Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Alucard said:

They're actually calling it together! 

Sounds amazing! Without a doubt THEE highlight of Striker's career, and let's face it, the highlight of every TNA wrestler who will find themselves in the same building with a living legend like Mauro.

Spoiler

It would be kind of cool to see Big Cass getting a shot, he seems to have worked hard to get his personal issues straightened out so I'm always glad to see people succeed in situations like that even if he isn't the greatest wrestler. 

Kenny won, as expected, pretty solid show overall.  Big Cass debuted as part of Eric Young's stable with the name W. Morrisey which I believe is his real name. He looked to be in pretty good shape even if the black pants he was wearing made him look like American Great Khali. 

FinJuice/Good Brothers themes back to back might be the two worst entrance themes I've ever heard in a single match.

I'm unreasonably annoyed that they kept talking up like there's never been a champion vs champion match when Don Callis is explicitly aping Heenan/Bockwinkel stuff and Bock himself was involved in multiple champion vs champion matches, and there were also plenty of AWA vs NWA and NWA vs WWWF matches not involving him. 

The Slammiversary teaser shows: Naito, Okada, Chelsea Green, Mickie James, Samoa Joe, Muta, and the flags of Mexico (Kalisto?) and Australia (IIconics?). Should be a banger of a show. I wish Impact would go a different route when it comes to advertising and marketing. The "We are still here" approach to things just comes off as depressing and needy. Stop telling me you are "Hard to kill". Just be awesome. Stop working against the talent with these bullshit tag lines. I don't know why Impact just can't stop being self-loathing, I hope Slammiversary is in front of a crowd.

Swann and Omega was good, as expected, but I am still down on the way AEW and Impact handled the build to this match. It started out with Swann getting punked by a security guard while Josh Matthews walks up the Omega's bus with all the confidence of a teenage boy asking the popular girl at school to go to the prom with him. This was of course followed by constant "paid advertisements" by Tony Khan where he buries Impact, no meaningful Impact crossover on AEW television relating specifically to Swann, and of course the press conference where D'Amore comes off like a complete mark that is just happy to be working with AEW. Impact has a lot of LOLTNA moments in its history, but there is also tons of gold. It's just bad presentation. Mix this in with the "we are still here and you have to deal with it" ads and its just a company that oozes low self esteem.

I love how that teaser for Slammiversary showed people who have appeared in TNA/Impact before (see Chelsea Green in her "hot mess" makeup) and it made people think that it means  those people might appear on this show too.

Not announcing the date past "July 2021" does make it seem like they are doing the math on when non competes end, so I guess there's that. 

It's true. Impact never said any of these people will be at Slammiversary or involved with TNA in any capacity. However, Impact has done similar video spots before and usually deliver. Could this all be a work to get some buzz going? Sure. If not, Slammiversary could turn out to be a must watch show. Impact is not in a position for any bait and switch antics whether assumed by fans or not. It also does a disservice to the current roster if the chatter around Slammiversary, as it is today, revolves around people who won't be there instead of people who will most likely be there like Sabin, Storm, Young, Grace, Fire & Flava, and others. Time will tell.

This is the same thing they did last year for Slammiversary which coincided with the same April 15 WWE releases. Last year's Slammiversary is when they got Gallows & Anderson, Heath, Eric Young, and EC3 back. Plus Brian Myers shortly after. While the video trailer showed clips of those guys in addition to some who did not show up like Mike Bennett & Maria, Rockstar Spud, and the Bulgarian Flag.

How much does Impact make a year? There is no way this company makes more than 3 million a year at this point and that's best case scenario. Youtube profits for the last 90 days, according to Variety (IIRC), were about 84k or so. If we break this into quarters, that's 336,000 give or take. Toss is 4-6 tent pole events a year at 30 dollars a pop that receive between 5-10K buys and we are looking at roughly 1 million dollars. Impact + has to have at least 10,000 people subscribed right? At 7.99 a month, assuming that number holds, then Impact should receive a little over 958,800 a year. Impact is shown in over 12 countries. I don't know the specifics of any of the deals, but I assume Impact is pulling it at least 100-500K a year in international TV Deals? All of this junky, rough, and completely speculative math brings Impact revenue between 2-3 million dollars per year. I am sure sponsorships, tickets sales (when that happens again), and merch help flesh out this number. Does any of this sound right? There is no way this company is making even close to 5 million a year, unless I am completely missing obvious revenue streams or super lucrative sponsorship deals. 

The company is owned by the TV station it airs on in the US and Canada, which means that even if it's not earning the revenue directly, it's generating revenue for its parent company. I don't have any clue how much that is, but I'm assuming based on the fact that they purchased the company that it's a relevant number for Anthem.

Deonna Purazzo came out to do commentary for the Reina de Renias (women's title) match at the AAA show tonight, so it looks like that partnership is still going on. 

Also if that means some AAA luchadoras are going to Impact it would make their women's division that match better. 

• 2 weeks later...

AAA is in the middle of a lawsuit with their US promoter and while it's going on they aren't allowed to do anything on US TV. It's why they had to take down their English YouTube channel and stop broadcasting on Twitch (well they were going to stop doing Twitch anyway but this gave them cover). Impact probably doesn't want to risk getting looped in to the mess. I know the AAA belt has shown up on Dynamite, but they are less afraid of it. 

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)