Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite old school JOBBERS

Loss

You never knew when George South might have a competitive match. Lee Scott was a crazy bump machine. The State Patrol was amazing for being jobbers in the NWA with a WWF-style gimmick. I hate to count Joel Deaton since he was competitive in AJPW, but he was a great jobber on TBS during the Crockett era too.

My favorite jobber angle has to be with Lex Luger and Lee Scott in '89. Luger has just turned heel and comes out and offers to make the match a US title match out of the goodness of his heart, Scott signs the contract and WHAM!, down for the count. Luger was still getting cheered after his heel turn at first and I think this angle was good for him.

Anyone else have favorites or standout moments?

Guest DylanWaco

You never knew when George South might have a competitive match. Lee Scott was a crazy bump machine. The State Patrol was amazing for being jobbers in the NWA with a WWF-style gimmick. I hate to count Joel Deaton since he was competitive in AJPW, but he was a great jobber on TBS during the Crockett era too.

My favorite jobber angle has to be with Lex Luger and Lee Scott in '89. Luger has just turned heel and comes out and offers to make the match a US title match out of the goodness of his heart, Scott signs the contract and WHAM!, down for the count. Luger was still getting cheered after his heel turn at first and I think this angle was good for him.

Anyone else have favorites or standout moments?

I agree with all of that, espcially Scott/Luger which we have talked about before and which no one seems to remember all that well other than you and I.

I always liked Reno Riggins also.

And pasty Bob Cook had the best punch ever.

George South and Mike Jackson were the two I thought of when I saw the topic. South had a terrific TV match with Ric Flair in November 1988 that still ranks as one of my favorite TV matches in the pre-Raw era.

Even though he got the occasional mini-push, I'd throw Salvatore Bellomo into this category too. Sure, he won a fair share of matches, but I don't recall him using anything other than some sort of rollup variation to pick up wins. No distinct finisher = JTTS in my book.

The State Patrol showed up in AJPW from time to time. Kind of bizarre seeing them (and later, Bubba Rogers in Bossman gear) in that enviroment.

Yeah, I'm going through '91 AJ TV right now, and felt the same way when I saw Rick Rude gyrating his hips ... before a match with Misawa, Kawada and Kikuchi.

Bizarro world indeed.

Guest Primo Matarazzo

Maybe Rocky King.

I used to LOVE seeing Rocky get destroyed on NWA TV Saturday mornings. He sold every move like utter devastation and flapped around like a fish out of water when he got hit with ANYTHING. It was so over-the-top it was comical. Seeing him take full-on somersault bumps off of Nikita Koloff's Russian Sickle was the highlight of my youth.

Maybe Rocky King.

I used to LOVE seeing Rocky get destroyed on NWA TV Saturday mornings. He sold every move like utter devastation and flapped around like a fish out of water when he got hit with ANYTHING. It was so over-the-top it was comical. Seeing him take full-on somersault bumps off of Nikita Koloff's Russian Sickle was the highlight of my youth.
Rocky King even got a brief push in 1990 against Flair and Ole Anderson, and he later was repackaged as Little Richard Marley and started managing The Freebirds.

I approve of all of the Iron Mike Sharpe love.  The man was Canada's Greatest Athlete, you know.  If only that forearm injury hadn't crippled him for all those years.

Absolutely! Even TODAY, many people mention Iron Mike Sharp along the same lines as Wayne Gretzky, Ferguson Jenkins, Steve Nash, and Bret Hart as far as "Greatest Canadian Athletes Ever" go. B)

I approve of all of the Iron Mike Sharpe love.  The man was Canada's Greatest Athlete, you know.  If only that forearm injury hadn't crippled him for all those years.

Absolutely! Even TODAY, many people mention Iron Mike Sharp along the same lines as Wayne Gretzky, Ferguson Jenkins, Steve Nash, and Bret Hart as far as "Greatest Canadian Athletes Ever" go. B)

Yeah, "Iron Mike" was awesome. He did a good job of sticking out from the pack.

Does anyone remember him teaming with Hogan in New Japan?

WP, I thought of you and almost mentioned Cuban Assassin, but then I remembered he was pushed in most places outside of the NWA that he wrestled. Wasn't he fairly pushed in Stampede?

Yes, he was. Definitely over the midcard posistion and from what I remember he had the same spot in World Grand Prix Wrestling as well. However, he was just as well know or more so than even the main eventers. You can't help but love the Assasin after awhile simply because he is what wrestling is truly all about.

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBios/cub...anassassin.html

Guest Mike Campbell

The Brooklyn Brawler.

I can also recall several Watts' UWF era jobbers who managed to stick out. Gustavo Mendoza, The Lybian, 'Gorgeous' Gary Young.

I always felt that the WWF dropped the ball big time by not going further with the Barry Horowitz push in 95. I think they could've taken him all the way to an IC title reign.

Certainly, but why the heck did they change his self-patting gimmick to the dweeb with glasses? How is being a dweeb making him a face?

I always felt that the WWF dropped the ball big time by not going further with the Barry Horowitz push in 95.  I think they could've taken him all the way to an IC title reign.

Certainly, but why the heck did they change his self-patting gimmick to the dweeb with glasses? How is being a dweeb making him a face?
HE'S JEWISH, IT'S FUNNY.

• 1 month later...