Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Didn't they tease that The North would defend the titles against Canadian teams in empty settings while the borders are still closed or did I completely imagine that?

That's what the North said. Hey, could be a pretty unique feature and a way to work around their absence. 

Tessa on the other hand, is supposedly in Mexico (with Daga I guess), so maybe she will work some AAA shows which could be showed too since they do intergender matches. Not announced of course, just a thought.

25 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Is AAA still going? I thought they had shut down during the pandemic

They ran an über safe empty taping show last week with everybody wearing masks (at a lucha show) and the announcers being far apart from each others. Only singles match too I believe. 

12 hours ago, El-P said:

If that's the crew they had for Rebellion, they'll probably be ok, since they are the best at making the most out of the least. Still, those empty arena match can be sad to watch. Mack winning the X-division title under those circumstances is quite anticlimatic (much like the first TNT champ coronation will be). On the other hand I thought Kylie Ray (what a catch for IMPACT btw) vs Kiera Hogan came out really good. Hogan has improved a whole lot in two years. And they really made the best possible out of Sami vs Shamrock, in what basically was a backstage brawl with music added. Sami is just so great, he refuses to have anything that appears meaningless. I guess this is the foreshadowing of some sort of Sami "babyface" turn (a la Austin).

Also, I must say, Madison Rayne has been really fun in her announcing role. Great (and safe) idea from IMPACT to have the couple announce together. It's obvious Matthews has too much fun being berated by this bitchy girl who wouldn't give him the time of day IRL... And the Locker Room Talk the previous week was gold.

Agreed on all accounts. Kiera's been pretty awesome lately. Also love the new avatar 

Thanks. Yeah, Madison Rayne legit cracked me up during that segment. She's terrific.

I should add I have no idea how IMPACT managed to make Swinger, a guy I never ever cared for in any way shape or form, someone I look forward to watch every week. They just have some of the best ideas.

I actually think Madison has been better than Callis for Impact - love a lot of Don's NJ work, but his Impact character really lacks a clear view point sometimes, whereas Rayne has done a good job getting her character across.

I guess a Callihan turn makes sense in that they lack main event faces and have had to really dig into the old timers group for them. Callihan vs. Moose? Callihan vs. Elgin? Not super exciting on paper but I'd trust Callihan to be able to build some heat.

When your champ is not available, have someone get an old belt somewhere and proclaim himself a champion of something. That's pro-wrestling 101. I can live with Moose as the "TNA World champ" during those tapings, leading to I guess a match against Tessa whenever they can. If Tessa is still signed (doesn't her contract run off sometime this summer ?). That main event was though though. Hernandez is a guy who never ever put things together and he looks just as clumsy as he did when he was a greenhorn. Homicide carried his ass for so long... A single Elgin vs Moose match would have been so much better.

Really, the women had the only really good match again. A gimmick garbage match with actual characters with a story works so much better in those circumstances. Love Rosemary's new look too (she also looks to be in great shape). 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:12 PM, SirEdger said:

Didn't they tease that The North would defend the titles against Canadian teams in empty settings while the borders are still closed or did I completely imagine that?

And so it was bullshit. And the highlight of this week's show, as really the totally empty arena stuff gets a bit sad. Absurd shit, I'd bet Ethan Page is responsible for this. 3 dummies as the "crowd", totally overhyped announcer, ridiculous "chanson réaliste" in French (a jab to Quebec ?) as the theme song of the two jabronies, and the best line of the night :

Ethan "What match you'd like ?"

Josh : "Kurt Angle."

Ethan : "His 90 days are not even up yet !"

This is only a guess, but since we have these two English-speaking Canadians, using a stereotypical French sounding song to me was a way to make fun of their French counterparts, also the workers clearly weren't quebecers from the way the one guy spoke. Anyway, I thought the whole thing was really funny and it's stuff like this I'm expecting from IMPACT during those times.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Oh yeah, I wasn't offended or anything by this skit. Hell, if we weren't offended by what Trish Stratus once said during a RAW in Montreal ("Excuse me, I have a frog in my throat"), that skit wouldn't bother anyone here ;)

:lol: Yeah, kinda wrong stereotype. Quebec... France... not exactly the same thing. But really, I still don't know where that "frog" thing comes from ! Like, yikes ! 

• 2 weeks later...

These no-crowd IMPACT shows can get rough... No one needs a Hernandez single match, in front of no-crowd no less, in 2020. 

However, Kylie Ray is a joy to watch in  any circumstance.

Seems like they are gonna try something new with Rohit Raju, which is cool, the guy is talented.

Highlights of the show : Cody Deaner in Kwaranteen, The North defending the title in Canada (that ring announcer sounds kinda like Jimmy Hart and they should get him to live shows whenever crowds are back), Moose as TNA World Champion (that's a brillant idea, the hype video with promos by Chris Daniels, Kazarian, Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan and Dixie Carter was another funny idea, they sure know how to use their back catalogue), Josh & Madison doing a really good job announcing, especially when Madison bitchslaps Josh verbally.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, El-P said:

These no-crowd IMPACT shows can get rough... No one needs a Hernandez single match, in front of no-crowd no less, in 2020. 

However, Kylie Ray is a joy to watch in  any circumstance.

Seems like they are gonna try something new with Rohit Raju, which is cool, the guy is talented.

Co-signing all these points. I've been a big fan of Impact for the last couple of years, but while there's been a few bright spots, a lot of the matches have felt very lethargic these last few weeks. A huge part of that has been the lack of crowd of course, and just shows how soulless no fans wrestling is. Kylie Rae has been very good thought - loved her match with Keira Hogan at Rebellion. And the Moose hype video that opened the show a week or so back was absolutely tremendous. Just a perfect example of a disingenuous over the top heel promo that is wrestling 101, but with the brilliant twist of mixing in old spliced together clips of former stars as talking heads. What with it taking quotes out of context, and spinning a false narrative it felt very 2020 as well ;)

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)