Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan

[1987-08-19-NJPW] Akira Maeda & Kengo Kimura & Riki Choshu & Super Strong Machine & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Antonio Inoki & Kantaro Hoshino & Keiji Muto & Seiji Sakaguchi & Yoshiaki Fujiwara

It's a multi man tag between the old generation and the new one. Strangely, Muto, who was really young at the time, is with the old guard. Like in others New Japan tag matches from that time, you can eliminate your opponent by removing him from the ring. At the end, Fujinami and Choshu on one side, Muto on the other, are the only ones remaining. It's a really surprising and interesting booking because the less experienced of the match, the underdog is the last survivor of his team. It's pretty obvious he will be annihilated. But he's not. Yes, he lost but did well, showed offense and resistance. The crowd supported him. I believe the bookers already intended at this point of time to push him. Anyway, it was a really enjoyable match without down periods. I'm currently watching all the matches that have made the NJ DVDVR set and as far as i'm concerned, it's the best match of 87 so far. Higly recommended.

This was all kinds of brilliance with a pace that never lets up. Think Canadian Stampede 10 man tag on crack. Everyone makes quick tags and thus the action never gets a chance to stagnate. Inoki looks like the dog's bollocks, Maeda effortlessly plays the dickhead and Mutoh is the rookie with a lot of heart. The way they got rid of Maeda and Inoki made them both look strong and left me clamouring to see them go at it again down. In the end it's down to Mutoh to try and win once the rest of his team is eliminated. With the molten crowd roaring for him, It's a star making moment for the young Mutoh.

★★★★¾