Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Super Show-Down

KawadaSmile

What does a Shawn Michaels match in 2018 even look like? It seems like a safe bet that it contains some shitty soap opera style dialogue & a lot of close-ups.

I *do* think a lot of you have unrealistic expectations regarding Shawn's return here. Here's a guy, who is coaching in Florida to keep a steady check coming in. I'm not saying the guy needs the money or anything as extreme as that, but we all have bills. Priorities. Families to provide for. So yeah. OF COURSE he'd take an opportunity to make an absurd amount of money in one night when/where/while he can get it.

All the talk of legacy, kayfabe retirements, etc. is nothing compared to cold, hard cash at the end of the day. It's just a matter of offering ENOUGH cold, hard cash. That's all.

Ideally, sure. You'd want the return to occur at Mania - telling an epic story, creating this picture perfect arc, creating a meaningful conflict, and culminating in a satisfying showdown that they actually commit to their continuity.

But that stuff simply doesn't matter to them anymore. Instead, we're likely to get an announcement on Twitter. And then a match that ultimately means nothing by the conclusion of the show itself. That's just how they operate now.

And why not? Their fans will continue to watch. Hell, the majority of the people complaining will continue to watch. So what incentive do they have to do anything different?

From their perspective, they're making more money than ever this way. And they're not losing traction with their fans. Why would they pour all this creative effort and resources into angles and stories - when they can just announce matches, run a bunch of rematches, and still garner the same results? The people that are watching are going to continue to watch and support them, regardless.

Some folks will threaten that they'll stop watching, but in reality most people don't. Recent history has proven this to be true.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

What does a Shawn Michaels match in 2018 even look like? It seems like a safe bet that it contains some shitty soap opera style dialogue & a lot of close-ups.

Would probably be hilarious, honestly. With CorpseTaker, would be even better.

31 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Some folks will threaten that they'll stop watching, but in reality most people don't.

Hey, I did ! ;) Of course it doesn't matter, I was never paying a dime to them to begin with to watch their stuff… That being said, after Mania last year and the crazyness of the whole week-end, I was seriously considering going maybe for my 30 years of being a pro-wrestling fan in 2020. As of now, that idea is deader than Rusev & Lana main eventers career.

I'm amazed he lasted 8 and a half years retired. But yeah, if these, morally repulsive, super shows in Saudi Arabia are going to be the place where Shawn Michaels comes out of retirement, for a meaningless exhibition match with minimal build for a show that only matters to WWEs coffers then that's a really awful omen for the next few years. Why bother booking to make money when you can pocket a fortune from this lot every year?

Shocked at the lack of mentions of NXT and Shawn's NXT class/proteges in all the Shawn Michaels return talk. It/they are what gave him the actual itch. Micheals has turned down big money offers before.

Wouldn't be

Wouldn't be shocked if HBK wrestles Ciampa or Gargano.

shocked if HBK wrestles Ciampa or Gargano.

Wouldn't be shocked if HBK wrestles Ciampa or Gargano.

I'd presume that if he is coming back to face Taker, the match with AJ won't be long after. I just don't see how Michaels would want to come back and have a match that didn't actually push him in any way. It'd be like Kobe Bryant coming back for a 1-on-1 game against Steve Nash or Allen Iverson while LeBron is standing on the sidelines. That's the match that would get buzz and even the WWE knows it - they based a whole Table for 3 episode on the "What If...?" potential.

Then again, this is the company that dragged their feet with putting Lesnar in the ring with anyone that wasn't Cena, HHH, or Taker for the first 2 or so years after his return.

1 hour ago, rovert said:

Shocked at the lack of mentions of NXT and Shawn's NXT class/proteges in all the Shawn Michaels return talk. It/they are what gave him the actual itch. Micheals has turned down big money offers before. Wouldn't be shocked if HBK wrestles Ciampa or Gargano.

I kind of would be. Bryan apparently was lobbying hard to have a match with him and he said no, you'd think that would have been the better itch-causer than some NXT guys. 

Pretty sure Michaels recently said he wouldn't want to wrestle an AJ type because expectations would be too high and he can no longer have the kind of match fans would be expecting. Whereas, with one of his old veteran buddies, they can work smart and hide their deficiencies by telling a good story.

1 hour ago, NickH said:

I still want HBK vs Rock. Problem is neither would want to lose.

I'd wager neither one gives a shit about winning and losing a fucking wrestling match. Seriously?  The Rock is the biggest star in Hollywood and can do whatever he wants, including "losing" a wrestling match; and Micheals hasn't been that guy since 1998.

edit: I just realized you were making a joke, but come on. :)

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

I kind of would be. Bryan apparently was lobbying hard to have a match with him and he said no, you'd think that would have been the better itch-causer than some NXT guys. 

He's deeply invested in his advanced class at the Performance Center.

Don't be shocked if Shawn wrestles Ciampa between now and Wrestlemania.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 1:32 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Micheals hasn't been that guy since 1998.

Shawn was very much that guy when he came back.

The shit fit over Hogan, the fact that for several years, the only person he put over at all was Hunter. Did he get a little better as his career winded down? Sure. But it's not like he was even putting people over like Cena's trying to.

I wouldn't expect much of a stage since they only have a week to build it, be interesting to see what they come up with. They might have to make the ramp an escalator so the Undertaker can make it down.

Seems this is scheduled for 5 hours. Bloody hell. How many north of the equator are going to watch this live?

6 hours ago, NickH said:

I wouldn't expect much of a stage since they only have a week to build it, be interesting to see what they come up with. They might have to make the ramp an escalator so the Undertaker can make it down.

Seems this is scheduled for 5 hours. Bloody hell. How many north of the equator are going to watch this live?

Here in the UK the pub down the road is showing it as a breakfast-lunch deal, easily beats the midnight-5am of mania.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:38 PM, NickH said:

Are you going to the show?