Pro Wrestling Only

Random Newsletter Stuff

DeanColes1987

Random stuff from various newsletters that catches my eye, non Observer or Torch stuff is all up to download at

http://www.prowrestlinghistory.com/downloads.html

"Verne is trying to get his wrestlers to sign a contract. In the letter with the contract, Verne has told the wrestlers not to show the contract to a lawyer." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 12

"Although Morton-Gibson are great babyfaces and the Andersons are great heels, I don't like the chemistry of matching them up. For one, bouts are guaranteed to be bad because of style conflicts (actually anyone vs Andersons is bound to be bad). Midnight Express, the best tag team in the world, continues to be buried." - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"Any Big Bear Collie match is bad enough, but I'd like to know the true thoughts of Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross when they had to watch this one FOUR times on NWA Main Event." - Matwatch 88 Annual

"Zane Bresloff, a Denver rock promoter has taken over as the local promoter throughout the Midwest." - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"Fans are used to these massively muscular steroid freaks and Ric the Stick's abs alone aren't going to get him over." - Aug 24, 87 Observer

"The Road Warriors are being pursued by the WWF but are expected to go to Memphis full time." - Jan 84 Wrestling: King of Sports

"Andre The Giant's movie he filmed last fall in England will be coming out shortly. Andre is the sixth lead in the flick called the Prince's something or other." - Sept 21, 87 Observer

"Iron Mike Sharpe was fired at the Hamilton, Ontario TV taping when he refused to lose to Tonga Kid." - Dec 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"Since Mid-South would do big business themselves vs. the local closed circuit, McMahon asked Watts if they could put on shows with Watts' undercard and Vince's tag main event (and so we can all make $$$). The Mid-South people told Vince to go screw himself." - Feb 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Baby Doll was going to jump to the WWF and feud with Wendi Richter but has decided to stay." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 09

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sunshine keeps ripping her clothes each week in fights with Missy. Someone should tell her about the Grapefruit 45 plan." - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"If anyone has any memorabilia on Vladimir Petrov (videotape or photos) let me know" - Oct 12, 87 Observer

"Cruise was subjected to comments in front of other wrestlers like this from Kevin Sullivan: 'We're gonna do this tonight. Chris be sure and tell Meltzer about this one.' " - Matwatch 90 Annual

"It won't happen soon, but I bet it will happen someday -- Nikita Koloff to turn babyface. The reason is Nikita's shirts sell better than almost everyone else on the Crockett circuit, which tells you something, but I'm not exactly sure what" - Sept 15, 86 Observer

"Ole conducted interviews with fans who said WWF, Hogan and Andre all stink and Georgia is the greatest" - May 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"Flair, Magnum, Landel, Eaton and Cornette are among those that have bought expensive sports cars since Thanksgiving" - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"The nWo aren't really heels at all. They said they'd beat everyone up and they did. They said they'd surprise everybody and they did. They said they'd outsmart everyone and they have. They said they'd take over and they have." - Oct 5, 96 Torch

"In answer to an inquiry, Bob Armstrong is a terrible wrestler now. Brad is tremendous, Scott is a joke and Steve is really green and can't do much but is a hard worker and has potential." - Dec 9, 85 Observer

"Gordon Solie remains as a co-host with Lance Russell on the TV show much to the dismay of many fans. Dave Brown, Russell's sidekick, is relegated to doing ring announcing. I've heard there was a petition started at the arenas trying to get Gordon dumped" - Jan 85 Wrestling: King of Sports

"I'm skipping Southwest this month; the inspiration just isn't there this month for me to do it, sorry." - Dec 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"WWF has hired Terry Garvin as an assistant booker. Garvin and Pat Patterson, one of the WWF road managers, are old buddies if you get my drift, if you don't, you don't want to" - Sept 19, 85 Observer

"The WWF brought their brand of boring, shitty wrestling back to Columbus, Ohio on 10-26 at the Ohio Center and some 3500 folks were duped into paying for it. I was one of the gullible ones who layed out the currency for this mess." - Oct 85 International Wrestling News

"Terry Gordy has been banned from Northwest Orient Airlines. Gordy acted like the Freebirds tend to do when they get rowdy and mix with the general public. There was no fighting involved, but he gave some of the people on the plane a hard time. He found out he couldn't book a flight on the airline, so instead booked another one using the name Curt Hennig. Needless to say Curt Hennig is now barred from Northwest Orient Airlines" Oct 16, 85 Observer

"They even resort to a very average looking girl in shorts as a referee, plus another of those valet feuds with the Midnight Cowgirl and Fantasy, the trampy heel who gives good interviews. - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"John Valiant has potential but he's stuck with the talentless Brutus Buttplug" - Feb 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"On 11-29 the WWF was to debut in Oklahoma City but that night also in Oklahoma City, Bill Watts offered a free wrestling show to everyone in an effort to combat the WWF" - Dec 84 Wrestling: King of Sports

"Buddha Khan got in the ring and waited there 10 minutes as officials tried to get an opponent to quit partying and come in. Finally something started playing on the loud speaker. I'm sure it was music but I have no idea what song. Anyway, Sam Anoai came out and destroyed Buddha in about 90 seconds with a diving-headbutt, and without blinking, rushed back to the dressing room" - Dec 30, 85 Observer

"Rick Rood showed up in Dallas on 1-6 for the purpose of studying Jim Garvin and imitating him in Memphis." -  Mat Results 1985 Yearbook

"Between bites of prime rib, Eddie related emotional hurt which has built over the last ten months" - June 26, 90 Matwatch

"Steve Beverly headlined with a feature article in Matwatch during the time that Eddie was trying to get out of his NWA contract that was so sympathetic that I wondered whether the two were related" - Nov 29, 90 Torch

All quotes taken from the Observer Who's Who in Wrestling, 1986

"Most European countries have wrestling, however the only place it draws decent crowds are West Germany and Austria."

"Casey looks like the marlboro man in TV ads, has been married more times than perhaps any active wrestler"

"Garvin is an adequate worker who needs an opponent who takes lots of bumps to be effective"

"Graham is scheduled to return to the WWF to challenge Hogan, and later turn babyface and be Hogan's partner during the fall of 1986"

"Hogan earned about $5,000 per week in the AWA, peanuts considering he was worth anywhere from 3,000 to 8,000 fans per show on his own"

"Because of Houston's lack of weight, many of the larger wrestlers don't like to lose to him"

"Inoki missed several months of action due to a concussion in a match against Hulk Hogan, which he nearly died from"

"Race looks old and fat and todays fans want to see youthful steroid-bodies"

"Reed was sent to Georgia -- Some say because Florida booker Dusty Rhodes was jealous the blacks were cheering for someone else. Had a tour of the AWA which was a disaster confirming the 'word' that a black wrestler would never work for Verne Gagne"

"Rude's musculature is simply too ordinary to be put over on a major circuit since he lacks talent"

"MARK MADDEN: 'When Dusty Rhodes was covered with the brown stuff in his infamous WWF plumber's skit, it was the closest to truth in packaging that the WWF has ever come. He's fat and getting fatter. His WWF defection shows that not only has he no wrestling ability, but his integrity is in short supply as well.' " - 1989 Observer Yearbook

"They said Billy Jack beat up Kimala so bad he was severely injured, showing a tape from Houston without the ending. Kimala actually won that bout with a clean pin." - June 23, 85 Observer

"Next came our 10 minute intermission. The only problem was it lasted 26:00. I went down by the wings to complain to Strongbow in person, and heard him say they would have to 'stall a little more for it to be over at 10:30.' " - June 85 International Wrestling News

"Originally the 7/6 outdoor show in Charlotte was to have Flair vs. Landel and Koloffs vs. Roadies but they felt Landel wasn't over enough." - June 23, 85 Observer

"Billy Jack is undefeated in Florida, they claim he's an Indian, and that he beat then NWA champ Harley Race before 43,000 fans at the Seattle Kingdom. This caused Race to be an easy victim in Greensboro turkey day to Flair." - Mat Results Vol 2 No 8

"STEVE PRAZAK: 'I don't think Vince McMahon could do for Continental what Eddie Gilbert did.' " - 1988 Observer Yearbook

"Bill Watts only wants to use young wrestlers now so don't call Vince signing Junkyard Dog a theft. Watts just didn't want him anymore." - Mat Results Vol 3 No 2

"Vince had been against JYD's dancing until JYD informed him that if you're against that you're against me." - Eastern Wrestling News Nov 84

"Flair vs. Rhodes didn't take place because both men thought the money would be low (typical lazy Dusty attitude, too lazy to take a chance and make something happen for the Georgia group)." - Eastern Wrestling News Nov 84

"MARK MADDEN: 'Virgil Riley Runnels represents everything I hate about pro wrestling --egocentric booking, cronyism (push of J.J. as top manager), self-proclaimed legends; and fat guys who can't wrestle a lick. Pretty soon we can add nepotism to that list.' " - 1988 Observer Yearbook

Keep them coming DeanColes, these are fun to read. Some comments on some of my favorites form this last batch you posted.

"STEVE PRAZAK: 'I don't think Vince McMahon could do for Continental what Eddie Gilbert did.' " - 1988 Observer Yearbook

• Love Eddie Gilbert, this statement I find to be both true and a bit exaggerated since Gilbert would tend to shape the narrative on how his Continental run was reported and presented by the sheets. Lesson to trust but verify when looking back at these since you always have to consider the source for the reporting. Sources tend to be presented as usually faultless or in a good light.

"Bill Watts only wants to use young wrestlers now so don't call Vince signing Junkyard Dog a theft. Watts just didn't want him anymore." - Mat Results Vol 3 No 2

• Sure Watts didn't want him anymore. ;) It's not like he didn't spend the rest of his time as booker or man in charge trying to recreate the JYD dynamic.

""Vince had been against JYD's dancing until JYD informed him that if you're against that you're against me." - Eastern Wrestling News Nov 84

• You tell him JYD.

"Flair vs. Rhodes didn't take place because both men thought the money would be low (typical lazy Dusty attitude, too lazy to take a chance and make something happen for the Georgia group)." Eastern Wrestling News Nov 84

• I love how it states that both men thought the money would be low and then it's Dusty that gets completely trashed for this happening. Teflon Flair indeed.

"Hogan actually wore Konnan–like pants, a flannel shirt, and a stocking cap. Simply put, he looked like a complete jackass going through a mid–life crisis." - Jan 16, 99 Torch

"Speaking of horrible, the climax of the Dusty Rhodes feud with Adrian Street took place on 7/2 in Key West, which doubles as this country's #2 capital of homosexuality (please don't ask what is #1 to save me having to run down my home area). The only way to win the match was to put your opponent into a dress. - Aug 83 Observer

"MARK MADDEN: 'Lance Russell bores me at times, he's almost too realistic and calls it like he would call a baseball game.' - 1988 Observer Yearbook

"Before hand, Konnan grabbed the mic and told Horace, 'French, Creamy Italian, Ranch… those are the dressings, pick one. Because tonight, you’re gonna bow down and toss my salad.' " - Jan 9, 99 Torch

"One person who has arrived in the WWF is Iron Sheik, complete with his flag with Ayatollah's picture. It's too bad Ivan Koloff doesn't go prancing around with a flag with a falling jet." - Oct 83 Observer

"Patterson and Konnan should shop for belts together. Hey, after they’re done shopping, maybe Patterson would take Konnan up on his salad and potato offer, too." - Jan 23, 99 Torch

"Sunshine, Jimmy Garvin's extremely attractive valet (I'll try and dig up a photo of her for next month), got involved in a dressing room brawl with referee Nick Roberts' wife in 7/15 in Abilene which resulted in a torn-up arena and a show which had to be stopped with two main events left to be wrestled." - Aug 83 Observer

"Kevin Nash appeared on Mark Madden’s Pittsburgh, Pa. radio show last week. Nash said Sting has a severe yeast infection and that’s why he’s out of action." - Jan 16, 99 Torch

"A few weeks back Southwest went into the heart of Von Erich country--Dallas, across the street from the Sportatorium. The paid attendance for that debacle was 31. The TV promos for that Thursday night card didn't appear until the following Saturday." - Sept 83 Observer

"Would you believe Slaughter loses in a cage match, by countout. He was actually counted out the ropes, because of the space between ropes/cage." Mat Results Vol 03 No 12

"On the 9-15 Chicago card, during the Rheingans-Hennig match, the fans only applauded each time the timekeeper announced the minutes left." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 03

"Another group of newcomers are Pez Whatley, replacing Tony Atlas as the token -- and a thoroughly obnoxious wrestler. Nevertheless, nobody can be as bad as Garvin." - July 83 Observer

"Eric Bischoff has made a big deal out of Nitro being a family-friendly program. In the first 15 minutes this week, you had Ric Flair bashing in the side window of a limousine with a tire iron, Flair vowing to literally kill Hulk Hogan, the use of the word 'ass' several times, 'son of a bitch,' and a reference to 'shaving an ass.' " - Jan 23, 99 Torch

"Road Warriors weren't booked in Kansas City the night they didn't show. Just call it false advertising." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 04

"Tully Blanchard will contain to remain in this area as nobody else will take him." - Sept 83 Observer

"Buzz Sawyer was fired by Ole because while Buzz was in charge of things on a northern tour, he and Brett won the tag titles from the Road Warriors, something Ole didn't want to happen." - Mat Results 1985 Yearbook

"You know I could see myself as a WWF fan but not with such an asshole running the group." - May 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"3-16 Ridgewood Groves, Queens, N.Y. drew 1600 in a 3000 seat arena, the buildings owner, Nancy Siocca, told the announcer to plug the Wrestlemania closed circuit telecast for her building during this card. When they did promoter Gary Juster went off the deep end and started tearing up Wrestlemania posters displayed in the arena, and was heard to scream 'Her and this building can go fuck themselves.' The building won't be used for Pro Wrestling USA cards anymore." - Mar 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Dallas Page wants WCW to hire Erik Watts and wants Hammer to get a push. His contract reportedly is for $1.5 million, not the previously “leaked” figure of $900,000. The lower figure was leaked so Page could avoid charges of favoritism." - Jan 23 99, Torch

"In St. Louis on 5/11, the third meeting of Chirs Adams and Jim Garvin was scheduled with the stipulations that if Adams won then Sunshine would get 5 minutes with Precious. No announcement was made until after word had gotten around that Sunshine wasn't in St. Louis. A riot occurred and fans tore the power lines out for the microphone and the announcements for the main event had to be made by police bullhorn." - Mat Results 85 Yearbook

• DeanColes1987 changed the title to Random Newsletter Stuff
On 9/7/2018 at 7:55 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

"One person who has arrived in the WWF is Iron Sheik, complete with his flag with Ayatollah's picture. It's too bad Ivan Koloff doesn't go prancing around with a flag with a falling jet." - Oct 83 Observer

Jesus, that's brutal even for 80s Dave.  If you aren't aware the jet reference was about this plane getting shot down a month prior, killing a US congressman and being one of the biggest escalations during the Cold War. 

"Piper was arrested for drunk driving in Covington, KY recently. The best part is that Snuka-Tonga Kid had to bail the Rowdy one out." - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"On 2/19 afer the Fresno matches police got word of a disturbance at the Old Fresno Hofbrau. Piper, Orton and Muraco ran off as soon as the police got there. Piper had decked someone at the restaurant. The cops chased their rented car in a 100 mph race and Piper and co. crashed. They then fled on foot and lost the police. Police later got word that night of a disturbance in the Holiday Inn and when they got there they found Orton on the roof nude and Piper in the lobby causing a similar ruckus. They shot Orton twice with a stun gun which had no effect since he was drunk. The police finally calmed the two down and arrested them and they spent a night in jail." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 07

"Before the Aloha Stadium card, Lars Anderson and Jim Crockett had words. The argument got so heated that Lars threw a coke into Jim's face and backed him up against the wall. Jim told his wrestlers to pack and leave before the show started. Bruiser Brody shouted for Lars to deck Crockett. No blows came about and the show went on." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"AWA first took Slaughter, then has planned cards in New York, and publicized both moves in a press conference. These moves served to piss off Vince, so watch out." - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Vince paid off the New Jersey State Athletic Commission, it's rumored, to hastle the PWUSA Meadowlands card on 2-24. The wrestlers had to obey commission by-laws (like the 45 year old limit, which Dory and Race were challenged on and had to produce documents. Also, Blackwell wasn't allowed to compete because his blood pressure was too high)." - Mar 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"STEVE BEVERLY: 'David Crockett is the basal cell carcinoma of professional wrestling." - 1988 Observer Yearbook

"Gino Hernandez is supposed to come in. With Tully Blanchard and Baby Doll actually getting married, I wonder how Gino will be involved with Crockett." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"Sam Houston and Baby Doll are engaged which means that her and Tully obviously weren't married last year." - Jan 86 International Wrestling News

"Vince McMahon told the crowd regarding the Kane vs. Rock match, 'Don‘t get your hopes up, nothing’s going to happen.' WCW should play that before every Nitro main event." - Jan 23, 99 Torch

"Road Warriors no showed the 9/9 tapings, Verne waited and waited for them to show up and tried to hold things up making the taping last 4 hours. They could wait no longer so when Garvin and Regal came in (with 'Would I lie To You' playing) they announced the Road Warriors flight was cancelled and sent out Greg Gagne and Curt Hennig instead." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"Martel beat Garvin on DQ when Precious handed Jim a foreign object. When she interfered in the match, a fan came out of the crowd, walked right up to her, and used a broken glass bottle to cut her face (right near her eye). Luckily she didn't lose that eye, but a scar will no doubt result." - Feb 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"In my world of wrestling
 I felt there was a void
 But then I saw Lance Russell
 And thus became a Memphoid"

Mat Results Vol 04 No 03

I've heard that Orton Holiday Inn story before.  I think even Bob has confirmed it.  The Baby Doll/Wendi Richter bit is awesome, I had no idea.  Also, holy shit at that Ivan Koloff/Iron Sheik flag joke.  I know 1980s Dave was a lot snarkier and a lot more of an asshole but god damn.  Also that "I went down to complain to Strongbow in person" thing reads like the fakest "and the entire bus clapped" nonsense.  I love the shit that would get published in these newsletters.  :D

Also cracking up at Steve Beverly because I completely forgot about him.  After getting out of the pro wrestling community, he tried to become a game show insider (a game show Dave Meltzer) with his own online insider newsletter, and he even did long Meltzer-like obits for game show hosts, announcers, and producers who had passed away.  The newsletter and site are long gone.  I remember him being so oddly full of himself over the most random stuff and most people in the community didn't like him that much for that reason.  I guess it paid off though because he has been used as a talking head on Game Show Network documentaries.

Please keep doing these, I had a blast reading this entire thread!!  :)

On 9/4/2018 at 8:32 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

"Terry Gordy has been banned from Northwest Orient Airlines. Gordy acted like the Freebirds tend to do when they get rowdy and mix with the general public. There was no fighting involved, but he gave some of the people on the plane a hard time. He found he couldn't book a flight on the airline, so instead booked another one using the name Curt Hennig. Needless to say Curt Hennig is now barred from Northwest Orient Airlines" Oct 16, 85 Observer

BAHAHAHAHA!

On 9/5/2018 at 7:04 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

All quotes taken from the Observer Who's Who in Wrestling, 1986

"Most European countries have wrestling, however the only place it draws decent crowds are West Germany and Austria.""

That was true in 1986, wasn't it?

"Inoki missed several months of action due to a concussion in a match against Hulk Hogan, which he nearly died from"

An anonymous source told the Observer, "Inoki almost died, brother! There were 200, 000 fans in the Tokyo Dome and they broke the ring! Then I wrestled David Von Erich in Texas Stadium later that night.  International dateline, dude!"

"Rude's musculature is simply too ordinary to be put over on a major circuit since he lacks talent"

Pfft. Sounds like something a fat, out-of-shape, San Bernadino sweat hog would say.

"Flight 191 Delta that crashed in the first part of August. Bobby Heenan was scheduled to be on that flight but missed it by three minutes." - Aug 85 Global Wrestling News Service

"Toshiaki Kawada is currently wrestling for Texas All-Star." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 04

"Tom Zenk, originally scheduled to debut as a space-oriented character with kid appeal, had an outfit designed by TBS which Flair rejected. So at Clash VIII, Z-Man was strictly Tom Zenk in his classic white trunks with his 'Batman' theme music the only unusual aspect of his arrival." - 1989 Matchwatch Annual

"At the taping in Phoenix where the Hogan-Bundy angle happened they announced that the doctor couldn't get a pulse on Hogan which caused the crowd to go into hysterics. The announcement was edited out of the tape that aired, but not the fan's reactions." - Feb-Mar 86 International Wrestling News

"100 people showed up in Marietta when WTBS ran an old promo by mistake." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 04

"Paul Roma, who supposedly had been bragging about big money WWF offers coming his way, was given the chance to accept one of those offers by being fired." - March 25, 95 Torch

"Nick Kiniski tried to shoot on Toshiaki Kawada to teach him a lesson but almost found himself being the pupil." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 04

"One episode of Learning The Ropes had 'special guest star' Trent Knight." - 1989 Matchwatch Annual

"Only in Memphis would Dundee be allowed to beat Rhodes. This was a one fall Texas Death Match. They used the first man to stand up finish as Tommy Young had counted both men out. Dundee grabbed Young's legs as Dusty made it to his feet, Barbarian got up on the apron and headbutted Rhodes. With Rhodes down, Dundee got up and was declared the winner." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 06

"On the 4-6 AWA TV show they announced that 'Prince may sing the national anthem.' " - Feb-Mar 86 International Wrestling News

"Billy Jack did an interview to introduce his cousin Brady Boone but he couldn't remember his name. Billy tried to cover up by saying he'd hadn't seen him in 10 years, never mind the fact that both were in Crockett a few months ago." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 05

"Lawler put on a free outdoors show the night of the Memphis Bash which hurt Crockett bad. Lawler also had a free afternoon show which was all done in association with a special day Memphis was having. Crockett did allow people in free 2/3 into the show which I'm sure thrilled the 1000 people who had paid. Dusty Rhodes grabbed the mic and told the people to tell Jerry Lawler they would be back to kick ass. I guess signing Dutch Mantell, Bill Dundee and Buddy Landel is one of their paybacks." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 12

"Verne Gagne has been suspended by Stanley Blackburn. No that doesn't mean he's jumped to Titan." - Sept 8, 88 Torch

"Dillon says Dusty will never get another shot at the National title. If that's true Dusty only has another 8 titles to go after." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 08

"Barely tipping the scales at 218 pounds, Funk pitched entering the NWA as a junior heavyweight champion, a division which had floundered in the years Jim Crockett controlled the alliance's name." - 1989 Matchwatch Annual

"The other group in Japan is the current foreigners in town, Dick Murdoch, Adrian Adonis, Abdullah the Butcher, Pete Roberts (from England and quite good), David Finley (from England and not-so-good), and Brian Blair." - Aug 83 Observer

"Lawler won the 11-27 Mink Coat battle royal and gave it back to promoters to sell and in turn drop ticket prices to $3.00 for Dec." - Dec 84 Eastern Wrestling News

"I'm sorry to announce this but the world and Kansas City were deprived of the Bob Brown-Uncle Elmer match on 6/5 when Elmer no showed." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 11

"KELLER: Bruiser Brody.... VERNE: Probably got what he asked for." - Aug 24, 89 Torch

"Ole Anderson's stint as WCW booker began with the 48 year old veteran telling his troops in a Georgia dressing room: 'Gentlemen, the calendar may say 1990 but I'm here to tell you, it's 1974 all over again and what worked then will work now.' " - 1990 Matchwatch Annual

"Savage got into some hot water with WWF brass at MSG because his bout with Rick McGraw lasted 15:00. It was supposed to go only 4:00 and threw the entire time schedule of the evening off." - June 85 International Wrestling News

"Shaska Whatley and Ron Simmons continue to feud. Shaska has been showing everyone a newspaper article of where Ron had been arrested and is telling people to be careful of Ron because he would steal from them." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 06

Oh man those newspaper clipping scans are awesome. :D  That's the kind of stuff I wish there was an archive of in general.

17 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"Savage got into some hot water with WWF brass at MSG because his bout with Rick McGraw lasted 15:00. It was supposed to go only 4:00 and threw the entire time schedule of the evening off." - June 85 International Wrestling News

That's weird because it was typically WWF's M.O. at the time to let the new guy work a decently lengthy match with a prelim worker to show off his arsenal.  Even Bundy's MSG matches after his first two were a TV feature match-length match with Swede Hanson and then almost seven minutes with Tony Garea.  And even for the first two, considering his entire appeal was squashing guys in a few minutes...

"The catfight cage match saw Sue Greene blade herself once again but come back to strip Evelyn Stevens down to a two-piece bathing suit. She had most of her clothes torn as well, good family entertainment." - Sept 30, 84 Observer

"For five consecutive weeks Beauty and the Beast attacked Adrian Street's wife, Linda. Booker Robert Fuller endlessly repeated the angles, stopping short of a planned setup of Linda 'becoming pregnant' and 'losing the baby' at six months after an attack by the Stud Stable. Fortunately, the angle was vetoed." - 89 Matchwatch Annual

"Kobashi nips Michaels for Wrestler of the year" - Jan 12, 97 Observer

"Tully and Joe Blanchard got a rumor going around before the Kerry-Flair Texas Stadium match that the Von Erichs were going to steal the title belt in order to prevent Kerry from being able to win (Kerry would win and go to the WWF was their rumor.)" - Mat Results Vol 3 No 02

"Southwest lost their San Antonio TV outlet to Fritz who passed it on to Watts." - Mat Results 03 Vol 02

"Reed bitched about losing to Nord all the way back to the dressing room. Once in the dressing room, Reed told Nord in no uncertain terms that he 'was the worst person he had ever wrestled'. Nord proceeded to beat the shit out of Reed and give him 2 black eyes." - May 85 International Wrestling News

"Shinma's poster for his first series had photos of Hogan, Andre, Backlund, Inoki, Sayama with a note added that 'these wrestlers have possibilities of making an appearance on the UWF mat.' " - May 84 Observer

"AWA drew 1000 in Indianapolis for a lousy card and to top it off they announced the wrong arena for 3 weeks and the arena they announced was the one the WWF was running the same week, WWF drew 8000." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 03

"We can thank Crockett for the cancellation of Mid-South Wrestling from WTBS. The last straw for Crockett was when Watts showed Buddy Landel losing three straight weeks, after Buddy walked out of Mid-South for Crockett." - May 85 International Wrestling News

"This past week ESPN aired old USWA tapes from Dallas from a few years back every day but Friday, when a GWF show taped two weeks earlier aired. From what I've heard, the picture quality was subpar and the crowd audio was dead and the show was filled with mistakes, the funniest of which was a graphic announcing, 'Coming up next: CALVIN KNAPP vs. JOBBER.' " - May 17, 93 Observer

"6/29 Los Angeles has Flair vs. Magnum. The original opponents for Flair were Kerry Von Erich (which couldn't happen), Sgt. Slaughter (called it off himself), Magnum (changed because they wanted him in another match), Harley Race (called off because they felt he was too old), Arn Anderson (cousins, remember) and now back to Magnum." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 11

"After all those terrible gates the past few weeks with the stripper cage matches (catfight cage matches they're called) between Sue Greene and Evelyn Stevens, Southwest has figured out the problem. You see Sue isn't, how do we say it, voluptuous enough so therefore nobody came out to see the match. Apparently this new foe for Evelyn has more to offer." - Sept 30, 84 Observer