Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

Michael Elgin fits right in with AJPW, BJW & NOAH. It will be fun watching him mix it up with those guys. He should just stay with Puroresu for the rest of his career, and given all the stories out there about him, he may not even have a choice anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, El-P said:

Interesting to see where they go from there. They have a better women roster than AEW, hope they keepĀ focusing on that. There are been teases of having theĀ women tag-team championship back. Would be nice.Ā 

Someone on twitter suggested running Jordynne vs Deonna for the main title and it honestly doesn't sound like the worst of ideas.

45 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Someone on twitter suggested running Jordynne vs Deonna for the main title and it honestly doesn't sound like the worst of ideas.

I don't think they will try that "woman holds the world title" experiment again, honestly.

My bets are on Eddie getting the title back, he's kinda like the godfather figure of the current crop of guys in IMPACT. And from there, maybe try on Ace Austin as the super young heel champ. The X-div has Willie Mack vs Chris Bey at Slammiversary which really sounds good.Ā 

1 hour ago, SmoothS said:

He should just stay with Puroresu for the rest of his career, and given all the stories out there about him, he may not even have a choice anyway.

Agreed. He's just not fit at all for the US style because despite all their best effort, even IMPACT could not have him display a personality. And they made Swinger a great character in 2020. And found a way to rejuvenate RVD. So, he's hopeless on that front.

Plainly and clearly Tony Khan doesn't want Tessa in AEW. Put his foot down on the issue privately.Ā 

IMPACT should deserve zero credit for releasing those they have they are just making space in the budget/roster for the recently released WWE talent.Ā Ā 

Sami hasn't really shown himself to be a complete piece of shit*Ā  like Elgin either, so having to choose between the two wouldn't have been a tough call.

Also Tessa has been going to San Diego to do photo shoots so the whole "Oh I can't leave Mexico to work" kinda makes me suspect perhaps she was developing a case of jobberitis.Ā  Plus not even wanting to do promos is weaksauce when the entire world is using Zoom or whatnot to video conference these days.Ā 

Having said that, it's maximum LOLTNAIMPACT for them to book her in a title defense in July when he deal ended on June 30th. She was entirely within her rights to tell them to fuck off if she felt the need to, and considering Anthem cancelled her other gig (that Women of Wrestling show) when they took over AXS she probably felt the need to.Ā 

Plus it sure hasn't gone unnoticed that they stood by her when all the bullying and racism stories dropped (and even made her champ in the middle of it all), only to end up getting surprised that the scorpion will in fact still sting you regardless.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

*Yes there was the whole "accidentally hitting a dude with a bat for real" thing, but I think we can all agree it was in fact an accident even if he acted like a dick about it online to keep in character.Ā 

16 minutes ago, rovert said:

Plainly and clearly Tony Khan doesn't want Tessa in AEW. Put his foot down on the issue privately.Ā 

IMPACT should deserve zero credit for releasing those they have they are just making space in the budget/roster for the recently released WWE talent.Ā Ā 

How much could it possibly cost to re sign Eric Young and EC3? Can't imagine they're commanding top dollar after those banging WWE runs.

I have a tough time with the Tessa stuff on a few levels

- I've always loved and respected rebels in life and in pro wrestling who march by the beat of their own drummer.Ā  She absolutely sounds like one of those

- There is 100% a double edged sword when it comes to that attitude.Ā  You need to pick your battles and your hills to die on.Ā  Sending in promo tapes doesn't seem like one of them.Ā 

-Ā  Dropping a title belt doesn't seem like one of them.Ā  But then again, if her contract was already up, that's on them.Ā  I'll never hate on independent contractors making promoters pay for fucking up.Ā  My guess is due to COVID the contract she was expecting to get wasn't coming to fruition, so she used her leverage, and TNA said fuck it you're not worth the trouble.Ā  I appreciate her old school independent contractor outlaw attitude of looking out for herself here, but I also don't fault TNA for doing what they did

- I'm a big fan of Tessa Blanchard.Ā  I was also a big fan of Low-Ki and Teddy Hart.Ā  Before any of them were on the scene I was a fan of guys like Foley and Sabu who charted their own courses out there.Ā  Brody is more or less before my time, but the stories of him, especially from his buddy Robley, are legendary and I love them.Ā  So I'm half in on the outlaw, half in on you need to be a smart one and not burn too many bridges

- I hope Tessa hasn't burnt all her bridges.Ā  She's so talented, and still super young, she should be one of the top North American wrestling stars for the next 15 years.Ā  She needs to find a way to keep her edge but get her attitude a bit more in check at this point.Ā  TNA stuck with her and put their top title on her thru all the bullying and racism allegations.Ā  She kind of owed them a solid.Ā  If she didn't get that by now, maybe she never will.Ā  Her dad didn't have the best track record.Ā  I hope for everyone's sake she has some big national runs in the USA (I really don't count TNA, sorry) before all is said and done.Ā  But given the track record it's hard to see it happening right now.Ā  It would be a shame if she ends up the female Teddy Hart who's too much of a toxic headache for major promotions, but talented enough to keep blowing chance after chance by smaller ones

You can feel the editing on this week's show.

The tease of the week was all about Bully Ray (including D-Lo Brown watching Aces & Eights videos).

They really have a lot of work to get back on their feet. Whatever you wanna say about Tessa, she was unprofessional and that's it.

So, Deonna indeed looks terrific. Her match vs Grace at Slammiversary could be excellent if their styles don't clash.

Neveah on the other hand, ouch, not showing me anything good thus far.

Taya vs Kylie Ray hopefully happens next and this should be really good.

7 hours ago, cm funk said:

- I hope Tessa hasn't burnt all her bridges.Ā 

At this point the only bridge of hers that doesn't look like Luke Skywalker's aunt and uncle after the Empire found them is AEW, andĀ  Tony's not going to want to touch her with a ten foot pole.

early into the latest WOR with Dave & Garrett and Dave says Tessa had made it clear to Impact that she wasn't going to travel during COVID because she's worried about being able to get back into Mexico where she currently lives.Ā  Impact was fully aware of this, yet was continuing to advertise her for this upcoming show.Ā  Also, her contract was up before the show, which they were also fully aware of.Ā  So they knew all along she was never going to be there basically, and Dave hasn't heard anything that she did wrong other than not sending in promos FOR A SHOW SHE WAS NEVER GOING TO BE ON IN THE FIRST PLACE

So yea, in light of all this new information man, I've gotta ride with Tessa on this

And every time people tell me Impact is finally getting it's act together, you get a story like this......

WWE, if AEW isn't going to sign Tessa, get it done.Ā  I don't care if she doesn't play well with others backstage.Ā  She's an alpha, and wrestling needs more of them

I'm not really seeing why fans who complain about promotions classifying wrestlers as independent contractors would get on Tessa for exercising her natural right as an independent contractor. I guess treating independent contractorsĀ as employees is only bad until someone actually goes against it, and it leads to those same independent contractors not allowing themselves to be pressured into wrestling hyped matches.

Honestly, I'm Team No One on this. I don't believe for a second there wasn't some arrangement made when they started hyping the match, but the show was scheduled on a date past the last date of her contract. Plus I'm not 100% I believe her about not wanting to leave Mexico as I'm pretty sure she was doing photo shoots in San Diego at some point.Ā 

At this point her best bet is to just sign with AAA if she wants to stay as close to Daga as possible. I can't imagine her going to WWE/NXT will end any different than the last time she was there since it's not like either side acts any differently now. Plus as Dave pointed out, AEW would get a ton of shit if they signed her since they are (rightly) held to a higher standard than WWE when it comes to signing folks.

At this point, Tessa's pretty much the female Low Ki in terms of someone with undeniable talent who can't ever keep from emptying the clip into their own foot.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Plus I'm not 100% I believe her about not wanting to leave Mexico as I'm pretty sure she was doing photo shoots in San Diego at some point.Ā 

Do you have a reference on this? I think it's a pretty important point in this discussion but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

Do you have a reference on this? I think it's a pretty important point in this discussion but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

She did a photo shoot with Salina de la Renta earlier this month. No idea where it took place, but you can see her and Salina promoting it on their Twitter.

Meltz mentioned WWE is interested in Tessa. Of course, Tessa vs Charlotte writes itself and honestly, even I would make an exception and watch *that* match.

Ā Impact/ TNA just kicked NJPW off AXS TVĀ  a year earlyĀ because they refused to be partners.Ā  Ā The odds of NJPW and Impact being partners have to be slim and none.Ā  In the long run I would not be shocked if NJPW buys ROH from Sinclair and broadcast ROH / NJPW on Sinclair 'sĀ  multiple platforms.Ā  Anderson and Gallows may work some NJPW dates . However I seemed to recall that 4 talents quit NJPW afterĀ  Wrestle Kingdom with no notice.Ā  Might be some heat .Might not be. Only Gedo knows.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)