think Rush-Strickland was particularly great. I don't feel like I totally "get" Rush yet, although I'm sure there's a lot lost in seeing him wrestle US indy guys he's not familiar with.

I don't watch Lucha beyond parachuting in once in a while per year. But I don't get Rush either. Obviously he has charisma and marketable build. Always seems like people are afraid for speak truthfully about him as he's a thing on Twitter. He seem lost in the Strickland match. 

Watched both his MLW and ROH matches this week. Don't understand the bidding war in ring wise. Get business, demographic and politics reasons for it. 

If he doesn't got over in ROH I see people blaming everything other than him.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:21 PM, rovert said:

I don't watch Lucha beyond parachuting in once in a while per year. But I don't get Rush either. Obviously he has charisma and marketable build. Always seems like people are afraid for speak truthfully about him as he's a thing on Twitter. He seem lost in the Strickland match. 

Watched both his MLW and ROH matches this week. Don't understand the bidding war in ring wise. Get business, demographic and politics reasons for it. 

If he doesn't got over in ROH I see people blaming everything other than him.

Come on man, if someone can't comment on AEW unless they watch a bunch guys dicking around on web series, certainly someone shouldn't make some giant pronouncement on Rush without watching CMLL. 

On 1/26/2019 at 5:48 AM, Phil Schneider said:

Come on man, if someone can't comment on AEW unless they watch a bunch guys dicking around on web series, certainly someone shouldn't make some giant pronouncement on Rush without watching CMLL. 

I never actually said that though. Holy straw man.

This thread is above MLW not CMLL. Rush was kicking the rope in frustration as he couldn't engage the fans he was performing in front of.

Gringo Loco didn't have that issue on the same episode. You are just excuse making.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:18 PM, Migs said:

"Cats have seven lives." - Teddy Hart

That was Sid worthy line right there ! The cats look adorable though.

LA Park vs Sami Callihan falls count anywhere was yet another case of Callihan delivering the goods. His reaction to Park's first chop was priceless, as was Salina grinning like a bruja. Later on, his rendition of the LA Park strut was pretty great too. Really old-school (as in, very 90's) brawl going down to the lobby for a while, tons of hitting each other with stuff, but with selling and purpose and few big spots. The finish was awesome and one of the coolest I've seen in a while. Yeah, Park still rules it when he wants to and Callihan is just the best garbage brawler in the business today, and a dirty-ass heel to boot. Loved it, one of the best Fusion match.

8 hours ago, rovert said:

I never actually said that though. Holy straw man.

This thread is above MLW not CMLL. Rush was kicking the rope in frustration as he couldn't engage the fans he was performing in front of.

Gringo Loco didn't have that issue on the same episode. You are just excuse making.

Keep digging

1 hour ago, fakeplastictrees said:

I know two people who worked the MLW show and I haven't heard any reasons as to why that match was there or even that long. Was it just to have Salina on TV? Martinez/Brazil should have been a 5 minutes showcase for Brazil with Martinez eventually picking up the win.

I get it being there (they're pushing Kotto and they've put a lot of time into that story), but it should have been 5 minutes.

Well, it didn't go that well...

Davey Boy Smith didn't work well with the Lucha Bros. No chemistry there, I was waiting huge power spots and the Luchas bumping off of him. That's been the one issue I've had with the Luchas, is that they are kinda forcing their style no matter against who they work. If it clicks, it can be terrific like against LAX. Here, not so much. The Doomsday Destroyer is the most spectacular tag team finisher ever though, just amazing to watch. 

Koto Brazil's just got something special. Some extra oomph with everything he does and tons of expressivity. Martinez is a decent bearded-tatooed heel. Good match I thought, but they fucked up the timing of the finish something fierce. Not too sur who to blame here, but Koto jumping back on Martinez instead of going toward Salina kinda did it I think. Salina looked awesome though and I like her being really active, old-school style. Matt Striker calling Koto Brazil "Swann" was kinda awkward. He could have waited until Koto grabbed Salina by the throat at least.... (yeah, that's a low blow).

I know MLW is like the anti-epic promotion, but at some point, you've got to deliver something with a little bit more meat. That main event was ridiculously short. Good for what it was, but after the build of "14 years undefeated" (which is great old-school carny bullshit, since MLW has, what, 4 years of existence total at best ?), not satisfying.

Too bad Schiavone wasn't here, as I really don't care for Striker in that setting (and that's from someone who enjoys him in LU, I guess the duo with Vampiro is better than the sum of its parts). Him selling the pepper gas was kinda attention-whoring I thought. Trying to hard here...

So yeah, not a huge success I'd say. Plus as always, these MLW crowds look kinda dead.

Teddy's line to MJF about "go join the elite" was funny though.