Pro Wrestling Only

World Class Championship Wrestling July/August 1986

GeneJackson95

Great set of shows.  I could only imagine what Fritz and Boesch could have done if they came together more often.  Killer Khan is one of those heels that as a kid you always thought could beat anyone and I would have been nervous for Kerry.

The Funkin Revenge Tour promo was great and had me wondering if that would have been censored.

Battle of the Belts was fun:

A win in the debut for Valiant was great.  He is perfect short time and always gives a promotion a bit of a push.  The win for Wrestling 2&3 takes some pressure off a 2 to look good in front of 3.  Great title matches but I was surprised that no titles changes hands.  It is all good with me but I was just waiting for the shoe to fall.  When we got to the semi-main event I just thought it was coming

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even begin to imagine how wild and crazy must've been Dr. D vs Jimmy Jack Funk. Chaotic would be putting it mildly.

And I definitely love Terry Funk showing all of his guts and audacity with that challenge against the Freebirds. I got no idea where this is going but this will be a highly emotional contest to say the least!

Man, those fans were really lucky to see a stacked card like that in a H.S. venue. 

Fantastic promo from Terry Funk! That's a man on a serious vengeance tour. OMG, did Dusty just throw out a subtle challenge to Kerry? That could be mind blowing in Texas.

Battle of the Belts delivered a great night of action. Valiant and Beefcake make quite the pair. Wrestling 2/3 get a strong win over Tojo's men. It's funny because I really like both of those teams. Hot Stuff and Street put on a fun match. A trip is all it takes for Adonis to put you out. Chaotic end to the 6 man title match. If this means a Road Warriors/Brody-Hansen feud then I'm all for it! Kerry sends the fans home happy with a successful title defense. 

The last 2 matches in Ardmore would have been worth the price of the ticket for the whole show for sure.  

Killer Khan is such a great first challenger for Kerry.  I wonder who Beefcake has in mind.  Incredible promo by Funk and starting the revenge off in Amarillo is absolutely the way to go.  Dusty suggesting he would take on Kerry is going to blow up in his face.  Not sure if Muta could make Regal seem interesting, but it might work.  Brody/Hansen against the Headhunters on TV is a Hell of a match.

Mega Stars continue their build.  Valiant in Texas is definitely a surprise and a good one.  Wrestling 3 is getting a good push.  I wonder if he gets to pin Muta.  Gilbert and Street sounds like an incredibly uncomfortable feud for Gilbert.  I'm sure that would entertain the fans.  Adonis hangs onto his title in a heelish manner and I approve.  Schultz has been tearing it up since his return.  I honestly think the Super Ds need a high profile win at this point to be considered challengers for anything.  Hansen/Brody are agents of chaos, so what they did here definitely seems in line.  Kerry is going to have a great run if the Nikita and Killer Khan matches are any indication.

Battle for the Belts was pretty great stuff. The Highlight for me would have been the NWA Title match with Kerry getting a good run and showcasing his star power in the right way.  I also thought the six-man with the Road Warriors and Dusty v the Birds would have drawn a huge house on its own but with this card it is in a good semi-main spot. Adorable Adrian has done well enough here in Texas and has some legs left.  I am getting more of an appreciation for Eddie Gilbert thanks to your use of him and some old footage. He has an upside but it seems like he's destined not to hit the glass ceiling. 

• GeneJackson95 changed the title to World Class Championship Wrestling July/August 1986

In an effort to stay caught up after a really busy couple of weeks of "real life" .....this week's tv is a recap episode...hopefully next week will be back to normal

World Class Championship Wrestling TV

Recorded at the Sportatorium in Dallas, TX on 8/7
Airing on Friday 8/9 on WTVT throughout Texas
And various outlets across the Southwest
Hosted by Bill Mercer and Bruce Prichard
Ring Announcer/Interviewer: Marc Lowrance

This week's TV is mostly highlights from last week's event in Houston hyping up tomorrow night's event in San Antonio….such as Brody/Hansen stealing the Road Warriors World Tag Team Title belts….Funk defeating Adonis…etc.

The rest of the show was featured highlights of the Great American Bash event in Dallas……concluding with the full match of Kerry Von Erich's NWA World Heavyweight Title victory over Nikita Koloff.

We close the show with Marc Lowrance running down the card for tomorrow night in San Antonio….

World Class Championship Wrestling

Sports Arena

Amarillo, TX

Saturday Aug 9, 1986

Bell time: 7:30pm

MAIN EVENT

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

"Modern Day Warrior"

Kerry Von Erich

Vs.

Dory Funk Jr.

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

NWA World Tag Team Championship

The Road Warriors (Animal/Hawk)

w/Paul Ellering

Vs.

Bruiser Brody/Stan 'the Lariat' Hansen

BUNKHOUSE MATCH (Non-Title: Pringle & Arcidi barred from ringside)

Terry Funk

Vs.
"Adorable" Adrian Adonis

BOUNTY MATCH

"The Ugandan Headhunter"

Kamala w/Gary Hart & Friday

Vs.

"The American Dream"

Dusty Rhodes w/Saturday (Jimmy Valiant under a hood)

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair/Jim Brunzell)

Vs.

The Super Destroyers (#1/#2)

REVENGE MATCH

Mr. Olympia

Vs.

Ted Arcidi w/Percival Pringle III

Eight Man Tag Team Elimination Match

Mr. Wrestling 3/Mr. Wrestling 2/Scott Putski/Steve Simpson

w/Brutus Beefcake

Vs.

The Great Muta/Killer Khan/Kendo Nagasaki/Tojo Yamamoto

w/Gary Hart

WCCW Television Championship

Special 30 Minute Time Limit

"Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert w/Missy Hyatt

Vs.

"Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda

Big Bubba Ottman

Vs.

"Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Missy Hyatt

World Class Championship Wrestling

Sports Arena

Amarillo, TX

Saturday Aug 9, 1986

Bell time: 7:30pm

Big Bubba Ottman pinned "Hustler" Rip Rogers w/Missy Hyatt after a 'big splash'

WCCW Television Championship

Special 30 Minute Time Limit

"Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert w/Missy Hyatt pinned "Exotic" Adrian Street w/Ms. Linda with his feet on the ropes…..afterwards Missy Hyatt and Ms. Linda got into a "cat fight" that had to be broken up by Street & Gilbert

Eight Man Tag Team Elimination Match

Mr. Wrestling 3/Mr. Wrestling 2/Scott Putski/Steve Simpson w/Brutus Beefcake

Vs.

The Great Muta/Killer Khan/Kendo Nagasaki/Tojo Yamamoto w/Gary Hart

Results:

Mr. Wrestling 2 eliminated Tojo Yamamoto by pinfall with a running kneelift

Killer Khan pinned Steve Simpson after a savate kick

Scott Putski pinned Kendo Nagasaki with a sunset flip

Great Muta pinned Scott Putski after a moonsault

Killer Khan was eliminated by DQ when he spewed green mist in the eyes of Mr. Wrestling 2, who also had to be helped back to the dressing room and eliminated by countout

The Great Muta pinned Mr. Wrestling 3 following a moonsault after being distracted by Gary Hart to be declared the winner of the elimination match

REVENGE MATCH

Mr. Olympia pinned Ted Arcidi w/Percival Pringle III

The Killer Bees (B. Brian Blair/Jim Brunzell) defeated The Super Destroyers (#1/#2) when Brunzell pinned Super D #1 after a dropkick

BOUNTY MATCH

"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes w/Saturday defeated "The Ugandan Headhunter" Kamala w/Gary Hart & Friday by DQ when the Botsawana Beast hit the ring and attacked Rhodes, Saturday at ringside hit the ring with a chair to make the save……Saturday then removed his mask unveiling "Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant!!  Rhodes then grabbed the mic and laid down a challenge for a tag team match next week in San Antonio!

BUNKHOUSE MATCH (Non-Title: Pringle & Arcidi barred from ringside)

Terry Funk defeated "Adorable" Adrian Adonis by submission with a spinning toe hold in a bloody brutal match…..post match Arcidi hit the ring to attack Funk….but David Shultz ran in and laid out Arcidi……as Funk was getting back to his feet….Shultz said, "You asked for me in San Antonio well you've got it you son of a bitch!" as he kicked Funk's knee out from under him and started putting the boots to him until Dory Funk Jr hit the ring and Shultz retreated

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

NWA World Tag Team Championship

The Road Warriors (Animal/Hawk) w/Paul Ellering fought Bruiser Brody/Stan 'the Lariat' Hansen to a double count out…..in the midst of the turmoil Ellering managed to apprehend the World Tag Team title belts back from the ringside table

MAIN EVENT

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

"Modern Day Warrior" Kerry Von Erich pinned Dory Funk Jr. with a small package as Dory went for a spinning toe hold

Big win for Muta, I'll bet the moonsault popped the crowd. 

Dream & Boogie vs Botswana & Kamala will not be a match that earns a ton of stars... but it will be damned entertaining, I am sure.

I imagine Funk vs Adonis had some crazy bumping and violence. Funk vs Dr. D could be even more violent.

It would be tough to book Road Warriors vs Hansen & Brody as anything other than a DDQ or DCO. I'll bet the crowd was hot for that, and I'll alos bet they went home happy after seeing Kerry beat Hoss. 

The highlights from the Bash show would have made good TV.

Nice win for Ottman over Rogers.  I can see the Gilbert/Street feud is off to a good start.  Big win for Muta with two moonsaults!  That 8-man would have been all action.  Olympia and the Bees both with good wins.  Love the idea of "Saturday" as a counter to Friday.  Schultz as his usual mercenary self is awesome.  Good of Ellering to get the belts back in what had to be a chaotic match.  Kerry getting that win over Dory is a big deal.  Great follow-up to the Nikita stuff.

Gilbert retains against Street but looks like a mixed tag match might be coming soon. Fun 8 man elimination tag with Muta standing tall in the end. Cool seeing Muta's rise in the States. Mr. Olympia gets some sweet revenge. Killer Bees have a strong debut beating the Super Destroyers. Looking forward to the Bees run here in WCCW. Jimmy Valiant as Saturday was brilliant. Valiant teaming with Rhodes against the Headhunters should be a blast. Wild bunkhouse match as Funk starts his revenge tour but Dr. D plays spoiler. A brawling double countout is about right for the Road Warriors-Brody/Hansen match and Precious Paul gets the titles back. Great main event as Kerry gets another successful title defense over the always tough Dory Funk Jr. 

Nice treat for the fans in Amarillo.  The cat fight would bringing in some whistles in Texas and then those Texans would settle in for some real brawling and they would have enjoyed most of those outcomes and gone home happy.  Kerry vs Dory was some great booking based on location as was Terry and Dusty both getting wins

I think the entire Gilbert & Hyatt vs. Street & Linda stuff is gold. I don't think I've ever seen this play out in fantasy land before. Really good stuff. 

Dusty dealing with the Kamala brothers is pretty cool stuff. They may wind up with the Dream's head on a spear and use the bounty money to make a fire. You know, because tribal savages aren't aware of what currency is. :P

Funk and Adonis, ANOTHER dream match for me. These guys could wrestle every stipulation for months and it wouldn't get old for me.

Muta looked STRONG coming out of the elimination match.

I felt the revenge match between Olympia and Arcidi could have used a sentence or two of detail, simply because I'm a stickler for knowing the finish. Would love to see how Olympia put down the musclebound monster. 

Really creative stuff here.