Pro Wrestling Only

All In

Loss

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there, and this may have been the most fun wrestling show I've ever attended.  The crowd was on fire the entire night.  There was such a positive and excited feeling in the crowd throughout the night.  The Cody title win is probably the loudest I've seen a crowd live throughout an entire match.  The next closest I can think of is TakeOver Dallas I attended with Zayn/Nakamura.  His entrance was really epic, and you could feel the real emotion pouring out from the fans after the victory.  This was something special. 

Marty taking the hit for his match against Okada kinda puts things into perspective. Of course they can try to play that into the next BTE episodes, but I think it is telling that both pretty much refused to take it home.

It is a very pro wrestling thing, to be honest - nearly ruining your friends' most important event.

If the MJF/Matt Cross match didn't happen, the main event would have ended on time.  Maybe it's a coincidence but I couldn't help but notice that match was exactly the amount of time that had to be cut from the main event.  We'll probably never know for sure, but it sure seems like guys who never had to time out a show of this level before wanted to squeeze in another match to get some guys a payday and now Marty is taking one for the team. 

The Okada-Scurll match was too long, and Okada needs to improve as a hierarchy worker in general. But the main event did not need to be twice as long as it was. Maybe five more minutes? I'd rather have it at 12 minutes than 28 or whatever. 

The reactions to All In have been fascinating. I give those guys all the credit in the world for pulling it off. But the people talking about it about it as an all-time great show feel like those who really  wanted it to work in the first place. I thought it was pretty comparable to Summerslam -- long, generally entertaining, a few really good matches and some crap. It was obviously more momentous as an event,  and I'm glad to hear it was so fun to attend. But listening to Meltz and Alvarez, you'd think they blew WWE out of the water, and I just didn't see that. 

I think the Barely Legal comparisons are the most accurate one, historic in the sense that it's a show no one thought would happen, but not an all time great in ring show. It was nice to see a show where the company wasn't actively fighting their fans at every turn, and people who followed the storylines got rewarded instead of being made to feel stupid. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Isn't the story that Joey Mercury was supposed to there as an agent in charge of timing everything but he got arrested? And that left Cody with another thing on his already crowded plate?

Yes, he was sleeping in his car and when the cops showed up they found he has a warrant outstanding from Florida. He was supposed to run the pre show and be in the gorilla position so I would assume part of his responsiblities to time out the show. 

I was in Chicago for All In and also for the Starrcast convention. I had a great time. I have to say that I'm the type of fan who tends to enjoy live shows more than watching shows on TV. So, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I would have watched it on TV. For example, when I'm at home just being a guy behind his laptop, I guess I'm a lot more picky when I watch stuff. However, when I'm an actual ticket paying fan in attendance, I'm trying to enjoy things as much as possible and I'm more open to enjoying different things.

My favorite match was Kenny Omega vs. Pentagon Jr. and I think that was the only match I'd like to re-watch at some point. Other than that, I think it was more the vibe of the entire event that made it memorable. Don't get me wrong, there were other matches that I also really enjoyed watching live, but, now that I'm home, I don't really feel the urge to re-watch anything other than possibly the Kenny Omega match (I guess because I'm a Kenny Omega mark). The crowd was great from start to finish. I'd say that the guys who organized it definitely got the job done.

Starrcast was lots of fun as well. I think the people who organized it ended up being a bit overwhelmed, but I think they did a great job. It was great to meet wrestlers and fans. The vibe was positive and great.

I think it's great they were able to pull this off. I'd say it was a big success and I think a lot of people were very happy. I'm glad I made the trip. I had a blast. For whatever it's worth, I'd certainly consider it a historical weekend. They pulled off what they wanted to pull off and the build-up had a satisfying conclusion, I'd say.

So, here's what I think about the all-time great wrestling show discussion...

One of the all-time great wrestling shows strictly from an in-ring perspective? No. It's not even the best show of this year.

One of the all-time great wrestling shows from the perspective of a fan being there live experiencing it in person? Yes, absolutely!

I finally got around it. This show blows the fuck out of any US shows (yeah, read WWE) this year with an inflatable dick, it's not even funny. Everything was at least fun (the celebrity match, and damn if I didn't pop for Jerry Lynn) and mostly good to great (the last three match basically). I can totally see the comparison to Barely Legal, with the fun footnote of the show running late and being cut seconds after it ended (no foot doctor in the locker room arena saving lifes though), as it was really THE show the hardcore wrestling crowd tired of the dull WWE bullshit was waiting for. Guess what, a show that actually catered to its audience and delivered what they paid for. Crazy notion. The atmosphere was everything you'd want for such an event, hot and reacting to everything (they weren't trolled, it helps too). 

Cody vs Aldi was ok as a match but really cool as an event. Fucking Glacier as a second ! DDP (I realized then I have been listening to this guy almost 6 days out of 7 every week for a year and a half now, I'm so familiar with him !) ! And damn if Brandi is not the hottest woman in pro-wrestling today. Speaking of which, she did a hell of a job with Jay Lethal later on, in the quite funny "I'm not Liz !" bit. I dunno if Lethal is an asshole, but watching him bust out the Savage cosplay in 2018 was really cool, and he's still awesome at it. Lanny Poffo throwing frisbees  !!! How in the hell does this not get a dozen stars ? Hangman Page vs Joey Janela was all about dying a graphic death, which I'm all in about. I forgot, this match was great too and ECW as fuck (yeah, let's have a go at Penelope, except it's 2018 so she does kicks ass too). The post match must have made Corny go insane, but what the hell, Dick Druids ? Fuck me I'm there ! All of this in front of 10.000 strong ! This is so great. And then yeah, Omega vs Penta (gotta love how the guy has a bunch of different names and attires wherever he's working) was a terrific sprint, Okada vs Scurll was simply a great match (too long ? naaah, it's too bad it went overlong for the timing of the show but I didn't thing there was one second too much. Okada truly is a master, there's no way around it.) and the final six men was the greatest Nitro cruiserweight opening match ever. 

I hope none of this guys gets signed with the WWE soon, it's sad enough Rey is going back to that bottomless pit of irrelevance that is modern WWE booking instead of working the Dome in January in a featured match.

No idea where this is going, if anywhere (if that's the Barely Legal of its generation, it will go nowhere but I clearly hope not), but this was a great night of pro-wrestling. One week after Triplemania, one month after the G1, a week before the CMLL Anniversary show and more NJ stuff dropping and LU still kicking around. Yeah, this is a great time to be a pro-wrestling fan.

Everyone seems to just assume that Cody/Omega/Bucks going to WWE is just a thing that's destined to happen but I just don't see it. At least not this time around. Kenny's the top foreginer in NJPW and the guy they want to build their world expansion around. The Bucks can make as much money they probably would on an NXT deal and work half the time (both also have young kids they probably don't want to spend less time around), and Cody is able to do more than he would if he spend a hundred years in WWE. All of them stated they value the creative freedom their current situation allows, and even though WWE has the budget to throw "fuck you" money at anyone I don't see them wanting to throw their pay structure out of whack just to get the All In crew. 

I'm sure they all would want to do a WWE run at some point as the victory lap in the later stages of their career, but if anything this show was solid proof that they don't need WWE to succeed.

15 hours ago, El-P said:

I finally got around it. This show blows the fuck out of any US shows (yeah, read WWE) this year with an inflatable dick, it's not even funny. Everything was at least fun (the celebrity match, and damn if I didn't pop for Jerry Lynn) and mostly good to great (the last three match basically). I can totally see the comparison to Barely Legal, with the fun footnote of the show running late and being cut seconds after it ended (no foot doctor in the locker room arena saving lifes though), as it was really THE show the hardcore wrestling crowd tired of the dull WWE bullshit was waiting for. Guess what, a show that actually catered to its audience and delivered what they paid for. Crazy notion. The atmosphere was everything you'd want for such an event, hot and reacting to everything (they weren't trolled, it helps too). 

Cody vs Aldi was ok as a match but really cool as an event. Fucking Glacier as a second ! DDP (I realized then I have been listening to this guy almost 6 days out of 7 every week for a year and a half now, I'm so familiar with him !) ! And damn if Brandi is not the hottest woman in pro-wrestling today. Speaking of which, she did a hell of a job with Jay Lethal later on, in the quite funny "I'm not Liz !" bit. I dunno if Lethal is an asshole, but watching him bust out the Savage cosplay in 2018 was really cool, and he's still awesome at it. Lanny Poffo throwing frisbees  !!! How in the hell does this not get a dozen stars ? Hangman Page vs Joey Janela was all about dying a graphic death, which I'm all in about. I forgot, this match was great too and ECW as fuck (yeah, let's have a go at Penelope, except it's 2018 so she does kicks ass too). The post match must have made Corny go insane, but what the hell, Dick Druids ? Fuck me I'm there ! All of this in front of 10.000 strong ! This is so great. And then yeah, Omega vs Penta (gotta love how the guy has a bunch of different names and attires wherever he's working) was a terrific sprint, Okada vs Scurll was simply a great match (too long ? naaah, it's too bad it went overlong for the timing of the show but I didn't thing there was one second too much. Okada truly is a master, there's no way around it.) and the final six men was the greatest Nitro cruiserweight opening match ever. 

I hope none of this guys gets signed with the WWE soon, it's sad enough Rey is going back to that bottomless pit of irrelevance that is modern WWE booking instead of working the Dome in January in a featured match.

No idea where this is going, if anywhere (if that's the Barely Legal of its generation, it will go nowhere but I clearly hope not), but this was a great night of pro-wrestling. One week after Triplemania, one month after the G1, a week before the CMLL Anniversary show and more NJ stuff dropping and LU still kicking around. Yeah, this is a great time to be a pro-wrestling fan.

This echoes a lot of my own thoughts on the show. I thought it was an event that was great fun and had an energy and spirit to it that a number of shows (both WWE and non WWE) just don't have. I don't watch BTE, but the fact that from what I've read from other people that they paid off angles and inserted jokes/storylines from it in the show is great - rewarding people for being fans and following along.

Not to simply ape what others have said, but it did have that Barely Legal vibe, in that while none of the matches were absolute blow away - although I thought the main event could've been given some more time - everything was entertaining with a sense of purpose and excitement behind it.

I'm glad there's someone else out there who actually liked the Okada/Scurll match. I'm definitely a big Marty apologist and like him a lot more than most round here, and while it probably could've done with a few mins shaved off, I found it pretty compelling the whole way through, given from the buzz immediately after the show it sounded like it was going to be a 45 minute snoozefest, when I enjoyed it. 

Omega vs Pentagon was great fun, and I thought Pentagon looked really good in it and super competitive with a guy that could be perceived as being above his level. I could leave the arm break spot being used in this one though - that's actually a move that feels much more at home in the Lucha Underground universe.

I think I'm in a minority of one (must be another case of bias towards a UK guy) in not actually minding Aldis - I've liked him as the NWA champ - and so I found the NWA Title match pretty compelling, even if it was a bit disjointed at times, and I know it had all the bells and whistles to get around the fact that neither guy is super compelling and dynamic in the ring (not that I think either is bad though) but in terms of presentation with the seconds, that is exactly how I want to see big title matches in wrestling presented. People talk about 'big fight feels' but the entrances definitely gave you that. I'm just listening to the review of the show that Post Wrestling did and they make the point that the way legends were used on the show was perfect - enough to get that nostalgia pop but without overshadowing the guys and girls of today.  

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

So has anyone ever figured out what the fuck Samuel Shaw was doing in Aldis's corner? I'll cop to not keeping up with the stuff the NWA does on YouTube but it seemed like the people who did were just as puzzled as I was. 

I guess they had him there since he does commentary.

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

So has anyone ever figured out what the fuck Samuel Shaw was doing in Aldis's corner? I'll cop to not keeping up with the stuff the NWA does on YouTube but it seemed like the people who did were just as puzzled as I was. 

Yeah, unless you've watched all the Ten Pounds of Gold videos you would be a bit puzzled - but Shaw appeared in a couple of the earlier ones and I think is fairly heavily involved in the production of the videos and working with Dave Lagana. Aldis' corner men was a bit of a random group - Jarrett obviously made a lot of sense given his own NWA title reigns, and the fact he's always been high on Aldis, and then Tim Storm being there given he was the champ at the beginning of the Corgan era, but Shawn Daivari was pretty random but I think that's just a case of him being Aldis' buddy and a face that is somewhat recognizable. It was just a shame given Mickie James is under WWE contract you couldn't have had her out there to counteract Brandi and add another layer to the presentation. 

7 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

Aldis' corner men was a bit of a random group - Jarrett obviously made a lot of sense given his own NWA title reigns, and the fact he's always been high on Aldis

Apparently, there was heat between Aldis and Jarrett...

Wasn't Jarrett behind getting a ROH PPV pulled from either  Dish or Direct ? If a recall Impact claimed ownership of Matt Hardy's  broken gimmick .  Jarrett sent letters to every PPV provider  in an effort to get ROH's wrestlemania  show off the air.  After Jarrett was out of the way ,  Callis and  D 'Amore  dropped that policy and let the Impact keep their own gimmicks.

Apparently Jarrett has some type of  business deal with FITE . Which got him booked at ALL IN and promoting NWA 70. Why does  FITE  need Jarrett ? He not a money mark and he has heat with ROH and IMPACT ? It will be interested to see if Jarrett can make a comeback and survive in the business . Hopefully he stops sending cease and desist and suing wrestling promotions .

If anything, I feel like people are undervaluing that Cody/Aldis match. I mean, nah. It doesn't stack up to what you'd want from an indie super show or a New Japan headlined card, but that would have been a blow away match if it went on last at any of the 22 yearly WWE specials.

Cody caught a lot of shit when he first set out to tackle all these bookings and latch onto any independent booking he could find. And sure. He may never be Kenny Omega as an athlete. But fuck, man. He's come a long way as an overall performer. The act with Brandi is certainly a resourceful weapon in his arsenal, but there's so much he's doing on his own now as well.

That match felt like a WWE main event in terms of action. It was framed very much in that way - except it was leveled up by all the hoopla, the entourages, the bloodshed, the ghost of Big Dust looming overhead, and just that fucking ATMOSPHERE it all created.

This show overall was just a blast from beginning to end. The presentation enhanced everything. It felt special. It seemed like a celebration in the moment. Yeah. It had some faults & flaws, but fuck that noise. This was fun.

Big bonus points for them getting what may be my absolute favorite compilation of announcers in the business today. Excalibur is kingly on commentary, as always. It's a shame nobody gives him as much love as he deserves in that role. Callis has been so, so enjoyable since taking hold of Impact too. He really puts over the risk and danger of specific, key moves and spots. Oh. And Ian is essentially the Mauro of ROH - that being if Mauro didn't have the habit of dropping in as many buzzwords and rap lyrics as humanly possible into his call for every fucking match ever.

But yeah. I really dug this, and that surprised the shit out of me. I mean, I'm an avid PWG fan. But this wasn't something I had any expectations for, but it definitely delivered in my book.