Pro Wrestling Only

Roman Reigns has leukemia

Strummer

I was at work last night, and my grandfather - who raised me like a son, and the man who nurtured my pro wrestling fandom from day one - called my phone to tell me about it. I haven't watched a full episode of Raw since the Joe/Brock feud was a thing. I remember 3 things from that night - a Joe/Roman main event, Elias clobberin' Finn with a guitar, and sticking out a slug of a show to spend time my G-Paw.

The man's love of pro wrestling is constant, and hearing him sound genuinely upset about one of his favorites of modern day - DA BIG DAWG - broke my heart a bit. Roman's never been my favorite or anything, but he (alongside Bryan) is very representative of my last REALLY favorite time in WWE. That 2012-2014 sweet spot holds a special place for me, mostly because I was watching with groups of family, friends, and almost always my grandpa. It was right before my insane work schedule took over my life, and - let's face it - the WWE went to shit.

Bryan's injury and the Shield breakup happened, and we more or less just stopped getting together to watch or really giving a shit to watch.

I'm off track a bit here, but yeah. This is seriously sad news. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially someone experiencing the peak of their profession. It's the definition of tragic.

And Roman's fucking over like rover with my G-Paw, which means at least a little something to me. His bread & butter was Dusty Rhodes, the JYD, and Jim Doogan. But the old outlaw still loves him some pro wrestling, and he was feeling for Roman Reigns last night.

I had to scope out the segment for myself. I can understand why they chose to do the Dean turn the way they did, but I'm glad they didn't get some cheap heat on Roman's moment.

Wishing the dude a speedy recovery & a strong rebound. Here's hoping they'll actually play the hot hand if they're dealt it with a Roman comeback down the road.

I was surprised he was able to keep stories of his past battles quiet, especially considering he was a guy who might have been on some NFL teams radar (as a lower round pick, but still) and they are always spoiling to get dirt on guys. NFL writers have nothing on dirtsheets when it comes to SCOOPZ.

I hope he'll be able to recover fast from this, not even in terms of a wrestling comeback, but in terms of a guy with a wife and 3 kids. When they were doing that campaign about how to be a dad, there was a billboard of Roman and his daughter having a tea party on my way to work. It was always a reminder that no matter what nonsense happens in the stupid rasslin' world, these are people with lives and families. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

I was surprised he was able to keep stories of his past battles quiet, especially considering he was a guy who might have been on some NFL teams radar (as a lower round pick, but still) and they are always spoiling to get dirt on guys. NFL writers have nothing on dirtsheets when it comes to SCOOPZ.

I hope he'll be able to recover fast from this, not even in terms of a wrestling comeback, but in terms of a guy with a wife and 3 kids. When they were doing that campaign about how to be a dad, there was a billboard of Roman and his daughter having a tea party on my way to work. It was always a reminder that no matter what nonsense happens in the stupid rasslin' world, these are people with lives and families. 

If the article I came across yesterday was correct, it was after his NFL stint that he got sick the first time.  The Jags released him in 2007 and he played five games for the Edmonton Eskimos in the CFL in 2008 but was cut in July.    By the time he got healthy he decided to quit football and go into wrestling.  It only described it as an illness in the article though, didn't specify it was cancer, but since he said it went into remission in 2008 the timeline becomes clearer.

It hasn't been a good look for a lot of folks online feeling the need to couch their support of someone diagnosed with cancer in terms of their feelings toward the product. 

It goes both ways too. People shouldn't feel the need to preface their sympathies with "I never liked him/his push but....", nor does it do anyone any favors be like "I bet you feel like shit now, Roman haters!"

It's like someone getting upset at an athlete getting injured because how it will effect their fantasy team. It's gross when it's a running back with a torn ACL, it's ghoulish when it's something like this. 

On a positive note, it has been uplifting to see other companies like New Japan and ROH offer their support. Maybe it's my turn to be the asshole here, but something tells me if Okada was diagnosed with a terrible disease we probably wouldn't get any comment from WWE.