Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-04-12-PWF-No Limits] Steve Corino & Mikey Whipwreck vs J.D. Powers & Gino Giovanni

Migs

I watched a lot of indies around this time and have no recollection of Powers and Giovanni. They introduce a manager who is... goddammit, Rob Feinstein's homophobic character. The ECW guys come out and there's a lot of bad "comedy" revolving around the sexual orientation of the heels. 

The heels get control on Whipwreck, and the heat segment is dull but competent. Hot tag and a ref bump leads to Mikey getting the Whippersnapper and then attacked by someone who looks Sgt Slaughter's much less talented child. The heels double team Corino while Feinstein is attacked by a large woman in face paint. Jack Victory and Lou E Dangerously come out and Jack turns on Corino. Corino blades. Babyfaces finally clear the ring. 

This sucked, totally skippable.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-04-12-PWF] Steve Corino & Mikey Whipwreck vs J.D. Powers & Gino Giovanni
  • 1 year later...

That’s some spangle on Powers & Giovanni’s jackets.  After making their entrance they take the mic from the ring announcer and Giovanni introduces their new manager, the Fun Athletic Guy, aka the F.A.G.  Fucking hell, it’s Rob Feinstein.  Its bad enough we have to hear him commentating for Jersey All Pro, now he’s branching out into managing too?  This looks very similar to the gay character he was playing in IWA-PR last year and no doubt will consist of him doing every homosexual cliché and stereotype under the sun.  The three of them are already getting “Faggot” chants and I sense this is going to be a long old night.  An open challenged has been issued to any “two television superstars”.  Steve Corino is out first, joined by Mikey Whipwreck to accept.  Jesus, Feinstein’s interference (I refuse to call him the F.A.G. any more) backfires and we get some “comedy” with it looking like he’s doing Giovanni from behind.  Lame doesn’t even begin to cover it.  Mikey & Corino put on the opposition’s shades and jackets and strut like they’re the Fabulous Ones before a limp wristed Corino minces around the ring.  In a tribute to Tajiri, Mikey kicks Giovanni around the side of the head.  He misses the senton which allows Powers and Giovanni to take over.  As if things couldn’t get any worse, Giovanni straddles himself across the middle rope and Feinstein is there rubbing his crotch.  After a super short heat section, a hot tag to Corino who’s at it with the Bionic elbows.  Double noggin knocker.  Referee Mike Kehner gets bumped when an Irish whip is reversed, although it’s missed by the camera.  Whippersnapper by Mikey.  He’s attacked by an unknown assailant and Mikey fights him all the way back to the dressing room, leaving Corino alone in there against both men.  Some big Goth looking woman is out and scares the shit out of Feinstein who runs around ringside squealing while she chases after him.  Lou E. Dangerously shows up out of nowhere and he’s quickly followed by Jack Victory, there to even up the fight.  As Corino grabs Lou, Victory turns and hits Corino over the head with a metal object.  Jacko keeps a couple of jobs guys at bay before a returning Mikey along with the Backseat Boyz and a few other wrestlers run the heels out of there.  A no contest I presume.

Just awful.  I struggle to see how Feinstein’s character and all that crap was ever considered “funny”.  I was thinking another night off for Corino, but he did at least blade when Jacko bludgeoned him so that’s something I suppose.  The pre and post-match stuff probably went longer than the match itself.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-04-12-PWF-No Limits] Steve Corino & Mikey Whipwreck vs J.D. Powers & Gino Giovanni
  • 5 months later...

Powers and Giovanni make their entrance and I thought they had some promise as a shindie tag team I could get behind like Bad Crew in 2000. Then they introduce Feinstein and this falls right off a cliff. Mikey has been one of the laziest workers of 2001 and Corino is just lost in the wilderness right now.