WWE Crown Jewel: No Girlz ALLOWED~!

fakeplastictrees

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, The Man in Blak said:

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but that doesn't have to mean we have to be lazy about the compromises we make in what we consume or support.

I cancelled my network membership after the last Saudi event and my biggest regret in the months that have gone by is that I didn't do it sooner -- for me, the WWE wasn't worth making that compromise. Sometimes, it doesn't have to be a line crossed as much as a levee finally breaking.

But, like Loss and Al, I also think that sort of decision is always a personal one. If you want to make your case as a broader part of The Discourse, so be it; talking about this stuff can help clarify that decision for other people, as well as yourself. But all that discussion will never change the fact that everyone's math is always going to be different.

I cancelled mine this month.  Last day was the 24th.  The product has been trash for the past few months, on top of the general awfulness of the company.

That LWT bit is going to gain traction. The first one was using WWE as a throwaway joke, complete with an "Isn't wrestling gay?" line. But this was researched and really felt like someone on the staff might be a wrestling fan, or maybe some sane fans reached out to express their disgust. 

Vince doesn't give a shit, and if he watched the rest of the episode he'd probably be loving Oliver taking down lawyers/ DA's. Vince may love that he has a great legal team, but he hates lawyers.

But Stephanie and HHH do notice this shit, and must be wanting to go into full back out mode, no matter what they say publicly, or HHH working the show.

And Cena saying " Nope.", is huge. It's really the biggest development at this point.

Did Cena really say "no", or is this the PR kayfabe reason WWE is delivering in lieu of the real reason? The real reason of course being Cena's movie commitments in China. Perhaps Cena was never going to be there and this is all a red herring to ensure WWE keeps its top star protected as much as possible from all the non-sense. Everyone else can pretty much take the hit, but not Make-A-Wish John Cena.

9 hours ago, fakeplastictrees said:

Did Cena really say "no", or is this the PR kayfabe reason WWE is delivering in lieu of the real reason? The real reason of course being Cena's movie commitments in China. Perhaps Cena was never going to be there and this is all a red herring to ensure WWE keeps its top star protected as much as possible from all the non-sense. Everyone else can pretty much take the hit, but not Make-A-Wish John Cena.

If he was never going to be there, why would they announce him in the first place? 

8 hours ago, FMKK said:

If he was never going to be there, why would they announce him in the first place? 

The Saudis probably requested him to be there, and WWE probably never thought Company Man John would say no to it. 

As far as Bryan, taping the match at the PC was something kicked around but not the final decision. 

ProWrestlingSheet is announcing Renee Young will be making the trip to Crown Jewel as part of the broadcast team. 

It would be funny if they did a callback to the Prime Time Wrestling episode where Gorilla and Bobby pretended they were broadcasting on site when the show was taped in Paris. Bobby kept threatening to leave the booth to help his men and Gorilla claimed he had security keeping Bobby from leaving.

You can find similar articles online, but here's what to expect in terms of Rene's dress code (assuming she even appears on TV and WWE doesn't just have everyone calling it from the backstage area). FWIW, I would have preferred Beth Phoenix as she is much better at commentary than Renee.

https://www.expatwoman.com/saudi-arabia/guide/faqs/saudi-arabia-dress-code-for-foreigners

Saudi Arabia's dress code for women

If you are out in public, you are required to wear at least an abaya over your normal clothes (which too must be modest). An abaya, if you haven’t heard about it by now, is a long, usually black, cloak worn by women to cover their normal clothes and conceal their body shape.

A headscarf, also known as a hijab, is optional – depending who you talk to. Michelle Obama managed to raise quite a number of eyebrows back in 2014 when she visited Riyadh. Even though she was dressed modestly in bright, loose-fitting clothes, she wasn’t wearing a headscarf and locals quickly took to Twitter to voice their disapproval. She did make it back home safely without any issues, but then again, back then she was the first lady of the United States of America. We recommend you rather not try it out for yourself in Riyadh.

Then the question remains: to wear or not to wear a headscarf? The safest option, always when out in public, is make sure to wear a headscarf. Especially if you’re going to Riyadh. There are places where it isn’t required for foreign women to wear a headscarf but we recommend first scoping out the city before becoming too daring and leaving it off. It is, however, good to carry one with you just in case you do run into trouble with someone.

What about shoes? You can wear whatever shoes you like! Women in Saudi often wear open shoes while others are more comfortable in a set of trainers. There are no restrictions on what shoes you are or aren’t allowed to wear in the Kingdom. Just keep in mind that you will be required to take them off when visiting a mosque.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:14 AM, Strummer said:

Stephanie from an interview with Sky News:

“Moving forward with Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia was an incredibly tough decision, given that heinous act. But, at the end of the day, it is a business decision and, like a lot of other American companies, we decided that we’re going to move forward with the event and deliver Crown Jewel for all of our fans in Saudi Arabia and around the world

WWE are legit going with the "well everyone else is doing it!" defense, like a twelve year old child.

I totally buy that Cena told WWE he didn't want to do it and applaud him for it. And they had to listen. 

He's maybe the only guy, save for Lesnar and Taker, that really can tell Vince to fuck off. 

Vince might be upset with John Cena not doing this show, but after he's finished having his feelings hurt, he's going to need John Cena. And, if the trend of bringing back stars from yesteryear continues, he's going to be calling Cena for the next decade. 

Vince doesn't have the credibility to say "You'll never work here again!" when you look at the number of guys he's rebuilt relationships with in the past. 

The entire locker room could refuse to do the show and not tell them until the day they are supposed to fly out.  Not that that is something that I would expect out of WWE wrestlers but workers do still have power when they choose to withold their services and show solidarity.

2 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

The entire locker room could refuse to do the show and not tell them until the day they are supposed to fly out.  Not that that is something that I would expect out of WWE wrestlers but workers do still have power when they choose to withold their services and show solidarity.

It'll never happen because one kiss-ass would stooge the rest off, and the whole thing would fall apart. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The funniest (by which I mean not funny at all) part of all this is that wrestlers have never had more power and have never been more afraid to use it. 

Agreed.

They must be living their childhood dreams, like a WWE Fantasy Camp. They just enjoy the idea of being in the WWE. Far removed from the old-school "I better get what's mine" mentality.

Now Vince is like their daddy.