Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-07-20-NJPW-Summer Fight Series Tag 21] Yuji Nagata vs Bas Rutten

superkix

This was a good match with some great moments. Kind of a weird nothing start until Nagata throws him with the overhead suplex. I loved Nagata coming in from the floor and immediately getting kicked in the head, with Bas relishing the moment in the corner like a real rassler. The transition and high-angle execution of Nagata's wrist-clutch Exploder was pretty sweet, and his final crosshead hold looked gnarly. Rutten's selling is a little silly at times but he gets it. 

• GSR changed the title to [2002-07-20-NJPW] Yuji Nagata vs Bas Rutten
  • 4 years later...

IWGP Champion Yuji Nagata vs Bas Rutten - NJPW 7/20/02

I have heard for Bas Rutten since I was in high school, my chemistry/physics teacher was a big fan. Never seen a shoot or worked match with him in it. It is a sub-10 minute match so perfect for my walk.

Not as fun as some of the other Inokiist matches actually pretty boring until the finish. Lots of half-hearted takedowns and bundle of leglocks. In my opinion, these matches are the best one of two ways:

1. Clearly defined style differences such as striker vs a grappler

2. Overmatched pro wrestler has to figure out how to beat the cocky invading shooter

This match presented both as equals so it just felt like there was no interesting a narrative. Rutten catches him with a Palm Strike that Nagata sells like a KO and Nagata gets choke. Nothing is sticking until the finish. Rutten rocks Nagata with a Shining Wizard and this causes Nagata to powder and take an 18 count. Upon getting in, Rutten kicks his head off. Rutten gets caught celebrating a premature KO so Nagata drops him on his head with a wicked Wrist-Clutch Exploder. Then catches a kick, ankle lock morphs into a cross face for the win. The finish stretch is enough to give this a thumbs up but not a must see. ***

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2002-07-20-NJPW-Summer Fight Series Tag 21] Yuji Nagata vs Bas Rutten