Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan reinstated into the Hall of Fame, maybe making an appearance tonight

flyonthewall2983

3 hours ago, Loss said:

A non-fan friend of mine was asking me some stuff about this the other day and it prompted an interesting question I've been mulling over: Are wrestling fans more nostalgic than the general popuation? He felt like it was odd to even want redemption for someone like that, no matter what they meant to someone's childhood. But I think nostalgia is pretty potent in pro wrestling.

No I wouldn't think wrestling fans are any more nostalgic than non wrestling fans. I mean all sports have a certain amount of nostalgia attached to them depending on what significance you place on it. 

I've no issue really with Hogan being reinstated to the HOF. But outside of that I've no desire to see him on wwe TV or on a redemption piece on the network thanks. I mean even if you are the most ardent anti Hulk Hogan fan, you can't deny the guy's contribution to the wrestling business. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave spent a large part of today's WOR show on the Hogan stuff, and the takeaway is a lot of the people he talked to seemed to indicate a lot of the roster felt that having the takeaway be "be careful, you might be getting recorded" rather than "don't be a racist" came off as tone deaf.  

Also he mentioned that despite worrying about sponsor or fan backlash, there was very much a feeling that "the boys" would all have his back because that's what wrestlers do. 

I thought Dave was fantastic on this issue. Covered it for the first 20-ish minutes of today's WOR. I like how he also pointed out that Hogan comes from an era when everything is a work, everything is a con, and that's what he knows. The next planned steps are charity work with the cameras rolling. All he knows how to do is work and work some more. In this case, he needed to convey some sincerity. When he has no credibility for telling the truth, how does he do that?

My thoughts after listening were that if you want to make a wrestling analogy, Sam Muchnick used to say that a great wrestler tells the truth as much as possible because when he has to lie to get something over, his word means something, so it usually works. Hogan has taken the opposite route, which is one reason I think he's going to have a bumpy route moving ahead. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sek69 said:

That *was* how the brotherhood worked back in his day. Not that it makes him saying it in 2018 acceptable, but still...

Sort of. There are stories about actual klansman Dick Murdoch beating the shit out of someone who called a fellow black wrestler by the n-word, so I'm pretty sure that Hogan having that weak-ass apology and making comments like this are not the same thing.

Hogan is full of bullshit like this. Brotherhood did not stop him from lying and saying he and Macho were cool after his death, did it?

13 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Sort of. There are stories about actual klansman Dick Murdoch beating the shit out of someone who called a fellow black wrestler by the n-word, so I'm pretty sure that Hogan having that weak-ass apology and making comments like this are not the same thing.

Hogan is full of bullshit like this. Brotherhood did not stop him from lying and saying he and Macho were cool after his death, did it?

You realize Hogan told the story of reconciling with Macho before Savage actually died, right?  He told it on his Hogan and Friends tour almost a full year before Macho passed away.   

Hogan absolutely made a weak ass apology and expected the boys to have his back. Both things can be true. The most telling thing is he's way more shocked at the idea of another wrestler not supporting him than he was for the things he said in the first place. 

Well given that he is claiming "brotherhood" when most of the people who weren't fans of Hogan coming back were black, it is kind of not funny.  But not surprising

I do enjoy people bringing up that Hogan was one of the biggest people in the "wrestlers should not unionize" group.  so yeah full of shit