Pro Wrestling Only

Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)

Ricky Jackson

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

What I don't understand is seeing as how it seems like everyone wants to throw money at any and all B level MMA or boxing group they can find, why can't any non WWE wrestling groups get a sniff from anyone? Surely a promotion that has had some history of being able to run a show like Impact/ROH/MLW/whoever would be a better potential return on investment than some of these bumfights-ass MMA groups people are pouring money into.

My first throught was that not being live makes them less valuable in the eyes of broadcasters. But then again, Bellator shows are on tape delay sometimes as well. But yeah, Combate Americas got a TV deal, who even knows how these things work.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, TheDuke said:

In Canada they changed Impact's time slot earlier this fall on Game TV from 8 PM to like 12:30 AM Eastern which seems strange since I thought Impact was owned by a Canadian company now.

I misspoke. It is at 11:30 PM ET on Game TV in Canada. I was mistaken as it is 12:30 in my local time zone. I was watching Game TV for impact in Canada before because it is a basic cable channel with my TV provider whereas Fight Network in Canada is a specialty channel that i need to pay extra for. However I just noticed Fight TV is on free preview right now so i get to watch this week's Impact at 11 my time.

It's not quite a full on LOLTNA level moment, but EVOLVE just released a statement saying they won't be booking anyone contracted to Impact after the kerfluffle with LAX. Apparently they let LAX book themselves outside of the company, and didn't realize they would be working a show with WWE contracted talent until after it was announced. 

Seems like a thing a company should pay attention to if they are going to allow their tag champs to take outside bookings, but what do I know.

Okay. I'll gladly play devil's advocate here.

In no way, shape, form, or fashion do I believe it's an unreasonable expectation for Impact to be resistant to that idea. LAX is basically their top tag team. They've been a prominently featured act for 2 years now.

I mean, come on. I get that they allow their guys to take bookings elsewhere, but it's totally understandable why they'd have a problem with this one playing out that way.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:20 PM, SomethingSavage said:

Tessa is out-Flairing Charlotte in every possible way, too. Better talker. Smoother worker. More versatile all-around performer.

I simply love her. She's terrific. And she reminds me so much of her father too. The day the WWE grasp her I'm gonna be sad and I might break my boycott just to watch her vs Charlotte. You know this is coming eventually... I hope she remains in iMPACT for a long time though. No need the shitty WWE production to make her lesser.

Su Young's entrance is the best since Gangrel. She's kinda the best Bad Nurse Nakamura ever, which is really cool as hell.

Catching up on iMPACT slowly and this is such an easy watch. Callis is quite terrific too, very old-school. Funny how I was a huge fan 20 years ago (to the point of rooting for Kurrgan at the Royal Rumble 98, yeah, that's a fact) and he's just reaching his peak now as far as being a player in pro-wrestling after years of being away.

(Oh, and Scarlett Bordeaux)

Ken Kennedy/Anderson is forever king of the Stone Cold/Rock cosplay act, but yeah. Eli Drake has always subscribed to the same set of mannerisms & styles for the most part. I do still think he's an exceptional talent overall though.

Dude's got plenty of personality, and he carries himself like the largest star in the room at all times. He does the brash, arrogant, loud & obnoxious bit VERY believably. The Rock cadence & tempo is dated, but there are enough positive attributes in the guy.

His work is what it is. He's got some cool MOVEZ for a power guy, to be honest - although he can often look fairly uncoordinated and clunky (like a Cena in terms of athleticism).

But I've also been a fan since first discovering him as Shaun Ricker. So I'm admittedly invested in seeing the dude find some semblance of success wherever he goes.

12 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Ken Kennedy/Anderson is forever king of the Stone Cold/Rock cosplay act, but yeah. Eli Drake has always subscribed to the same set of mannerisms & styles for the most part. I do still think he's an exceptional talent overall though.

Dude's got plenty of personality, and he carries himself like the largest star in the room at all times. He does the brash, arrogant, loud & obnoxious bit VERY believably. The Rock cadence & tempo is dated, but there are enough positive attributes in the guy.

His work is what it is. He's got some cool MOVEZ for a power guy, to be honest - although he can often look fairly uncoordinated and clunky (like a Cena in terms of athleticism).

But I've also been a fan since first discovering him as Shaun Ricker. So I'm admittedly invested in seeing the dude find some semblance of success wherever he goes.

I agree that everything else about Eli Drake overrule the weaknesses you've talked about in his athleticism. I'm always willing to give a big chance to someone who's got a shitload of charisma, even if he isn't the most athletically gifted.

Drake's a guy that Impact really should be doing more with. As you guys have said, he's got charisma and a good delivery in his promos, even when given some pretty dire material. He's solid in the ring - nothing flashy - but given how many guys now all seem to work that 100mph indy flips and super kicks style, I'm getting drawn increasingly to those guys who just do the basics and leave it that. I'm not sure if his ring ability has reached a ceiling or if there's more to come, but as an example of what he can do when he's in there with the right opponent, I'd recommend people to check out a title match he had earlier in the year with Aries on TV (not the one where Aries beats him in 5 seconds) which I thought was really good. Impact need to find something better for him than feuding with people like Dreamer and Abyss though.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 7:40 PM, SomethingSavage said:

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on BFG when you get around to it. The show is different yet similar, with its own unique vibe & distinctly cool setting. It doesn't quite hit the high notes that Slammiversary reached (in my opinion), but it strives for several of them - and it doesn't fall too far off the mark.

Finally got to watched it. Liked it a lot. I won't go into much details because I'm lazy (and sick, as often during this time of the year), but the highlights to me clearly were the LAX vs OG's ridiculous brawl, which reeked of 90's japanese garbage sleaze (that set-up was right out of IWA Japan or early BJPW), the super-fun six-men spot-fu (with the four stars in the match right out of Lucha Underground fame, yeah !), Tessa vs Taya ("Tessa B. ain't nothing to fuck with!" is my new favorite chant), the ECW tribute brawl with Dreamer & Eddie vs Moose (great outfits) & Kross (gotta love the Low-ki chant) and the terrific main-event. Yeah, that's a lot of highlights. I didn't mind the Allie segment at all tbh. Pro-wrestling as pure fiction, I got on that boat a while ago with LU. Plus it's funny how despite their unlimited budget and so-called great production team, WWE always are the dirt-worst when they try to do stuff like this. I thought the idea of James Mitchell as the Gatekeeper to the underworld or whatever that is was quite the nice touch. The blood on the cam, very Zatoichi-esque. Why the hell not. Not a fan of Ellsworth at all (and he's too much of a WWE product/reject to evoke anything but WWE, which is not something you want), Drake actually gave him too much I thought. Cool opener and nice to see Mack getting another gig. I have no idea about the main-event post-match stuff, but it didn't really bother me honestly, the match was great, best babyface Johnny match I've seen, a real sense of urgency and hatred. Aries is such a great pro-wrestler, I hope he isn't done with iMPACT.

So, I guess I just have to catch up to be on time with the Nashville show. I won't lie, I would enjoy a Jarrett & Karen cameo.

So it was announced Impact is moving to something called the Pursuit Channel as of January 11. Sucks that apparently they couldn't get any interest at all since the channel is majority owned by Anthem. It's also going to mark the end of me watching it since only a handful of cable companies get the channel and mine's not watching them.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

So it was announced Impact is moving to something called the Pursuit Channel as of January 11. Sucks that apparently they couldn't get any interest at all since the channel is majority owned by Anthem. It's also going to mark the end of me watching it since only a handful of cable companies get the channel and mine's not watching them.

EDIT: Should've read sek's post carefully. Mod, please erase that post.

Thats.....uhh......exactly what I said in my post.

It continues to baffle me that everyone seems to be tripping over themselves to throw money at every B level obvious-front-for-a-money-laundering-scheme MMA league but smaller wrestling companies keep getting told to GTFO by networks. 

To be fair, the Impact/TNA name has a pretty fair amount of ill-will associated with it from the Dixie Carter years. Networks aren't entirely unjustified in being cautious about wanting to associate themselves with such a thing. Impact would probably be better served at this point by focusing on online distribution over bouncing between obscure cable networks.

Impact has been fun lately and easy to follow due to only having one show a week to watch. There isn't much that's really compelling but plenty to be entertained by. 

As for the move to Pursuit: I haven't been able to watch Impact on cable since they left Destination America. I'll find an upload online each weekend to keep up.

• Ricky Jackson changed the title to Is Impact* the best wrestling promotion in history? *(Now TNA again, 2024)