Pro Wrestling Only

So what is everybody doing?

AstroBoy

Clearly we all watch a ton of wrestling here, but I get the feeling that most of us don't just aimlessly watch matches and shows with no larger picture in mind.  Seems like most people enjoy diving into certain styles, wrestling, eras, etc. . . in big chunks and working from a more holistic place, so let's hear it.  For those of you who are working on some kind of larger project or watching wrestling from a certain perspective right now, I'd love to hear about it.  I know there was talk some months back about groups of us doing more focused sort of side projects about concrete groups or time periods. 

Personally, besides keeping up with some modern WWE stuff, I am mostly focused on working my way through PWO2K at the moment.  Beyond that, I have some of the Puerto Rico and Portland discs that need re-watching.  Longer view, I've been waiting to tackle some kind of World of Sport project and maybe begin watching Joshi at some point as well.  Stupidly I'd like to try some kind of 24-hour wrestling marathon sometime and keep a stream of consciousness journal while I do it.  In the far, far off. . . sort of considering doing some kind of podcast if the right partner comes along.

So yeah, what's everybody doing with all this crazy amount of footage right now?

Currently still plugging away on PWO2K after a bit of a break.  My hope was that I'd finish 2000 by the end of the year although it will take a small miracle for that to happen now.  if I can get two thirds of the way through everything I intend to watch though I'll be happy, which in theory should then mean I'll have the first year finished by the end of 2019.  Jeez!  Getting sidetracked by 2001 didn't help matters though.  As a bit of an update I've watched 712 matches from 2000 (out of a scheduled 1,116) and 105 from 2001 (out of a scheduled 783), although both 'scheduled' numbers will increase a fair bit along the way.

Main current project is a big Bobby Heenan watchlist, which I've been doing for a couple years now. Started with the meager footage of the 60s and 70s and now I'm all the way to '92. Not sure how long I'll continue now that he's done managing, but it's been so cool watching week to week WWF TV from the 80s and 90s that I will at least finish through his exit. WCW is a question mark, there would be some great stuff in that run but some shlock too, and it's surely not Heenan's finest work by a larger margin.

Also keeping up with Lucha Underground and CHIKARA, and cherry picking other 2018 stuff from other promotions. Favorite stuff to follow has been wXw, Stardom, CMLL, and some SoCal indy stuff.

Still watching RAW and Smackdown every week, but poking around and fast-forwarding to the point where it takes me a little over an hour to watch RAW and a little under to watch SD.

Since about Wrestlemania, for the monthly WWE Network supercards/PPV's, just watching a few of the bigger matches that are more compelling to me.

Poking around NXT and LU, mostly around hyped matches or debuts in the case of NXT, but Takeovers get watched in their entirety.

I have an NJPW World subscription, but I mainly watch the tour-ending shows in complete only, and big singles matches on other shows.

I also have a Powerbomb.tv subscription, mainly checking out Beyond shows, and poking around Black Label, and other individual matches here and there.

With the WWE Network, I am working my way through big WWF/WCW PPVs/Clashes/SMNE's about once or twice a month, about to enter 1990 now.

I am also occasionally taking a weekend afternoon and watching back-to-back-episodes of 1982 Mid-South, World Class, and Mid-Atlantic from the same weekend. A fun experiment in "what was happening this particular week". But again, this is going rather slowly.

On the podcast side, I am listening to Between The Sheets, primarily on my work commute.

And I am working my way through the Portland set, widing down my nights with one match at the end of every night as I am dozing off to sleep.

And sneaking in a Game Changer Wrestling full show download here and there.

So while I am rarely watching entire shows from start to finish, I am still getting a good variety of wrestling to watch every week and it's honestly keeping me from burning out on any one promotion or style. And it's enough where I get plenty of wrestling in to watch, while also still taking time to live a life, enjoy social activities, and indulge in movies and a few tv shows I follow.

Right now I watch NXT every week, I'm working my way through this years G1, mostly cherry picking my way through.  And I usually watch the CMLL friday night show or at least parts of it. I'll also watch anything that gets really hyped around here. I also an slowly working my way through the nominees at the Greatest Match Ever project that I haven't seen. 

Depends.... what year? I really enjoyed their Wednesday show. I feel like it an ok wrestling show from 2004 until about 2006, then a not so good show in 2007, then unwatchable for about a decade until recently. But those first 3 years or so where it was basically an NWA weekly show and featured a lot of ROH guys and had a main event scene revolving around AJ Styles, Ken Shamrock, Raven, R Truth, and Jarrett. I thought that was a fun promotion. 

I've been watching the archives in DDT Universe for a while now, it's been entertaining. Also going through whichever 80s lucha matches I can find, but at a slower pace.

I wanna watch  late Battlarts as exhaustively as I can at some point, as well as a less exhaustive watch of recent New Japan.

I need a more structured way to view stuff rather than just dipping in and out. This weekends Triplemania has really piqued my interest into delving into some of the Lucha greats, but like most things it's a daunting task to undertake. When people talk about the Yearbooks and Projects is that something that's available to purchase or something that's being kept under lock and key in the depths of the internet?

Alongside trying to keep up with the modern UK scene, my main project which I need to get back on is the FWA rewatch that I've been doing. I've worked my way through the pretty awful MY TV run they had on local TV in Portsmouth in 2001 up to British Uprising III the biggest show the company ever did in November 2004. It's been excellent so far - although I'm yet to hit the company's downturn - but reigniting my love for all things Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch and Doug Williams. I've been putting the reviews of matches in the newly re-branded PWO Database Plus if anyone wants to follow along. Still plenty of shows to work through!

Alongside that, I'm really digging Impact these last few months as well as on a weekly basis try to catch the weekly ROH, NXT, MLW and Lucha Underground TV. Basically the main thing that has fallen off this year has been WWE watching. The last third of Wrestlemania left a really bad taste in the mouth and aside from some fun Smackdown's I've not watched a PPV since Mania. 

If you have the time, and the inclination having a project and some structure to watching matches for a specific wrestler or working your way chronologically through a promotion can be a really rewarding way of getting fully immersed in what you are watching.      

My main focus is on my website which is WWE centric. I feature profiles on not oft-mentioned figures from WWE's past (particularly the CWC and WWWF yrs), columns and even a hall of fame which I'm currently taking nominations for. I'm trying to draw the fans who are knowledgeable about the Capitol Wrestling yrs. Check it out: http://www.justbringingtheraw.com. You can also follow me on Twitter: @libsuperstar.

I don't watch wrestling in large chunks and don't really focus on projects. I tried that with the PWO2K and watched everything I intended to, but I got burned out and bored.

Currently I have a YouTube playlist with about 20 or so Terry Funk matches I've never seen before. I watch 1 or 2 matches in the afternoon when I get home from work and that's about it when it comes to any type of binge watching or projects for me.

I watch NXT every week. If there's a pimped segment or match on RAW or Smackdown, I'll give it a gander, but it's rare that I sit through a whole show. If I do, it's Smackdown. RAW as a whole can go hang. I'm not watching a three hour show every damn week. Beyond that, it's whatever current stuff that strikes my fancy or gets pimped here and DVDVR. I wish I was a little more proactive on my own about seeking stuff out, but I've never really been that way. I am going to give Progress a whirl soon, though. Also need to jam out some WALTER matches. 

As of right now, I've got one of the 94 set discs on while I'm writing. I just picked up a PS4 after not having a DVD player for a while. I've been throwing in random 92 and 94 discs while I practice drum rudiments or write lately. I do have the Portland set, and I will be dedicating a lot of time to that very soon. The Yearbooks have all kinds of amazing stuff to watch, but they're also perfect to just throw on in the background while you're farting around the house. I want to give that Portland set a very thorough watch. What I have seen of it is really, really cool. 

Once I dust that off, I'm gonna buy a new set or two. 

Anybody else just leave the Network on while they sleep at night?