Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

So apparently Deonna vs Kylie Rae didn't happen and Kylie was replaced by Su Yung. Now I only watch Impact via Youtube clips but that was one of the bigger matchups of the whole show. I hope they didn't know Kylie wasn't going to be there ahead of time and hyped the match anyways.

And LOL at James Storm. Gets out of his NWA contract, teases a WWE debut only to wind up back in IMPACT. Vintage James Storm.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She apparently legit wasn't at the building, the Observer site said it was an injury not believed to be serious, but she did work indy dates this weekend. 

So either she hurt herself getting out of bed in the morning or Impact is trying to work some weird worked shoot deal.

The Deonna Purazzo vs Kylie Rae match was the one I was most excited/intrigued by going in, so that's really disappointing to hear that she was off the card and the match got changed. If it's an injury then there's not too much you can do about that sadly, but I really hope they weren't trying to overthink it, especially given how good the build up show they did which focused heavily on that match.

I haven't seen the show yet, so it would be wrong for me to offer too much of an opinion... But watching the TV every week going in, some of the results seemed a bit strange and not the direction I would've gone in e.g. whether it was to be Kylie Rae or Su Young in the match I thought the Purazzo title run had much more to run, same for the MCMG's holding the tag titles which have been two of the best things about the company the last couple of months. But as I say I will hold off too much on snap judgments until I've actually seen it!  

It's worth recalling that whatever happened with Kylie Rae and AEW began with her being out of action with an undisclosed "medical issue." And if this is an attempt at a worked shoot, they're also working the boys because even talent has no idea what's going on.

Regardless of what the situation is, changing up an advertised title match on your flagship PPV with no explanation is incredibly bush league. At the very least, they should have been able to run an angle on the show.

Something weird seemingly happened during her Collective match with Josh Alexander two weeks ago - I doubt it was Josh more in the sense she may have had a panic attack or something of that nature. She ran to the back immediately after winning and then pulled out of her booking on the next day with no real explanation. Hopefully whatever it is isn't serious.

In terms of the PPV, it was a super letdown and I regretted saying up for it. If only they had more matches on the card were as good as the main event. I wish IMPACT had more straight matches. A scramble, gauntlet and a cinematic match were way too much.

So, everyone's forgiven the wife-abusing Rich Swann because he's good at the rasslin'?

This is where being a wrestling fan is an embarrassment.

TNA putting on its title on a guy like this, after the high-profile departures of Joey Ryan and Michael Elgin, is a head-scratcher to me.

Su Yung staying in the relationship means diddly shit to me, as abused wives stay for years or even decades. Swann was "cleared of all charges" (Pro Wrestling Sheet), but only because of "insufficient evidence" - which seems all too common in cases like this and doesn't exactly prove his innocence. 

One of the firings WWE absolutely got right. They used to be smart enough not to stay in bed with people like this. Used to be. 

On a different note entirely, I hope Kylie's okay... Was it ever reported exactly what happened with her and AEW? 

Now the Observer website is reporting that Kylie Rae wasn't injured after all. She just didn't show up. As in, she was in Nashville ready to work on Friday and didn't come to the building on Saturday. If it's another mental health episode, she really needs to step away from wrestling. I hate to tell someone to stop following their dream, especially at such a young age, but it's abundantly clear that the business is a distraction at best and an active hindrance at worst from her getting the help she needs.

19 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Now the Observer website is reporting that Kylie Rae wasn't injured after all. She just didn't show up. As in, she was in Nashville ready to work on Friday and didn't come to the building on Saturday. If it's another mental health episode, she really needs to step away from wrestling. I hate to tell someone to stop following their dream, especially at such a young age, but it's abundantly clear that the business is a distraction at best and an active hindrance at worst from her getting the help she needs.

Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful is doing the best reporting any reporter could do in this situation. 

If you follow Kylie's interviews your assessment is slightly off base, NintendoLogic with respect. She's someone with a myriad of life long mental health situations and Wrestling is her escape and the like the only place she feels normal. And she has sought help multiple times in the past she isn't in denial. It isn't like say a recovering drug addict who should stay away from Pro Wrestling to avoid old habits, running buddies and triggers. In saying all that I really don't know what the answer is but she's most likely better suited to working one-off indie shots or in the battle royal or gauntlet at BFG instead of being the semi-main against a wrestler she hero-worships at the very least.

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

On a different note entirely, I hope Kylie's okay... Was it ever reported exactly what happened with her and AEW? 

I believe she had an anxiety attack prior to the first show, my personal opinion was because Cody was making comments comparing her to Bayley and inadvertently sent the crazy WWE women/Bayley specific stans after her on social media. 

She seems to be someone who enjoys wrestling as a balm for her mental health issues, but putting her in important positions seems to be a trigger for her (AEW was clearly going to position her as a key figure in their women's division plans and her leaving left them in a lurch). It's a difficult situation, what can a company do? She should of course be allowed to pursue her career any way she wants, but her mental health doesn't seem to be in a place that will let her be put in any featured positions. It's not fair to her to say we can't push you because of your mental health, but it's not fair to the company to not be sure they can deliver one of their featured matches on PPV either. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I believe she had an anxiety attack prior to the first show, my personal opinion was because Cody was making comments comparing her to Bayley and inadvertently sent the crazy WWE women/Bayley specific stans after her on social media. 

She seems to be someone who enjoys wrestling as a balm for her mental health issues, but putting her in important positions seems to be a trigger for her (AEW was clearly going to position her as a key figure in their women's division plans and her leaving left them in a lurch). It's a difficult situation, what can a company do? She should of course be allowed to pursue her career any way she wants, but her mental health doesn't seem to be in a place that will let her be put in any featured positions. It's not fair to her to say we can't push you because of your mental health, but it's not fair to the company to not be sure they can deliver one of their featured matches on PPV either. 

Anxiety is rough, man.

If it turns out that her title match on this PPV is indeed what triggered her anxiety, that's a complicated issue, as you said, because it puts both her and any company she works with in a difficult and delicate situation.

I'm not sure what the solution is.

I hope Kylie gets through it and can move forward. 

13 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

The Deonna Purazzo vs Kylie Rae match was the one I was most excited/intrigued by going in, so that's really disappointing to hear that she was off the card and the match got changed. If it's an injury then there's not too much you can do about that sadly, but I really hope they weren't trying to overthink it, especially given how good the build up show they did which focused heavily on that match.

I haven't seen the show yet, so it would be wrong for me to offer too much of an opinion... But watching the TV every week going in, some of the results seemed a bit strange and not the direction I would've gone in e.g. whether it was to be Kylie Rae or Su Young in the match I thought the Purazzo title run had much more to run, same for the MCMG's holding the tag titles which have been two of the best things about the company the last couple of months. But as I say I will hold off too much on snap judgments until I've actually seen it!  

Agreed, I very much expected Kylie to win but I wanted a lot more of a run from Deonna. The actual Su/Deonna match was very good though. 

I thought Deonna would retain because I think Kylie would've been great in the chasing role.I know some are down on Su Yung getting the belt (and I am too) but I think they did a decent job working with what they had. They can easily go back to the angle from Victory Road with Deonna breaking "Susie's" arm. 

On 10/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, sek69 said:

It's safe to say that Kylie would probably have been indeed a key piece in the AEW Women's division but that was such a critical mistake on Cody's parts to even put that high of expectations on Kylie. He probably wasn't aware of Kylie's mental health issues and we can hardly blame him for that but that's something that he probably wish he wouldn't have said. I think everyone understood what he meant by that but in hindsight, not the best timing to say that.

With that said, all that matters right now is that Kylie gets better.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

If nothing else, this will hopefully put an end to the "Kylie must have been bullied/assaulted/something scandalous in AEW" whisper campaign.

Not really. Ultimately it is something for Kylie to talk about one day. I wouldn't sweep that under the rug completely in talking to her friends in and outside of AEW male and female at the time. The same goes for several non-F4W affiliated journalists. Personally,  I never went asking about it people came to me beginning with Kylie missing two weekends of indie dates and asking if I had heard anything and it all snowballed from there. 

You can believe what you want to believe but Kylie herself has posted several messages contradicting the clean narrative on that situation. 

On 10/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, rovert said:

Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful is doing the best reporting any reporter could do in this situation. 

Oh yeah, the guy who basically made up the laughable "shoot fight" story between Ivelisse and Thunder Rosa, which was basically a big nothing being blown totally out of proportion, including by your own self on Twitter with stupid gifs and whatnot (basically pushing your Ivelisse witch hunt agenda, for whatever reason, which came off creepy as fuck tbh). Hey, at least *he* admitted to it a few days later. Don't bother reporting me to the mods like the last time I called you out on your bullshit though (yeah, I have not forgotten), I'm not even having an argument with you, just pointing out cold facts here.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

If nothing else, this will hopefully put an end to the "Kylie must have been bullied/assaulted/something scandalous in AEW" whisper campaign.

Yeah, I'd be glad when we get less bullshit on this board, honestly, between this kind of stuff and the Social Media Trial bullshit (like the Ospreay thing for instance, but that's not the only one), I'm not feeling the vibe around the board where it's getting more and more "Twitter said", until basically we basically all have to end up on the damn thing if there's no difference of tone (well, I won't because Twitter is not a healthy place at all).

Well, I sure spoiled myself by watching this, but it was worth it. I died. IMPACT being under the radar allows them to keep on the LU tradition of totally zany stuff, and this is the greatest pro-wrestling wedding spoiling ever. Much much better than putting someone's face in the cake. :lol: Dreamer "Nooooo !" is the greatest.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)