Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

Main event was wild and Jay White showing up was the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, cm funk said:

Cagematch says they had one singles match 1.28.18.  Can that be correct?

Yes, they had a singles match for the US championship at one of the New Beginning shows which Jay White won. After that, it was all about the road to redemption and the IWGP title for Omega.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main event was a great example of why Kenny is one of the greats. He works the style of the guy he's facing and is able to adjust what he does to work in that style. I noticed it when he faced Rey Fenix in AAA and it really saw it here. 

Not only that, he's able to do it in a way that creates a great match and puts over the opponent in the process. 

Pizza graters and forks don't cut it for me so I wasn't as wild about the main event as consensus (its very highly rated on GRAPPL), but it was still a very good match with an appropriate finish for what they were working.  Easily the match of the night although Ultimate X and Purrazzo/Rosa were also both good.

• 3 weeks later...

This week's Impact was solid with a good X Division multi-man setting up Jake Something to take on Josh Alexander. They had a great hoss fight at AAW earlier this year and I except nothing less. 

My only gripe is the reveal of Deonna's opponent at Empower. Her versus Melina is not that appealing to me when they could've gone with Kylie with the easy story of them not having their match at BFG.

Just now, Tenese Sarwieh said:

This week's Impact was solid with a good X Division multi-man setting up Jake Something to take on Josh Alexander. They had a great hoss fight at AAW earlier this year and I except nothing less. 

My only gripe is the reveal of Deonna's opponent at Empower. Her versus Melina is not that appealing to me when could've gone with Kylie with the easy story of them not having their match at BFG.

Agreed, but I can't fault any promotion for not wanting to put Kylie in any major positions considering her history.

Besides, I would assume that NWA will probably give more emphasis to Kamille vs Leyla Hirsch for their title than Deonna vs Melina. I haven't been overly impressed with Melina in the ring since she came out of her hiatus so for me, the interest of Kamille/Leyla is so much more there.

Also Deonna is so good, she can probably get a better match out of Melina than anyone else they could get. In fact that low key could be the show stealer match since Kamille/Layla has train wreck potential since Kamille has looked pretty green in what I've seen of her (which to be fair was back when NWA was on YouTube every week). 

• 3 weeks later...

On last week's show, you had :

_clips of the Good Brothers working against Mox (from AEW) & Yuji Nagata from the NJPW Resurgence show and teases of a match against the GoD from NJPW.

_clips of Deonna Purrazo winning the Reina de Reinas title from Triplemania (AAA mega show)

_promotional clips for NWA Empowerrr, the all women show promoted by the NWA where Purrazo is gonna work against Melina (and the NWA title is gonna be defended against Leila Hirsh, from AEW)

_Christian Cage, the IMPACT World champion, who's from AEW

You wanted the territory days back ? Well...

Also, Madison Rayne pulling out a Terry Funk and coming off retirement less than 8 months after she retired is awesome. Really now, she deserves to go in front of fans, so more Madison until then, I'm so there.

Emergence was a house show with a banger between Josh Alexander/Jake Something. Alexander has been having an incredible year and if Impact was a larger company he'd be getting strong consideration for Most Outstanding Wrestler or United States/Canada MVP.

Also since it's a foregone conclusion that Ace Austin is not beating Christain Cage for the belt he and Fulton should get a tag title run.  

13 hours ago, Tenese Sarwieh said:

Emergence was a house show with a banger between Josh Alexander/Jake Something.

Oh yeah, that match was a killer. They really did a great job with Alexander after the split of the North. Cool to see both guys do well, as Page has killed it too with Darby.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:21 AM, ButchReedMark said:

Josh Alexander is the finest pro wrestler on earth. 

What a year he's had. 

You don't say. 

That whole show was damn good ! Alexander vs Sabin and Cage vs Austin were great, the multi-men X-div match was just was you needed, Dashwood vs Wilde was very good (I'm SO glad about that Taylor Wilde comeback), Cardona vs Rohit was way too much fun and totally over-delivered to me, FinJuice vs Bullet Club was quite a terrific little match too (first time I'm really getting impressive stuff out of Hikuleo, and Bey was his usual great self, the guy keeps on improving). And the final scene was exactly was I expected and hoped for. That's what's so good about IMPACT, their booking is the most straight and logical you can find out there, predictable in the best possible way possible. Bound for Glory is probably gonna be terrific building from there.

(too bad Sami hurt his ankle during the next tapings though, he was on fire with Eddie, hopefully he gets some role like Eric Young)

• 2 weeks later...

That barn fight between Mickie & Deonna was something else. I'm sure there was some kind of Terry Funk tribute somewhere. Glad IMPACT is still doing this kind of stuff.

Having Chris Daniels work those tapings is really cool too. They foreshadowed his comeback to AEW as the Fallen Angel on BTE, so this is kinda like working Memphis TV before going back to the big time (although I'm sure it will be more Dark Elevation and such rather than the TV)

They knocked it out of the park with that show.

Awesome Kong being announced for the HoF, and of course being the woman she is, she makes it about Daffney rather than herself.

Some good matches in the tournament, which in the end, is won by Mercedes Martinez ! Great job by WWE to let her go after doing nothing with her, so now we can have either Mercedes vs Deonna or Mercedes vs Mickie James, of both ( I mean, gotta make a spot for Eva Marie I guess, can't have them all) ! I was expecting Chelsea Green to go into the finals, but I guess maybe they want to keep that match for later.

Deonna Purrazzo had yet another terrific performance, and damn I want more of Masha Slamovich ! I saw her at Empowerrr too but really she was a revelation here. She rules ! And I love the look which is totally reminiscent of Ruth Wilder as Zoya the Destroya in G.L.O.W ! Hopefully they bring her back. And Deonna is and remains one of my favorite pro-wrestler in the world.

It was kinda bittersweet that after last year when @Superstar Sleeze invited me to do the top 25 TNA matches ever, I actually brought up the infamous Monster's Ball match with Daffney and Taylor Wilde (I had it at 23 I believe), and now it gets some talk but due to those tragic circumstances. I had loved to see Taylor Wilde come back to wrestling last year, and she paid a really nice tribute to Daffney talking about this match. And speaking of which, nice of Kimber Lee to bring a crowbar in the ring and just play it like she was in IWA Japan in a countryside town show or something, bumping into barb wire, getting smashed with wired kendo stick, bumping into tacks. Alisha is funny because she's all cute and petite but you know she wants to roll into those tacks and show her husband she's hardcore too. Cool match.

And damn the Influence are such a fun act, with of course Madison Rayne being her hilarious self. I was half-expecting the IIconics to show up at the end of the show, but we got the vignette instead so yeah. They'll be right at home in IMPACT, and since they won't have WWE's bad comedy written for them, they'll probably be much better at what they do, happy to see them pop up there (the interactions with the Influence *have to* happen. Please). Main event was quite the good and fun affair, being a babyface suits Havok so much more too. They sure have given a serious push to Decay as tag champs, which is nice, all the titles feel important.

Cool clip about mental health awareness too, with tons of people from many places, I did not even recognize everyone.

Oh yeah, and Melissa Santos is STILL the best ring announcer in the world. 

On 10/11/2021 at 7:06 PM, El-P said:

Deonna Purrazzo had yet another terrific performance, and damn I want more of Masha Slamovich ! I saw her at Empowerrr too but really she was a revelation here. She rules ! And I love the look which is totally reminiscent of Ruth Wilder as Zoya the Destroya in G.L.O.W ! Hopefully they bring her back. And Deonna is and remains one of my favorite pro-wrestler in the world.

Agreed on all accounts with your take on the show. Super happy for Mercedes and Tasha Steelz is a total star. From live reports, Gail Kim came out after the match to offer Slamovich a contract

6 hours ago, Alucard said:

Super happy for Mercedes and Tasha Steelz is a total star. From live reports, Gail Kim came out after the match to offer Slamovich a contract

Oh yes, not the greatest worker in the ring, but I was impressed with how she carried herself as a star during this show. And those promos ? Although I've been enjoying her & Kiera Hogan I had not seen this coming. Seems like she really found herself.

Cool for Slamovich, looking forward to see more of her.

Oh yeah, give us Suzuki vs Alexander already.

Hell, Suzuki victimizing Matt Cardona would be fun too. Or a NOAH rematch with Eddie Edwards (I guess they met then). Or a match with Moose (who had an awesome match with Ishii).

The summit between Christian & Alexander was really well done in making Cage the subtle heel (which is needed). Using some footage from an AEW meet & greet to stir up the shit was a very cool touch.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)