Pro Wrestling Only

LA Park is the King of Lucha (aka 2018 is weird)

sek69

So who wants to handicap the outcomes of LA Park's matches this summer? I've got him showing up to Triplemania at 1 to 2. Losing his mask at Triplemania at 10 to 1. I've got the Mask vs Hair match with Rush happening at even money.  And I've got him losing his mask to Rush at 5 to 3.  Sound about right? 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pentagon joined with CMLL and now seems to be feuding with Caristico while Terrible & Rush want his blood. Wagner Jr's said his time with AAA is up and he'll gladly jump to CMLL if they call.

CMLL is becoming quite the dream match promotion.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a stacked CMLL card tonight, including LA Park/Phoenix/Penta vs Rush/Briscoes. I've got kids to juggle and what not, but I'll be at least 2/3rds watching once it gets going. Anyone else want to try out the chatbox while it's on as a group watching experiment?

CMLL seems to be really hedging their bets. They gave every impression Rush/Park is still on, but they announced the ticket prices for the Anniversary show and they are way lower than you would expect for a show with that match as the main. Cubsfan seems to think CMLL is afraid either AAA or Park is going to pull the rug out from them at Triplemania, but I don't see Park losing his mask in a random four way, even if it is at a big show.

The question is who can give Park more for his Mask? With what tickets are priced at the anniversary show I’d think AAA would be able to give more. It’s a bigger arena and tickets are priced higher. His mask probably goes for 200k +. Can CMLL afford that if they are bringing in a 700k gate for the anniversary show? How much is Rush’s hair? Probably 30k, maybe less? With those ticket prices would Rush be losing his hair instead? 

This is true, Wagner apparently got the highest payoff ever for a mask match so AAA isn't afraid to break the piggy bank, but that was also in a straight up one on one match as well. The Alonso family has the means to give Park whatever amount he's asking,  but the question is will they. Normally the answer to that would be no, but this is a strange new world we're in. 

Wagner made a little over $250k for losing his mask off a $625k gate for Triplemania. It should be noted that AAA was banking on a $1 million gate, but all the false advertising they had done during the year ended up biting them in the ass. Regardless, it's pretty much impossible for CMLL to go out of business, so they can pay whatever it takes to seal the deal within reason, especially if it means cockblocking AAA. I guess there's concerns about upsetting the salary structure, but the recent Park-driven business upswing has meant more money in everyone's pockets, so I don't think that'll be an issue. As for Rush, his hair is probably the most valuable prize in lucha other than the masks of Santo, Park, and Atlantis, so his asking price would be way more than $30k.

Basically the longer someone goes without losing their mask/hair, the more valuable it becomes. There's also the factor of star power, someone like Rush has been at or near the top for a while, so that plus him never losing his hair before drives the price up. 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:55 AM, Matt D said:

There's a stacked CMLL card tonight, including LA Park/Phoenix/Penta vs Rush/Briscoes. I've got kids to juggle and what not, but I'll be at least 2/3rds watching once it gets going. Anyone else want to try out the chatbox while it's on as a group watching experiment?

Would have loved to if not for the UK time difference, maybe the Anniversary show?

Friday was my favourite wrestling card of the year, really hope we get Park/Rush headlining.

How much of a draw is Okada, though? Will he move tickets relative to a main event level? Apparently Matt Tavern is a great draw so who knows with the local fans.

Not sure what else they could do here. An Okada singles would most likely stink with the exception of a couple names. They're definitely not having him pin Rush (Rush may have got the win on Nakamura back in 2013 but I don't see that happening twice with someone as high as Okada).

Exhibition trios lets Okada hit all his cool spots and get the pin on Valiente (most likely with Mistico/Caristico shenanigans) so everyone wins by means of everyone really losing.

• 2 weeks later...

So what can only be described as Vintage CMLL, Park vs Rush will not be on the Anniversary show after months of build. They did an angle where Rush is claiming the fans in the building want him to face Volador (spoiler alert: they don't) and it's only the fans on social media that won't buy tickets that want the Park match.

The funny thing is all the publicity he got from being on CMLL shows made it financially unwise for Park to do the match since he was surely going to lose. 

So CMLL revitalized Park's career and won't end up being able to fully capitalize on it. They got some bigger houses for weekly Arena Mexico shows, but they ended up building a quarter of AAA's TripleMania main event free of charge.

Apparently, AAA threatened a lawsuit and CMLL decided it wasn't worth the hassle. That brings into question why they kept using him but I guess it was to get that money. I kinda hope Rush loses his hair at the anniversario show to  Matt Taven just for the reactions. That card looks pitiful even by usual CMLL standards.  

After all the fighting AAA did over the Parka gimmick, I thought it was odd they would be okay with him dropping the mask at a CMLL show (although there's a school of thought that if he did finally drop the mask he wouldn't be going around rubbing it in their faces that he's the original guy). 

What's scummy is it appears AAA said this in June and CMLL still went on promoting as if the match was happening until about a week or so ago. People on Twitter pretty much did the "hand on chin thinking emoji" when the ticket prices were announced and they clearly weren't scaled to a Rush vs Park level, but the company continued to run matches to make the fans think it was still happening.