Pro Wrestling Only

ECW 1993

Yo-Yo's Roomie

Bob Backlund is somewhat of an odd fit in ECW but given that we're talking about the early years of the promotion, I think this could've worked IRL. Curious to see where this is going.

And what a wild main event. Huge win for Sabu but at what cost?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ECW TV Episode 12 - 19/3/93

The show starts with Joey Styles standing inside a steel cage. "Welcome, wrestling fans, to the most action-packed hour of wrestling on the air. Coming up in just a moment, two men will enter this steel mesh cage, and put it all on the line for the ECW television championship. We will see sweat, we very well may see blood, but whose tears will stain the mat here tonight?" Run credits.

Match 1: 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton (c) Vs Maximilian Payne. Steel cage match for the TV title with a 15 minute time limit.

Styles has scuttled to his commentary position as the introductions are made. An initial jockeying for position tells us that Payne is the stronger man, but it doesn't take long before this devolves into brawling. Payne is laying in the chops when Mr Loverman plays, and Mike Shaw and Madusa make their way to the commentary booth. Shaw and Madusa take shots at Payne. "What do you think, Maddy? You think Payne has ever kissed a girl?" "I don't think he's even talked to a girl before. Let me tell you, he got close to me a couple of weeks ago, and the smell was overwhelming." Styles tries to remain professional and call the match. Shaw says he hopes Payne wins the belt so that he can take it off him. Payne is dominating in the ring, and grinds Eaton's head into the mesh, cutting him open. He bites into the wound and then points at Shaw as if to warn him what he's in store for. Eaton fires back with punches, but is cut off by an overhead suplex. Styles puts over how Payne was trained in the New Japan dojo in the same class as Chris Benoit and Too Cold Scorpio, and says he was considered the best prospect in that class. Shaw isn't impressed. "I do my training in the bedroom, and there ain't no-one in my class, right, Maddy?" "You got it, Sugarlips". Payne hits the Pretty Hate Machine, but Eaton kicks out at two. Payne goes up top but misses a splash, giving Eaton his comeback opportunity. Payne gets busted open too, and eventually Eaton finds an opportunity to go up top. He hits a flying elbowdrop from halfway up the cage, and gets the pin, consigning Payne to his first pinfall loss. 12 mins. Eaton offers his hand to Payne, and Payne finally shakes. Eaton leaves but is attacked in the aisle by Lex Luger and Ron Simmons who have emerged from the back. They toss him into the guard rail and then head to the ring. Payne is waiting for them as he walks out of the cage and goes at them, but they overpower him easily and throw him back into the ring. Simmons knocks out the ref and locks the cage door shut from the inside. Luger and Simmons then lay a beatdown on Payne, tossing him repeatedly into the side of the cage. Payne is a bloody mess. Cut to commercial.

We come back to see Payne being helped to the back as Styles informs us that officials were finally able to get inside the cage. Simmons and Luger both have microphones, and have climbed up opposite sides of the cage and are sitting on top. LL-"How fitting this is, the two biggest stars in ECW, in the wrestling world, looking down upon all you Philadelphia scum like the gods that we are. And just like Sabu is at home, wherever that may be, nursing a broken jaw and god knows what else, all you people know that the two men you see right here are untouchable, unbeatable and undeniably as good as it gets. Tell 'em, Ron, baby". "You people all thought this was a race thing. This was never a race thing. This was a respect thing. You see, in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, people like us, champions like us, are respected. But here in backwater Pennsylvania, in America's cesspit New York City, New Jersey, Chicago, you people have respect for nothing. Well, that's fine by us, because we're gonna keep coming out here, beating fools down, breaking bones if we have to, until we feel like you've learned something about respect." "We'll burn this whole state to the ground, and you pigs with it, and the rest of America will thank us". "There's a war starting here in ECW, and the South will rise again with Ron Simmons and Lex Luger right there leading the way".

Styles wonders if there's a force in ECW that can stop Luger and Simmons together. Nord's music hits and out he comes with his goblet. He passes Luger and Simmons on the ramp, and the two of them applaud him. He just walks on by. Styles fills us in on the injuries that Sabu suffered last week as we see slow-motion footage of some of the boots Nord laid into his face- stiff shots. Styles says one of those kicks broke Sabu's jaw. Sabu also has possible broken ribs and a concussion. He was taken to hospital immediately following the show, but checked himself out and hasn't been heard from since.

Match 2: Nord Vs Bob Backlund, 10 min time limit.

Backlund tries to wrestle with Nord, but Nord overwhelms him and beats him with the Road To Valhalla in about a minute.

Brian Armstrong cuts a promo in the back. Brian is decked in 'hip hop attire', and has a hip hop cadence to his speech. He's holding up a photo of Brad Armstrong. "Let me lay it down like this- missing, has anybody seen this man? I slapped him in the face and he turned around and ran. For 23 years he called me baby Brian, but last time I checked he was the one out here crying. Brad, you're an embarrassment to your family, but I don't sweat it. The only brother I have is Ron Simmons, and don't forget it. So where are you, Brad? I made a challenge, you gonna answer? I wouldn't fight me either, hell, I'd rather fight cancer. Oh, but tell old Bullet Bob I said hi. Next time I'll hit you so hard that it'll make him cry". He rips up the photo and walks off disgusted.

Match 3: The Arkansas Hit Squad Vs The Highwaymen, none-title, 10 min time limit.

We see how the match came about- the Highwaymen walking out on the AHS in an 8-man tag, and then the brawl between the two teams last week. The AHS have a pop-up promo in which they say that all highwaymen eventually see the noose. Both teams take turns cheating to gain an advantage, but the Hit Squad pick up the win when Knight pins Steve Henry after the Hangman's Noose. 5 mins. Styles tells us that he's hearing that next week Knight will get a shot at the TV title.

Maximilian Payne cuts a promo in the back with a bloody face. "Luger, Simmons, you cut me down. Yeah, you cut me down and made me gasp for air, asphyxiate on my own blood. But you made the mistake of not finishing the job. I'll remember this pain for a long time, but I'm gonna serve it back to you ten-fold. I'll be seeing you boys next week".

Match 4: Scott Levy Vs Azrael, tv time remaining. About 5 mins.

We see replays of Azrael's previous attacks on Levy. Styles puts over Azrael's debut as a big deal. Levy comes out to the Wall Street theme, and gets the mic. He says Azrael doesn't scare him, and he may be the angel of death, but he (Levy) worships at the altar of the almighty dollar, and that is more powerful than any angel. Over the PA: "Whether rich or poor, all must join me in the danse macabre". And Azrael enters with the smoke and the cloak with angel wings on the back. He climbs into the ring. Levy tries to get in his face, but Azrael sends him flying back into the corner, and then makes short work of him, finishing him off with the spinning powerbomb. About a minute.

Styles tells us that next week, as well as the TV title match, it has been confirmed that Luger and Simmons will team up against Payne and Barry Horowitz.

ECW keeps on delivering. You know it's going to be a great show when it starts off with a cage match. I love how Eaton is booked here. Luger and Simmons just might end up running ECW. Brian Armstrong cracked me up. His inevitable feud with Brad should be a lot of fun. Poor Bob Backlund, he took a beating from Nord. I wonder if Backlund will snap here in ECW?? Fun match between Highwaymen and AHS. AHS are looking pretty solid. Azrael is making some noise and has a strong showing by dismantling Levy. I really liked what you're doing here with a lot of these wrestlers. It gives them a chance to shine and show what they can do.  

ECW TV Episode 13 - 26/3/93

The show starts with Joey Styles in the ring. "Welcome to ECW TV, the most action-packed hour of wrestling you'll find anywhere. We have another huge show to bring to you tonight, but first of all I have two major announcements to make. First of all, due to the success of our Bloody Valentine event, I am pleased to announce that ECW will be putting on another special event. This will occur on Easter Sunday, the 11th April, right here in the ECW Arena. And the first match signed for this big night of action is a match that has been building up for several weeks. It will be Maximilian Payne going one on one with Mike Shaw". As he makes this announcement, we see Madusa make a beeline for the ring, looking upset and shaking her head. She climbs in the ring and Styles gives her the mic. "No, Joey. That match won't be taking place. In fact, Maximilian Payne won't be competing in any matches in the future for ECW. You see, earlier this week, my boyfriend, Mike Shaw and I were out celebrating our 3 month anniversary in a local Philly night club. At some point during the night I left to use the restroom, and on my way back I was confronted by Maximilian Payne". Madusa is getting emotional as she speaks. "He had obviously followed us to the club, and waited until I was on my own. And then, Joey, Maximilian Payne... he touched me, Joey. He put his hands all over my body. And I'm here tonight to make sure that he gets punished for his actions, so that he can never do something like that again". Maxx Payne walks out yelling that she's a liar. Madusa cowers behind Styles as Payne gets in the ring. Mike Shaw comes charging out the back, like a man possessed, pointing at Payne. Madusa, sobbing tries to calm Shaw down by he pushes her aside and he and Payne go at it. Styles tries to get between them but he takes an errant shot from Payne sending him sprawling. Wrestlers (Eaton, Horowitz, Morton, Highwaymen) and officials rush out and separate the two as we go to commercial.

We come back and Joey is at his table, selling the shot he took to the jaw. "Obviously some serious allegations made by Madusa towards Maximilan Payne. A very volatile situation developing tonight. I don't know what this means for our main event tonight, which was scheduled to be Maxx Payne teaming with Barry Horowitz against Lex Luger and Ron Simmons". Straight Outta Compton by NWA drowns out Styles and Brian Armstrong struts out for our first match.

Match 1: Brian Armstrong Vs Ricky Morton, 10 minute time limit.

Armstrong cuts the ring announcer off. "Shut your mouth, Mr Ring Announcer. Brian Armstrong? Nah, that was my slave name. From now on you can call me Brian X. Morton gets a good shine on X, whipping him around the ring. Mero joins Styles on commentary and lays into Morton for cheapshotting X. "Morton knows his time is up, so he has to resort to cheapshots. You know that big movie coming out this year, Joey, Jurassic Park? Well Ricky Morton is a fossil and he belongs in Jurassic Park". X begs off, really playing a coward, but in the end he picks up the win after a rake of the eyes followed by a tombstone piledriver. 6 mins. He gets on the mic. "You all just witnessed the birth of a superstar. The OG, Brian X, by any means necessary, heading to the top, can't be stopped. Brad Armstrong, I'm still waiting for you, bro. Come try me. I'll beat you like I'm a pimp and you're my ho. BX out."

A video airs showing Sid Vicious inflicting damage on people. Adjectives show up on the screen like violent, ruthless, bloodthirsty, and then Vicious. Then finally 'Extreme' and we fade out on Sid's maniacal laughter.

Scott Levy cuts a promo in the back. He says in business there are always setbacks, but great businessmen learn from their mistakes and end up all the better because of them. He says his father made a bad investment once, but he made back his money by firing a bunch of people. He says he went about things with Azrael all wrong, but now he knows exactly what he's dealing with, and challenges Azrael to a rematch next week. Styles says it doesn't seem like Levy has learnt from his mistakes at all.

Match 2: 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton Vs Knight w/Canterbury for the TV title, 15 minute time limit.

As the Arkansas Hit Squad come out they get a pop up promo. Knight says they're the most dominant tag team in the world, and it's time to add some singles gold to their collection. He points out he's pinned the like of Sid Vicious and Brad Armstrong in the past, so it will be nothing to beat Bobby Eaton. Styles points out that Eaton is 3-0 in title defenses, and if he gets to 10 he becomes number one contender for the ECW Heavyweight Title. Mero says not to worry about it. "He beat Ricky Morton and Maxx Payne. So what? Good victories, but how is he going to handle 300 pounds of Knight? Or if he gets past Knight, what about 400 pounds of Mike Shaw? Or the chaotic assault of Nord. Or maybe a certain Magnificent athlete?" Eaton sells for much of the match, as Knight clobbers him with basic brawling offence. Eaton takes the win with a sunset flip after 7 mins, but is set upon by the AHS after the bell. Before the double team can really get underway, Ricky Morton comes out and makes the save.

A video recaps Nord's dominance in ECW, including his beatdown of Sabu.

Joey Styles says he didn't get the chance to make his second big announcement earlier. "In one month's time, ECW will be taking our first trip to the Big Apple, as we film ECW for the first time in New York City. I can guarantee you we're going to rock New York like only ECW can with a stacked show, and we hope you can join us. This represents a huge step for ECW, and we couldn't do it without you, our loyal fans".

Lex Luger and Ron Simmons come out for the main event. They cut promos before the match. LL-"It seems like Maximilian Payne has got himself in a bit of legal trouble. Now you see, had Ron and I known what kind of a man Payne was, forcing himself on a defenseless woman, he would have given him even worse of a beat down last week. For that, Madusa, we apologise" RS-"But if he comes out for this match tonight, we'll fix it so he never does something like that again. You can take that to the bank". LL-"And as soon as we're done with Payne and his little buddy BH, we're going to get the hell right out of this inbred city, right out of this loser state, and back to Georgia, where the cookin' is a whole lot finer, the women look a whole lot better, and where athletes like outselves are appreciated". Horowitz's music plays and he skips out, waiting on top of the entranceway. The Payne's music hits and he comes out and the two rush the ring as Luger and Simmons flee the ring.

Match 3: Ron Simmons and Lex Luger Vs Maximilan Payne and Barry Horowitz. TV remaining, about 20 mins.

Simmons and Luger play chickenshits in this, not wanting any part of Payne. They do lots of stalling and baiting the crowd, and insist Horowitz start. They eventually get the jump on BH, and start a long beatdown, using lots of double teaming and dirty tricks, including pulling Payne off the apron just as BH is about to make the tag. Finally Horowitz fires up, he avoids Luger's charge in the corner, and dropkicks Simmons off the apron. He has the opening to make the tag and Payne is begging for it, but before it can happen Madusa comes out flanked by two 'cops'. She points Payne out and the policemen ask Payne to come with them. Payne is torn on what to do, but eventually he starts to go with them. He then tries to run back to the ring but the cops tackle him, cuff him and drag him out. Horowitz is easy pickings now, and although he shows a little fight, he is eventually taken down, and Luger and Simmons toy with him a bit before Simmons puts him away with the spinebuster slam, which he calls the Emancipation Proclamation. 17 minute match. Simmons and Luger get mics. LL-"It's just like all you Philadelphia scum to cheer for a criminal like Maxx Payne, a sexual predator, who, like you, can't actually find a woman who wants to be with him, so he has to try to force himself on one. And no, cousins don't count". RS-"I'm just surprised we got some cops up here in the North East who arrested the right man. I'm sure they had to fight every urge in their body not to go after the black man". LL-"Let's get out of this dump, Ron. We're too good for ECW and these people". The show fades out with Luger holding up his belt, and Simmons holding up the Georgia state flag.

LOL the Brian X gimmick is classic 90s. I hope Maximilan can prove his innocence. Eaton continues to shine as TV champ. Only a matter of time when Morton squares off with Mero. Loved the Sid and Nord videos. These guys fit right in with ECW. Down the road that could be a big money feud.  I'm sure Levy has something up his sleeve for Azrael. Man, Simmons and Luger are getting monster heat! 

ECW TV Episode 14 - 2/4/93

A video shows a recap of the Maxx Payne/Mike Shaw/Madusa angle from last week, and ends with Maxx Payne's mug shot.

Styles and Mero are in the commentary position, and Styles tells us that Payne was charged with resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer, while the sexual assault investigation is still ongoing. He confirms that Payne will indeed miss the 'Extreme Easter' show coming up on the 11th. Mr Loverman hits and Shaw and Madusa saunter out in celebratory mood.

Shaw has the mic. "It feels so good to see justice being served. And with that pervert, that sexual predator, behind bars where he belongs, my lady love, my Madusa - you look stunning tonight, darling - can rest easy. Payne should consider himself lucky that the police intervened when they did, because I was all set to rip him apart for putting his hands on my little sexpot. And I hope the rest of you guys take this as a warning. You can look, but never touch. Now, with that reprobate out of my hair, I can set about dominating ECW, and I'll start right now by swatting that mosquito known as Barry Horowitz".

Match 1: Mike 'Sugarlips' Shaw w/Madusa Vs Barry Horowitz. 10 mins.

Horowitz is game as he takes the fight to Shaw. A trip of the ankle by Madusa leads quickly to a Cuck Hold, followed by a Guaranteed Finish, giving Shaw the win in 3 mins.

Brad Armstrong makes his way out somberly, in his street clothes. Styles says there was a rumour going around that Brad would be here tonight to make some kind of announcement. Brad gets the mic. "Several weeks ago I had my heart broke, when my little brother blasted me in the face with a steel belt buckle. I tried to work out why a guy that I've watched over and protected his whole life would do something like that. I tried apologising to Brian, and he spat on me and slapped me in my face. After that I was given some time away to try to come to terms with things, but I was still watching the show. I watched as Brian said that his only brother was Ron Simmons. I watched as Brian insulted me and insulted our father. And I watched last week as Brian spat on the Armstrong name, and said he now wanted to be known as Brian X. You know, wrestling in my family, it was a tradition, and it was a point of pride, and seeing my own flesh and blood turn his back on all that.. well, it didn't just break my heart, it killed my love for this business. I was turning it over in my head, and I prayed on it, but only one decision made sense to me, and that was to walk away. That was to retire from professional wrestling. Just like all the big decisions I make in life, I went to my father, and he told me.. he said.... he said 'boy, I didn't raise no quitter. Now go back to ECW and give your baby brother the whuppin' that I neglected to give him'. So that's what I'm here to do. Brian X, you challenged me to a match, well I accept. But it isn't gonna be no technical classic. I want you in a country whipping match. Both of us are gonna be tethered to a leather strap, and using that strap is gonna be just as legal as a headlock. Boy, I'm gonna whip the sass out of you, and when I'm through you'll be begging to return to the family nest".

Match 2: 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton w/Ricky Morton Vs Canterbury w/Knight. 10 minute time limit.

Styles says this is a none-title match, but at Extreme Easter the tag team titles will be on the line between The Arkansas Hit Squad and the team of Eaton and Morton. He puts Eaton and Morton over as the two greatest tag wrestlers in history, and says this could be the first time they win the belts as partners. Canterbury bosses things for a bit but Eaton comes back. Knight tries to get involved but Morton negates him and Eaton rolls up Canterbury for the win in 6 mins. Eaton and Morton clear the ring of the Hit Squad. Morton then encourages Eaton to leave as he has some personal business to take care of.

"I just have a little business to take care of here. You know, every week I go home after competing, and I watch ECW TV. I watch it because, like you guys, I'm a fan, and also because I want to see what I'm doing well in the ring, and what I need to do better in the ring. You see, I may be a veteran, but that doesn't mean I don't still have stuff to learn. Anyway, the one thing I hear week after week when watching my matches is you, 'Magnificent' Marc Mero, running me down. Talking about how I'm a fossil from the 80s, talking about my mullet, talking about how I'm past it. First of all, yeah, I have a mullet, and it's fantastic, thank you very much. Now, you can say that the 80s was my decade, but I've had a lot of success in the 90s too. One thing is for sure, you can throw a dart at my career, and whichever day you land on, I guarantee you I achieved more greatness in that day than you have in your whole career. You wanna sit there running your mouth about me, well, how about you step out from behind that desk, get out from under Joey Styles's feet, and come down to this ring and say it to my face". Mero is saying that he has nothing to prove to anyone, and he'll compete on his own terms. Morton continues, "You know, travelling up and down this great country, I got a bit of a reputation. I had a different girl in every town. That's rock n roll, baby. Now, they weren't all winners. Hey, it can't be filet mignon every night. But I gotta say, those pretty little lips aside, you, Marc Mero, are about the ugliest woman I've ever seen". Mero sells this as a big affront to his manhood. He takes off his headset and makes his way to the ring, barking threats all the way. He's wearing slacks, dress shoes, designer shirt, a real Flair/Rock get-up. A referee runs out.

Match 3: Ricky Morton Vs 'Magnificent' Marc Mero.

Styles puts this over as a big deal, an impromptu match with Mero making his debut. As the ref checks Morton over Mero attacks, laying into him with punches. Mero does a little Ali shuffle, then winds up for a big haymaker. Morton ducks and hit Mero with the Rockin' Rana for the win in under a minute. Mero is incensed as Morton ducks out the ring and backs up the entranceway, puffing up his mullet to mock Mero.

Another Sid Vicious video airs. We come back and Styles explains that Mero has left the arena. He also says the Country Whipping match has been signed for Extreme Easter, and next week Brad Armstrong and Brian X will choose opponents for each other.

Lex Luger and Ron Simmons make their way out. RS-"We told you all that there was a war starting, and that the south was going to rise again, but not even we knew just how little resistance we were going to get. Sabu was the first to step in our way, and where is he now? Next we singled out Maximilian Payne, and we found out that he, just like all you Pennsylvanian scum bags, had no morals, and no fight." LL-"It's obvious to me, Ron, that up here in the North East of America, and especially here in ECW, there isn't one man, let alone two, who can stand up to the Southern Justice we're dishing out". Enter Sandman hits, and out comes the Sandman. Luger laughs. "Hey, Ron, do you know the Sandman? This is the guy I took the ECW title from, and then spent the next two months beating all over this crap hole which he calls his hometown. What are you out here for, Sandy? You know you ain't getting another shot at the gold." "This isn't about the belt, Luger. You beat me for the belt, and I accepted that. For now, at least. This is about the two of you coming out here for the past several weeks talking crap about ECW. How you're too good for ECW. This is about the two of you coming out here and talking a bunch of shit about my home town, and my home state. Pennsylvania is one of the great working class states in this country, and when you insult these people, my people, and this city and this state, well, now you pissed me off." LL-"Well, what are you gonna do about it? You wanna step in the ring and try us?" S-"I may look stupid, hell, I might be stupid, but even with the 6-pack I downed before coming out here, I'm not stupid enough to step in the ring with the two of you. That's why I brought some back up. I brought another native Pennsylvanian who is sick of you guys running down this state. In fact, this guy is a Pennsylvanian legend, 'the Living Legend', Larry Zbyszko". Zbyszko comes out, as Styles sells this huge. LZ-"You know, I've wrestled all over this country, and I have to say there's no place like home. When you insult the north east you insult me, and you also insult people like Bruno Sammartino, another guy from this state, a guy who I retired by the way. And nothing would give me more pleasure than giving the same treatment to you two loudmouths". Sandman and Zbyszko rush the ring, and a brawl ensues. The heels are soon outfought and they decide to retreat. Sandman has the mic again. "Now, there's a big show on the 11th, they're calling it Extreme Easter. Let's keep this simple. The two of us and the two of you. You want a war, we'll give you one".

Match 4: Azrael Vs Scott Levy, Tv time remaining, 10 mins.

As Azrael does his entrance, Levy attacks him from behind, socking him in the back of the head with his briefcase. He sends him into the steps and then rolls him into the ring. The ref holds him back and checks on Azrael. Azrael gets up to fight so the ref rings the bell. Levy jumps on Azrael again with boots, but Azrael powers up and destroys Levy in about 2 mins of official match time. Styles says Levy came with a plan, but the plan emphatically failed, and maybe he'll decide now to cut his losses with Azrael.

Styles says the Luger/Simmons Vs Sandman/Zbyszko match has been made official to join the Armstrong Vs X and tag title matches at Extreme Easter. He says next week on ECW TV, as well as Brad Armstrong and Brian X picking opponents for each other, there's going to be a huge double main event; the AHS against Sandman and Larry Zbyszko and Luger and Simmons against Morton and Eaton.

Poor Maximillian. For his sake I hope he gets cleared soon, then watch out Shaw! Morton and Eaton teaming up is tag team gold. Morton finally gets his hands on Mero and puts him in check...for now. Brad Armstrong showing some serious fire. I wouldn't want to be Brian X right now. Looks like Sid is heading for big things in ECW. Luger and Simmons continue to draw massive heat. Larry Z in ECW! Larry Z teaming with Sandman! How awesome is that. Well, Levy had a plan but it didn't work out so well. He better leave Azrael alone. I would defiantly but a ticket for Extreme Easter. 

ECW TV Episode 15 - 9/4/93

We start with Joey Styles in the ring hyping up Extreme Easter, telling everyone how to get tickets and how to pre-order the VHS. He runs down the card (Luger/Simmons Vs Sandman/Zbyszko, Arkansas Hit Squad Vs Eaton/Morton, Armstrong Vs X country whippin' match) and says he has it on good authority that more matches will be announced tonight. With that he's interrupted by Mike Shaw and Madusa who hit the ring. "Now you may remember that I was scheduled to compete this Sunday, but my opponent.. well, he seems to be otherwise engaged. But I said last week that with that dirtbag out of my hair, I was going to dominate ECW and I want to start with the television title, so Bobby Eaton, I'm challenging you to a match for your title this Sunday at Extreme Easter". JS- "But Eaton is already competing on Sunday". "I don't care. If he's any kind of champion, he'll accept my challenge". Eaton comes out into the aisle with a mic. "Big man, I don't have any problem defending my title against you. I'm fighting champion. But, I was just talking to the booking committee, and the problem isn't that I already have a match this Sunday, it's that you already have a match this Sunday". "What are you talking about? What match? Against who?" "Against him" We hear a maniacal cackle and Sid Vicious makes his way out. Shaw sells fear but stands his ground. Sid steps into the ring and the two have a stare down. Madusa approaches Sid and Shaw takes the opportunity to lay in some shots, but Sid comes back. He irishwhips Shaw, but Shaw grabs the ropes and slithers out the ring, retreating up the ramp. Styles has made his way to his table and puts over the match as a clash of the titans.

A quick recap of the Luger/Simmons/Sandman/Zbyszko confrontation last week precedes Simmons and Luger making their way out. LL- "So, it seems, Ron, that we have a fight on our hands this Sunday. The Sandman and Larry Zbyszko think that they are going to defend the honour of their home state, and end our reign of dominance here in ECW. A reign of dominance that has seen us put Sabu on the shelf, and has seen us beat and bloody Maximilian Payne. It's fitting to me that the best this state can offer is a drunk loser, and an old man who's still living on accomplishments from over a decade ago". RS- "Sandman, Larry, I hope you boys know what you've got yourself into. You're stepping onto the field of battle with the premiere athletes in this sport. You're stepping into battle with the ECW champion, Lex Luger. You're stepping into battle with this angry black son of a bitch, and we ain't gonna be taking no mercy on you. It may be Easter Sunday, but believe me, when we put you down, there ain't gonna be no resurrection. We put you down, you stay down, and we'll show you what we're talking about right now."

Match 1: Ron Simmons and Lex Luger Vs Ricky Morton and 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton. 15 mins.

As Eaton and Morton come out we see video of Morton beating Marc Mero last week, and Styles says Mero is notable by his absence. Styles also talks about Simmons and Luger attacking Eaton after his cage match with Payne some weeks ago. We see in the early going Eaton and Morton using great teamwork to frustrate their foes, really putting over that they're a threat to the tag belts. Simmons and Luger start to double team Morton, but he comes back and makes the hot tag to Eaton. Eaton and Morton have control of the match and Eaton goes up top for the Alabama Jam on Simmons, but Luger pushes him off the top rope after dealing with Morton on the outside. Simmons hits the Emancipation Proclamation on Eaton to get the win after 11 mins.

Scott Levy cuts a promo in the back. "Fear is an interesting thing. People fear the unknown, people fear success, people fear death. I fear nothing, because I have this (holds up a fistful of dollars), and this means power. This is more powerful than the sword, more powerful even than death. Azrael, you beat me once because you were an unknown. You beat me a second time because I underestimated you. But I don't fear you. In fact it is you that should fear me because this makes me unstoppable. I challenge you to one more match. This Sunday, I want you in the ring, and I want you with no holds barred. And, if you beat me a third time, I vow to never step foot in an ECW ring again. And you can take that to the bank".

Brad Armstrong hits the ring. "Now, I was supposed to pick an opponent for my baby brother, Brian Armstrong tonight, but I decided that I don't want anyone hurting a hair on his head - not until I get my hands on him first". Brian X comes out. "You know Brad, I had the same thought. Most of all I don't want you to have any excuse for when I beat yo ass this Sunday. But then I thought about it a little more, and I changed my mind" Nord's music hits and out comes the Viking King.

Match 2: Brad Armstrong Vs Nord, 10 mins.

Brad launches himself over the top onto Nord as he approaches the ring. He lays into him with punches on the outside as Brian X joins Styles. "That wasn't supposed to happen". Brad takes the fight to Nord, but Nord takes over in the ring and starts to lay a beating on him. BX- "Save some for me, big guy. You know, Joey, don't you think it's typical that whitey over there would want me in a country whippin' match? What is it with white folk wanting to whip on us brothers?" Brad puts up a real good fight against Nord, but eventually falls to the Road to Valhalla after 7 mins. Brian X struts down to the ring and takes out of his baggy pants a leather strap. He starts to whip Brad with it until officials pull him away.

An AHS highlight package airs, before Sandman and Zbyszko make their way out. Sandman says that in war their are always rules of engagement, but he and Zbyszko are gonna throw out the rule book on Sunday. Zbyszko says their opponents tonight may call themselves the Arkansas Hit Squad, but he and Sandman are the Pennsylvania Wrecking Crew, and they're gonna dish out their own brand of justice tonight.

Match 3: The Arkansas Hit Squad Vs Larry Zbyszko and The Sandman. None-title match, 15 min time limit.

Zbyszko starts off by outwrestling both members of the Hit Squad individually, to show he can still go. Sandman dominates with brawling to show what he brings to the table. The AHS cheat to gain the upper hand, but it's short-lived and Zbyszko and Sandman are ruling the roost. They look like they're setting up for dual piledrivers, but Simmons and Luger come out and go on the attack, bringing about the DQ after 8 mins of action. A 4-on-2 beatdown develops, but Morton and Eaton come out to even the odds, and the show ends with a wild and crazy 8 man brawl as Styles gets his last plugs in for Sunday night.

Sid versus Shaw! YES! Really looking forward to the Luger/Simmons-Sandman/Larry Z match. It's going to be all sorts of crazy fun. Man, Brad goes down to Nord and gets humiliated by Brian X. Brad is going to be beyond fired up come Sunday. Levy puts it all on the line. I just know he's got something up his sleeve for Azrael. Fun main event that ends in pure chaos! I'm liking the AHS as champions but Eaton and Morton are tag team legends. You're really doing an incredible job. So much fun to read. Keep up the outstanding work. 

ECW Presents EXTREME EASTER - 11/4/93

Joey Styles is in the ring to welcome us to the ECW Arena for ECW's biggest show ever. He talks about the main event but is interrupted by Lex Luger and Ron Simmons who stroll out holding the Georgia state flag. RS: "If I was you, Joey, I'd get out of this ring, because we're in no mood for your Yankee bullshit right now. And all you people can thank the fact that I just know your corrupt police force are itching to throw a Southern black man in jail for the fact that I don't come out there and beat the hell out of every last one of you. Because I could." LL: "You better believe he could. But what we're out here for right now is to let all you people know that if you came here tonight with any idea of seeing your heroes, your so-called Pennsylvania Wrecking Crew, beat us, well you can just get that idea out of your head right now. This city sucks, this state sucks, nothing good came out of here but a bunch of losers, and that goes double for the Sandman and old man Zbyszko". RS: "We represent the great state of Georgia, and the whole of the Southern US, and tonight we're gonna have Yankee blood on our hands. And we're going to start right now". Luger slides out the ring and grabs the timekeeper, a mere slip of a man, who cowers in fear. Luger drags him into the ring as he begs for mercy, instead receiving a crushing slap to the face from Simmons. Styles is disgusted by this. Luger lifts the timekeeper into the Torture Rack but before he can really cinch it officials, Sandman and Zbyszko run out. Simmons and Luger flee, having made their point.

Match 1: Mike 'Sugarlips' Shaw w/Madusa Vs Sid Vicious, 15 minute time limit.

Before the match starts Shaw asks Madusa to get him a mic, which she does. MS- "Now listen to me, Vicious. I didn't ask for this match with you, and I have no beef with you. I'm the number one contender for the television title, and it isn't in my best interests to compete here tonight. What's more, I'm sure you have no interest in a fight here tonight either. So, what do you say we call this one a tie, a no contest, and go our separate ways. Referee, raise my arm, and then raise his arm. This is a draw." Sid responds with a big boot to the face and the ref calls for the bell. Styles is still selling what happened to open the show, and points out we have a replacement timekeeper. Sid pounds away on Shaw for a bit, but Madusa hops up onto the apron and the distraction allows Shaw back into the match. Shaw dominates for several minutes, barking at Sid "you should have taken the draw you stupid son of a bitch". He cuts off a Sid comeback, and then applies the Cuck Hold. He next signals for the Guaranteed Finish, but Sid avoids the splash. Sid is in full 'no sell' mode now, reigning down on Shaw with punches. He sets for the powerbomb, but Madusa is back on the apron. Sid grabs her, but Shaw attacks from behind again. Shaw gives Madusa a kiss, but turns around into a chokeslam from Sid, which gives him the duke. 8 mins.

Zbyszko and Sandman cut a fired up promo in the back. Sandman- "You wanna come into our back yard, our home state, and throw out the rulebook. Well, let's do it, let's throw out that rulebook. I'll bring the blood, I'll bring the sweat, I'll bring the violence..." He starts beating himself in the head with his Singapore Cane. :Z-"What my partner means is if you want to fight tonight, then let's do it properly. No rules, no disqualifications, no count-outs. Just four guys beating the hell out of each other until one team has had enough. And we'll show you why we call ourselves a wrecking crew".

Match 2: The Arkansas Hit Squad Vs 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton and Ricky Morton. Tag team title match with a 30 minute time limit.

The early going sees the babyfaces in total control, with a dazzling display of tag team wrestling; quick tags, double team moves, a little cheating thrown in. Eventually Morton gets low-bridged over the top rope and the champs take over with their usual simple brawling offence. Morton takes a pounding but manages to make the hot tag to Eaton, who unloads with punches, kicks, back elbows and kneelifts. Morton is back in for a donnybrook and he and Knight fight to the outside. Morton tries a hurricanrana on the floor but it's countered by a powerbomb. Eaton is up top for an Alabama Jam, but Knight pushes him off the top and a Hangman's Noose later allows Canterbury to get the pin and retain the belts after 14 mins. After the champs leave Morton crawls back into the ring to check on his partner. he never sees Marc Mero jump out of the crowd and cold cock him from behind. Mero mounts Morton and unleashes a flurry of punches, before turning him over and grinding his face into the mat. He see the mat turn crimson as blood spurts out of Morton's nose. Mero is finally escorted away. Styles speculates that Morton has a broken nose, and says he doubts that's the last time blood will be spilled tonight.

A video airs showing the history between Scott Levy and Azrael.

Joey Styles points out that Tatanka is sitting in the front row tonight. "The stars are here tonight. There's Christopher Chavis, the Warhorse, who formerly wrestled as Tatanka. Another great young athlete who will be making his debut soon here in ECW, the place to be.

Match 3: Scott Levy Vs Azrael. 15 minute time limit, no holds barred. If Levy loses, he will leave ECW.

Levy is out first and attacks Azrael as he enters the ring. Styles says Levy has lost convincingly twice before to Azrael and wonders what his tactics will be tonight. Levy is soon on the receiving end of a beating, but ducks out the ring. Azrael goes after him, but Levy was expecting this and pops him in the head with his briefcase. He sends him into the guard rail. Azrael stays on his feet but has slowed down some. Levy sends Azrael back into the ring and tries a cover, getting a 1 count. Kicks and punches follow, but Azrael reverses a suplex. He charges Levy in the corner but Levy moves. Levy goes for the Levy Breaker DDT, but Azrael lifts him up and tosses him across the ring. He then unleashes with clotheslines and a gorilla slam. Finally he signals for the Dance of Death, his spinning powerbomb. He lifts Levy up but a huge 500 pound black man with a mohawk and shades enters the ring the clubs Azrael from behind. He then drops Azrael with a front powerslam, and finishes up with a splash. He helps Levy cover Azrael, and leans on him for some extra leverage as Levy picks up the 1-2-3 in 6 mins. This behemoth then carries Levy to the back. Styles tries to get a word with the pair as they pass, but they ignore him.

A video package, set to 'He ain't heavy, he's my brother' airs, first showing old photos of Brian and Brad Armstrong together through the years, then footage of them wrestling together as partners, the good times, and then the belt buckle shot heard around the world, Brian X ripping up a picture of Brad, slapping him, spitting on him, and whipping him with the strap, and ending with a shot of Brad Armstrong crying.

Match 4: Brad Armstrong Vs Brian X. 30 min time limit. Country Whippin' Match (strap match rules).

Brad walks out totally stoic, whereas Brian, who already has the strap tied to his wrist, is full of energy. BA-"Brian, before we do this, I want to give you one more chance to put an end to all this nonsense. We can forget everything that happened, and just go back to the way things were between us. What do you say?" Brian looks like he's thinking about it, then kicks Brad in the gut and starts punching him in the head. The ref attaches the other end of the strap to Brad and we're underway. Brian is totally on the offensive, choking Brad with the strap and 'clotheslining' him with it. Brad seems really out of sorts, at one point trying a leapfrog but being caught with a shot to the groin, another time mistiming an elementary dropkick. Brian is trashtalking Brad as he chokes him and whips him with the strap. Brad finally starts to fire up and pops off a quick powerslam to turn the tide. However, he baulks at using the strap as a weapon, and that allows Brian to hit another low blow. Brian goes up top but Brad uses the strap to pull him down. Brad then tries to touch the corners but Brian cuts him off and delivers a neckbreaker. Brian follows that up with a pumphandle slam, and then cockily strolls to the corners. Before hitting the last turnbuckle he turns to Brad and says he's a disgrace, just like his father. He then spits on him. He reaches out for the last turnbuckle, but Brad has been roused and holds him back. It's a tug-of-war which Brad wins by pulling Brian back into the middle of the ring and finally opening up with a bevy of punches. He whips him with the strap and then gives him a brainbuster. Brad touches the first three corners, but then stops, apparently second guessing himself. He drops his head and rolls out the ring, hands on hips. Then he looks up with a look of conviction on his face and pulls from under the ring a belt with a heavy metal buckle. he climbs back into the ring and wraps the belt around his fist. The buckle has 'Armstrong' on it. He waits for Brian to stand and then knocks him out with the belt buckle, touches the last corner and drops to his knees in a mix of jubilation and relief. 15 mins.

Styles says the main event will now be no holds barred, but says now we have a bonus match.

Match 5: Bob Backlund Vs Nord. 10 minute time limit.

Styles says Backlund asked for this match after being embarrassed by the effort he put forth in his last encounter with Nord. This time Backlund does a little better, using some amateur wrestling holds to frustrate the big man. But soon he falls to the Road To Valhalla and Nord picks up another win in 5 mins.

Mike Shaw and Madusa cut a promo in the back. Shaw says he may have lost tonight, but he's still the number one contender for the TV title, and it won't be long before he has a beautiful championship belt to go with his beautiful girlfriend. Madusa says 'Beautiful' Bobby doesn't know the meaning of beauty, and Mike Shaw is the hottest man in wrestling.

A video shows us how we got to our main event, including what happened earlier.

Match 6: Lex Luger and Ron Simmons Vs The Sandman and Larry Zbyszko. No Holds Barred. 1 hour time limit.

Big introduction for all four men, and a face off in the ring before the brawl begins. They fight around ringside, with the babyfaces firmly in control. Simmons and Zbyszko have paired up and are battling in the ring, with Zbyszko biting and clawing his way to an advantage, while Luger and Sandman renew their rivalry and fight into the crowd. Luger avoids a Singapore cane shot and low blows Sandman. He then opens him up with heavy fists. He charges at him with his bionic forearm, but Sandman moves and Luger hits Christopher Chavis by mistake, knocking the Native American out. As medics help Chavis out, Luger and Sandman continue to do battle through the crowd, while Simmons has taken over in the ring. Simmons is choking Zbyszko with the Georgia flag, but Zbyszko fights back and locks on a sharpshooter in the middle of the ring. Simmons is in pain but Luger is back and clotheslines Zbyszko from behind. All four back in the ring again and they swap partners for a bit as they continue the fight. The heels are now on top, and Zbyszko gets lacerated after taking a cane shot to the head. It looks like they're getting ready to polish their opponents off but Sandman avoids a spinebuster with a kick to the balls, and Zbyszko wriggles out of a torture rack and locks on a Cobra Clutch. Sandman and Simmons go to the outside where Sandman busts Simmons open with a chair shot. He then takes a table out from under the ring and sets Simmons up on it, putting him through it with a senton bomb off the apron. In the ring Luger has backed Zbyszko into the corner to break the Cobra Clutch, but Zbyszko gets hold of the cane and levels him with it. Luger turns to find Sandman waiting for him with a chair. Sandman kicks him, tosses down the chair and then piledrives him onto it. He covers for the three count and the victory after 25 minutes. Zbyszko and Sandman tear the Georgia flag in half and climb into the crowd, celebrating their win with the fans. Styles sells it as a huge moment, and thanks everybody for watching as we go off the air with Sandman and Zbyszko drinking beer in the crowd with the fans.

WOW! Easter Extreme really delivered! Luger and Simmons make a statement with heat to start the show but it backfires on them later. Big win for Sid but Sugar Lips says he's still in the game. AHS retain against tag team legends. Mero gets some payback on Morton but I have a feeling Morton will come back with a vengeance. Cool seeing Tatanka pop up here, should be interesting to see what he does in ECW. I knew sooner or later Levy would have a surprise for Azrael and he does in the form of a 500 LB monster. Liked the video prior to the strap match. This feud has been built up so well and the payoff was sweet justice. Brad really gave Brian a true whippin at the end. Poor Backlund, falls to Nord again. One thing about Backlund, he wont give up. Wild and Crazy main event as these guys brawl all over the place. Even Tatanka felt the affects of this fight. The fans really went home happy after that finish. Awesome job! 

ECW TV Episode 16 - 16/4/93

The show starts with Joey Styles in the ring bigging up Extreme Easter, and telling fans how they can order the VHS. "But here at ECW we don't rest on our laurels, and next week is another huge night for us. ECW will take a bite out of the Big Apple, as for the first time ever we bring you ECW TV from New York City. And we're giving New York a show like only ECW can as, for the first time ever on ECW TV, all three championships will be on the line. We will see Mike Shaw get his shot at 'Beautiful' Bobby's TV title. We will see the Arkansas Hit Squad defend the tag team titles against a team on a roll here in ECW, The Sandman and Larry Zbyszko. And the big one, Lex Luger defends the ECW title against the new number one contender, Sid Vicious! But we haven't forgotten about you fans here tonight, and do we have a main event for you. It's going to be a star-studded 6-man tag team elimination match. On one team will be Mike Shaw, Scott Levy and the Viking King, Nord, and they will be facing the TV champion, Bobby Eaton, Brad Armstrong and Sid Vicious." The Wall Street theme blasts out and Scott Levy marches out with his 500 lb beast. "Hit the bricks, Styles. Well, now maybe you see that when I said I was going to dominate ECW, I wasn't joking. This right here is Nelson Frazier. 500 pounds of pure brute force. You see, a man of my means is always going to be a target, so I went out and got myself some security. The best that money can buy. This man would take a bullet for me, ain't that right, Fraze?" "That's right, Mr Levy". "I pay him well, and he does what I say, when I say it, and with this man watching my back, the whole of ECW better be prepared for the Scott Levy era".

Match 1: The Highwaymen Vs Bob Backlund and Barry Horowitz. 10 min time limit.

The Highwaymen get a pop up promo in which they call themselves the best tag team in ECW and say it's only a matter of time before they're wearing gold. Styles talks about Backlund's poor record since coming to ECW. Basic tag team match which the Highwaymen win with their finisher, Stand and Deliver- an inverted atomic drop/superkick combo. 7 mins. Backlund takes the fall and is visibly frustrated after the match.

A clip airs of Marc Mero attacking Ricky Morton at Extreme Easter. Styles says Morton has a broken nose.

Lex Luger and Ron Simmons angrily storm to the ring. LL- "Everybody shut your mouths, because I'm not in the mood for any of your bullshit. Now I came here tonight about ready to explode because of what happened at Extreme Easter. Everybody who saw that match knows that Ron and I were robbed. The referee was biased, we had the whole crowd against us, and they changed it to a no holds barred match, which we didn't prepare for. Then I show up here tonight, and I find out I have to defend my ECW title next week against Sid Vicious. What the hell did he do to earn a shot at my title? It's obvious that the powers that be here in ECW are trying to screw me, and trying to screw Ron Simmons and we're not going to take it. I'm begging someone to step up to me tonight, because I'm in the mood to destroy someone". Luger spies Christopher Chavis in the crowd. "What's this? Aren't you the guy I knocked out with my forearm at Extreme Easter? You got something to say about it?" Luger and Simmons approach Chavis. "Come on, you look like you have something you wanna say." Chavis is maintaining his cool. "Seriously, what happened to you, that was an accident. You were just collateral damage. Come on, come in the ring. We smokem peace pipe". This raises Chavis' ire and he climbs over the barricade. Luger and Simmons get into the ring and invite him in. He climbs in tentatively. "Come on, Tonto, I'm kidding around. I wanna apologise for knocking you out. Really" Chavis grabs the mic. "My name isn't Tonto. It's Christopher Chavis". "Okay, I'm just having a little fun. I know who you are. They call you the Warhorse, right? Well, there's a war going on in ECW right now, Mr Warhorse, and I'd like to know which side you're on. Because you see, you're either with us, or against us". With that Simmons attacks Chavis from behind. They do a number on him then whip him to the ropes. Chavis ducks and hits them with a jumping double clothesline. Chavis clotheslines Simmons over the top, then goes to work on Luger with chops. He whips him but Simmons pulls Luger out the ring. Luger is shouting "you're dead" to Chavis as Simmons ushers him away.

We come back from a commercial break to see Luger throwing shit around in the back as Simmons tries to calm him down. JS- "Major breaking news here, folks. I can tell you that our 6-man elimination tag match has now been changed to a regular one-fall match. That is because we just found out during the commercial break that Lex Luger is going to face Christopher Chavis in the ring here tonight, and get this, it's going to be for the ECW title. Luger got into the face of ECW owner Tod Gordon, demanding a match with Chavis, and Gordon said well, if you want the match, let's put the ECW title on the line".

Match 2: Nord, Scott Levy and Mike 'Sugarlips' Shaw w/Madusa and Nelson Frazier Vs 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton, Sid Vicious and Brad Armstrong. 30 min time limit.

All 6 men get some time to show what they can do in this match. At one point Nord and Sid square up and start exchanging punches. Sid comes out on top and clotheslines Nord over the top rope. Nord goes batty, tearing down part of the guard rail and rampaging into the crowd. Levy and Shaw try to calm him down, but Nord pushes Levy down on his ass. This sets Frazier off who approaches Nord with purpose, but Madusa, Shaw and Levy manage to intervene and calm things down. The faces play to the crowd as this goes on. Brad Armstrong ends up playing face in peril for a while. With the heels in control, Azrael comes out of nowhere and starts laying shots into Frazier on the outside. Levy jumps on Azrael and the three of them start brawling in the aisle, and to the back. This distraction allows Brad to hot tag Eaton. Now we have a melee. Sid and Nord start brawling, leaving just Eaton and Shaw. Eaton strikes with a missile dropkick, and then goes up top for an Alabama Jam. With the ref distracted by what's going on around the ring, Madusa crotches Eaton on the top rope. Shaw avalanches Eaton in the corner and pins him for the win. 20 mins. Madusa hands Shaw the TV title, and he holds it up victoriously.

The Arkansas Hit Squad cut a promo in the back saying Arkansas is tougher than Pennsylvania and that they've put a hit out on the Sandman and Larry Zbyszko.

Match 3: Lex Luger w/Ron Simmons Vs Christopher Chavis. ECW title match with TV time remaining, which is 15 mins.

Chavis is a house on fire in the early going, dominating Luger with chops, a dropkick and such. Luger gets the advantage, and his class and experience start to show. Simmons gets some shots in too, but Sid Vicious comes out to even the odds. Sid basically stands watch to make sure Simmons doesn't interfere. Luger is still dominating though, before Chavis makes a spirited comeback, getting nearfalls with a big powerslam and then a small package and backslide as time starts to slip away. Luger ends up jamming a thumb in Chavis' eye and then gets him in the Torture Rack. Chavis fights through the pain for a couple of minutes before time runs out and this is declared a draw, which Styles puts over as a big feat for Chavis in his debut match. Simmons gets in the ring but Sid does too, and we end with a staredown between Luger and Vicious.

Good follow up from Easter Extreme. Highwaymen get a strong TV win. Ut Oh, Backlund is starting to get frustrated. Luger and Simmons stir it up with Chavis which almost comes back to bite Luger. Morton and Mero should be a fun program. Fun 6 man tag with all sorts of chaos. Like the Levy/Frazier pairing but doesn't look like Azrael is through with them. Shaw gets the fall on Eaton, setting up their big TV title match. Good way to end the show with a Luger/Sid stare down. 

ECW TV Episode 17: ECW Takes Manhattan - 23/4/93

We open with a video, showing black and white stills of New York City as George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue swells up. We hear a voice: "Chapter 1. He hated New York City. The smell, the noise, the people.. No, make that he despised New York City. To him, no matter what the season was, this was a city that always reeked of the sweat of 8 million left wing do-gooders' unwashed armpits. No, let me start this over. That's too romantic. Chapter 1. New York City sucks. When he thought of the city he wanted to throw up, like the effects of so many street corner pretzels. Whoa, too angry. I don't want to be angry. Chapter 1. He was as tough and romantic as the city he loved. Atlanta, Georgia. New York couldn't contain his sexual prowess, so he left and never came back. I love this." We cut to Lex Luger standing in Times Square as the music abruptly stops, and Ron Simmons walks into the shot. RS- "What the hell are you doing." "The New York City tourist board found out I was going to be in town and, as the city's most famous son, they asks me to write a little something for their next brochure". "You think they're going to print any of that?" "What do I care? They paid up front. Come on, let's take care of Sid Vicious and then get out of this dump." They walk off. LL- "Hey, did you know New York City has more rats per square foot than any other city in the world?" "Yeah, but the rats in the South are more accommodating" "You got that right". They exit the shot laughing, as the opening credits roll.

Joey Styles is in the ring and welcomes us to the show, and says it's good for him to be home in NYC. He is interrupted by 'Magnificent' Marc Mero's music, and Mero joins him in the ring. "What better place for me to make my return than right here in my home city. Of course, I had to move to the suburbs because of all the crime. But I know you people worship me like a king, so I came back just for you. Plus, I've been watching the last few weeks, Joey, and you've really been stinking it up on your own. Now, I do just want to mention Ricky Morton really quickly. You see, for weeks I'd been planning my in-ring debut here in ECW. It was going to be perfect, triumphant, epic. But Ricky Morton took that away from me. He goaded me into a match, and then cheapshotted me and beat me. Now I'll never get that debut match back again, but I did make an example out of Ricky Morton when I broke his nose, and I hope now everyone will see that 'Magnificent' Marc Mero is no laughing matter".

Match 1: "Beautiful' Bobby Eaton Vs Mike "Sugarlips" Shaw w/Madusa. TV title match with a 15 minute time limit.

Mero and Eaton have a little staredown in the aisle, and Mero tells Eaton he needs to worry about Shaw, not him. Styles reminds us this is defense number 5 for Eaton. Shaw is dominating the match with his girth, cutting off any flurries Eaton gets in. When Eaton finally gets the big man off balance, Madusa is on the apron to cause a distraction. Shaw looks like he's about to finish things off but Eaton avoids the Guaranteed Finish. He hits a dropkick off the second rope to take Shaw down but Madusa is on the apron again. This time Eaton grabs her and asks the crowd what he should do. Shaw runs in but Eaton moves sending Shaw into Madusa, then he rolls Shaw up and pins him. 8 mins. Shaw catches Eaton with a clothesline after the match, and then hits a Guaranteed Finish. He's lining up another when 'Rape Me' plays over the PA, and Maximilian Payne appears in the crowd, still wearing his prison-issued clothing. Shaw sells it like he's seen a ghost as Payne beelines towards the ring. The two start hammering away at each other, with Payne getting the advantage. The fight spills to the outside and Payne sends Shaw into the ring post then gets a chair. He misses a wild swing and Shaw takes the chance to flee, with officials and security holding Payne back.

Sid cuts a promo in the back about how Luger is a bully who uses the numbers game to his advantage. He says he can take care of Luger and Simmons on his own if he has to, and that he will become the new ECW champion tonight.

Styles and Mero are talking about Payne's shocking return. Mero says Shaw will make him pay. Out of nowhere, Ricky Morton, wearing a Virgil-style face mask, dives across the announce table and starts wailing on Mero. He drags him down to the ring and throws him in. He beats him down in the ring with punches and then starts ripping off Mero's custom made suit, stripping him down to his underpants and socks, Mero runs off humiliated as Morton celebrates in the ring.

A video shows Scott Levy and Nelson Frazier walking down Wall Street. Levy tells Frazier that he's dominated "this world", and now it's time for him to dominate the wrestling world. He says he sees championship gold in his near future. Frazier just gives a "yes boss". A homeless man asks Levy for some change. Levy gives Frazier a nod and Frazier grabs the bum by his collar and lifts him up above his head. Levy just walks off with a smile. "I love this town".

Bob Backlund comes out to the ring. "I had a dream of returning to New York City, the city where I made my name, and I would be on top of the wrestling world once again. Well, I guess it hasn't worked out that way. I didn't come out of retirement and come to ECW to be a loser. I see that my old ways, the technical way, isn't getting me very far around here. But if any of you are old enough to have seen my fights with the likes of Stan Hansen and Killer Khan, you'll know that I can brawl with the best of them, and if that's what it takes..." He's cut off by Larry Zbyszko's music. LZ- "Bob, we're from the same generation, and we both made our names here in New York City. Me when I retired Bruno Sammartino, and you as the WWF champion. When I look at you now, you don't just make me embarrassed, you make me sick. You can talk all you want about the past and your great brawls, but unless you start to show it in the present, you may as well go back into retirement. Because right now you're not cutting it, and it's frankly pretty pathetic to hear you out here making excuses. Suck it up, stop crying like a bitch, and get extreme". Backlund gets in Larry's face, and kinda nods in agreement before leaving the ring.

Match 2: The Arkansas Hit Squad Vs Larry Zbyszko and The Sandman. Tag team title match with 20 mins time limit.

Larry Z and Sandman dominate the early going, before a double team starts on Zbyszko. Ron Simmons joins Joey on commentary, and tells Joey to shut his New York mouth while he calls the match. Zbyszko gets the hot tag to Sandman and Sandman is a house of fire. All four men are brawling and Sandman pulls a table out from under the ring. "Aw, hell no" says Simmons as he heads down to the ring. Sandman stops to jaw jack with Simmons and gets ambushed by the champs. A Hangman's Noose spells the end for Sandman after 11 mins. Simmons spinebusters Sandman off the apron through the table. "That's your receipt, white boy". Zbyszko tried to make the save but was cut off by the AHS who now set him up for the Noose, but Backlund comes back out with a chair and runs the AHS off.

A video recaps the Luger/Chavis match from last week. Styles says Chavis will be in action next week, and Brian X makes his first appearance since losing to Brad Armstrong at Extreme Easter. Styles then tells us that due to his earlier actions, Simmons has been escorted out of the arena meaning Luger must now go it alone with Sid.

Match 3: Lex Luger Vs Sid Vicious. ECW title match. 15 minutes remain.

Luger comes out with the Georgia flag. Sid is dominating the match for 5 minutes or so, until he misses a big boot and gets his leg hung up on the top rope. Luger goes after Sid's leg, including hitting it with a steel chair. "Disqualify me then!" Sid makes a one-legged comeback, getting a big nearfall with the chookeslam. He can't execute the powerbomb though and Luger slithers out the ring. Sid follows, but Luger kicks him in the knee and gets another chair. The ref takes the chair from him but this gives Luger the chance to hit Sid with the ECW belt, which busts him open. He rolls Sid back in the ring, but Sid kicks out a pin attempt at two. He goes for the running forearm but Sid ducks and goes for the powerbomb again. His leg gives out once more and this time Luger lands on top of Sid, hooks him tightly, grabs the ropes, and gets the win just as the show is coming to a close. Luger lays some more boots into Sid's leg as the show ends.

I like the Mero/Morton feud and Mero on commentary really adds to it. Eaton continues his solid reign as TV champ. Maximilian Payne returns!!! Shaw and Madusa are in serious trouble. The Levy segment was brilliant. His character is getting over. Larry Z gives Backlund some tough love and it looks like it worked as Backlund storms out with a chair to save him. It's great watching Backlund and Larry Z in the midst of ECW chaos. AHS are having a good run here. I'm sure Sandman will be looking for some payback on Simmons. Luger retains and showed no mercy on Sid's leg. 

ECW TV Episode 18 - 30/4/93

We open with Joey Styles in the ring as he pimps tonight's main event, the match they had to change two weeks ago; Mike Shaw, Nord and Scott Levy Vs Bobby Eaton, Sid Vicious and Brad Armstrong in an elimination match. He is cut off by Lex Luger and Ron Simmons. Simmons bullies Styles out the ring as Luger gets a mic. Luger says it's funny what a difference a week makes, as he went from the embarrassment of being pinned by Sandman at Extreme Easter, to picking apart Sid Vicious last week to retain his title. He says ECW keeps lining them up and he keeps knocking them down. Simmons says he made his own statement last week when he put Sandman through a table, and showed everyone that you don't mess with the south. Luger says the ECW arena stinks worse than usual tonight, so they're going to get out of there. As they leave Christopher Chavis makes his way out for his match. Chavis and Luger have a little staredown in the aisle.

Match 1: 'The Warhorse' Christopher Chavis Vs Steve Henry w/Rex Mason. 10 minute time limit.

This is really a showcase for Chavis, as Styles puts over him hanging with Luger in his debut match. Chavis overcomes some interference from Mason to put Henry away with a fallaway slam in 5 mins.

A video airs showing Maximilian Payne's return last week. Then we cut to some CCTV-type footage of Scott Levy and Nelson Frazier chilling in the back. They are approached by Mike Shaw and Madusa. Shaw wants to buy Frazier's services for the evening to protect him from Payne. Levy says he doesn't need the money but says he'll accept another type of payment, as he looks Madusa up and down. Shaw starts to huff and puff but Levy tells him to relax. He says if anyone tries to interfere in their match tonight, be it Payne, Azrael, or anyone else, then Frazier will take care of it.

Match 2: Azrael Vs Brian X. 10 minute time limit.

BX looks proper pissed off as he walks out, and Styles reminds us all that this is his first appearance since losing the Country Whippin' match to Brad Armstrong as Extreme Easter. X tries to get the jump on Azrael, but Azrael overpowers him and wins in 3 mins. Azrael does a cut throat gesture into the camera and Styles speculates that it's aimed at Levy and Frazier.

We come back from a break to see Brian X still in the ring with a mic. X blames Brad Armstrong for his loss, and says that he won't rest until he has run Brad out of wrestling. He says the Armstrong family is a disgrace and he spits on their name and their legacy. Tracy Smothers' music hits and Smothers walks out. Styles says we haven't seen Tracy in a while and notes that he is close with the Armstrong family. TS- "Look at you. Look at what you've become. Are you so stupid as to not see what your family - yes, your family - has done for you. How they've loved you, protected you, taken pride in you. All my life growing up in Georgia I watched your family and spent time with your family, and I wanted more than anything for my last name to be Armstrong. And here you are throwing it all away, for God knows what reason. Brian, you're an Armstrong and you need to look deep inside yourself and remember what that means". "Tracy, you're in luck, because for tonight only, you get to be an Armstrong". BX takes Smothers down and mounts him with punches. Smothers turns the tide and they go back and forth until Brad Armstrong runs out. Brad pulls Smothers off BX and tries to calm with down, but BX cheapshots Brad from behind, knocking him into Smothers, before retreating up the ramp barking threats.

Match 3: Brad Armstrong, 'Beautiful' Bobby Eaton and Sid Vicious Vs Mike 'Sugarlips' Shaw, Scott Levy and Nord w/Madusa and Nelson Frazier. Elimination match with TV time remaining, about 35 mins.

Lots of back and forth in the early going, with everyone getting some ring time. Vicious is still selling the damage that Luger did to his leg last week. Shaw and Madusa come out looking nervously around. Nord and Sid have another confrontation with Sid again coming out on top, which sends Nord bananas again. Shaw tags in as Nord rampages in the crowd and in the kerfuffle Madusa screams as Maximilian Payne walks out into the aisle. Frazier steps confidently into the aisle blocking Payne's path to the ring. Shaw mocks Payne but turns into a chokeslam from Sid. Sid tags Eaton and Eaton finishes Shaw off with the Alabama Jam, eliminating him after 12 mins. Payne backs away, laughing, happy with his work. The heels take over with Brad playing face in peril for a bit. He hot tags Eaton and Eaton goes to work on Levy. Sid cuts off Nord but Frazier trips Eaton as he runs the ropes. Levy drops Eaton with the Levy Breaker and pins him after 20 mins. Levy celebrates like he has just won the TV title, and doesn't see Brad Armstrong come off the top with a missile dropkick, and Levy is gone after 21 mins. As the ref gets an angry Levy out the ring, Frazier pulls BA out the other side, whips him into the steel barricade, and then pancakes him against it, leaving him clutching his ribs on the floor. Sid returns to his corner as Nord waits for Brad in the ring. Brad just beats the 10 count, but Nord goes to work on him. Nord misses a charge in the corner, and somehow makes the tag to Sid. Sid is dominant, and ends up hitting a chokeslam on Nord, but Nord kicks out at 2, shocking Sid and Joey Styles. Sid regains his composure and goes for a powerbomb, but Nord clubs at his injured leg and then hits the Road to Valhalla, pinning Sid in the middle of the ring after 27 mins. It's almost a carbon copy of earlier as Armstrong hits a missile dropkick on Nord but Nord kicks out. Nord goes to the floor and BA planchas out over the top onto him, but this does as much damage to Armstrong as it does Nord. Nord is up to his feet first and hits the Road to Valhalla on the outside. He rolls him back into the ring and stalks him as Brad bravely fights back up to his feet. Another Road to Valhalla is all she wrote though, ending the match at the 32 minute mark. Styles puts over Brad's fighting spirit and Nord's dominance. Nord is yelling that no warrior in ECW can stop him, when the lights flicker off and on. Nord is looking around but no-one comes out.

We have a few mins left so Styles shows us some replays of the match and then announces that based on happenings in this match, next week we will get Scott Levy Vs Brad Armstrong in a TV title number one contenders match. He also says that next week he will interview Maximilian Payne, and Bob Backlund has challenged a member of the Arkansas Hit Squad.