Pro Wrestling Only

Mae Young Classic 2018 thread

donsem43

Jordynne Grace not being in was a surprise for me. She seems to be doing everything they want from someone coming up from the indies. She travels, works against a variety of people, and is super consistent in ring. I can't see an obvious reason for them to pass on her.

It's disappointing that neither Nicole Savoy or Shazza Mackenzie didn't make the cut. In cases like those, I wish ROH and Impact would be a more favourable option. I don't think anyone was upset when Viper and Kay Lee Ray signed with World of Sport.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what Jordynne's relationship is with WWE. But she is still recovering from a very bad rep she created for herself when she first broke into indie Wrestling. She was a brat basically. Part of the reason why some promotions specially SHIMMER Wrestling doesn't book her. I dunno what it is about young Texas wrestlers but Athena/Ember Moon, ACH and Sammy Guerrera found themselves in similar positions in the past. 

1 hour ago, Alucard said:

Surprised Nicole Savoy didn't get another shot here as well. ^ Also surprising there, never heard a bad word about Ember.

I haven't asked why Savoy wasn't used for MYC II. But I should.

Savoy had one of the crueller twists of fate in modern Wrestling. Her NXT tryout in September 2016 was basically a walkover. She was going to get signed. Then she completely tore her ACL on her first day at the tryout. I assume WWE wasn't impressed with her coming into MYC last year still peg-legged in a heavy knee brace risking further injury after begging her doctor to clear her.

Am a super big fan of a healthy Nicole great wrestler, look and charisma. Someone I think could really catch on. ROH should sign her as she's more "ROH" than the most/all of the WOH roster.

Ember will tell you she was completely blackballed from Texas Wrestling at one stage. She's now just really chatty and nice rather someone who would just talk a lot of shit.

Part of me wants to think that it was just a numbers game thing with Savoy. She's better than quite a few of the women who made it in, but several of those women were brought in to lose in the first round. She might be better off skipping this year assuming that the MYC is going to be an annual thing going forward. Granted, that's an optimistic view but didn't Dakota Kai have a tryout in 2014 and it took a while for her to get signed. 

Anyway, it's going to be extremely interesting to see how they book this. Who are the favourites? Io Shirai is the best in-ring worker under contract but would her winning be too samey after Kairi Sane winning last year? Does Toni Storm win because NXTUK is a legit thing now and they want to use this to kickstart building the woman's division around her? Or do they look at number of views that the highlight of Kavita Devi's match from last year got on YouTube and say"Screw it, let go!" giving her a Braun Strowman type push?

They will most likely try to line up more high quality matches in the second and quarter-final rounds. Last year's tournament really lack those truly buzz-worthy matches that the CWC had. Probably will see something Io/Zeuxis, Meiko Satomura/Mia Yim, or Tegan Nox/Nicole Matthews. I do think we'll get a Toni/Meiko match with Toni winning because those two are going to have a singles match in September for EVE. Given typical political joshi booking, Meiko can get her win back there.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, donsem43 said:

Anyway, it's going to be extremely interesting to see how they book this. Who are the favourites?

The spilt is 16 signed talents (12 NXT/4 NXT UK) and 16 unsigned talents.

Was told the plan last week was 2 "current roster stars" and 2 "outsiders" in the semifinals with little elaboration. I thought that more or less spelt out NXT's Deonna Purrazzo and Io Shirai and the "outsiders" of Meiko Satamura and NXT UK's Toni Storm.

Out of the whole MYC field, I think Toni and Io are the only two wrestlers that could beat Meiko and not have the crowd shit on it or her opponent. Toni Storm is probably winning the NXT UK title so she may not win here. WWE thought's on having two Joshis win back to back years will determine whether Io wins MYC II obviously. Io winning or not Kairi vs Io at the NXT Wrestlemania weekend Takeover is my money match. So why not have Io win then?

After stumbling upon her initial matches on Youtube for me this is my moment of truth when it comes to Deonna Purrazzo. I’ve long lost perspective and become paranoid a tad about all the nice things people say about her, how WWE views her or certain people there do. But I’d then go on and verify those things with other people only to find out they were true. I also think to a degree a lot of people on social media like her or like her MYC chance just because Casey Michael and myself have talked up her up so hard for years basically.

I do have confidence she can deliver at a very high level after watching her matches Madison Eagles and Momo Watanabe this year. Don’t be surprised if she wins the thing as Triple H is high on her. Personally, I think it would be kind of a smart move. As she is currently more of a worker type than a sports entertainer. MYC would be something to hang her hat on until she figures the personality side of her game out.

Personally, will be happy if she has one strong match and gets over. And overcomes the possible prejudice that doing so much WWE enhancement work might have caused.

A bit of talk about last night's first round matches, don't click on the spoiler if you're wanting to avoid the results.

Spoiler

So the first night's taping is now done.  No major surprises although I was expecting Xia Li and Taynara Conti to be first round fodder and both advance to night two (Xia's match with Karen Q being talked of as one of the matches of the night also).  Thought Vanessa Kraven would go further, although Lacey Lane (who she lost to) does have a great look to her.  Disappointed Jinny went out in the first round too.

3 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

A bit of talk about last night's first round matches, don't click on the spoiler if you're wanting to avoid the results.

Hide contents

So the first night's taping is now done.  No major surprises although I was expecting Xia Li and Taynara Conti to be first round fodder and both advance to night two (Xia's match with Karen Q being talked of as one of the matches of the night also).  Thought Vanessa Kraven would go further, although Lacey Lane (who she lost to) does have a great look to her.  Disappointed Jinny went out in the first round too.

Spoiler

Taynara looked amazing last night.

Best matches:

Spoiler

Satomura vs. Kelly, Storm vs. Jinny, Li vs. Q, Yim vs. Kay, Matsumoto vs. Evers, Conti vs. Elaban, Matthews vs. Dawn and Shirai vs. Brookside.

Conti and Kelly were breakout stars of the night for me. Conti worked really stiff and was landing some brutal shots on Elaban and Kelly was able to keep up with Satomura without looking totally outclassed by a much more experienced veteran.

Discussion of the tapings, so if you don't want a spoiler, don't look.

Tegan Nox has broken her leg. Her other leg. Reports say she was screaming in pain and crying as her father, who I assume has flown over from Wales for the occasion, watched on. How unlucky can one person be? Gutted for her.

Given the biggest story of the night, good luck to anyone wanting to watch this spoiler-free.

Spoiler

Nox seems to have broken her *good* leg doing a dive to floor in her quarter-final match with Rhea Ripley. They stopped the match to check on her, then she tried to keep going but couldn't so they called it off. 

Up until that point, it looks like it was a hell of a show. Even after getting things back in order, both of the semi-finals sound fantastic. Can't wait to watch it although the Nox injury will be tough to get through.