All Elite Wrestling offically a thing

sek69

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

There's a reason one of the message boards we used to frequent years ago turned your name into a verb. When you would go on one of your tangents it was known as "bixing up the thread".

...yes, by people who have literally stalked me in real life.

The comments about jealousy were more geared toward people like Les Moore, who is outright demanding Dave make apologies for things Les is making up out of whole cloth.  That's some Vince Russo fanboy level bullshit, and he should probably be careful he doesn't cross the line legally because his comments could be seen as potentially libelous (not that Dave would ever take the time to sue someone, but you can't just accuse someone of something with no evidence and demand they confess/apologize for it).

Not sure what exactly you're referring to here?

I never suspected you were jealous of Dave, more a combination of your belief that his friendship of Cody and the Bucks is somehow a ethical lapse and maybe some transfer of heat from your issues with Bryan. From the time Being the Elite got big to them becoming big stars in ROH/NJPW to the AEW stuff starting to bubble up, you've beome more and more weirdly hostile on Twitter. 

My what now? Why would I believe that? I don't and it's not. And what have I been hostile about with AEW? It's clearly a good thing for the business. I thought the Bucks blatantly lying about it (as opposed to just...not doing an interview with an obscure podcast where it would inevitably come up while still under contract to ROH) was insulting, but that's about it. 

As far as Dave himself goes, what's he supposed to do in this situation? He's known the guys involved for a long time, now that they're potentially the biggest story in decades he's supposed to stop talking to them so that people on the internet don't accuse him of bias? That's not how it works.

Nobody's saying that, at least that I've seen. 

3 hours ago, Robert S said:

During one Japan trip during the late 80ies one or multiple of the Freebirds (I assume Gordy was there, I don't remember the details) pissed on Dave in the bathroom. Meltzer was puzzled why they would do that as he did not know why they would be mad at him until someone told him that this was a sign by the Freebirds that they liked someone (that they considered him as one of the "boys"). Dave has told this story many times on the air.

Wasn't Dave. Was a different guy and has been re-told incorrectly as Dave.

30 minutes ago, Bix said:

The comments about jealousy were more geared toward people like Les Moore, who is outright demanding Dave make apologies for things Les is making up out of whole cloth.  That's some Vince Russo fanboy level bullshit, and he should probably be careful he doesn't cross the line legally because his comments could be seen as potentially libelous (not that Dave would ever take the time to sue someone, but you can't just accuse someone of something with no evidence and demand they confess/apologize for it).

Not sure what exactly you're referring to here?

Les Moore went on Twitter basically demanding Dave apologize to his customers for being on the AEW payroll as if he had some kind of smoking gun proving it. 

Somewhere along the way he went from a guy needling the admittedly sometimes self-important wrestling news scene to being near Single White Female in his obession. 

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Les Moore went on Twitter basically demanding Dave apologize to his customers for being on the AEW payroll as if he had some kind of smoking gun proving it. 

Somewhere along the way he went from a guy needling the admittedly sometimes self-important wrestling news scene to being near Single White Female in his obession. 

He didn't do that, though?

2 minutes ago, Bix said:

He didn't do that, though?

He did though?

Les Moore @prowrestling

If you are a member of the wrestling media and also a paid AEW consultant, ethics dictate you must disclose this to your consumers
9:04 AM - 1 Jan 2019

In the context of his other tweets he's clearly referring to Dave here. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Well I do in the sense that less places for work is not a good thing for the business or the wrestlers. 

Seems like an overreaction though. ROH isn't going to go out of business. They were fine before the "Elite" and they'll be fine after.

I still think AEW's business model will be what we saw at All In - working relationships with ROH, the NWA, and NJPW.

What Les did was arguably even worse than what sek is describing, which is that he Tweeted that, and then painted himself as the wronged virgin in white when responders asked him to name names or shut up, all while never actually naming any names. I say this as someone who neither knows nor cares who the fuck "Les Moore" is. But he wants to eat his cake and have it, too with regard to calling people out for being on the imaginary AEW consulting payroll.

I'm of the opinion that cable television is a dated concept. That being said, you can't deny the money that FOX just threw at WWE, so of course that opened a lot of eyes on pro-wrestling. If AEW does wind-up on a station, something like TNT would be great.

Anything like WGN or whatever channels iMPACT! has been on? Complete waste of time.

TV made a big difference for Impact though. They were getting over a million viewers on Spike until Dixie had to go Dixie it up for them. 

You do make a good point however, bad TV can be worse than having none at all. A station like WGN that has nearly as many homes as USA would be a big deal for AEW, but being on a bargain bin-ass network like the one Impact is moving to would be more harm than good.

3 hours ago, Bix said:

Wasn't Dave. Was a different guy and has been re-told incorrectly as Dave.

I looked this up, as I could have sworn that Dave told this himself. The full story (according to Meltzer) is that Gordy pissed on another guy called Dave (Katz or so, never heard of him) in the bathroom of Ribera Steakhouse while Meltzer was in Japan as well and the story became that Gordy pissed on Meltzer (Meltzer thinks that Gordy mistook the other guy for him). Full audio:

https://archive.org/details/BestOfF4WWONaudio2010

(starting at 27:20 or so)

So my memory was good enough to remember part of the story and even where I heard it 8 years ago but not good enough to remember the gist of it (that Gordy pissed on another Dave).

I honestly think Kenny sticks with NJPW full-time for a little while longer. He has all the leverage in the world with NJPW right now and I don't think he would pass on an opportunity for a big Ibushi program which is probably the plan for WK 14. That being said I'm sure he'll make a few appearances here and there.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Zoo Enthusiast said:

The Twitter rumor is that Dave is a paid consultant.  I would consider that to be ethically compromised if true but YMMV.

It is okay to cite me. This isn't DVDR where they cite me without credit all the time. AEW has allotted $5 million in consultant fees. They have been paying them out to the media since August. Meltzer's name was one name cited to me. Do I have proof or a bank balance? No. But even his own subscribers are questioning things now on his forum.