Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got around to watching the IPWF show, and I was fully entertained. It was the enthusiasm on here that convinced me to go out of my way to find it, and I appreciate you all for that. As El-P said, there are just so many closely-observed little details that they get just right. The many tossed-out-there Canadian referenced cracked me up (as did the probably-unintentional gag of a Canadian territory where most of the wrestlers and crew have southern accents and nobody has a Canadian accent). Little things like "Katie bar the door" and the shout-out to "all the shut-ins" gave me a warm nostalgic glow. Rhino's deep-cut Southpaw Regional Wrestling reference just about blew my mind, as did Jazzy Fitbody's perfectly 1980s horribly-executed splash... but really it was all the little things that made it work for me. It wasn't exactly flawless, and I wouldn't want to watch that every week, but they could easily hook me in if they did that two or three times a year. I'm very glad I got to see that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 8:46 AM, rovert said:

I thought Wrestler's Court was IMPACT wrestlers entertaining themselves rather than the audience.

Depending which audience we're talking about. I'm just catching up, and I loved it. I want more of this stuff. I want IMPACT to become more of a show about pro-wrestling like GLOW, in the Lucha Underground mode. That's what I want for 2020. More Suzie, more IPWF, more Wrestler's Court and stuff. And more Taya, you can't get enough Taya. 

Also, Madison Rayne as the Locker Room Leader is the best new character twist of 2019, this side of RVD having a middle-life crisis and talking about how the young generation do his movez. She was great on that No Surrender special.

IMPACT has noticeably upped its game since the move on AXS and the last pro-wrestling I'll see in 2019 will be that crazy brawl between Callihan & Tessa going into the streets (I swear one car stopped and the guy legit was asking himself WTF was happening). Just an awesome, awesome angle (and Callihan's promo beforehand showed once again why this guy is the MVP of the promotion). They have done and are doing such a terrific job with this build-up since Slammiversary, Tessa winning the title will be a great moment !

There you go, bye-bye 2019.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

IMPACT has noticeably upped its game since the move on AXS and the last pro-wrestling I'll see in 2019 will be that crazy brawl between Callihan & Tessa going into the streets (I swear one car stopped and the guy legit was asking himself WTF was happening). Just an awesome, awesome angle (and Callihan's promo beforehand showed once again why this guy is the MVP of the promotion). They have done and are doing such a terrific job with this build-up since Slammiversary, Tessa winning the title will be a great moment !

There you go, bye-bye 2019.

If I'm looking to get back into following Impact week to week, what's the best (most recent) starting point for that? I went back and watched both Bound For Glory and that awesome one-night traditional, territorial throwback episode. But that's it.

In terms of recommended stuff, how far back should I go to avoid missing out on some of the more awesome/recent stuff?

Personally, I'd say start around April or May, with the build for Slammiversary (the Tessa vs Sami match main eventing the show is a must-see). There wasn't anything outright bad or avoidable this year but it's really after their Rebellion PPV that I felt they hit all cylinders. But if you also wanna see the end of the LAX/Lucha Bros feud, you can also start a bit prior and see Rebellion.

18 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

If I'm looking to get back into following Impact week to week, what's the best (most recent) starting point for that? I went back and watched both Bound For Glory and that awesome one-night traditional, territorial throwback episode. But that's it.

In terms of recommended stuff, how far back should I go to avoid missing out on some of the more awesome/recent stuff?

They did a best of episode this week that seemed to cover a lot of the big matches from this year, and there's another one this weekend. 

I saw they were doing some sort of countdown for their top 10 matches of the decade on their YouTube channel, too.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

They did a best of episode this week that seemed to cover a lot of the big matches from this year, and there's another one this weekend. 

Appreciate the heads up, man. Maybe I can get away with just catching these shows and knowing what I saw from BFG to get back up to speed on everything.

What's the date for that recap show? Last week?

49 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Appreciate the heads up, man. Maybe I can get away with just catching these shows and knowing what I saw from BFG to get back up to speed on everything.

What's the date for that recap show? Last week?

The date for the recap show is 12/28 I believe (last Saturday).

The other thing about Impact is that the roster has had so much turnover that there's not a lot of value in going too far back to be up to date on the current stories - there's a lot to enjoy, especially in the PPVs starting with Slammiversary from 2018, but it's not essential to keeping up with the current stories.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tallmike said:

This is such a great video package.

It puts over who they both are as people, as well as characters and the storyline.

This got over both of their motivations perfectly. Time was taken well building this and I think when Tessa finally wins it will be a huge moment. My only question is will it draw money? Either way I'm ready for sunday.

17 hours ago, tallmike said:

This is such a great video package.

It puts over who they both are as people, as well as characters and the storyline.

HYPED. STOKED. LOVE IT.

For real though, that was a great video to summarize their history. The shiner on Tessa's face just sent it over the top, too.

Tessa describing Callihan as "disgusting, vile, and shameless" was just pitch perfect. I don't know if there's a more accurate description for his character at this point. He's one of my favorite heels in the business right now, hands down.

How do you guys feel about the idea of Tessa actually winning the big one? I've got to wonder if it's a move that would rub some fans the wrong way.

On the one hand, I feel like Tessa winning is the logical conclusion. It completes the circle. That's her character arc. She entered the men's domain against Callihan. She was beaten. She regrouped, disposed of his disciples, and has clawed her way back to challenge him a second time. It only makes sense for her to win in the end.

On the other hand, Callihan JUST kick-started his title reign. And I really feel like he's one of the best at getting over angles and feuds - with Edwards, with Pentagon, with Swann, with Cage, with Tessa - that he's earned a seat in the throne for a moment.

It's actually exciting, because I feel like the outcome could go either way & I'd be satisfied, regardless. I *do* have faith that they'll ultimately go with Tessa, whether that's now or a delayed gratification later down the road. But then you run the risk of waiting too long, which is really the balancing act of being a booker.

I guess I think Callihan could have more longevity and mileage as the champion, becoming embroiled in blood feuds with various babyfaces. But Tessa feels like she has this wave of goodwill and momentum that should be seized while at its peak.

What do you guys think?

I think Tessa takes it this time, largely because she's come up short twice against Sami already. I also don't think Sami particularly needs the title to kick shit up his way. However, it is definitely a situation, depending on Tessa's contract and what else they have planned, where Tessa's reign could be relatively short-lived, even going back to Sami in a few months.

I actually think that could be the best move. Tessa's title win would be more about the moment - the capture - and what it represents anyway. It completes her arc. It solidifies her as a first. And it is the ideal culmination of the story.

But what then? Anything else is extra. If she signs and stays on, then maybe keep the belt on her until she loses steam or a hotter act comes along. If she is moving on, a quick switch back to Callihan doesn't undo any of that. It frees up Tessa, and it puts the belt back on a central figure.

I would definitely be on board for Tessa to take this win, now that I think about it. Callihan's role as the straw that stirs the drinks in Impact won't be damaged in the slightest. The guy lost all his big blowoffs against Edwards, Cage, Swann, and Pentagon in the past. Dude just keeps trucking and being a trashy, hateable heel all the same.

Not sure where to post this, but Tessa Blanchard is getting absolutely eviscerated on Twitter right now. We knew she had a horrible, toxic reputation, and we figured there was a reason WWE steered clear of signing such a "sure thing," but now we have evidence...

So, now I guess we know why Tessa was such an early exit in the first Mae Young Classic, when most people thought she'd make it very far in the tournament. Maybe those rumors of her bad attitude weren't such rumors after all.

However, I don't think this will impact (pun intended) management's decision to put the Impact World title on her tomorrow if they still want to do so.

More:

Like @SirEdger said, I don't think it will make a difference to Tessa's Impact push - but she is absolutely done on a major league level. WWE already wanted nothing to do with her, and now AEW won't go near either IMO (even though daddy works there). 

Update:

I think this is about Tessa too.

Tessa responds to Chelsea Green:

I remember a while back there was a Japanese woman wrestler going off on Tessa (among others) being an unprofessional shit at a show she was on, bullying someone who was new to the business in the locker room. As soon as I saw Tessa tweeting about supporting women I was like "oh no baby, what is u doin"....she opened the floodgates and now everyone she ever had a run in with is going to be dunking on her. 

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)