Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did not watch the PPV.  I have not watched Impact /TNA since  around 2006. I did see highlights of last night show. The question I have is why does Eddie Edwards  not wear wrestling gear ? Edwards looks like a homeless person . Is this some sort of story line where he has lost his mind ? I used to watch Edwards in ROH / PWG , really liked his work.  However his new appearance really distracts from his in ring work .

Can't complain about a show that had MCMG comeback, two excellent/great singles matches in Chris Bey vs Willie Mack and Deonna Purrazo vs Jordynne Grace, the main event was really good two with some great moments. So glad Rich Swann is back. Eric Young was kinda Eric Yawn to me but it was to be expected, and he was actually really good delivering that beating on Swann. The right guy won, as IMPACT needed a feel-good moment at this time and Edwards really was the guy for the job. Austin looks more like a star with every passing month. Last time I've seen Gallows & Anderson, they were in NJPW...

Shamrock was as good as he's gonna be at his age, so the match was pretty good, and North vs MCMG should be terrific. Moose vs Dreamer I enjoyed. I enjoy Moose (as a pro-wrestler...) and Tommy looking more and more like Terry Funk is kinda cool. Women Gauntlet was kind of a mess, with some fun stuff at times and again, the right woman won. No Tenille Dashwood nor any surprise on that front though... Kylie Ray vs Deonna Purrazo should be gold.

There was no moment like the Sami vs Tessa match from last year, but considering what they had to work with in that super complicated context, that show was a win (with technical fuck-ups galore, but that's IMPACT going live).

7 hours ago, Memphis Mark said:

I did not watch the PPV.  I have not watched Impact /TNA since  around 2006. I did see highlights of last night show. The question I have is why does Eddie Edwards  not wear wrestling gear ? Edwards looks like a homeless person . Is this some sort of story line where he has lost his mind ? I used to watch Edwards in ROH / PWG , really liked his work.  However his new appearance really distracts from his in ring work .

Basically they did a storyline a while back where he inherited the mantle of hardcore from Dreamer, but ended up going crazy. They ended up doing a redemption arc but he still kept the gear he wore during them. It was a way to give him a new look/gimmick and they just kept it.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, sek69 said:

Su Yung....err "Susie" looks like an entirely different not in goth character.

I was on a show with her once. I was introduced, without gimmick name, before the show. She was a surprise appearance, and when she came out, I was like "wow, I didn't realize she was here!" and my friend was like dude, you met her a half hour ago. 

6 minutes ago, El-P said:

Carny as fuck ! Hey, she could have trashed it with her car and send it back, Stan Hansen style.

Who wants to place bets on which fed will be dumb enough to sign The Female Austin Aries despite her obvious baggage, vile racism, and legendary douchebaggery? AEW certainly needs her for their women's division, but WWE might ignore the warning signs because they only see dollar signs. Either way, she'll be an afterthought in five years if she keeps up her current trajectory. 

17 hours ago, El-P said:

Carny as fuck ! Hey, she could have trashed it with her car and send it back, Stan Hansen style.

The funny thing I thought the same, then when I saw they had a similar looking belt I thought she returned it. Then I noticed it was gold and not silver like the other Impact belts and I had suspicions.

I wouldn't even be the least surprised if that "future employer" is WWE. That would totally be a Vince move. I remember clearly Vince saying in the AWA DVD that he "always encouraged talents to finish their dates with other promoters". So, that'd be fairly in line with Vince trying to have Tessa project a better image going into her next gig.

21 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I wouldn't even be the least surprised if that "future employer" is WWE. That would totally be a Vince move. I remember clearly Vince saying in the AWA DVD that he "always encouraged talents to finish their dates with other promoters". So, that'd be fairly in line with Vince trying to have Tessa project a better image going into her next gig.

Vince wanting folks to finish their dates with other promoters is a relatively new concept, mainly because they wanted to avoid the bad PR of "mean WWE trying to shut down the indies".

Far cry from the territory days when he'd give folks who were on their way a little extra to no show their last few dates with the old company on their way out. 

Yeah, it was standard practice for the WWF to encourage (or more accurately, force) wrestlers they poached to ditch their former promoters and start up with them immediately. Not only would the dates they were scheduled for and no-showed hurt the promoters' ability to draw in the future, there would be no footage of them doing jobs on the way out that the promoters could use against them.

Also, it's been established for decades that championship belts are the intellectual property of the promoter and not the personal property of the champion. Tessa didn't have a leg to stand on unless the $150,000 was for back pay she thought she was owed.

So, the MCMG vs North match was great. It's gotta be so frustrating for those guys to work in empty buildings, because the energy of the fans for this finish (or WIllie Mack winning the X-div title back then) would have been great. Alex Shelley looks crazy good, but he's actually only 37. Seems like he's been around forever.

Also, can't wait for The Wresters House next week. I love those silly ideas, IMPACT always delivers with this stuff. Already this week the "Olive oil... Virgin olive oil... Very virgin olive oil" line by Bravo got a legit laugh out of me. This guy is one of the low-key most entertaining character in wrestling, has been for a while and only got more fun since Rosemary has been involved.

The Good Brothers segment was good, so these guys are actually decent promos ? Good to know.

IMPACT sure rebounded really well from the Tessa debacle and the clean-up from #SpeakingOut. Elgin was so dull as a character you don't even notice he's gone, and he was part of the main angles for a year and a half.

I haven't really paid much attention to Impact other than YouTube clips here and there but, they've got a good mix of talent with both vets and youngbloods. I actually watched the show on Twitch and was pretty happy with it. Its what I hope maybe ROH TV can try for once they get going again but I'm not going to hold my breath. Not that Impact was all gold but, it kept me interested and Eddie Edwards as champ has me stoked as does the MCMG back in action. 

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)