Pro Wrestling Only

Triplemania XXVI Thread

sek69

15 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Is L.A. Park the Greatest Wrestler Who Ever Lived?

If he isn't then he is definitely one of the most entertaining ones ever

The idea that you are willing to pull your own mask off in order to win a match by DQ in a mask vs mask match probably makes a ton of sense for long time lucha fans but for the only a few times people like me I don't get it.  But it didn't lead to the finish so no harm

watched the main event and the hardcore six man both were enjoyable the six man as a pure car crash of stupidity. The main event was really good, the cage section was decent and then the singles section was really good, they did too much ref bullshit and it got tired but for the most of it it was really good. Some good emotion as you would expect even if the loser was the one expected since the match was announced.

I would say you should go out of your way to see the main. I thought it was a ton of fun. I get taken out of it by the excessive ref stuff (just can't help it), but this was still a match that offers a lot in the way of drama and violence.

3 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Anything here I should go out of my way to watch?  Sounds like some fun or interesting angles if you're invested in the company, but not getting the sense that there's anything for a casual viewer to pop in for. 

I'd say the hardcore match is the only must watch for me (very, very silly but/and I loved it). 

The opening match on the pre-show is sloppier than a lot of this year's really good high-flying openers have been (so I'd highly recommend you watch those if you haven't), but still pretty fun. The ladder match, while also far from perfect, has so many incredibly athletic people packed in you might as well. The title match has really fun Fenix stuff mixed in with some junk and the mask match has the drama built in but I don't think it's that special overall.

The whole show felt like driving by the scene of a car crash. And I mean that in a good XPW sort of way not in a 2000 WCW sort of way. The show was a clusterfuck full of missed cues, late starts,  and technical problems. The English commentary was so bad that it was actually kind of enjoyable to listen to those two and there a complete lack of professionalism. What could be more unprofessional than two commentators constantly trying to get themselves over? How about a commentator that won't stay seated and actually do commentary. None of the matches were must see, but all of them were fun and had at least one or two spots where somebody seriously risked their long term health. The ladder match was a blast with a lot of dangerous, clever spots I'd never seen before. The main event was straight up AAA nuttiness. And that 6 man was the worlds greatest dumpster fire. 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:47 AM, joeg said:

The whole show felt like driving by the scene of a car crash. And I mean that in a good XPW sort of way not in a 2000 WCW sort of way. The show was a clusterfuck full of missed cues, late starts,  and technical problems. The English commentary was so bad that it was actually kind of enjoyable to listen to those two and there a complete lack of professionalism. What could be more unprofessional than two commentators constantly trying to get themselves over? How about a commentator that won't stay seated and actually do commentary. None of the matches were must see, but all of them were fun and had at least one or two spots where somebody seriously risked their long term health. The ladder match was a blast with a lot of dangerous, clever spots I'd never seen before. The main event was straight up AAA nuttiness. And that 6 man was the worlds greatest dumpster fire. 

This just about sums it up, although I may not be quite as enthusiastic about it.  Appreciate the recs from everyone.  The ladder match was fun for what it was as they maintained a solid pace with enough crazy spots and oddities to keep things interesting the whole way.  The 6-man brawl was definitely my favorite outing on the night.  I usually stay away from anything that even resembles a death match (referring to your BJW spectacles here), but they did a good job of making this feel like a violent brawl that used weapons rather than a gory spectacle.  

The title match and main event didn't do too much with me as they both had too much dead time rather than than any focus or peaks, but both had their moments.  

Definitely an interesting watch.  Loved the building and the stage setup.  

Clear highlights :

The pretty girl with he headset (is she a producer ?) behind the announcers, looking totally bored or checking her phone all the time.

"Where the fuck is my music ?"

The amazing slaughterhouse that was the 6-men extreme lucha match. Pagano is fucking insane. Murder, whoever he is, is a pretty awesome monster. And hell, that summoned the spirit of FMW (I know BJW has been doing this for 20 years now, but I'm an old FMW fan). Gotta love that this is happening before a family audience. Ahhh, Mexico. It's another world.

Watching Faby Apache, 20 years after I pretty much saw her debut in ARSION, in a major match. And damn, she's good. I could have done with less bullshit (the evil referee is terrible), but it was still a hot match following an impossible match to follow. Cool that it was featured third from the top too. Gran Apache would have been proud.

Jeff Jarrett stooging, stalling and seeking heat old school style like nobody's business. That and Fenix almost costing himself his career in AAA by missing Miss Pena's face by not much. Well, that was a fun Double J Special match, and cool to see him healthy.

L.A. Park's spear, which looked better than anyone's since Goldy. And the main event as a whole, although the result was never in doubt even for me who hasn't watched a lucha show in two years and don't know much about it. No way Park was losing his mask to Hijo del Fantasma. I really could do without the heel referee, which always comes off cheesy as hell, not to mention he's just fucking terrible.

And yeah, I admit it, Striker & Vamp, who say a lot of shit but it feels like real life as opposed to corporate drones, so it's more in line with the show itself, which is gritty, full of misses and fuck ups. Like life is.

I don't know if anyone watched it, but there was a documentary after the show on Twich that was sponsored by GoPro. There were three parts: Vampiro as broken down garbage wrestler who realized he didn't have any skillset for a non wrestling job, so he studied the production side to get a backstage gig. He was more or less presented as a cautionary tale, a guy who sacrificed his marriage and watching his daughter grow up in order to be a big star in wrestling.

The second part was about Faby Apache, talking about how her dad was the typical Wrestling Dad who didn't want his kids to get involved only to relent when he realized how much they wanted to do it. They show her running the school her father ran forever, complete with some scenes of her son (who was part of an angle in AAA when he was a baby) doing some basic rope-running type training in the ring. She also mentioned how her dad passed quickly after being diagnosed with stomach cancer and how she still missed him terribly. The most striking part was how they showed her living in a modest apartment despite being in wrestling for so long and running the training school that produced practically everyone of note that ever came up through AAA. They showed scenes from a houseshow in December wher Goya Kong broke her leg in two doing a somersault dive in a match where the ref was wearing a Go Pro cam, showing his point of view of Mamba asking "how is Gloria" since he saw her injury from the ring but had to keep selling. 

The third part was Hijo del Phantasma, showing him living in a fancier high rise apartment since he had a day job with the government (possibly related to his dad being the boxing and wrestling commissioner but they didn't say that) so he had more of a steady income than the others. He was talking about how much he loved wrestling but it was taking him away from his family. He came across as a level headed guy who wanted to balance family and work.