Pro Wrestling Only

Pro Wrestling Love: Greatest Match Ever Project

Brutha, I really appreciate that, man. I am happy that I can entertain you or help you find great pro wrestling! :) Keep spreading the Pro Wrestling Love! 

Best of Puroresu 2010-2014 Part 1

I have compiled another volume of Pro Wrestling Love focusing on the very best pro wrestling to take place in Japan between 2010-2014. It is not quite as New Japan heavy as the experts would have you think! Yes the New Japan resurgence with rise of Kazuchika Okada to rival the "Ace of the Universe" Hiroshi Tanahashi starting in 2012 contributed a lot to this list, BUT All Japan had its own mini-resurgence with defection of Jun Akiyama and others from NOAH and the signing of ex-Pancrase fighter Masakatsu Funaki. The 2010s were also the last gasp of the 90s as Kenta Kobashi retired and had his last great matches, Kensuke Sasaki kept NOAH afloat until his retirement and Jun Akiyama gave a spark back to All Japan in the twilight of his career. NOAH, once the dominant force in high quality matches throughout the first decade of the 21st Century became a desolate desert bereft of spoils of workrate, was able to use veterans like Sasaki, Akiyama and Yoshihiro Takayama to face off against their young guns like KENTA, Takahasi Sugiura and Takeshi Morishima, but once they retired or defected, it was slim pickings. KENTA as the clear Ace did the best he could having great matches with Sugiura and Nakajima in 2013, but it was not enough and even he defected to WWE in 2014. In addition, the last gasp of shoot-style (FUTEN), Dick Togo's crazy 2010-2011 run and Fujita Jr Hayato's campaigns in Michinoku Pro are covered. This is a jam-packed edition of Pro Wrestling Love you dont wanna miss!

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2020/08/pro-wrestling-love-vol-64-best-of.html

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of Puroresu 2010-2014 Part 2

At the risk of hyperbole, Hiroshi Tanahashi saved the Japanese Pro Wrestling Industry. There are very few instances of a single wrestler taking a company back from the brink of bankruptcy and not just survive, but thrive and make pro wrestling popular in Japan again. He did this with a very small support structure with no stars from the 80s or 90s to help him. Furthermore, the largest Japanese company, Pro Wrestling NOAH completely fell off the rails due to the tragic in-ring death of Mitsuharu Misawa and retirement of Kenta Kobashi. Tanahashi was able to turn New Japan around and stop the bleeding until 2012. In 2012, he finally found his archrival, Kazuchika Okada and over the course of the next couple years, business exploded for New Japan Pro Wrestling for the first time since the 90s. Tanahashi was not just popular, he is a fantastic pro wrestler where sound psychology underpins all the action in his matches. He claims four of the top five spots with four different opponents for best wrestling matches in Japan between 2010-2014, which is just utter singular domination. Very few wrestlers combine box office attraction and critical acclaim like 'The Ace of The Universe". I am so lucky to say I have seen him three times in person here in the United States and each time it has been a huge thrill! Pro Wrestling Love vol. 65 is dedicated to Hiroshi Tanahashi, a man who I know truly loves Pro Wrestling! Check out all his matches and the two non-Tanahashi matches to make the Top 6 by clicking the link below!

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2020/08/pro-wrestling-love-vol-65-best-of.html

• 1 month later...

Pro Wrestling Love Vol. 66: Best of Lucha Underground

Lucha Underground was a TV show featuring a hybrid of American Pro Wrestling and Lucha Libre that aired on the El Rey Network from 2014-2018 in four seasons. Unlike most pro wrestling promotions, there was no touring or live events, it was 100% a television show. It featured luchadors from AAA, among others, the most prominent being brothers Fenix and Pentagon Jr alongside AAA mainstay the Puerto Rican brawler, Mil Muertes, known in AAA as El Mesias. Lucha Underground launches Fenix and Pentagon into the American consciousness and they now work for All Elite Wrestling. In addition, Lucha Underground exposed the world to the breath-taking aerial abilities of Prince Puma better known as Prince Puma and the original babyface hero of the show. You even have Rey Mysterio the first ever Lucha Libre megastar to crossover into American mainstream making a pit stop in Lucha Underground for some fun. Following the AAA brand of Lucha Libre, the television focused on blood-soaked brawls that incorporated 21 century Death Match tropes such as fluorscent light bulbs and panes of glass. Lucha Underground is not for the squeamish that is for sure. Featuring colorful characters, outlandish storylines and buckets of blood, Lucha Underground feels like the true heir to Extreme Championship Wrestling. Pro Wrestling Love Vol. 66 features the five best matches to ever take place in Lucha Underground!

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2020/10/pro-wrestling-love-vol-66-best-of-lucha.html

• 1 year later...

I cant believe it has been over a year, but Pro Wrestling Love in written form is back BABY! The audio version of Pro Wrestling Love took up a lot of free time, but I have been binging a lot of Puroresu from the late 80s and here are the fruits of my labor. 

The first part of my top 12 of Best All Japan Pro Wrestling Matches to take place between 1985-April 1990 (Tenryu's departure). Just in time for the Greatest Match Ever Voting on gweproject.freefourms.net the deadline is Sunday November 21st. 1989 All Japan was fucking loaded! Let me know what you think.

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2021/11/pro-wrestling-love-vol-67-best-of-all.html

Top Six All Japan Matches 1985-Apr 1990

I would say my Top 4 are business as usual and no surprises, but I think #5/#6 will surprise people and I hope get them talking and reviewing those matches because I loved them! 

Best of New Japan 1985-1989 coming soon!

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2021/11/pro-wrestling-love-vol-68-best-of-all.html

Best of New Japan 1985-1989 Part 1

I love All Japan but it is a known commodity. You know the players and you know what to expect. New Japan appeals to my two favorite styles of wrestling: shoot-style and big carny, freakshow angles. I love that Inoki loved the two most disparate parts of pro wrestling and tried to marry them in New Japan. The rockstars they had: Inoki, Choshu, Fujinami, Maeda (fucking hate him, but he is undeniable), Fujiwara, Takada and Masa Saito and later Vader. It was a murder's row of talent and a great diversity of match types. I highly recommend taking the time and doing a deep dive into New Japan. It is the one DVDVR set that I think does have holes in it which is weird because it is also the biggest so please use New Japan World to track down stuff too. 

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2021/11/pro-wrestling-love-vol-70-best-of-new.html

• 3 weeks later...

New Japan 1985-1989 Part 2

Went on vacation to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Vegas and FINALLY made my Rock 'N Roll Pilgrimage out to the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood to see where Glam Metal was born! So bitchin' bruthas! 

This is the Top Six New Japan Pro Wrestling Matches from 1985-1989 according to me. I had a hard time ranking the UWF vs New Japan Gauntlet match as it felt like rnakinG A Royal Rumble but it was too iconic to leave off. Inoki gets a bum rap as there was a bunch of killer Inoki matches from this era. We see the 90s come early with some choice cuts from Vader, Hashimoto and Liger! Click the link and let me know what I ranked too high, too low or what I missed all together. 

https://ridingspacemountain.blogspot.com/2021/11/pro-wrestling-love-vol-71-best-of-new.html