Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

I guess I hadn't thought about it before but it is pretty incredible that a company with Jim Cornette also has Teddy Hart, Low Ki & is bringing in Austin Aries! :D 

That's a lot of guys not known for being team players. But they're all really talented.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

Yeah, I for one am glad. Loved his work in iMPACT last year. Hey, make a Low-ki vs Aries feud about who's the King of the Indie Dicks. The match could be awesome.

I believe they had a match or two in TNA (2015?) that I recall being enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 1:47 AM, Coffey said:

Hide contents

Seeing L.A. Park's big ass still hit a suicide dive like that was sick! Also, Pentagon when all out on his dive. Some cool stuff. And Salina was looking great.

Finally watched the Salina edition episode. Yeah, fun stuff. LA Park's got some much explosiveness for a overweight 50 year old guy. That plancha between the ropes and the post was sick. Plus, Mance got out of a box. Damn, Corny, you can't help yourself !

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

I remember hearing once that Park likes to remind people occasionally he can actually go, the dancing stuff got  him over but he can bring the fat ass dives when need be. 

Park really ended his match on Episode 56 against Pentagon Jr in the most mark out fashion. And I wouldn't be a booster of Park in MLW at all. 

It took some time, but I'm all in with Contra now, last week's episode worked really well with them going all nWo on the entire promotion. The Low-Ki angle reeked of old school (arguing with your manager, then a beatdown/faceturn happening after a squash match) and was really nicely done. The visual of Samael throwing that fireball in the eyes of Fenix was cool as hell (they showed it a million times too). Filthy Tom vs Avalanche was a good TV match, and the show ended up on a hot note (although the whole "cash-in" gimmick is one heritage from WWE I wish other promotion wouldn't use, especially since iMPACT does it too). The booking has been quite efficient these last few weeks in term of putting feuds together.

I got a kick out of Fatu wearing those old SST/HeadShrinkers-like tights. I wonder if they are actual old Fatu tights... (yeah, I'm a geek). Bauer better sign the guy, he's too talented to not get grabbed by someone eventually.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Bauer better sign the guy, he's too talented to not get grabbed by someone eventually.

I've been blowing this trumpet for awhile. That guy is a superstar. I imagine he'll wind-up in WWE just because of the Samoan Dynasty heritage & history with that company. He would be a huge get for AEW as their Umaga monster though. AEW is going to have to slow down a lot of signings too though. 

On 5/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, Migs said:

I'm apparently the outlier, as I find Contra dull as shit and lacking in motivation. Fatu is obviously a talent, but I have zero interest at all in watching the other two wrestle. 

I'm with you, I see nothing in the Sheik and while I like Simon Gotch, I don't think he should be anywhere near the top of the card. Fatu is money though and should be protected and kept elevated at all costs.

This last episode was pretty lackluster to watch, not much happening in the ring but understandable with how many weeks of TV they've been milking from "Mania weekend. Next coule weeks once they get some more tapings done should pick up.

I was a fan of The Sheik, Ed Farhat, from the Detroit area. So seeing Josef Samael basically doing a tribute act to him, with the railroad spike, hooked boots, fireballs, etc. is really cool to me.

We need more of that in wrestling. More guys that aren't just about workrate matches. They stand out a lot more because they're different. 

MLW Fury Road is tonight. So that will be on YouTube in a couple of days. I'll probably catch it then because I want to watch TakeOver tonight. 

The Contra angle was pretty crappy and poor taste. Mediocre show too, with only Pillman vs Hamerstone being a good little match, but Hamerstone is kinda dull as dirt as a character (and that include his look). Teddy Hart vs Jimmy Havoc was yet another bad Havoc match that never went anywhere and with Havoc big spots looking like crap. If there's one guy I'm not looking forward to see in AEW, that's him. Give me the next Salina produced show with a bunch of luchadors & Low-Ki and less Gringo Loco too.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, TheDuke said:

When does Cornette finish with MLW? Is Schiavone going to come back at some point or is he done for good?

Tony Schiavone has a full time job calling baseball during the summer, and that job is his true love above and beyond anything related to Pro Wrestling. He is the play-by-play man for the Atlanta Braves Triple A team, and that is what is most important to him.  He mentioned this during an interview he did on JR's podcast a few years back, and I have heard Conrad Thompson mention it as well. I guess people have asked repeatedly for "What Happened When" Live Shows and Conrad has said on more than one occasion that those shows are very difficult to book because Tony won't do anything that interferes with his baseball job.

I assume after baseball season is done Tony will be back to MLW, but I'd bet it will end up being a three man booth with Tony, Cornette and Rich Bocchini...that way when Tony leaves again Cornette and Rich can continue on.  I don't think Cornette is going anywhere at this point because he is working as a producer backstage and attending production meetings, etc.  I don't think he is involved in the "creative" but they consult with him about it, plus he is working as a Promo Coach as well.

Speaking of Contra and Jim Cornette, Corny claimed on his podcast this week that there is a 6 Man Tag coming up on a future edition of Fusion (June 22 I think?) which features Tom Lawlor and the Von Erich brothers against Contra, and he claims it is very good and very "old school." So far, even though he works for MLW Cornette hasn't been one to shill for them too much on his podcasts. He has spoken very highly of MJF on more than one occasion, but other than that he hasn't really talked about MLW too much - aside from bitching about his road schedule and giving reviews of the burger joints he eats at on the road.  So if he is giving this 6 Man Tag good reviews, it may be worth checking out if you like the old school Crockett era type stuff.

If it is getting this kind of buzz and it hasn't even aired yet, it sounds like that match is definitely worth checking out.  I know despite his opinion of "hardcore wrestling" Jim Cornette has a soft spot for the original Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl from 1979 with Lawler & Dundee vs. The Blond Bombers, and I got the impression that he got that kind of vibe from the post-match brawl Rovert mentioned.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, El-P said:

Finally watched the Salina edition episode. Yeah, fun stuff. LA Park's got some much explosiveness for a overweight 50 year old guy. That plancha between the ropes and the post was sick. Plus, Mance got out of a box. Damn, Corny, you can't help yourself !

I am almost 100% sure I was at this show live. Was this a show taped at Mania. I was second row. La Parka dived straight out of the corner through the ropes right at me onto Pentagon Jr. It was so cool. I marked out so hard!

12 hours ago, Superstar Sleeze said:

I am almost 100% sure I was at this show live. Was this a show taped at Mania. I was second row. La Parka dived straight out of the corner through the ropes right at me onto Pentagon Jr. It was so cool. I marked out so hard!

Partially so - it was a mix of matches from the Thursday and Friday shows of Mania weekend (almost all the April/May episodes were).

MJF vs Davey Boy Smith JR. was the most mid-90's match I've seen in a long long time. It was good, but also felt dated a bit, kinda like a very minor Razor Ramon vs Jeff Jarrett match. Also, Aria Blake is back and she's basically doing Tammy Fytch from SMW. Yeah, Corny sure is working behind the scenes...

I agree. I love old school wrestling, but this episode felt like bad retro. For as much as Jame E likes to call AEW low rent, well...MLW isn't fooling anyone.

That said, I will continue to show my free support by watching, liking, and subbing on MLW's YT channel. I liked last week better.