Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

On 6/3/2020 at 7:41 PM, rovert said:

Watch the last half hour of IMPACT last night and tell me the rumours that go back to Wrestlemania weekend time that Russo is back as a consultant aren't true.

Well, sorry but it sounds like complete bullshit. That's ignoring the fact that IMPACT's booking has been extremely consistent and logical since the rebuild, why would they want to get advice from someone who has hurt them so much in the past on so many levels when they have spent all this time distancing themselves from this era? 

Case in point, Russo booking that kind of angle would have Wentz go over. Which would make no sense expect "swerve bro". In the end, the guy who went through the whole tournament won. And the Trey angle and Wentz switch clearly is only the beginning of some sort of storyline with the Rascalz, maybe Trey splitting up eventually (as he was mostly working solo for a while already), as hinted by Madison Rayne on commentary. I don't worry to much about this one not going anywhere that makes sense in the end.

Madison Square Garden Rayne is a good one. Got me. Swinger is gold. So are the vignettes with Rosemary & John E Bravo, culminating with the best yet.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're sure doing the best with what they got right now, especially with the talents stuck in Canada (Rosemary, Bravo, The North, Cody Deaner). It certainly makes you question how in the hell they haven't done remotely anything with Tessa Blanchard since then - and which will more than likely lead to her being stripped of the title this week.

If this week's show was any indication, this next set of tapings leading to Slammiversary are gonna be quite fun, with most of the roster back (apart from Tessa & Daga, basically, stuck in Mexico).

So yeah, IMPACT stays true to logical booking in wrapping up the last few months quite nicely into a 5 way for the world title : Tessa vs Eddie vs Elgin vs Ace vs Trey. 

Taya vs Grace was a very good main event, these girls really like to stiff each other up. Glad to see them back, and now all leads straight to Grace vs Deonna. Their women's roster is getting ridiculous, really, considering the promotion goes under the radar of most. They could get the women tag team titles back at this point. 

With also probably Chris Bey vs Willie Mack for the X-div title and maybe a final North vs Rascalz match (I guess some fuckery happens next week), Slammiversary already looks really interesting (and fresh) on paper. And IMPACT always delivers on big shows, so...

About some of the fired guys showing up, Rhino made a wink wink ref to Heath Slater and the Flashback of the week was all about Mike & Maria and EC3, so there... I wouldn't be shocked to see Eric Young show up to challenge Moose for the "TNA title" though (not my favourite choice at all, but would make sense considering Eric Young's history with the promotion and him being loony half the time).

3 hours ago, El-P said:

If this week's show was any indication, this next set of tapings leading to Slammiversary are gonna be quite fun, with most of the roster back (apart from Tessa & Daga, basically, stuck in Mexico).

So yeah, IMPACT stays true to logical booking in wrapping up the last few months quite nicely into a 5 way for the world title : Tessa vs Eddie vs Elgin vs Ace vs Trey. 

Taya vs Grace was a very good main event, these girls really like to stiff each other up. Glad to see them back, and now all leads straight to Grace vs Deonna. Their women's roster is getting ridiculous, really, considering the promotion goes under the radar of most. They could get the women tag team titles back at this point. 

With also probably Chris Bey vs Willie Mack for the X-div title and maybe a final North vs Rascalz match (I guess some fuckery happens next week), Slammiversary already looks really interesting (and fresh) on paper. And IMPACT always delivers on big shows, so...

About some of the fired guys showing up, Rhino made a wink wink ref to Heath Slater and the Flashback of the week was all about Mike & Maria and EC3, so there... I wouldn't be shocked to see Eric Young show up to challenge Moose for the "TNA title" though (not my favourite choice at all, but would make sense considering Eric Young's history with the promotion and him being loony half the time).

The ending of this week's impact seems to indicate that Michael Elgin will forge an alliance with Eric Young and that really has me intrigued.

The North vs Razcals and Edwards vs Ace Austin were two string TV match this week. Funny bit about "no one watched the North's matches", complete with Matthews talking about maybe they'll be appreciated when they'll be gone from IMPACT. Yeah, they are aware of where they are and that's why they are so good. The North could honestly go straight to AEW and be up there with their best teams. And they have done a masterful job with Ace Austin, who could win the world title and I would not blink. Probably a much better choice than Elgin too, who remains wooden as fuck as a character. 

They sure have a whole lot of fun with the teasing of who's gonna show up, with direct hints of EC3 this week, subtle hints at Mike & Maria too. Now they have changed the video, with the announcement of a "former world champion" showing up. Sure, they showed people who aren't gonna be there like Sting, Angle and Bully Ray, but also have added Chris Sabin, Austin Aries (who's been done with MLW after a few weeks only last year, surprise surprise) and two interesting ones : Lio Rush and a Canadian flag (which does not represent Eric Young, who's showed already by himself, but has to be someone who hasn't work in IMPACT before). (Drake Maverick doesn't appear anymore, obviously) This is fun.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

The North vs Razcals and Edwards vs Ace Austin were two string TV match this week. Funny bit about "no one watched the North's matches", complete with Matthews talking about maybe they'll be appreciated when they'll be gone from IMPACT. Yeah, they are aware of where they are and that's why they are so good. The North could honestly go straight to AEW and be up there with their best teams. And they have done a masterful job with Ace Austin, who could win the world title and I would not blink. Probably a much better choice than Elgin too, who remains wooden as fuck as a character. 

They sure have a whole lot of fun with the teasing of who's gonna show up, with direct hints of EC3 this week, subtle hints at Mike & Maria too. Now they have changed the video, with the announcement of a "former world champion" showing up. Sure, they showed people who aren't gonna be there like Sting, Angle and Bully Ray, but also have added Chris Sabin, Austin Aries (who's been done with MLW after a few weeks only last year, surprise surprise) and two interesting ones : Lio Rush and a Canadian flag (which does not represent Eric Young, who's showed already by himself, but has to be someone who hasn't work in IMPACT before). (Drake Maverick doesn't appear anymore, obviously) This is fun.

Very much with ELP on the North. In general and the fact they don't get acclaim for being one of best acts of the COVID era.

For Impact Wrestling, The North have been the MVPs of this pandemic era. Their chemistry on-screen is absolutely phenomenal with Josh Alexander being a great straight-man with Ethan Page's antics.

As for Ace Austin, he's on his way to be top heel in the promotion, something I thought would always belong to Sami Callihan until he left the promotion. I'm fully expecting Slammiversary to be Ace Austin's coronation in that position. Plus, he's still very young and hasn't even reached his peak.

Apparently Tessa Blanchard was stripped of the Impact World Title and released after not sending in promised interview footage to hype her upcoming match.

Remember when she was the next "can't miss" hot prospect? Those days seem long over. I can't see any major league organization bothering with her racist baggage and spoiled diva antics now. 

I really hope Tully doesn't try to pressure AEW into giving his little girl a spot. Sadly, they'd probably take her. Even more sadly, their women's division desperately needs her. She's not worth the baggage though IMO. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I really hope Tully doesn't try to pressure AEW into giving his little girl a spot. Sadly, they'd probably take her. Even more sadly, their women's division desperately needs her. She's not worth the baggage though IMO. 

She hasn't always been on the best of terms with Tully, plus she managed to asshole herself out of gigs in WWE and Impact so I think AEW will pass. I saw it summed up best that any company would absolutely want to have Tessa the wrestler but none of them would want to deal with Tessa the person. 

7 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

how is tessa such an asshole that even a company who let angle almost die think she's  not worth the trouble

You realize these are not the same people at all, right ? It would be nice if people stopped talking about current IMPACT like it was still the same company that existed under Dixie/Russo.

Case in point, they just cut the biggest star they made over the last 2 years because she wasn't worth the headache (although her contract was probably close to running out I believe). I wonder if the #SpeakingOut movement also played a part, with rumours of bullying she had to her name previously. 

Crazy that she would act like such an asshole when IMPACT took her when no one else would and pushed her to the moon, having her win their World Title ! I was a huge fan of her work (and probably would still be if I saw matches of hers), but man, what a piss poor person... 

Yeah, following that one, no idea how she rebounds, because IMPACT is the perfect "under the radar" promotion to rebuild yourself. People mentioned Tully, but Brian Cage actually is one of her best friend (or was, dunno). As a talent, her in AEW would be awesome because she's that good, but I don't think AEW would touch her now. I guess stuck in AAA or something.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

You realize these are not the same people at all, right ? It would be nice if people stopped talking about current IMPACT like it was still the same company that existed under Dixie/Russo.

Case in point, they just cut the biggest star they made over the last 2 years because she wasn't worth the headache (although her contract was probably close to running out I believe). I wonder if the #SpeakingOut movement also played a part, with rumours of bullying she had to her name previously. 

Gotta get the jokes in, bubba! But you're right. IMPACT does feel miles ahead of the Perc Angle era. I occasionally watch some stuff here and there, and it feels like it's overall better.

I'm not sure if the #SpeakingOut movement factors in. Considering that her being cut was after she just didn't bother to record a promo from her home, the reason seems more like "y'know this just ain't worth it" than an attempt at improving the locker room culture there.

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Gotta get the jokes in, bubba! But you're right. IMPACT does feel miles ahead of the Perc Angle era. I occasionally watch some stuff here and there, and it feels like it's overall better.

It's better than WWE for sure. :lol:

I was just wondering. Tessa had has her issues before (bullying, racism). Considering she is apparently holding the belt hostage (why would she do that, really ? kinda exposes her as full of shit), maybe they killed two birds with one stone in a context when it looks favorable to do so. I mean, she was their #1 star and has been for the last year and a half, arguably (and honestly deservingly so in term of talent and output) so it's kind of a big move to just cut her like that.

After reading more about the situation, I don't think Tessa should bear the blame. By having her tape promos for an event taking place after her contract was set to expire, it seems like Impact was trying to put her in a situation where she'd appear unprofessional if she didn't show up so they could lowball her on an extension. And if they couldn't work something out, the heat would be on her for no-showing rather than on them for false advertising. With that said, when you've burned as many bridges as she has, you pretty much have no choice but to eat shit from whoever will agree to book you.

Understood.

That being said, she was their World Champion so if she wanted to not re-sign with them, she should at the very least appear on the last show to drop the belt anyway. There should not be an issue there, so how problematic really was to send a video to promote the event ? IMPACT could have stripped her during confinement but they did not to that with any of their champs. Jordynne Grace and the North weren't at the first tapings, the North sent videos and they just kept Grace as the champ too despite her not being on their TV at all during that time.

36 minutes ago, El-P said:

Understood.

That being said, she was their World Champion so if she wanted to not re-sign with them, she should at the very least appear on the last show to drop the belt anyway. There should not be an issue there, so how problematic really was to send a video to promote the event ? IMPACT could have stripped her during confinement but they did not to that with any of their champs. Jordynne Grace and the North weren't at the first tapings, the North sent videos and they just kept Grace as the champ too despite her not being on their TV at all during that time.

The issue is that she lives in Mexico with Daga and was worried she wouldn't be able to return if she worked Slammiversary. 

37 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

It seems Elgin is no longer with Impact as well

Well, they sure cleaned up the landscape. I for one am pleasantly surprised. Where does Elgin go ? I can't see NJ bring him back.

Interesting to see where they go from there. They have a better women roster than AEW, hope they keep focusing on that. There are been teases of having the women tag-team championship back. Would be nice. 

23 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

The issue is that she lives in Mexico with Daga and was worried she wouldn't be able to return if she worked Slammiversary. 

Like I said, she's AAA bound. Don't see any US promotion touching her after that one.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)