Pro Wrestling Only

General Wrestling Comments

Guest HTQ

--Talk about a big push. There were already bookings made by John Laurinaitis for house show matches in just a few weeks with DX vs. Daniel Rodimer & Edge & Randy Orton matches. They may be changed, depending on TV rollout or other decisions, but that is an accurate direction.

For those of you who don't know who Rodimer is:

Posted Image

Stephanie wants him pushed to the top in January.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he learns to work and gets good, I doubt he'll have a sustained run on top. He'll probably end up more in the Test/Billy Gunn mode where he gets chance after chance after chance for years and years and never really delivers.

Besides, WWE has no stars on the rise anymore. There's no one that everyone can agree and say "Hey, why aren't they pushing this guy?" like there was even two or three years ago. When Edge and Randy Orton are the most promising young guys the company has, something is wrong.

Guest DylanWaco

About the closest thing WWE has to a breakout superstar right now is CM Punk, and somehow I doubt he's ever going to get anything resembling the push Rodimer's due to get, no matter how over he already is with the WWE crowd.

Punks size is really going to hurt him long term. I hate to say that, but he really looks small next to nearly everyone else on the roster and in a company so obsessed with the "look", that's exactly the sort of thing that can hold back a breakout star.

Guest The Metal Maniac

That guy looks so much like Orton it's scary.

I can just picture the future of the WWE. A roster of dozens of guys who all look exactly like that, can't cut a promo for shit, and can barely work a 5 minute match.

Yay.

--The main matches on the 1/14 TNA PPV are Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle, Abyss vs. Christian Cage vs. Sting for the NWA title, LAX vs. Team 3-D for the NWA tag titles, Christopher Daniels vs. Jerry Lynn vs. Chris Sabin for the X title and Rhino vs. A.J. Styles. I presume also Chris Harris vs. James Storm. All the main bouts will have to be finalized by tonight's taping.

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle went from being a dream match to just another match in record time. Even I didn't think TNA would fuck Joe vs. Angle this badly.

Add this to the insanity:

--Steve Godfrey of TNA contacted us to note that there is a real million dollars that the company has earmarked for the so-called million dollar challenge angle they are doing.

I've come to the conclusion that my favorite piece of WWE revisionist history is that the territories died because they didn't know how to deal with competition. This comes up on the AWA disc where Bobby Heenan talks about Verne asking why Vince was running shows in Minneapolis, didn't he know that was AWA territory, and Bobby replies that you see 4 gas stations at an intersection (basically stating that Verne didn't know how to deal with someone else running a show nearby).

This amuses me because the WWF had all the important venues in the Northeast on lock for most of the 80s. It's easy for Vince to say "ol' Verne just couldn't hang with us" when no one was allowed to run shows in the big venues in Boston, NYC, Washington, and Pittsburgh. Hell, till its death WCW had to run in the AJ Palumbo Center on Duquesne University's campus (seats about 5,000) since Vince had control of the Civic (now Mellon) Arena here.

Guess Vince didn't know how to handle competition in *his* territory either.

Vince's version of the truth has always been funny.

It wasn't just the northeast where Vince locked up arenas. He started locking many of them up as he expanded. Crockett didn't run in the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago. He ran at UIC Pavillion. That was the case in many cities, with Crockett getting pushed to smaller, older venues.

Vince was extremely smart in this.

He also expanded with syndication and shows just about everywhere. If he'd run into a problem like he did in promoting in Crockett Country or Von Erich Land, he rethink it. But he also gobbled up "dead territories" left and right. The old Los Angeles territory. What had been the Northern California territory. Detriot. Cleveland. Indy. Lots of other decent sized cities. That in addition to going to war with the AWA (which probably was his #1 target as a territory because of Chicago), St. Louis, Flordia, etc.

There was the thread on Classics about Hogan and Austin as draws. A side tangent of it was about Austin going into areas where the WWF had "never draw" and drawing big there. I tried to walk through a bit of what Vince had done with Hogan, that he both reinvigorated dead territories and also went into opposition towns. Not all were successful. But the number of cities and territories, along with the size of the specific cities and terrotories, was a lot larger than Austin's. It wasn't intended as a knock on Austin, and I don't think it was read as such. More that what happened during Expansion wasn't getting its due in the thread, by some people who really knew better (or should have if they weren't so busy putting over recent history and smacking Hogan). :)

Anyway... I digress.

John

As much as I didnt want to see Edge vs. Cena again, that match last night was better than some of their PPV efforts (SummerSlam included). Not fond of the finish, but there was some good stuff there while it lasted.

Too bad I fell asleep ten minutes later with the Cryme Tyme bit.

--Raw and Impact go head-to-head in February. Because of the Westminster Dog show, the Raw show usually on 2/12 is being moved to Thursday, 2/15 at 8-10:05 p.m. on the USA Network, meaning hour two goes head-to-head with Impact. (thanks to Devin Cutting)

You just know this will be an excuse for Russo to cram Impact with even more stuff to try and do well against Raw.

--Regarding stories that have come out of Mexico on Konnan, he did not have the scheduled hip replacement surgery on Wednesday because when they opened him up, they found his kidneys in terrible shape and didn't want to risk surgery. Konnan is back in the U.S. undergoing kidney dialysis regularly until next week. He is scheduled for surgery late next week, but the bad news is his kidneys are so damaged he needs a kidney transplant.

Not the best of news to end your year on.