Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Crown Jewel: No Girlz ALLOWED~!

fakeplastictrees

If I'm WWE, I ask the Saudis if I can skip this show due to the political pressure and wait and see how the waters are for next time (assuming the deal was for spring/fall shows every year). It would probably be a safe bet to assume there would be less outrage by then due to the goldfish-like memories we have as a society now. 

Of course that all assumes there's not a more horrifying story waiting to drop after this one.

(Doesn't it seem so long ago when the biggest problem with these shows was the lack of women?)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

If I'm WWE, I ask the Saudis if I can skip this show due to the political pressure and wait and see how the waters are for next time (assuming the deal was for spring/fall shows every year). It would probably be a safe bet to assume there would be less outrage by then due to the goldfish-like memories we have as a society now. 

Of course that all assumes there's not a more horrifying story waiting to drop after this one.

(Doesn't it seem so long ago when the biggest problem with these shows was the lack of women?)

Tbf, that's just because western media tends to ignore what the Saudis have been doing in Yemen for the last couple of years, which is tantamount to genocide. So there's horrifying shit going on there constantly. It just depends whether this current thing means that it gets more traction over the coming months.

We were talking about what the workers think about all this andI wonder how Cena feels about this, in the sense that he's basically on his way out of wrestling and it may be more important for him to maintain his public image for general audiences than to keep Vince happy. He seems popular enough outside of wrestling but having his name attached to stories like this can't do his growing outside career any favours.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

I remember Karim Zidan wrote about the Saudi regime when the first show happened. The lack of women working the show was really a symptom of the larger problem of running a propaganda show for them. At least that's how I think you would have to typify it. I frankly don't think the WWE care at all, in the same way that the American government has never cared about Saudi human right abuses and crimes.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Let's recall how quickly and readily WWE talent piled on Dave after his Peyton Royce comments. But none of them can bring themselves to make a principled stand when things are about as black and white as they get in the real world? Fuck the whole lot of them.

Oh, that's apples and oranges. Talent rightfully calling out some of Dave Meltzer's inappropriate comments is completely different than commenting on something like this, that has garnered the attention of Congress. 

2 hours ago, aaeo_ said:

I remember Karim Zidan wrote about the Saudi regime when the first show happened. The lack of women working the show was really a symptom of the larger problem of running a propaganda show for them. At least that's how I think you would have to typify it. I frankly don't think the WWE care at all, in the same way that the American government has never cared about Saudi human right abuses and crimes.

Pfft it wasn't JUST Karim who wrote that article...

8 hours ago, FMKK said:

Tbf, that's just because western media tends to ignore what the Saudis have been doing in Yemen for the last couple of years, which is tantamount to genocide. So there's horrifying shit going on there constantly. It just depends whether this current thing means that it gets more traction over the coming months.

This. A few months ago, five human right activist women have been sentenced to death penalty, just because (hey, but now they can drive to their own execution, that's progressive). This regime is atrocious, and the propaganda pieces the WWE ran last time should have been enough for them to be completely blasted. 

Well, let's see what happens and how those awful people (the WWE I mean) will try to twist an impossible situation into more hypocritical PR.

Hint : renaming the event November to Dismember would not be a sensible idea...

My bet: they will stop plugging the event on US TV and the Network, but nothing else will change. Unless the plugging is part of the deal with the Saudis. In that case nothing will change at all. I mean it is not as if any sponsors have threatened to quit in the case that if they go forward with the event. The only way this gets cancelled is if somehow there would be a risk in losing money that is remotely in the ballpark as the Saudi deal. And the only such thing I can think of is the TV deal, and there is just no way that they will lose that over this event. Not to get too political, but it's just the same thing as the weapon's deal: moral highground stops as soon as it effects the bottom line.

And this November to Dismember joke made me laugh far too much. I am a bad person...

Sadly/unfortunately, this is actually how they should've been doing it all along.

Like how Beyonce and Mariah Carey performed for the Qaddafis. 

If you're going to perform for ruthless dictators around the globe for huge, huge paychecks, try your best to do it in relative secrecy. The WWE have unwisely treated these shows as WrestleMania-level spectacles and promoted the hell out of their deal with the Saudis when, if they' had not gone out of their way to make these shows a big deal and treated them like an MSG house show, for example, they wouldn't be in the position they're in now. 

News And Guts
6 mins ·

BREAKING: CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabian officials will say that "rogue" interrogators killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi. And it looks like Donald Trump is prepared to take them at their word.BREAKING: CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabian officials will say that "rogue" interrogators killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi. And it looks like Donald Trump is prepared to take them at their word.

https://www.newsandguts.com/report-saudis-preparing-admit-khashoggi-killed-interrogation-went-wrong/

So, the show will go on, WWE won't be affected, etc.

Honestly, WWE isn't considered "important enough" and wouldn't have been affected by continuing the show no matter what the outcome was going to be. 

If Glenn Jacobs runs for re-election, the most that will happen to him is a few negative campaign ads from the opposing party that everyone will ignore anyway. 

Sad but true.

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

News And Guts
6 mins ·

BREAKING: CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabian officials will say that "rogue" interrogators killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi. And it looks like Donald Trump is prepared to take them at their word.BREAKING: CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabian officials will say that "rogue" interrogators killed journalist Jamal Khashoggi. And it looks like Donald Trump is prepared to take them at their word.

https://www.newsandguts.com/report-saudis-preparing-admit-khashoggi-killed-interrogation-went-wrong/

So, the show will go on, WWE won't be affected, etc.

Honestly, WWE isn't considered "important enough" and wouldn't have been affected by continuing the show no matter what the outcome was going to be. 

If Glenn Jacobs runs for re-election, the most that will happen to him is a few negative campaign ads from the opposing party that everyone will ignore anyway. 

Sad but true.

It might get a bit more play because wrestling being involved makes for a nice absurdity in TV comedic punchlines but you're right. This'll all be swept under the carpet within a few weeks, like when the Saudi twitter implicitly threatened a 9/11 attack on Canada a few months back. Everything moves so quickly now that something that would have been a months long saga barely lasts for a weekly news cycle. 

Well if the early part of this show is any indication, they are going with the strategy with promoting Crown Jewel just without telling people where it is going to be.   As if WWE fans are so stupid they are turn it on and be stunned that they are in Saudi Arabia.   

I am just picturing a pool in the back for the first person to say Saudi Arabia in the next 3 weeks.  My money is on Saxton

While it is certainly not a big deal in the grand scheme, how funny is it that every person in this "World Cup" thing is American.  Granted we have Rey vs Nakamura and Miz vs Russev so there is still a chance