Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Migs said:

I am pretty excited for the Tessa-Callihan match they are building to (presumably for Slammiversary).

Oh fuck me, the two iMPACT MVP against each other ? Also, it's pretty cool after hearing that Tessa interview on Jericho's podcast about how she really likes intergender matches that they go in that direction for a while with her (while holding off the inevitable blow-off against Taya).

On 6/9/2019 at 2:31 AM, Alucard said:

I think it's Anthem. They offered Jericho 5 million to come in for 4 matches before AEW happened. RVD said part of why he went back is because they have "RVD money" now.

So why the hell stuff like this happen ? 

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/killer-kross-release-request-impact/#.XQK7zi3pNE5

Apparently, Kross also said Scarlett is living with her mum and works another job (I have not listened to the podcast but it was reported). For fuck's sake iMPACT. Hope they find a way out straight into AEW, as I really enjoy both.

So Impact try and force Eli Drake to take part in an Intergender match, which he refuses to do.  He then gets released. 

Killer Kross's contract comes up, and they make him a lowball offer, so he refuses to re-sign...and he's gone.

The Lucha Brothers are no longer being booked by Impact and are gone.

Impact's reaction to losing that kind of young, exciting talent is signing Michael Elgin and a 48 year old Rob Van Dam, in addition to doing shows featuring Sabu and The Sandman on a presumably part time basis.

What the fuck is wrong with these fucking people?  Just when it looks like they have their shit together, they pull a bunch of moves like this.  I love RVD, and yeah he has looked great so far...but he's 48 years old.  I am one of the biggest Sabu marks out there and I love seeing him on TV again, but isn't this company supposed to be planning for the future? How long do they think they are going to be able to milk the ECW nostalgia thing, seriously? And they couldn't even sell out ECW arena when they ran there.

They need fresh, new talent that aren't viewed as WWE rejects.  They had that, and they either release them or let them walk out the door. I had high hopes for Impact when D'Amore and Callis took over, and at first they were doing great - but I can't see myself spending a damn nickel on them at the rate they're going.  And it sounds like they need my nickel.

Not going to fault them with Lucha Brothers situation, they had no control over that. When it comes to Kross/Bordeaux I hope they can get this resolved quicky because these two brings life to their roster. Killer Kross is decent in the ring but what he excells in the most is promo work and presence. And Bordeaux is a good character and is fine in her role as the valet for Fallah Bah. They need to use Anthem money wisely.

Nostalgia is good to a certain degree, while it's fun seeing the old ECW guys it would've been beneficial for The North and Moose to just killed them. Heyman always has the philosophy of if you bring in an old star his job is to get the fresh new talent over as possible, this should be applied in this area.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:46 PM, Mad Dog said:

I enjoyed the Night of Mist show quite a bit. Main event was fun. Mack vs. Swann vs. Hart was really good. 

So were Sami vs Edwards and Grace vs Taya. Yep, cool little event. Too bad they had to deal with the really rude fan during the main event. Elgin displays zilch character or charisma even with a special main event with the Great Muta, but the rest of the match was indeed fun, as Muta still knows how to pick his spots despite barely being able to walk. Oh, if only Joey Styles would have called Tommy spraying Taya with White Mist... 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

So were Sami vs Edwards and Grace vs Taya. Yep, cool little event. Too bad they had to deal with the really rude fan during the main event. Elgin displays zilch character or charisma even with a special main event with the Great Muta, but the rest of the match was indeed fun, as Muta still knows how to pick his spots despite barely being able to walk. Oh, if only Joey Styles would have called Tommy spraying Taya with White Mist... 

Elgin's gimmick is just fucking dumb. He really isn't that big to being doing a strongman gimmick. Dreamer was pretty much the same size as him and no one considers Dreamer to be anything special. I did notice that they managed to not drag that fan to the back and threaten them though.

36 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Elgin's gimmick is just fucking dumb. He really isn't that big to being doing a strongman gimmick.

He's a jacked up smaller guy who doesn't even look that jacked up, especially next to Cage, who can also do much more impressive flying spot. No charisma, no character, not a good promo either. No idea why they brought that guy in, especially with the rep he had. Meanwhile, Killer Kross gets told to "get another job" to make more money ? Da fuck.

Well...

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/scarlett-bordeaux-released-impact/

That's bad for iMPACT, she's been a favourite of mine (doh!) for a while. Hopefully she doesn't go to WWE and AEW makes her an offer. If not, well, it's been fun the time it lasted...

I wonder how long they'll keep Kross. Him leaving would be another big blow to me, Elgin on top is already making me care less and less, despite the TV and big shows being really good still.

If they granted Scarlett her release, I don't see how it would look good for them to not do the same for Killer Kross. I also think that AEW would be a good fit for them but you can bet WWE will be all over them. Especially if it's true that Scarlett has to work an outside job, WWE will probably swoop her in and give her financial stability.

Honestly in the current context I don't see WWE "swooping" anyone anymore unless the workers are WWE marks or are getting insane amount of money, which NXT signees simply don't get. You'd be foolish to just sign with them without contemplating every other options.

Petty and a terrible choice. Do they really think a guy with zero charisma like Micheal Elgin is worth more than both Scarlett Bordeaux & Killer Kross (who could easily main event the promotion) ? Yeah, sounds like bad judgement here...

Yeah, give me more Scarlett & Kross together in AAA.

If you mean that idiot fan trying to grope her, I believe her comment that she didn't even notice it at the time and thanked Taya for getting her away (and obviously fuck that guy). Nothing to make me think she wouldn't be open to going back, sadly I'm sure it's not the first promotion where a fan has tried to get handsy.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:41 PM, The Thread Killer said:

There have been rumours going around for the past month or two that they have a better TV deal lined up for this Fall.  They'd better hope so.  I know the Twitch deal has reportedly worked out well for them so far, but Pursuit has been a bust.  Tons of people don't get the channel and Pursuit has been cutting off shows early, airing the wrong episodes and doing squat to promote them.  The saddest thing is, Anthem owns Pursuit, but I guess whoever they have running the channel doesn't think Pro Wrestling is a priority. They need better TV.

For what it's worth, Konnan appeared on the Wrestling Inc. podcast recently and confirmed that Impact does have a new, significantly better TV deal lined up.  I don't know how reliable he is as a source, but he has worked backstage for the company, and it seems like an odd thing for him to lie about.  I hope it's true for Impact's sake.

40 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

For what it's worth, Konnan appeared on the Wrestling Inc. podcast recently and confirmed that Impact does have a new, significantly better TV deal lined up.  I don't know how reliable he is as a source, but he has worked backstage for the company, and it seems like an odd thing for him to lie about.  I hope it's true for Impact's sake.

I'm wondering if the lack of dates lined up for after Slammiversary indicate that they're going to take a break before a relaunch on the new network.

3 hours ago, Migs said:

I'm wondering if the lack of dates lined up for after Slammiversary indicate that they're going to take a break before a relaunch on the new network.

I know the talent was told "January 2020" on the new Network in a meeting about two months ago.

The new Network is really a state secret. I couldn't get details out of anyone. I assume Non Disclosure Agreements were signed and the upgrade in Network is real. 

AEW signed IMPACT's live event booker recently and that role hasn't been filled yet. I don't think they are taking time off. 

6 hours ago, Migs said:

They're running Slammiversary in Dallas on July 7, and then they have a show called "Fallout" in Toronto on July 14. I think that might be a Fight TV or Twitch exclusive event. Then they have two days of TV tapings in Windsor Ontario on July 19 and July 20. Those tapings should take them right through the rest of the summer, I think. 

The thing is, when they run Live Events in Canada, they frequently team up and co-promote them with another Independent organization, like Border City Wrestling or that show they just did with Muta which was co-promoted with House of Hardcore, or in the case of that event Fallout, they are doing it with Santino Marella's wrestling school.  Co-promoting is either smart or stupid I guess, depending on how you look at it.  They don't have the expense of running the events themselves, they're pretty much co-opting events which were happening already.  But I guess the negative side is they end up having to use a lot of talent from the Indy they are working with, which in some cases might suck. I haven't heard much about this Canadian Battlearts school/Indy that Santino Marella runs...but it's run by Santino Marella.  How good could it be?

14 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

They're running Slammiversary in Dallas on July 7, and then they have a show called "Fallout" in Toronto on July 14. I think that might be a Fight TV or Twitch exclusive event. Then they have two days of TV tapings in Windsor Ontario on July 19 and July 20. Those tapings should take them right through the rest of the summer, I think. 

They run out of taped TV the Friday before Slammiversary. I guess they could do a clip show the week after Slammiversary, then tape six weeks of TV in those three shows you mention.

The Windsor shows, by the way, aren't on their website, so if they've been announced they are doing a pretty piss poor promotional job. They really need to step up that area of their game, the NY shows I think had pretty heavy paper to get a decent crowd (I knew a good number of people who were there for free, including in the front row), in part because you needed to be very on the ball to know the shows were happening.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)