Pro Wrestling Only

Random Newsletter Stuff

DeanColes1987

The Traci Lords letters

"John Carella of 36 Tardy Ln., Wantagh, NY 11793 is looking for a regular supplier of FMW, NewJapan, All Japan and WWC tapes and has Smoky Mountain tapes for trade. He's also looking to hear from fans of Traci Lords, Kiss and horror movies." - Feb 22, 93 Observer

"John Brooks of 5947 Terrace Dr., House Springs, MO 63051 is looking to buy pre-8/91 Observers and yearbooks and Traci Lords videos." - Apr 26, 93 Observer

"Louis Wolfson of 2727 Ocean Pkwy, Brooklyn, NY 11235 is looking for current Japan tapes and 70s U.S. tapes and has custom tapes to trade as well has hockey fight tapes and Traci Lords videos" - June 21, 93 Observer

"Eric Rivard of 52302 Washington, New Baltimore, MI 48047 is looking for Traci Lords videos and the 5/3 Fukuoka Dome." - July 5, 93 Observer

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to add my two cents about the Race vs Brody stuff. While it's clear Brody was the source for most if not all of it, it seems like there was someone in the AWA who was looking to bury him too by constantly implying he was too chickenshit to show up at their shows.  Everything I've ever heard/read about Harley seems to indicate that he would never shy away from a fight, even if it's one he might not have much success in. Plus I've never heard anyone say Brody was any kind of feared shooter either.  The only way I could see it going down anywhere close to how it was written would be if Harley just didn't want to deal with the bullshit and stayed away.

"Dusty Rhodes beat Lex Lugar (on his robe it's spelled Lugar and I figure he knows best)" - Sept 7, 87 Observer

"Superstar Billy Graham and George Steele both won't be wrestling for a while in the New York State because they failed to pass the athletic commission's physical." - Sept 21, 87 Observer

"Wendi Richter lost her title to Leilani Kai on the 2/18 MSG card. I guess it should be expected since Leilani and Vince are involved with one another and I do mean involved." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 08

"On 5/30 at a Titan card at the St. Paul Civic Center, after a match between the Hart Foundation and the British Bulldogs, the Midnight Rockers shocked the sparse crowd by coming out after the match and challenging the Foundation to a title match." - June 8, 87 Observer

"Blackwell beat Brody on COR. Brody apparently got mad of Jerry screwing with the match's finish or something and decided to leave. Perhaps Verne wanted Jerry to pin Brody and this was his way of saying a loud no! The fans chanted 'Bullshit' loudly and in unison, showing their contempt." - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Thunderbolt Patterson quit because he wasn't happy with opening matches, David Crockett said he picked up his check but left his booking sheet. Tbolt has a shoe store with the money from the Crockett lawsuit settlement." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"Lots of people cut Crockett down for taping in the studio, however Ted Turner wants it that way and having the two hours in the studio on Saturday is a whole lot more beneficial than not being on WTBS at all." - Sept 21, 87 Observer

"Brody left because of incompetence in his opponents (namely Blackwell) screwing up endings and because Verne didn't want to pay the top dollar Brody commands, already having to pay Superstar, Slaughter & Warriors." - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Buddy Landel is the new manager of the Headhunters. He won them in a card game from Kevin Sullivan." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 04

"2-1 St. Paul Coliseum will be a TV taping for Pro Wrestling USA to be done in two sessions (afternoon and evening). Each session will cost $7.00 for 2 one hour shows. How's that for clipping the fans. This comes from the man who's getting rid of Brody (his best draw) as a cost cutting measure. It's funny how obvious Gagne's greed is isn't it? " - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Dusty Rhodes pinned Lex Luger (his robe now spells the last name Luger and I figure if anyone knows how to spell it, it's him)" - Dec 7, 87 Observer

"Jesse Ventura was flown in to Atlanta last week just to dub commentary over one match - Bossman vs. Rude - then was sent home" - Dec 25, 93 Torch

"Billy Graham and George Steele have been reinstated as far as wrestling in the New York state is concerned. Apparently the pressure was put on and since the bulk of tax money received for running the New York State Athletic Commission comes from Titan (and more specifically, Titan shows at Madison Square Garden), the commission backed down." - Oct 5, 87 Observer

"Brody's first week in Memphis drew a $12,000 gate, second week a $22,000 gate and the 3rd week a $16,000 gate which means the crowds averaged between 3,000 and 5,500 instead of the sellouts I reported." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 11

"Here is the actual story about the firing of the Midnight Rockers. Apparently the head honchos gave a speech about what happened to Jim Duggan and the Iron Sheik and warned the guys that this sort of thing wasn't going to be tolerated. After the show in Rochester, the Rockers were behaving in public as if this sort of policy didn't apply to them and it did." - July 6, 87 Observer

"The small crowd broke out laughing when Sam Houston was announced at 220 lbs." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 03

"Luger tried to get him up for the backbreaker and it didn't work out. Even though they pretend Dusty weighs 270 and Lex 277 it looked like an ant trying to carry a watermelon." - Dec 7, 87 Observer

How the Arn-Sid deal was covered

"The first stages of trouble started when Vicious started bragging about how he just held the company up for a major contract raise (reportedly up to $600,000 per year) to agree to do the job for Sting at the Halloween Havoc PPV show a few days earlier. Both men had been drinking and Vicious was apparently ribbing Anderson over the fact that he had just received a $100,000 per year raise, while Anderson had received a $100,000 pay cut (under Bill Watts, Anderson's 1992 contract of $250,000 per year was cut to a 1993 deal of $750 per night deal which should result in roughly a $100,000 pay cut)." - Nov 8, 93 Observer

"According to friends who spoke with Anderson, Sid tried to break into his hotel room. When Anderson opened the door, Sid charged him with part of a chair from his hotel room. During the fight, scissors got involved. The fight ensued until Too Cold Scorpio entered the room. At this point, Sid was standing over Anderson with scissors in his hand, but quickly fled" - Nov 6, 93 Torch

"The version attributed to Anderson is that someone tried to kick down his door and the kicks were so powerful the door was practically coming off its hinges. As he looked through the peep hole, he saw nothing and the kicks stopped. He opened the door and nobody was there. As he stuck his head out the door, he was blindsided with a baseball bat swing like blow from the weapon and knocked out." - Nov 8, 93 Observer

"The other version was that Vicious asked Anderson to talk things out because they had a long tour ahead of them, and Anderson responded he was going to cut him up and chased him with scissors and Vicious was defending himself with the chair shot.  At this point Vicious allegedly jumped on him and the two started brawling. Anderson reportedly told friends that the first blow with the weapon knocked him out for a few minutes and when he started regaining his senses, Vicious was on top of him beating his face into oblivion. Somehow Anderson got loose and grabbed a pair of scissors with a dull tip rather than a spike-like tip and stabbed Vicious in the stomach with them, opening him up. At this point Vicious retreated and went into the hall, where Anderson jumped on him again. Vicious was stabbed with the scissors at least three more times, with most reports saying they were in the stomach but those close to Vicious saying two shots were in the face and one in the hand." - Nov 8, 93 Observer

"WCW p.r. head Mike Weber, who was on tour in England, tried to use the fight as a means of hyping pro wrestling as real, with his quote in the London Sun saying, 'It just shows that what you see in the ring is what you see in real life. These two haven't fought each other for several years and obviously don't get along. I don't know what the disagreement was about.' " - Nov 8, 93 Observer

"Even if steroids are not applicable to this story and none of the items regarding walking out on tests are true, there is still no way WCW can justify Sid Eudy remaining part of the company" - Nov 8 ,93 Observer

"Imagine, Stupid Sid on trial, in a foreign land yet. A bag search: he's carrying something, if not everything. Sent to the clink, U.K. style. He couldn't get a clean-cut decision over Brian Pillman with a squeegee or a sleeping Arn Anderson with a chair and scissors. How do you think he'd do against a half-dozen lifers looking for a little romance?.... An aside: How tough is Arn Anderson? I mean, blind-sided by a huge guy, stabbed 20 times, and still tough enough to mount a comeback and put Sid in the hospital, too. It's nice to see one member of the fictional Anderson family has a little gumption.... Fire Stupid Sid Vicious. Twenty stab wounds and slash marks across the throat are enough evidence for me. I'm no chemist and I'm certainly no detective—but that sounds pretty much like the trail of slime left by a steroid-driven homocidal maniac.... Since TBS's official policy is that its wrestlers will be tested for steroids and that those flunking will be suspended or released, and since Stupid Sid Vicious has not, to my knowledge, ever actually been tested or since the results were apparently ignored if he was, and since his attack on Arn Anderson could easily be perceived as possible 'roid rage, I believe that Arn Anderson could easily hold TBS responsible for Stupid Sid's attack and have a helluva chance to win a lawsuit. It would beat working for a living, Arn, and it would especially beat working for a bunch of idiots who haven't done right by you in years. By the way, this columnist's thoughts go out to Arn Anderson and his family. Arn is a true professional in a sport that knows very few these days. The report that Arn was in danger of losing an eye was, thankfully, false, although no long-term report regarding his health has been released yet." - Nov 6, 93 Torch, Mark Madden Column

"WCW officials were saying in the office on Thursday that both Anderson and Vicious were going to be fired over the incident. Upon further review, Anderson will probably remain with the company. The question remains what kind of action will be taken concerning Vicious, who according to all reports out of England, was the initiator of the fight. Vicious told one person over the weekend Anderson initiated the fight." - Nov 6, 93 Torch

"The wrestling community thinks the world of Arn Anderson and for years has felt disdain toward the way Eudy conducted himself, especially given his lack of in-ring skills and lack of proven drawing ability at arenas or on television" - Nov 6, 93 Torch

"In a perfect world, Vicious would be unable to find work in the wrestling industry. He is not skilled in the ring either on offense of selling, he has a pouty, unreliable, egotistical personality outside of the ring, he is a walking media timebomb, and he puts opponents at risk for serious injury due to his style. Oh, he also puts fans to sleep and (remember this point) he doesn’t sell tickets." - Nov 6, 93 Torch

"While no official disciplinary action has been announced, it is believed by several within the company that Vicious, believed by many to be the instigator of the physical aspect of the incident, will be fired and that Anderson will be retained." - Nov 13, 93 Observer

"Did Anderson receive the benefit of the doubt from those within the industry because he is respected as a good worker and a company man? Is that fair? Sure, Anderson's track record is much better than Vicious', but should Anderson have egged on someone like Vicious, whom he should have known could snap? Should Anderson be fired, too, since as a locker room leader, it's his responsibility to set an example and not get into pissing contests with a younger wrestler whose character is in question." - Nov 13, 93 Torch

"My advice to the WCW wrestlers who want to beat up Stupid Sid? Don’t. Don’t get me wrong. If anyone deserves that kind of treatment, it’s Stupid Sid Vicious. But don’t lower yourselves to Stupid Sid’s level, which is exactly what you’d be doing. Don’t sneak­attack Stupid Sid. Don’t gang up on him. Don’t lower yourself to that sort of cowardice and violent mentality that Stupid Sid Vicious is famous for." - Nov 13, 93 Torch, Mark Madden Column

" 'I feel like we both should have been fired from WCW in a way because of the seriousness of the incident'....'when Arn came out that door I had nothing in my hands and no reason for him to do what he did. So what I did to protect myself, some people might say I went to far'....'Arn now is saying that I beat him up with a chair, and he regained consciousness from it, then stabbed me. That's a little hard to swallow' 'What was true, me and Arn went to the hospital over scissor wounds. They were Arn's scissors and he brought them out of his room' " - 1993 Wrestling Flyer Yearbook, interview with Sid

3 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

'What was true, me and Arn went to the hospital over scissor wounds. They were Arn's scissors and he brought them out of his room' " - 1993 Wrestling Flyer Yearbook, interview with Sid

This is the part I always came back to, yes Sid was an arrogant ass who lots of fans and talent alike didn't like and Arn was the longtime respected worker and had powerful political allies in WCW, but Arn didn't just happen to have those scissors for no reason. Despite how Sid was wrong for clowning on Arn for losing a significant amount of his income while Sid being the less talented and proven draw was getting that much more for his less than admirable efforts, Arn was a veteran and should've known better than to engage in such bullshit and let it escalate to a fight by hitting Sid with a beer bottle first and trying to stab him with another broken beer bottle,which always gets left out of the story. Arn was drunk and the reason he had those scissors was the same reason he grabbed that broken beer bottle earlier, he wanted to hurt Sid and must've thought he wouldn't have gotten the job done empty handed. Also the fact that Arn stabbed Sid first gets left out of the tale a lot as well.

Overall both should've been fired and Arn should be held just as accountable as Sid was when this story gets retold all these years later, Arn wasn't some poor helpless vet standing up for his friend who got blindsided by a roided up young arrogant giant who tried to stab him to death. Arn was a drunk miserable vet who was pissed off and probably jealous that a guy like Sid who had a modicum of the talent he had was getting a raise for the amount he had cut from his deal and had the gall to brag about it and knock his buddy Flair to boot. Arn is the one who initiated the physical fight, Arn is the one who tried to stab Sid with a bottle first, Arn is the one who attacked with the scissors first and Arn ended up on the wrong end of his own weapon and then still has publicly in everything he's commented about the incident still tries to act like he was the victim.

While both men acted deplorably, Sid was railroaded as the bad guy because he wasn't well liked and the dirt sheet fans and writers were all Arn Anderson fans over Sid. 

"On the Jan. 22 Power Hour, Flair defeated Bobby Eaton in a match taped in Orlando. Flair was accompanied by Fifi. Ten minutes later, Gene Okerlund plugged his 900 line saying he would say what he's heard about the disappearance of Fifi" - Jan 29, 94 Torch

"I just wonder if everyone who considered McMahon a bad guy for running shows in other people's territory will now consider Crockett a bad guy. Neither is, or was, at least not for expanding into areas that want your product." - Feb 16, 87 Observer

"Kimala has walked out on Dallas twice, Crockett, WWF, UWF twice and Kansas City." - Aug 86 International Wrestling News

"It was amazing to see the crowd wearing all the NWO t-shirts cheering Piper and universally booing Hogan." - Jan 6, 97 Observer

"Hennig's reputation is so bad that WWF road agents have worried out loud in locker rooms that because of his fast lane lifestyle, he will be a bad influence on 1-2-3 Kid, whom he has taken under his wing on road trips." - Nov 13, 93 Torch

"Since November 1985, the WTBS Saturday show viewership has dropped 35 percent, the decline was most marked starting in June of this past year--or when Dusty went to his plethora of 30 second matches with endless interviews. The funny thing is, crowds at Crockett's live shows are better than ever right now. It appears when you have marketable wrestlers, but let them talk more than wrestle, it seems to be okay at the gate but turns TV viewers off." - Feb 2, 87 Observer

"Jim Powers walked out on World Class without a word and didn't even pick up his paycheck." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"The New Orleans portion of Starrcade drew 1,610, the main event was scheduled to have the Sheepherders defend the UWF tag belts against the New Breed in a cage match, however both Chris Champion and the cage were no-shows. Instead it was a regular match against Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner and the fans who were there were pissed off. They were supposed to have one hour of live matches before Starcade, but these matches were so short they had a 27 minute intermission before Starcade even started." - Dec 7, 87 Observer

"The most talked about moment in the meeting was when Vader raised his hand and said what an honor it was to work for Turner. He then asked Turner for his autograph. The wrestlers couldn't believe it." - Dec 25, 93 Torch

"Even though things appear hot right now for Crockett, unless they do a better job of exchanging and mixing talent, the current staleness will continue. The good crowds aren't a result of hot new angles, but a result of all the new faces coming in live. Now that most core cities will have seen them shortly, they'll have to do stuff with all the new talent to keep fans interested in coming back." - June 15, 87 Observer

"Chris Adams was filming a piece on not drinking when Rick Steiner and Sting attacked him." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 06

"At several points the WWF seemed to be playing games with the 'illegal' (its really not illegal) viewers by unscrambling it for several minutes at a time and also by scrambling it too good during the main event tag match (especially towards the ending)." - Apr 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Even on the UWF shows, they've begun putting in those Rhodes and Flair videos that virtually everyone is tired of." - June 22, 87 Observer

"With the UWF show on 4/12, Crockett booked Omni shows on 3/27 and 4/5 and a Marietta show on 4/12 to burn the market out. At the 4/5 Omni card, the ring announcer kept insisting over and over again that 'there will be no wrestling in Atlanta until May 1 (next Crockett Omni date).' " - Apr 13, 87 Observer

"Andy Kaufman came in for the 11/15 and 11/22 shows. Both shows drew 3,600 which shows this thing is worn out." - 1983 Observer Yearbook

On 9/19/2018 at 11:05 PM, sek69 said:

I just wanted to add my two cents about the Race vs Brody stuff. While it's clear Brody was the source for most if not all of it, it seems like there was someone in the AWA who was looking to bury him too by constantly implying he was too chickenshit to show up at their shows.  Everything I've ever heard/read about Harley seems to indicate that he would never shy away from a fight, even if it's one he might not have much success in. Plus I've never heard anyone say Brody was any kind of feared shooter either.  The only way I could see it going down anywhere close to how it was written would be if Harley just didn't want to deal with the bullshit and stayed away.

I agree with you with regards to that there appears to be someone from AWA with an ax to grind as well. Which goes to the larger point, a lot of times we take what is printed in the newsletters from sources as they are without considering who the source is. The reality is that what we learn or get from the newsletters can sometimes be a skewed retelling due to the source being used which can lead to certain assumptions and narratives that are not entirely on the level. So some people come out better than they should and others come out worse because there is only one side being presented with regards to the facts. And we are all human, so that leads to some distortion or skewing through our particular lens of the world. I also agree that its likely Harley just didn't show so as to not have to deal with the bs.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, SPS said:

This is the part I always came back to, yes Sid was an arrogant ass who lots of fans and talent alike didn't like and Arn was the longtime respected worker and had powerful political allies in WCW, but Arn didn't just happen to have those scissors for no reason. Despite how Sid was wrong for clowning on Arn for losing a significant amount of his income while Sid being the less talented and proven draw was getting that much more for his less than admirable efforts, Arn was a veteran and should've known better than to engage in such bullshit and let it escalate to a fight by hitting Sid with a beer bottle first and trying to stab him with another broken beer bottle,which always gets left out of the story. Arn was drunk and the reason he had those scissors was the same reason he grabbed that broken beer bottle earlier, he wanted to hurt Sid and must've thought he wouldn't have gotten the job done empty handed. Also the fact that Arn stabbed Sid first gets left out of the tale a lot as well.

Overall both should've been fired and Arn should be held just as accountable as Sid was when this story gets retold all these years later, Arn wasn't some poor helpless vet standing up for his friend who got blindsided by a roided up young arrogant giant who tried to stab him to death. Arn was a drunk miserable vet who was pissed off and probably jealous that a guy like Sid who had a modicum of the talent he had was getting a raise for the amount he had cut from his deal and had the gall to brag about it and knock his buddy Flair to boot. Arn is the one who initiated the physical fight, Arn is the one who tried to stab Sid with a bottle first, Arn is the one who attacked with the scissors first and Arn ended up on the wrong end of his own weapon and then still has publicly in everything he's commented about the incident still tries to act like he was the victim.

While both men acted deplorably, Sid was railroaded as the bad guy because he wasn't well liked and the dirt sheet fans and writers were all Arn Anderson fans over Sid. 

I sometimes wonder, since the Arn and Sid incident most resembles it outside of (thankfully) one key difference in the end result, if you don't see a similar dynamic in how things are viewed and reported with regards to Brody and Invader.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:37 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

"Superstar Billy Graham and George Steele both won't be wrestling for a while in the New York State because they failed to pass the athletic commission's physical." - Sept 21, 87 Observer

One of the first huge signs to Steele that something was wrong was failing this physical; he had Crohn's Disease and still didn't know it at this point.  After another poor physical the next Summer is when he decides to finally see a doctor.  Once he learns he has Crohn's he decides to hang it up for good and become an agent.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:37 AM, DeanColes1987 said:

"Wendi Richter lost her title to Leilani Kai on the 2/18 MSG card. I guess it should be expected since Leilani and Vince are involved with one another and I do mean involved." - Mat Results Vol 03 No 08

lmao

"Ron Wright came out with a wrestler called Abdul Hassan. Wright said Hassan came from Bagdad, Iraq and was here to collect the $20,000 bounty he had placed on Tracy Smothers. He said Hassan was Saddam Hussein's nephew and that when he collected the $20,000, he was going to use it to buy instant formula for Iraqi babies because the U.S. military had unjustly destroyed an instant formula factory during the Gulf War and the babies of Iraq had nothing to eat." - June 21, 93 Torch

"Sunshine is still in World Class and is basically dust under the rug meaning you know it's there but don't feel like getting rid of it." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 02

"Mankind, Goldust and Undertaker filmed a sports related comedy show as part of a pilot with the people who did Second City TV. The gimmick was the three wrestlers were their in their wrestling personas sitting at a bar discussing how-brow subjects such as philosophy." - Jan 6, 97 Observer

"Sensational Sherri was fired this week, just weeks before she was going to quit anyway" - July 4, 93 Torch

"The Slickster (actually Slick) has debuted and replaced Fred Blassie as the manager of Sheik and Volkoff. Slick is a tall black man who reminds you of a pimp." - Aug 86 International Wrestling News

"There was legit heat about none of the Freebirds being in the last top 10." - Sept 21, 87 Observer

"There is heat on Lawler among WWF wrestlers because Lawler is the only wrestler allowed to use the house mic to get heat from fans, or "cheap heat" as the WWF regulars now refer to it." - August 21, 93 Torch

"Ninja (Takano) was on trial in mid-November for allegedly hitting a fan with his nunchakus in Eugene in July. He was found guilty and fined $250 and given a suspended jail sentence and sentenced to do community service work. He wore his mask in court, although in court he was referred to as Shunji Takano." - Dec 21, 87 Observer

"Tenay interviewed Savage. Savage snapped at Tenay not to laugh at him during the interview." - March 25, 95 Torch

"In the dark match, Chris Walker beat Brooklyn Brawler via DQ. Brawler got the pin with his feet on the ropes, however Jack Tunney came out and overruled the ref and reversed the decision. This was done to turn Tunney babyface for the live crowd so they wouldn't boo him when he came out for his announcement before the Royal Rumble. It didn't work since they booed Tunney like crazy when he came out later in the show." - Jan 27, 92 Observer

"Once again during the interview, Tenay yanked the mic away for the person he was interviewing when his time cue came even though they were in mid-sentence, in this case Sherri. Afterward Schiavone commented on it saying he liked Tenay because he pulls the mic away when the time cue comes." - March 25, 95 Torch

"Bruise Cruise after all that advertising ended up with 170 tickets sold and supposedly WCW would have made money on that except they sent 40 of their own employees on the cruise as well which ate up the profit margin." - Feb 3, 92 Observer

"Sensational Sherri was not notified of her firing until Friday, two days after last week‘s Torch was mailed. She plans to go to beautician school." - July 12, 93 Torch

"Tsuruta & Yatsu beat Brody & Snuka in 16:51....Obviously Brody was by far the best man in the ring and he looks every bit as good as he ever has....Jumbo can be great when he's fired up but is lazy and not hungry because he's so wealthy." - Dec 21, 87 Observer

"In the next Heartbreak Hotel segment, Owen Hart was interviewed. As he was introduced as a high flying force in the WWF, he tripped on his way up the stairs. After returning to his feet, Owen said beating Bret was not a fluke and that he would beat Bret again. The camera operators were laughing so much from Owen's stumble, the camera work may not have been strong. The next night in White Plains, N.Y. the Owen segment was retaped ." - Apr 2, 94 Torch

5 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"Ron Wright came out with a wrestler called Abdul Hassan. Wright said Hassan came from Bagdad, Iraq and was here to collect the $20,000 bounty he had placed on Tracy Smothers. He said Hassan was Saddam Hussein's nephew and that when he collected the $20,000, he was going to use it to buy instant formula for Iraqi babies because the U.S. military had unjustly destroyed an instant formula factory during the Gulf War and the babies of Iraq had nothing to eat." - June 21, 93 Torch

Holy shit! Ron Wright is the king. 

"I'm told that NWA-WWF powers-that-be don't look at Hawaii as a battleground, but instead as a vacation place where they can rest and coexist with no big deal." - Jan 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"Toni Adams said she's great looking, but is an even better fighter. She said nobody knows what's inside of her. A member of the crowd shouted, 'Brian does!' " - Nov 6, 93 Torch

"Chung Lee pinned Sam Houston (if you don't think there's pressure on Houston to go on steroids, read this result again and think about it)" - June 15, 87 Observer

"At one point Funk told a friend, 'I'm the only main eventer in the country with a record of 11-107,' his only wins coming against TV opponents." - 1989 Matchwatch Annual

"Jim Garvin and Steve Regal are now a team but for some reason are wrestling the Road Warriors. Doesn't make any sense." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 02

"Bobby Jaggers is minus his horse, Majestic Prince. He was pinned by Scott Casey in a San Antonio match billed as Horse vs. Horse." - July 83 Observer

"Murdoch said Bob Armstrong's wife looks like Dusty Rhodes with grey hair. He said his son Brian shot unarmed Iraqies who were attempting to surrender during the Persian Gulf War. He said Brian should try to go back into the Marines now since under President Clinton's new policies, his kind are welcome." - Mar 19, 94 Torch

"We've gone from the weekly arena show to the monthly arena show to the quarterly arena show to the biennial show in some areas." - 1989 Matchwatch Annual

"A lot of people have suggested that Hogan return to his old theme music 'Eye of the Tiger.' That can't happen because the artists who recorded the song raised a stink about it. Bob Saegar did the same thing which is why Dusty can't use 'Old Time Rock N Roll' as entrance music, however ELO is flattered by Morton-Gibson using their song." - Oct 6, 86 Observer

"Vader threw a fit when Terry Funk executed a moonsault, which is also his finisher, at Slamboree. Funk was told not to do the move." June 18, 94 Torch

"The reason they did the television angle where P.N. News had his eye run into the ringpost by Mr. Hughes was because News had returned from England with a swollen shut eye courtesy of an altercation in a bar from Rick Rude. News couldn't beat Rude with both arms against one in arm wrestling and things got out of hand." - Jan 6, 92 Observer

"Charlie Norris is dating the woman who plays 'Snow White' for Disney World. He met her at the extended TV tapings in Orlando." - Sept 11, 93 Torch

"It looks obvious that Ric Flair will defend the NWA belt against Ron Garvin (if one year ago someone told me Garvin would be Flair's opponent at Starcade, or even two months ago someone said that, I'd have though they were insane, now I think whoever made the decision is insane)." - Oct 27, 86 Observer

"Then there is the group that offered nine airings of Tony Atlas losing the ICW championship to Vic Steamboat." - 1990 Matchwatch Annual

"It appears Thanksgiving is building up to a Ric Flair match with Ron Garvin where either Garvin wins the title or has to retire. They seemed to be building that up for last Starrcade as well, however with Magnum's accident and Nikita's subsequent turn and catching fire as babyface, the plan was scrapped." - Sept 14, 87 Observer

"WCW debuts at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 26 with Flair vs. Hogan." - Sept 3, 94 Torch

"Vince has registered the names of all his wrestlers who signed a contract so he won't have another Sgt. Slaughter situation, of someone leaving him with the character development he gave them." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 03

"Hart got tired of Lance Russell's comments and dumped a bag of flour on his head. This was done to suspend Hart because at that point he was thought to be headed to Mid-South in a friendly arrangement. But he surprised everyone by going to the WWF." - Feb 85 Eastern Wrestling News

"One Man Gang went to a double DQ with Beefcake in a hair vs. hair match (it was Slick's hair vs. Brutus' hair but since it was a ddq, nobody's hair got touched which probably didn't make the crowd happy) - Sept 21, 87 Observer

"While doing publicity for WCW's September tour of Europe, Johnny B. Badd sustained an ankle injury. While participating in a practice run for the international version of American Gladiators, Badd missed an American record for the obstacle course during a dry run, so to shave time from his effort Badd aggressively attacked a cargo net obstacle where he injured his ankle." - Sept 3, 94 Torch

"As some of you may have noticed from the Wrestling Challenge show this weekend, they are turning Ted DiBiase into a stronger heel. Fans were cheering Ted at most arenas and at the Madison taping, his first match (which was erased from the tape) saw him get a thunderous babyface reaction which caused a few short tempers to erupt. I don't think he'll be throwing money at the crowds like he was originally supposed to." - Aug 24, 87 Observer

"In three separate intermissions, Chris Adams and Action Jackson made $5 a pop for autographed polaroids next to a WWF arcade game in the lobby." - Dec 25, 93 Torch

"How come UWF and World Class still have Sting and Dingo Warrior running around in face paint? it seems to be ridiculous since they are both good looking and it hides their face." - Jan 19, 87 Observer

"At the beginning of the tapings a local radio D.J. came out and asked the fans in attendance 'how many of you got free tickets from us?' which received a big pop. Certainly WWF officials weren't pleased with that question nor were fans who paid for tickets." - June 4, 94 Torch

"Ch 36. in Atlanta, which airs both Deep South and Memphis on its Saturday night marathon block, edits out all the matches and interviews with Tommy Rich from Memphis which show him as a heel." - Apr 13, 87 Observer

"The story going around is that Terry Funk left a note with Vince McMahon explaining his backing out of the Survivor Series that read, 'I have to leave. One of my horses is sick' " - Dec 18, 93 Torch

"As for Crockett, I believe they have two jets (nicknamed the 'Stardust Fleet' which apparently upset at least one wrestler quite a bit) that seat around nine people each." - Apr 6, 87 Observer

"WWF Superstars on Sunday aired an inaccurate recap of Royal Rumble. Todd Pettingill mentioned that Ludvig Borga had a great match with Tatanka, yet Borga was not on the pay-per-view. There were several other factual mistakes making the WWF look pretty bad in the eyes of viewers who saw the Rumble. Even worse was the Rumble re-cap airing on Superstars in at least one market on Saturday, before the Rumble took place." - Jan 29, 94 Torch

"Before losing to Ron Bass, Lanny Poffo, in his poem, called Adonis 'a repulsive queer.' " - 86 Observer Yearbook

"McMahon and Lawler hosted a half-hour call-in program. Several technical problems and unwelcome caller questions hurt the flow of the show. One caller suggested that Tatanka was the one who was bought out by DiBiase. McMahon almost froze as Lawler changed the subject." - Aug 27, 94 Torch

"With the exception of Hulk Hogan, the franchise, Ken Patera is the only singles babyface with even a chance of making it as a significant drawing card, and to pardon the bad pun, the jury is still out on him." - June 15, 87 Observer

"The WWF pulled some strings and booked Madison Square Garden for Nov. 26, the date WCW had planned to run an event there. The WWF had a right of first refusal clause where they had rights to book a date if another wrestling company wanted it." - Sept 17, 94 Torch

"Jean Paul LeVesque has caught the eye of WWF management who are said to be interested in signing him. LeVesque is thought of highly by several in WCW and is said to have a great attitude, although since he wasn't in the WWF in 1988, he may be an easy pick for McMahon." - Dec 3, 94 Torch

"Sting missed both Fort Myers and Charlotte because he has a specific amount of dates per year that he has to work in his contract that they booked him in more than that number of dates, so he skipped the afternoon of the two double-shots. In the company's defense, they probably didn't know about this in time to change the advertising, and in Sting's defense, considering Bill Watts' comments and actions, I don't know he should feel any moral obligation to do anything not specified in his contract." - Jan 4, 93 Observer

"During LeVesque's final match on WCW Pro, color commentator Dusty Rhodes said: 'He seems on the down road as if he might want to do something other than real wrestling, if you know what I mean' " - Jan 28, 95 Torch

"Paul Jones is now dressed as a general and a few snips on his moustache short of looking like Hitler." - Mat Results Vol 04 No 09

"Before the match, our guardian of good morality J.J. Bins gets to play babyface and grab the house mic saying how Danny Davis will never ref again in Philadelphia--guess that's why Titan guys can bleed and Crockett guys can't." - Feb 23, 87 Observer

"The next big card in Kansas City has Ric Flair returning to defend the NWA belt against Cousin Junior (if Brody and Sarge can't draw then why not use a WWF Superstar?)" - June-July 86 International Wrestling News

"Jean Paul LeVesque cannot debut for the WWF for 90 days because Eric Bischoff is enforcing a no-compete clause on LeVesque's recently expired WCW contract. The legalities are questionable because it arguably prevents LeVesque from earning a living, but LeVesque and the WWF may opt to wait and avoid the legal expense of fighting it." - Feb 11, 95 Torch

"Titan sent Davey Boy Smith a fax on Christmas Eve telling him he can't use the British Bulldog name." - Jan 15, 93 Observer

"Sweet Georgia Brown came out and said she went to the store to get a Miss Texas doll the other day and pulled it out of the box and it was a stuffed monkey." - Feb 25, 95 Torch

"TNT is in serious danger of being canceled by the USA network because of poor ratings. That's the real reason Vince gave up hosting the show, because he wanted it to go under with Gene at the helm." Sept 22, 86 Observer

"The WWF has gotten stricter lately with what it will allow on TV given the recent anti-violence trend in this country on TV. The Smoking Gunns are no longer allowed to shoot off cap guns, Ramon can no longer flick his toothpick at the camera (seriously), and obviously garbage cans cannot be used as weapons. Apparently Lawler did not get proper clearance to use the can and there was legitimate heat from management, in this case McMahon, for the violent nature of Lawler's attack of Duke Droese." - July 9, 94 Torch

"Dusty fired Brady Boone because he kept showing up at the arenas at 8:15 PM which is pretty bad when shows start at 8 and you're always in the first match." - Feb 17, 86 Observer

"Savage's WCW run was almost stopped before it began. As late as Friday afternoon WCW officials were scurrying to get legal clearance to use Savage after Vince McMahon attempted to block his jump. McMahon apparently claimed Savage's previous contract had rolled over and automatically renewed itself and thus Savage was still signed with the WWF." - Dec 10, 94 Torch

"From what I'm told, Sarge and Crockett were unable to cut a deal, and by Virgil, I can't figure out why." - 84 Observer Yearbook

"In a satellite interview with Tommy Cairo, Cairo said he has taken up gardening. After some crude comments about 'eating peaches' he said he was happy to see what happened to Sandman, but wished it had been him. He then stuck a garden hoe pole in his eye and mocked Sandman." - Oct 29, 94 Torch

12 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"From what I'm told, Sarge and Crockett were unable to cut a deal, and by Virgil, I can't figure out why." - 84 Observer Yearbook

This is interesting, I hadn't heard about any beef between Sarge and Dusty before. It's not surprising since Sarge knew his worth and I can't imagine that would sit well with Dusty.

12 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"TNT is in serious danger of being canceled by the USA network because of poor ratings. That's the real reason Vince gave up hosting the show, because he wanted it to go under with Gene at the helm." Sept 22, 86 Observer

Vince did this in 1991 as well when the new studio audience format Prime Time Wrestling he started after he broke up the Monsoon-Heenan combo flopped hard.  Sean Mooney was the victim this time.

"Steve Austin is apparently staying put in WCW. Not because WCW sees his value, but because they think the WWF will turn him into a superstar." - Apr 22, 95 Torch

"Expect the UWF to suffer the same fate as Central States and Florida under Crockett. You can't make fans feel the local talent is minor leaguers and the big stars are in Charlotte and expect to draw when the Charlotte guys aren't in town." - Oct 5, 87 Observer

"Alex Wright was originally scheduled to win the TV Title from Arn Anderson, but a late shift in booking plans changed those plans. Instead, Anderson will feud with Renegade for the belt including a title match at the Bash at the Beach." - May 27, 95 Torch

"Bill Watts and several UWF wrestlers were served with a summons telling them about two pending lawsuits filed by World Class owner Fritz Von Erich. The first suit claims UWF breached the agreement the two promotions had involving the sharing of profits from cards in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. The other suit is against 7 people now employed by the UWF (Freebirds, Link, Gang, Tatum and Hyatt) for breach of contract. They claim they are under contract to World Class under a provision in the contract which states they can't appear in any Texas markets for 6 months after they (the wrestlers) give notice of the contracts termination." - Aug 86 International Wrestling News

"WCW insiders say Alex Wright's push is all but over now that Ric Flair is out of a power position. Wright was a favorite of Flair, but Hogan's camp sees Wright as a threat to Renegade." - July 28, 95 Torch

"Bravo and Slater went to a 20:00 draw which lasted 11:45 (Johnny Valiant told the ref to cheat on the time because he had a girl waiting for him) - Feb 2, 87 Observer

"Barry Windham has been fortunate enough in January to be attacked by the Four Horsemen, Lex Luger, the Midnight Express and Big Bubba." - Mat Results Vol 05 No 04

"Man Mountain Rock was scheduled to play his guitar and then win a squash. He couldn't get his guitar hooked up, so he apologized to the fans by saying, 'I was ready to rock the house down in Augusta' and complimented the people of Augusta. When the N. Charleston fans took exception to Rock's poor geography by booing him, Rock looked pissed off until Howard Finkle let him in on his mistake. Later Rock came out for another squash and the fans booed. He looked angry and had a bad match." - Mar 4, 95 Torch

"You can label Starrcade 86 a complete dud. I never thought a Crockett card could be so boring." - Dec 22, 86 Observer, Reader Letter from Scott Hudson

"Oct. 30 in London, a fan held up a sign that read, 'I've slept with Bonnie Steamboat twice.' Rick Steamboat responded by laughing and holding up two fingers, as if to say, 'Twice? Really?' " - Nov 13, 93 Torch

"As for Adonis, whatever happened must have been serious because the big angle which aired this weekend where Adrian painted up Piper with lipstick was something Titan had been bragging about for months. I've heard two stories about this, the one repeated most often is Adrian was fired due to 'irresponsibility' -- whatever that's supposed to mean. The other is that Adrian is suspended and will be back in a month or two. Either way he's gone for now and the feud with Piper is off." -  Oct 6, 86 Observer

"WWF Mania on Mar. 25 acknowledged the arrest of Brian 'Crush' Adams. Pettengill said that as a result of Adams' arrest (acknowledging his real name on TV) on charges relating to controlled substances and weapons violations 'the WWF has sent notification he has been terminated' " - Apr 1, 95 Torch

"Big Daddy's real name is Steve DiBlasio, not Steve Helwagen as I stupidly reported last month." - July 83 Observer

"The most popular front office line of the month comes from Mark Madden on his WCW 900 line segment: 'The Three Faces of Fear are the most evil, diabolical faces to hit WCW since the two faces of Jim Ross.' " - Dec 3, 94 Torch

"The big angle saw Adonis, Orton and Muraco triple on Piper and paint him up with lipstick and pound on his leg with a chair. All this is great, because it makes Adonis the lead heel on the circuit and he's gone." - Oct 6, 86 Observer

"Correction: Taz won a shootfight tournament in his weightclass at Korakuen Hall on January 21, 1994. Last week we said ECW's claim that Taz won a shootfight tournament was an exaggeration." - June 17, 95 Torch

"The gate for this card was $139,950 which is the second largest gate even in the state. The funny thing about it is this was, in my eyes, the least attractive lineup WWF had ever brought to Los Angeles. It just goes to show that my eyes are no longer qualified to judge wrestling." - Mar 4, 85 Observer

"Retraction of correction: Tazmaniac actually did not win a shootfight tournament or tournaments in Japan as ECW stated on TV, so it was an exaggeration. Taz did win a match in Japan on Jan. 21, 1994. Although it was on a traditional wrestling card, the one match was fought in a strong style." - June 24, 95 Torch

2 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

"Oct. 30 in London, a fan held up a sign that read, 'I've slept with Bonnie Steamboat twice.' Rick Steamboat responded by laughing and holding up two fingers, as if to say, 'Twice? Really?' " - Nov 13, 93 Torch

"The most popular front office line of the month comes from Mark Madden on his WCW 900 line segment: 'The Three Faces of Fear are the most evil, diabolical faces to hit WCW since the two faces of Jim Ross.' " - Dec 3, 94 Torch

"Correction: Taz won a shootfight tournament in his weightclass at Korakuen Hall on January 21, 1994. Last week we said ECW's claim that Taz won a shootfight tournament was an exaggeration." - June 17, 95 Torch

"Retraction of correction: Tazmaniac actually did not win a shootfight tournament or tournaments in Japan as ECW stated on TV, so it was an exaggeration. Taz did win a match in Japan on Jan. 21, 1994. Although it was on a traditional wrestling card, the one match was fought in a strong style." - June 24, 95 Torch

This morning routine is outstanding, thank you for these. 

Every day somehow gets better.

How the Luger jump to WCW was covered in the Observer and Torch

"With Lex Luger's two-year contract with the WWF expiring this month, his promotional affiliation is not a foregone conclusion." - Jan 21, 95 Torch

"Smith turned on Lex Luger at the Garden, but instead of turning on Luger, turned on Diesel at TV and will be managed by Jim Cornette. That may be because Luger at the taping gave notice.... Last week Sting made a play in the WCW offices to try and get Luger a job and was successful enough that they were at least strongly considering it, supposedly with the caveat that Luger come in as a heel and immediately put Hulk Hogan over clean." - Aug 21, 95 Observer

"Lex Luger is still with the WWF. Sources say Luger gave notice to the WWF, anticipating an offer to work for WCW. Sting, who co-owns gyms in the Atlanta area with Luger pushed for Luger to be brought in. WCW considered it, but then soured on it. Either both sides had a very different version of what his push would be (Luger wanted long runs against Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan) or guaranteed money or both. Luger wrestled house shows over the weekend for the WWF and as of deadline it looked as if for now at least Luger would remain in the WWF. His contract status is still not resolved as he hasn't renewed yet, but that is now probable. - Aug 26, 95 Torch

"WCW was only offering $1,000 per match to Luger with no guarantee of number of matches. Without a guarantee of a number of matches, his WWF deal leaves him with more security. In addition, WCW didn't seem as enamored with Luger as to grant him the position of being top heel and going from top-face to top-face, and were more interested in him putting over Hogan on an early Nitro show as to establish WCW superiority over WWF or Hogan superiority over the wannabe Hogan that never made it and then making him one of the boys. Technically his WWF contract expires in mid-October. You never know but I'd bet on two things--1) a renewal of the contract; 2) Whatever decision he makes will be the best business decision for himself and not a decision blinded by ego." - Aug 28, 95 Observer

"McMahon interviewed Lex Luger in the ring. McMahon explained that the reason Diesel hit Luger was he didn't know yet which side Luger was on. Luger said he understood Diesel's weariness. McMahon said, 'No one will ever again doubt the motives of Lex Luger.' " - Sept 2, 95 Torch

"Luger was open with Vince McMahon a few weeks back when he flew to Atlanta to negotiate with WCW. The negotiations did not result in an agreement as the two sides were apart on money and his role. The WWF, which pulled Luger & British Bulldog from SummerSlam partially because of Luger's negotiations with WCW, reincorporated him into storylines at TV tapings last week because he had told Vince he would be staying. However, because Luger still had not signed a contract with the WWF, he was still fair game for a counter-offer from WCW. The WWF meanwhile involved him in the angle with Bulldog and announced Saturday that Luger would face Hunter Hearst Helmsley at the Saginaw, Mich. In Your House event." - Sept. 2, 95 Torch

"Vince McMahon did an interview with Lex Luger where they acknowledged that Diesel had attacked him at SummerSlam figuring since Bulldog turned on him that Luger was part of it, but they said Luger showed his true colors by running Mo away from the ring. They built up a match for the following week on Superstars with Luger vs. Mabel (taped 8/29 in Erie, PA)." - Sept. 4, 95 Observer

"In the dark match finale, Lex Luger & Ramon & Undertaker & Michaels beat M.O.M. & Kama & Sid in an elimination match. Ramon, Michaels, Sid, and Kama brawled to the back early in the match to be counted out. In the end, Luger pinned Mabel. After the match Undertaker kneeled and pointed at Luger as Luger posed." - Sept. 9, 95 Torch

"Luger had been a focal part of the WWF television tapings on 8/28 in Canton, OH and 8/29 in Erie, PA, including having a television main event match with Mabel that was scheduled for Superstars on the weekend of 9/9 where would have been left laying after a DQ win by Men on a Mission and Davey Boy Smith. Whether this airs and the commentary track (which is usually put together in mid-week) makes references to the beating scaring Luger so bad he left or something of that ilk, or the match is erased and Luger is never referred to again is a decision that will have to be made. Because the interview where Luger issued the challenge for Mabel has already aired, they may air the match although it would air after fans have seen Luger on Nitro, so if I was to bet, I'd say the match doesn't air and they'll replay something from Raw to fill in the holes on both shows and Luger won't be referred to again." - Sept. 11, 95 Observer

"Both Luger and Bischoff were claiming that Luger was working WWF without a contract, thus was free to leave WWF on a moment's notice. Why McMahon would push someone without a contract (a similar situation to Randy Savage) after the Savage situation is questionable enough. It's even more questionable being Luger, who it was well-known that just a few weeks ago was involved in serious negotiations with WCW for basically the same situation and angle that he ended up doing." - Sept. 11, 95 Observer

"After a commercial break, during an interview Luger, who didn't indicate going either face or heel, issued the challenge for a title match with several not so subtle remarks about both the WWF and its title, which was agreed upon with a handshake between the two, for the 9/11 Nitro. Ironically, that was originally to be the main event on the 9/11 Nitro in an angle that first was supposed to be set up at the WCW press conference in New York, but fell apart because the money deal wasn't put together." - Sept. 11, 95 Observer

"It also continues Luger's amazing streak of earning more money in pro wrestling while accomplishing less than any wrestler in history.... Smith didn't even do his major
turn on Luger for fear it would hold Smith back as a potential top heel to turn on someone that the fans didn't care about...." - Sept. 11, 95 Observer

"Over the weekend they made no mention of Luger including editing all references to him and things involving him off every television show but throughout the weekend hyped Raw more than ever." - Sept. 18, 95 Observer

"WWF is claiming Luger has a valid contract with the organization through January 6, 1996. Luger has claimed all along he was wrestling with Titan for the past few months without a contract and thus was free to make the jump at any point. Apparently Luger, according to sources within WCW, is now claiming that Titan put white-out on his original contract and filled in a new later date in order to make this claim and that his contract had long since expired.... According to WWF sources, Luger's window to give notice would have ended on October 6, 1995, but that is immaterial because he had exercised his option to not have his contract renewed months before that date." - Sept. 25, 95 Observer

"Even more strange about this deal is that in mid-August, McMahon and Luger had a meeting where Luger informed McMahon about the potential WCW deal and McMahon gave him permission to negotiate. Without Titan's permission to negotiate, any WCW approaches to Luger would have been illegal contract tampering and you have no idea how closely both groups watch their words in negotiations to avoid breaking that law and the ramifications because the penalties are so severe." - Sept. 25, 95 Observer

"Plans for Luger were to have been working the next several months as the No. 6 singles babyface (behind Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Bret Hart and Razor Ramon) before a possible or probable heel turn in early 1996." - Sept. 25, 95 Observer

Not related to him going to WCW but it made me laugh

"Behind the scenes, the personal feud between Luger and Shawn Michaels has come to an end. After almost coming to blows a few weeks back, they have now made up and are hanging out together. Luger was upset, among other things, with Michaels's comments about him 'hitting like a girl.' Michaels was upset with, among other things, Luger spreading a bad attitude in the WWF locker room to some undercard wrestlers." - Aug 26, 95 Torch

9 hours ago, DeanColes1987 said:

As for Adonis, whatever happened must have been serious because the big angle which aired this weekend where Adrian painted up Piper with lipstick was something Titan had been bragging about for months. I've heard two stories about this, the one repeated most often is Adrian was fired due to 'irresponsibility' -- whatever that's supposed to mean. The other is that Adrian is suspended and will be back in a month or two. Either way he's gone for now and the feud with Piper is off." -  Oct 6, 86 Observer

This has always been a mystery to me, what exactly happened at the end of Adonis' WWF run. Obviously he came back and did the match with Piper, only to disappear immediately afterward and ended up in the AWA.  

I've never heard/read anything definitive on it other than the suggestion the Adorable gimmick was punishment for him gaining weight, only for him to gain even more weight afterward and that was the "irresponsibility" mentioned.