Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
paul sosnowski

[1977-01-17-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bruno Sammartino vs Ken Patera

The only version of this I can find online has a Mystery Science Theater voiceover (humorous commentary).   But if you want to see the match, here it is.   There is a regular version, PM me if you have any questions.

This was a fun WWWF title defense built around Patera's power and seeing if it's enough to conquer Bruno. Expect a lot of tense Greco-Roman knuckle locks and bearhugs during this one! I'm not much of a Bruno guy, but I thought that this was one of his better performances. He lets Patera get a lot of his shit in and he sells exceptionally well for it. He sells his pain by grimacing and groan and the MSG faithful get right behind him. Bruno's strikes on his comeback are basic, but they look snug and Patera flops around like a fish for them. We get a weak count-out finish, which would lead to them doing a Texas Death match at the next MSG show (which we sadly don't have on tape). I don't mind the idea of the count-out finish, but Patera striking Bruno with a chair right in front of the referee right before the ref decides to award the victory to Patera was certainly mind-boggling! ★★★¼