Pro Wrestling Only

The big announcement

Loss

Its rare to not only be interested in a new venture, but to actually want to succeed because of those behind it, but that's absolutely the case here. You always speak of wrestling with an insightful joy that somehow comes across as unique despite the ubiquity of voices found online. Hopefully you turn the right levers and it develops into a tremendous success. Looking forward to seeing what's next!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome news and like everyone here, I'm fully rooting for this to succeed. Should you eventually reach the level of success allowing you to hire paid writers, this is something that I would definitely like to give a try at some point. But, baby steps first. I can't wait for the launch!

Thanks to everyone for the amazing early support!

Best of luck on this new project, Loss. I read your comparison to sites like Spotify and Allmovie and it put some ideas in my head.

So most of us are probably familiar with ProfightDB. It's a website with a database of wrestlers and cards that shows you a wrestler's entire history of matches. It's a pretty great resource. But what if there was a database for the matches themselves? Like, if you were looking at the card for Summerslam '92 and you clicked on the page for Bret Hart vs British Bulldog and it brought a wealth of content related to the match - Meltzer's star rating, user-submitted reviews, trivia ("According to Hart's autobiography Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling, Bulldog spent the weeks leading up to Summerslam smoking crack with Jim Neidhart"), where to stream the match and where to view it on DVD (for WWE this is easy, but for indies there might be a need for a feature like this). What if you could view a list of all Bret vs Bulldog matches - and narrow it down to singles or tags. What if you could sort certain matches by keyword or keyphrase - for instance if you were on the page for Bret vs Hakushi on Raw in July '95 and one of the keyphrases was "space flying tiger drop" and if you clicked it you saw a list of other matches with that keyphrase. (You know, for all those smarks who think a match isn't good unless it contains a space flying tiger drop.)

This is all a bit pie-in-the-sky and it would take a lot of work (and I don't even know what kind of database software would be required to handle it). I don't know if any of these ideas match up to what you're planning but I think there's an opening in the market for a site like what I just described.

That's EXACTLY where I hope this goes in the long run. I like how you think! The trivia was something I hadn't thought of, but that's a great idea. Labor intensive, but anything worth having generally is.

As for this part with the board here having recently launched the general chat topic open to view for members only, with a possible large influx of new members will there be any sort of extra restriction added for that? I only mention this because while I feel comfortable sharing personal details with the small circle here who I've come to be comfortable with in my couple years here, I don't feel comfortable with a large influx of new members reading all of that. If not I can always remove my posts there but it was just something I was wondering about.

That particular forum will remain for members only, but new members will continue to join the board. If there are privacy concerns, we might want to consider deleting the thread. I'll leave that to the community as a whole to decide.

I hope you’ll be podcasting, as well.

Stay tuned. :)

I've followed Loss around various message boards for what seems like forever now just because he's the type of guy who would attempt something like this and knock it out of the park. I'd be down for helping in any manner that I could (maybe a wrestling video game section?).

If you'll all excuse me using this thread to diary ...

I am so overwhelmed right now by how much work there is to do, but I'm encouraged that I've been sticking to my schedule, and that overwhelming feeling is a GREAT overwhelmed. My mind is racing constantly with new ideas and it's hard to temper them and just focus on what needs to be done, but I'm getting it done. The encouragement from all of you helps so much!

If you would be willing to take a few minutes to answer some questions to help me better understand the PWO audience, that would be hugely appreciated!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfi0ckQZNnhLkHpWL_jgVt3qRZNU7jCTsqoomKEzDQg_He88w/viewform

The question "Which wrestling websites or blogs do you read regularly" should probably be a multiple selection/checkbox instead of a single selection/radio button. Don't know if you can change it now.

• Loss unpinned this topic