Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Despite all the ridiculous stuff she was a part of, Dixie Carter showing up at Slammiversary 20 sounds right. I would hope the 5th man in the IMPACT team facing Honor No More is actually Jarrett, despite his WWE contract (I mean, they worked together so Mickie could show up at the Rumble).

Cards looks pretty fun, and they embracing the most ridiculous aspect of their history is actually pretty cool (Reverse Battle Royal, Queen of the Mountain match). Crazy that TNA/IMPACT is actually 20 years old. 

Slammiversary 20 was about as perfect as you could get to celebrate the 20 years of TNA/Impact in all its warped and flawed glory. The one quite surprising thing to me was no appearance nor video from Jarrett.

But apart from that, it was so much fun, with America's Most Wanted having beers with Good Brothers & Briscoes, a very cool spot involving Earl Hebner, who alongside his son paid tribute to Dave, Traci Brooks getting her cool spot too in the same match, D-Lo Brown also making a run-in hitting his two classic spots, Dixie Carter doing what she does (thanking the fans for their support), Goldylocks and Scott Hudson making backstage interviews, video tribute from Sting, Kurt Angle and holy shit AJ Styles !, Mickie James as a guest enforcer in the Queen of the Mountain Battle Royal (which had some great spots, they all worked super hard and made the best out of this silly yet engaging gimmick), Davey Richards as the fith man was actually quite cool and clever since it made for a good dynamic with his former partner, Moose & Sami Callihan having a monstruous garbage match (surprise surprise), Mike Bailey very deservingly so winning the Ultimate X in ways only he can. And that main event which was chockfull of tributes to past names of the promotion, with Alexander & Young using key spots and finishers from Kurt Angle, Chris Daniels, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Abyss, Bully Ray (the infamous exposing of the wood) and of course, Jeff Jarrett with the obligatory guitar shot. One hell of a feel-good show.

Basically, this show was the answer to the question : was it worth it despite all the stupid bullshit over the years ? And the answer is  YES !

I watched Slammiversary when I got from work and must say this was a damn good show and a perfect love letter to TNA/Impact's history. Everything ranged from good to excellent besides the knockouts tag match, which was awful. The cameos and video packages were a highlight, especially the tribute to Tenay/West; hopefully, Don will pull through. Everyone worked hard and put in the effort (even machinegunka). My main interest was the main event between Alexander/Young and the boy they delivered. They did enough to get the tribute spots in but made the match their own. It's not the greatest, but it is one of the year's best shows. 

How was the Briscoes/Good Brothers Tag Title match? I had wanted to see it, but I thought the Good Brothers had really lost a step over the last few years, specifically Gallows. I know the Briscoes can pull a decent match out of pretty much anybody but I thought the Good Brothers might be a challenge, even for them.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:55 AM, sek69 said:

Watching Impact for the first time in a while, and I realized based on body type it could be me under the Shark Boy mask. 

You realize I will never not picture you as Shark Boy now ?

RAVEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN is doing a cameo on the next special show. Dunno if I'm watching it as it happens or binge watch a bunch later during the summer though, depending on whatever I do or don't do in the next few weeks. But yeah, Raven on IMPACT in 2022 (yeah, I realize he did appearances on NWA a few months back too, but I actually did not watch).

Against All Odds last Friday was a pretty good show. Definitely recommend checking out Speedball vs. Trey Miguel and also the MCMG vs. Ace Austin & Chris Bey match. Moose vs. Sami was a wild, chaotic, weapons filled brawl and I expected nothing less from it.

Side note: I did watch the show live on Friday but had a huge seasonal allergy flare-up and was really groggy for the back half of the show thanks to some Benadryl. Anyway, went back and watched the whole show again today.

• 2 months later...

While this was not on the level of their previous specials, Impact had a decent outing with Victory Road. All the matches were entertaining, and Speedball continues his Midas year of everything he touches turning to gold. He and Bobby Fish should have an X-Division title match and go Ibushi/Taichi on each other. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit, Josh Alexander doing the Rolling German Suplexes Chris Benoit spot - with a twist - was pretty cool. Two rolling Germans then Eddie Edwards gets to the ropes. So then Alexander - while never breaking hold of the waist - takes him to the ring apron & hits a third... then STILL HOLDS ON as they fall to the floor. Hits a fourth on the floor. Then a fifth on the ramp to the ring. Crazy spot. Super cool.

EDIT: Here's a clip from Twitter posted by Alexander himself:

Edited by Coffey
Added a clip

Slowly catching up with IMPACT from this Summer. Yep, enjoying it more than AEW at this point. The July stuff had a LOT of terrific matches. The Killer Kelly vignettes is the stuff AEW needs (among other things). Very selfishly, I kinda hope Deonna, Josh and Callihan stays in IMPACT forever, they are SO AWESOME in this setting. That's the thing with smaller ponds, sometimes it's just more fun and some people shine there way more than they ever could in a bigger company, and it's not at all a matter of lesser talent (let's be real, who is more talented and compelling to watch, the fucking Miz and Bray Wyatt or Josh Alexander and Deonna Purrazzo ?). I guess I enjoy the smaller ponds better, in the end (aka ECW back in the days, LU in the 10's).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 5:09 AM, Alucard said:

Agreed - there's a stretch there from like that point July on where there's a great match almost every week on Impact. 

Yep, I'm impressed, best stretch of shows in IMPACT in a while. And Emergence had that Sami Callihan vs Steve Maclin, Jordynne Grace vs Mia Yim and Josh Alexander vs Alex Shelley combo that was pretty awesome, with a super solid undercard. 

Also, PCO being there was one more year is so cool. I believe he's the oldest guy still in action that I used to watch back in 1993 in WWF (with Billy Gunn, but he's not exactly having the same schedule or matches).

• 3 weeks later...

Bound for Glory ended up being one of the best and favorite show of the year to me, despite the very questionable Albany crowd (they kinda sucked at times). The 1-2 punch of Jordynne Grace vs Masha Slamovich and Josh Alexander vs Eddie Edwards great main events was incredible. And the undercard was plenty good, with Kazarian vs Mike Bailey as a terrific opener, MCMG vs the Kingdom also very good, fun enough stuff like the Death Dollz (Jessica is a pretty cool turnaround for Havoc, I feel this is the best character for her) vs VXT and the Call Your Shot Gauntlet (although I'm on the fence with Bully Ray coming back as a full fledge member, but thus far his stuff has been interesting enough character-wise). Mickie James vs Mia Yim was also quite good (I'll sure miss Yim). Overall, this has been a terrific year for IMPACT.

Really enjoying what they do in term of out of the box stuff like the desert brawl between Eddie Edwards and PCO (yes, I still enjoy some cinematic stuff when done right), or the Killer Kelly stuff. 

Alan Angels ending up back in a cult (VBD) is kinda cool too.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)