Pro Wrestling Only

Comic books and Manga Thread

Mad Dog

The GI Joe comic from Marvel (and the IDW continuation, but I havent gotten to that yet) is worth checking out too, surprisingly enough. It gets really good once it starts focusing on the various power plays and backstabbing in Cobra, in fact, I'd argue that the Cobras, not the joes, are really the main characters (though the Joes get plenty of moments to shine during the battle scenes).

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do folks think about Remender/JR Jr's 2012-13 10 issue Captain America "Dimension Z" story? I powered through it this morning and was pleasantly surprised actually. I've always been a JR Jr fan and he's in full on Kirby New Gods mode here, especially with the Big Barda-inspired Jet Black character. A science fiction/cosmic/fantasy take on Cap is definitely unique and the story is actually pretty cool, mixed with flashbacks to his youth in depression era New York, and the end leaves him a man out of time again with his life totally turned upside down. Not sure if I'll continue with it, as JR Jr is done after #10. Really good stuff. Next up on my 2012 Marvel trip is Fraction's Fantastic Four and FF

I can see that. It's definitely a complete and total change from what came before. I was a big fan of Brubaker's run, although I stopped collecting comics around 2009. Obviously I didnt read this as it was happening. I didnt have high expectations going in, but I got totally sucked in as soon as I realized the story they were trying to tell. At this point in my superhero comics reading, I really love the idea of placing a long-established character in a completely foreign setting genre wise. When I was younger I would've probably been resistant to such radical change. But at the same time, the story is, at it's heart, consistent with themes that have run through Cap comics forever 

I think where I was also disappointed is I really liked X-Force with Remenber and this just kind of missed the mark. But I had been reading Cap for 8 years monthly by this point and it just wasn't the right time. I might give this a second chance though. I like the idea of taking characters out of their comfort zone for certain stories. I liked Iron Man going into space around this time as well.

It was weird and a little offputting but some of the specific story beats were both good and striking with the kid being an interesting component. I remember at the time feeling like it came too close to another seemingly "imaginary" story but I recall what that was off the top of my head.

I enjoyed Dimension Z.  My favorite Cap run is Brubaker, but I tend to like the "familiar character in unfamiliar surroundings" stories too.  I think it was OJ way back in this thread who said that Cap is a hard character to write interesting stories for and I agree.  It's kinda the same deal as Superman where you have to really love the character (and I do in the case of Cap) to sit through a lot of the samey reactions he has to whatever it is the villains are doing.  The villains do a lot of the heavy lifting in the morally upright hero stories.  If you don't really get into those moments where the hero comes through and figures out how to fix things in a satisfactory way to them a lot of it will fall flat for you.  Also, if taken wrong Cap will come across as super stuffy and authoritarian with some of the less law-abiding heroes when he makes appearances depending on the writer.

Somebody on page 8 mentioned that a lot of the Astro City books were pulled from Kindle.  I read that in late 2020 Busiek announced he was going to start releasing Astro City in graphic novel form with no monthly comics.  No timeframe, but very exciting!

8 hours ago, dawho5 said:

Somebody on page 8 mentioned that a lot of the Astro City books were pulled from Kindle.  I read that in late 2020 Busiek announced he was going to start releasing Astro City in graphic novel form with no monthly comics.  No timeframe, but very exciting!

I just read the first two runs on my kindle within the last month, can't speak to the most recent stuff though. 

I read them as single issues on comixology unlimited, I don't know if that plays into it. They are categorized in a weird way and in a way that makes them hard to find in search, but if you find the first issue of a run, when you get to the end of the issue, it'll link to the next. 

I would buy the trades but they're bloody expensive and/or out of stock/print. My library system has a bunch of them, so I'll probably go that route. It's a pain in the ass, because they were all on Kindle free with an unlimited subscription (Comixology unlimited is unavailable in Canada because of reasons) until last September or so and then they were pulled 

23 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

What do folks think about Remender/JR Jr's 2012-13 10 issue Captain America "Dimension Z" story? I powered through it this morning and was pleasantly surprised actually. I've always been a JR Jr fan and he's in full on Kirby New Gods mode here, especially with the Big Barda-inspired Jet Black character. A science fiction/cosmic/fantasy take on Cap is definitely unique and the story is actually pretty cool, mixed with flashbacks to his youth in depression era New York, and the end leaves him a man out of time again with his life totally turned upside down. Not sure if I'll continue with it, as JR Jr is done after #10. Really good stuff. Next up on my 2012 Marvel trip is Fraction's Fantastic Four and FF

You're not alone, brutha. I dug the story, but it *was* at a time when I was just reintroducing myself to contemporary Marvel comics, so maybe I just missed reading Cap and really enjoyed seeing him in such a unique setting for his solo series. I thought they tapped into some interesting themes, the art was amazing, and it all wrapped up neatly.

I believe I have my immediate feedback somewhere in this thread a couple of years ago when I initially read the arc. Probably right before I dove into Secret Empire, if I recall correctly.

I find that being outside the bubble really helps make these arcs more enjoyable though. I'm not plugged into a lot of what's happening AS it unfolds. I wait for trades, let the love/hate whiplash reactions die down, and give things a thorough read after the fact.

I tend to view my wrestling and binge watch seasons of TV very much the same way.

Anyway, I came here to ask you guys for some recommendations. I've caught up on a lot of modern comics over the last few years since getting back into things. There was just SO MUCH I missed out on during my time away.

So, next up on the agenda is modern Daredevil. And by modern I guess I mean everything from Bendis on up to current day. Bendis seems to be the standard answer I get as to a starting point, but what do you guys say?

Courtesy of podcasts like Geek History Lesson and Only Stupid Answers, I know Mark Waid's run is one I've got to check out soon, too.

Can you guys point me in the direction of specific arcs/issues? I'm pretty much a blank slate when it comes to Daredevil, aside from the Miller stuff from the heyday of my fandom. I'm wide open for suggestions. Any recs are much appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

My guess is Busiek is signing with a new company and the IP goes with him. Conan and Star Wars both got pulled off or digital platforms when they moved to Marvel. 

That's a very likely hypothesis. Busiek's Astro City is creator-owned.

17 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Yeah, it seems like if you didnt nab them when they first came out you can't find them in brick and mortar stores. Amazon is largely expensive/out of stock. Ebay is way too expensive with shipping factored in 

I know you are in Canada. Do you want me to keep an eye out at local Half Price books for Astro City stuff?