Pro Wrestling Only

Mae Young Classic 2018 thread

donsem43

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Are we talking about a possible career-ending injury here?

Honestly, don't know. But it is bad bad. Probably go down as new Amazing Red in terms of talent/upside: injury proneness/luck.

Too popular among talent and fans to coldly, quietly release or throw her in the dumpster behind the Performance Center so to speak like they would in the Coach Bill Demott era when his training would maim some poor dude. WWE in the last year did right by Paige even if the finger hovered of the release button a good few times. 

On 8/16/2018 at 3:39 AM, KawadaSmile said:

Yeah... them good times when I was barely 1 year old and wrestling had zero exposure in Brazil... time sure flies!!

In all fairness, from everyone I could understand, Taynara felt the most enthusiastic one - maybe pandering to rabid BR fans, but it stood out compared to the rest.

Taynara has incredible facial expressions and charisma. Alexa Bliss tier and beyond.

Her Twitter retweets the dorky faces she pulls.

The NXT TV episode a while back where she joined The Undisputed Era for a night showed her potential. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, first episode aired. First off, Michael Cole is just amazing when he's not micromanaged by Vince. Everybody should know this, but it bears repetition. Dude might legit be the best ever.

Anyway, the first match involves Tegan and I feel sad already. Shame.

Match #1 - Zatara (Chile) vs Tegan Nox (Wales): Zatara is quite good at being this deceptively vile heel. Curbstomps, hair pulling withouth remorse, nasty submissions... got Tegan quite over as this face who just came back from injury, and she herself is great. Good, yet simple stuff.

Match #2 - MJ Jenkins (USA) vs Rhea Ripley (Australia): Rhea looks like a million bucks, and MJ's Jimmy Hart version of Crazy in Love rocks. This was more energetic, and by God, Rhea is intense 100% of the time, it's so good. No way she doesn't become a big deal. Jenkins has a nice babyface fire, I like her.  Quasi-squash, but good enough to see potential in both of them.

Match #3 - Lacey Lane (USA) vs Vanessa Kraven (Canada): Both very cool entrances, and a nice David vs Goliath dynamic. Kraven was the standout in this match, and Lacey, despite needing some polishing (as her mistake early on when trying some fancy stuff showed), also looked very good, considering her experience. Nice dynamic but very short.

Match #4 - Killer Kelly (Portugal) vs GOD, also known as Meiko Satomura (Japan): Cole is fucking HYPED for Meiko - who wouldn't? They kicked each other's asses and it was very, very sweet. Satomura is a top 5 wrestler in the world, and damn if she didn't make Kelly look good. Cannot put Satomura over enough, my goodness. 

Overall, nice episode.  

28 minutes ago, Cornette's racket said:

I was wondering after seeing Meiko satomura if she had ever faced asuka(kana) in Japan. It appears it happened and it's on YouTube and it's brilliant stuff. I'd love to see it in WWE in some form. It wouldn't be as stiff as Japan but still in WWE I feel they could have a classic. 

Is it the Kana Pro-Mania match?

1 hour ago, Robert S said:

Really? I thought she looked green and sloppy, the worst wrestler of the whole night. On the other hand I thought here opponent looked pretty good.

She lacked the confidence she used to have on the indies for sure. Who can blame her after the year she had and she seems to be preoccupied with her repaired knee.

To me, Michael Cole came across as overselling her to those who were watching her for the first time. As she didn't come across as anyway special in her performance. 

I've not seen Nox before, but came away really unimpressed with her. She was probably my least favorite on the first episode. Also didn't care for Beth Phoenix on commentary. I thought she only brought broad video game soundboard clips. Renee Young on the other hand was fantastic. Meiko looked fantastic and I thought Kelly more than hold her own against her, awesome episode closer. Also think Lane could get really good eventually.

Our Episode 1 Review

This was a solid first episode. The first two matches were fine. Rhea Ripley did a lot of good things but it seemed like she was trying too hard to play to the hard cam. Meiko/Kelly was very good. A great way to introduce Satomura to a sizable number of the audience that had never seen her before as she ran through all of her signature stuff. Killer Kelly looked strong in just being able to hang in there and trade. Lane/Kraven was fun. Lacey Lane looked rough but she did a bunch of different looking stuff and Vanessa Kraven did a nice job working as a base, bumping for here stuff while still coming off as a monster.

Personally thought the commentary was bad. Between Cole's hard selling of Tegan Nox and Lacey Lane, Beth and Renee's constant shoehorning of "Did you know" type facts and weird talking points, they were interrupting each other so many times per match that I just tuned them out.

I'll echo what others have said in thinking that this was a fun first installment and man, I'm so happy that Meiko was in the first episode. I really hope that this leads to a run on the main roster because Lynch/Satomura is something that needs to get 15 minutes somewhere down the line