Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

On 10/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, rovert said:

I like funny and characters in Pro Wrestling more than most but IMPACT's serious:funny ratio is way out of wack for a Wrestling show with the talent they have. It would be one thing if it was connecting but it isn't at all. Also, Scott D'More (who is a good performer don't get me wrong) appearing on IMPACT more and more should ring alarm bells.

This sums up a lot of my own feelings well. I'm not a Cornette: "funny don't equal money" guy, but agree that Impact's ratio has been creeping a bit too high on the 'wacky' side in the last few months. For example, I know a lot of people on here really seem to like the wedding shooting angle, but it's just not for me. Not saying it's bad - people here seem to like it - it just disconnects me from the world the rest of the show is being presented in. I've always been someone that recognises that wrestling is at its best when you have variety, and having comedy and campy over the top stuff is just as vital a part of wrestling as 'good matches' and blood feuds, but it'a all about the balance, and Impact, to me, feels like it's just gone a bit too heavy on that side recently. It means some of the people involved come off looking like real geeks to me.  

I'm still a supporter and fan of the product overall though, which is why I was disappointed when Bound for Glory felt like a pretty poor show when compared to their more recent PPVs. Reading the results and seeing the clips from Turning Point last night though, that sounded like a much better show with some interesting debuts to replenish some of the talent they are losing like the Rascalz.   

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They've also got a lot of time to fill on a weekly basis, and two hours in an empty arena is brutal. Might be a reason they're pushing harder on the funny at the moment. Although given their track record, you'd think surrounding the ring with the wrestlers themselves could be something they'd have fun with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was one hell of a send-off that IMPACT gave to the Rascalz, the main event spot, Matthews & Rayne basically spent 25 minutes putting them over as great guys that everybody loves. If you consider they never won any title in the promotion (I thought Trey would have got the X-div at one point but nope) and basically never went above mid-card (upper mid-card for Trey) level, that's pretty telling. It was actually legit moving. I sure hope for their sake they got some great contracts (and since it's NXT, probably not *that* great) because to me they were much better fits for AEW (characters, work style, size). That one sure is a loss for IMPACT, they were good workers and fun characters.

For any first-time or lapsed Impact viewers tuning in because of AEW, here's what I've found:

- If you have the channel AXS, you're good to go - Impact is there.

For everyone else:

- It's on Twitch, but the site and app are total trash, and Impact's Twitch channel only does live feeds - nothing is archived (unless I'm missing something). There's no Apple AirPlay functionality either, so I can't AirPlay it to my Roku. Instead, the app has its own casting system that wants access to my local network. How about no?

- On Impact Plus, the Dec. 1st (yesterday's) show is already there. I assume new shows are added the day after they air, but that's good enough for me. That show is accessible even without a login on both the site and Roku app. 

So, I'd say Impact Plus is the way to go for this if you don't have AXS. 

Answer to this topic in 2020 again : Yes.

And Don Callis is the smartest man in pro-wrestling.

I wonder what Jeff Jarrett (and Dixie Carter) think of this little twist that happened today.:lol:

Anywoo, IMPACT rules people, and I will do without condescending LOLTNA comment on MY FUCKING FANBOY THREAD !

Sorry. You're all welcome. Late to the party, but welcome

My thoughts as someone returning to Impact for the first time in what is probably over a decade:

I'm surprised by all the geeks who watch this on the horrendous Twitch site/app, when the impactplus.tv site and app is so much better. I believe the show aired live there too, but don't hold me to that. However, it was definitely up right after.

I will admit I didn't watch everything. If the show didn't hook me on a certain match, I fast forwarded it. 

Josh Matthews: Jesus, he got old. I haven't really seen him regularly since the WWE.

Josh Alexander (w/ Ethan Page) vs. Chris Sabin (w/ Alex Shelley): Absolute nothing indie rasslin' jabroni match I was given no reason to care about, so I skipped it. I also hate the WWE-esque trope of feuding tag team wrestlers in singles matches. It's boring, not creative, and feels so low stakes.

Chris Bey/Moose segment: The camerawork and acting were pure amateur hour, but they definitely have something with Moose.

Tony Khan/Tony Schiavone "paid advertisement": This was great fun, and Tony Khan laid everything out in a very logical manner. I hope Khan was intentionally heeling it up a bit though, because that's how he came across. The Schiavone comment about quitting the business for 18 years after his one lone TNA appearance was great. :D Yeah, I think they were definitely heeling it up a bit here...

Brian Myers vs. TJP: This is an opening card match on 205 Live. I wouldn't have cared about it or watched it then, and I don't care about it and didn't watch it now.

Deaner and TJP/Rojit segments: The Deaner segment was natural and believable. Rojit is absolute money. 

Eric Young (w/Joe Doering) vs. Cody Deaner (w/Cousin Jake): I watched this, because - guess what - the Deaner segment above got me interested in seeing what happened. Every match on Impact should have a little setup segment beforehand. Wow, I would not have recognized Eric Young. Others should take notes. This is how you do it if you had a bad run in WWE and need to reinvent yourself. The match itself was nothing special, but it accomplished what it needed to. I have to laugh at someone in another post calling Joe Doering "jacked." No, he's just tall. Impressive clothesline though. 

Tommy Dreamer segments: What the fuck is with that tiny ponytail hairdo? Poking fun at being able to get away with attempted murder by booking a wrestling stipulation to get out of it would've landed better if any of these people could act. Scott D'amore, on the other hand, is a great performer.

Deonna Purrazzo and Kimber Lee vs. Taya Valkyrie and Rosemary: Deep into a tournament I haven't been following and have no investment in made this an easy skip for me, but it probably worked well for weekly viewers.

Aunty Tenille: So, this is where she's been hiding? WWE is usually proven right with who they release, even when  they're darlings we all love, because they end up falling short elsewhere. But Tenille Dashwood/Emma is someone WWE was wrong about and had no idea what to do with.

Sami Callihan: Wow, is it possible that he's somehow gotten worse and even goofier since his NXT Solomon Crowe days? Apparently so. This was all sorts of terrible and embarrassing. Everything out of his mouth sounds like completely unconvincing cosplay. His terrible "tough guy" act is just plain painful community theater indie rasslin' bullshit.

Chris Bey and Moose vs. Rich Swann and Willie Mack: Swann was the weak link of the match, as usual. Impact was really exposed tonight by having an opening card guy with no credibility like this as its World Champ when a real star like Kenny Omega is on the same show. Moose and Mack were fun to watch, and they might have something with Chris Bey. 

Rich Swann segment: Wow, Impact isn't even hiding what a geek their champ is. Swann was made to look like a complete bitch and chump, being ordered around by the demands of a real World Champion in Kenny Omega. This was like the WWE Champion visiting Smoky Mountain Wrestling. What was the purpose of this? Kenny Omega vs. Rich Swann is a dream match in no one's mind.

Kenny Omega/Don Callis interview: Light fucking years ahead of everything else on this show. Absolutely incredible. Kenny even managed to make the geekiest shit imaginable - collecting rare comic books - somehow sound cool and menacing. Callis was just as good. Pure perfection!

How the hell did WWE drop the ball so completely and thoroughly on Kenny Omega and how did the wrestling business as a whole let Don Callis get away for 18 years?

Verdict: I'm sure Impact got a ton of new viewers out of this, but did they do enough to retain them? I'm not so sure. I realize they had a PPV to build up, but I would've treated this as an introduction show of sorts for the benefit of all the new viewers tuning in, but that's not really the approach they took. 

So, not exactly a home run for Impact. AEW came across as the major leagues, while Swann looked like the pretender he is, Callihan was dreadful and completely unworthy of the hype, and the rest of the show was a mixed bag at best. 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

Tommy Dreamer segments: What the fuck is with that tiny ponytail hairdo?

After the passing of Road Warrior Animal, Dreamer paid hommage by getting the Animal haircut (and make-up). He's now growing his hair back to usual.

Glad you watch the show without a bunch of confirmation biases and WWE references in your head while fast-forwarding a bunch (fast-forwarding Taya !!! Crazy you !!!). :lol:

Anyway, Swann vs Omega is indeed a dream match for any self-respecting pro-wrestling fan ! 

About Callis, yeah, it's crazy to think this guy was never given a chance in WWE and was bullied around by that idiot JBL. In 2020, he looks like the smartest man in all pro-wrestling. I WAS FUCKING RIGHT ABOUT HIM BACK IN 97 !!!!!

Honestly, I did not expect anyone unfamiliar with IMPACT becoming a fan overnight, especially during this time of empty arena stuff, but I hope it helps their brand-awareness level to some degree. At worst it gives us ME a bunch of stuff I could only dream about, so I'm all in (pun intended). There is a clear sense of irony that AEW would end up working with IMPACT and not ROH. Looking back like 3/4 years ago during the GFW debacle, who would have thought IMPACT would get in bed with the hot new thing (or even exist) in 2020 ? Life is sure full of surprises, and good ones sometime.

This may seem harsh or whatever but aesthetically, so many people on that Impact show look as if they should be nowhere near a major league promotion. There's a hell of a lot of sleazy looking Forgotten Sons looking guys with beards and ugly tattoos on that roster.

14 minutes ago, FMKK said:

This may seem harsh or whatever but aesthetically, so many people on that Impact show look as if they should be nowhere near a major league promotion. 

Hum... that was actually the appeal of ECW. The freak show. The mad scientist lab. The outcasts promotion. That is part of the fun of it. Who wants to fit to WWE's mold anyway ?

But in all honesty, the top women of IMPACT could show up on AEW tomorrow and they would, well, show up their entire women roster (both as workers and characters). And The North, MCMG, Moose, Swann, Callihan, Mack could all be players, easily. Hell, even Swinger would fit on Dark and BTE.

I was reminded watching this both why I enjoy Impact (roster of good workers that they do their best to use in interesting ways) and why I stopped watching months ago (their empty arena setup is just death, no energy at all).

Kenny and Don crushed it. Just incredible, they're going to be money.

Even Tony did well! It's not something I want to see every week, but I thought it worked really well, with some very funny moments.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Glad you watch the show without a bunch of confirmation biases and WWE references in your head while fast-forwarding a bunch (fast-forwarding Taya !!! Crazy you !!!). :lol:

I think you might have misunderstood some of my post if you thought I wanted Impact to be more like WWE.

Josh Matthews: His WWE-style commentary was something I hoped would've been long gone by now. It isn't.

Tag wrestlers in meaningless singles matches against each other: Another lazy WWE trope that I hate.

Brian Myers vs. TJP: I mentioned 205 Live as an example of where this match would've happened previously, and I wouldn't have been interested then, so why would I be interested now? The same would be true if they were the main event of Raw or previously in a different promotion entirely. I'm just not interested in these guys or their match. I will give props to Brian Myers though for not coming in with the same character. I didn't see enough to determine what his new gimmick is all about, but anything different is a step in the right direction. Eric Young was the most impressive in this regard.

As for fast-forwarding Taya, if I had been following the tournament from week 1 and invested in it, I would've watched the match. I acknowledged that it probably worked well for weekly viewers.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

Anyway, Swann vs Omega is indeed a dream match for any self-respecting pro-wrestling fan ! 

Swann is a mediocre opening card guy who somehow has a "World" Title despite being the worst of the four wrestlers in his match last night. Omega is obviously a megastar.

Maybe this will be fun in a Triple vs. TAKA sort of way - I can buy that - but dream match? Not a chance.

Kenny vs. Swann completely exposes Impact's lack of credible main eventers.

5 hours ago, FMKK said:

This may seem harsh or whatever but aesthetically, so many people on that Impact show look as if they should be nowhere near a major league promotion. There's a hell of a lot of sleazy looking Forgotten Sons looking guys with beards and ugly tattoos on that roster.

I came away with the same impression, honestly. A lot of these guys look like they were rejected from wrestling on NWA Powerrr in a studio for $25 a night. While I'm not a Vince/Triple H body fetish type and appreciate all sorts of different looks and styles, more grooming and less sleazy indie rasslin' tattoos goes a long way with me.  

Bottom line: Omega and Callis are so above everyone else on this show, including and especially Rich Swann, that Impact looks totally out of AEW's league in comparison. Even the Tonys came across as more of stars than goofs like Swann and Callihan. I can't imagine that was the intention here. (Or maybe it was on AEW's end?)

23 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I think you might have misunderstood some of my post if you thought I wanted Impact to be more like WWE.

Josh Matthews: His WWE-style commentary was something I hoped would've been long gone by now. It isn't.

He and Madison have a terrific chemistry. Whole > sum of the part. His team with Callis was also excellent. Put Matt Striker with him... uh... nope.

Tag wrestlers in meaningless singles matches against each other: Another lazy WWE trope that I hate.

It's only meaningless because you don't follow the product. Nothing to do with WWE style booking. Also, the North and MCMG are stars in the promotion and great fucking workers.

Brian Myers vs. TJP: I mentioned 205 Live as an example of where this match would've happened previously, and I wouldn't have been interested then, so why would I be interested now? 

Precisely what I said illustred right there : Confirmation bias and WWE reference. "I would not have cared if this match would have happened in WWE so I don't care here." Like, precisely.

Swann is a mediocre opening card guy who somehow has a "World" Title despite being the worst of the four wrestlers in his match last night.

Swann is a great worker and had some of the best matches in IMPACT (and everywhere) this year and the year prior. Terrific babyface, elevated by Callihan last year, memorable performances before and after his injury. The idea that he's an opening card guy is ludicrous to anyone who's followed him this last two years.

A lot of these guys look like they were rejected from wrestling on NWA Powerrr in a studio for $25 a night. While I'm not a Vince/Triple H body fetish type and appreciate all sorts of different looks and styles, more grooming and less sleazy indie rasslin' tattoos goes a long way with me.  

For fuck's sake.:D Indie's rasslin tatooes ? That's how far we've gone now ? I guess you've got guys with great looking mainstream promotion tatooes and guys with geeky indie rasslin' tatooes now. Can't wait for the MOVEZ tatooes argument. BTW, are Eric Young and the Good Brothers tattooes indie geek ugly ones or because they worked in NXT and WWE/NJPW they are considered the right kind of tatooes ? 

And yeah, this totally sounds like "they aren't WWE looking enough" to me, really, on that matter !

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)