Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling offically a thing

sek69

I don't remember if I have ever watched one of the Elite YouTube shows or not. I've definitely seen some clips from some of them but I don't really go out of my way to watch anything on YouTube. When I remember, I'll watch an MLW show or something. But I don't think it invalidates my opinion on anything wrestling related, as it pertains to AEW, The Elite or anything else. I've been watching wrestling for over thirty-years, and I've seen Cody & The Bucks in multiple promotions & seen multiple promotions come & go in the world of wrestling. I don't need to watch some YouTube clip shows to have an opinion about Cody, The Bucks or a new promotion.

Besides, if anything important happens on any of those shows, it'll just become a headline anyway & you'll see it at all the normal locations, like on Twitter, Reddit, Meltzer talking about it, etc.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TheBestThereNeverWillBe said:

I've said this other places, and i'll say it here.

If you don't watch Being The Elite, don't bother commenting on AEW or Cody/Bucks, as every review/podcast of All In sounded like idiots who didn't know what they were talking about, most often because they don't watch a 15min weekly show on youtube, but will sit through 7 hrs of WWE television per week

He is only saying the truth here. Sounds rough and combative but it is only the truth. There's product knowledge/learning curve involved.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I'm not sure how my fragile ego factors into this, one way or the other. I don't know who "Casey" is, nor do I care.  I don't subscribe to the Observer, Torch or PWInsider.  I just think it's sad how you're trying to convince everybody in this thread how important you are and much you know.  I get the impression that it is important to you that people acknowledge that.

Do yourself a favor.  Take two steps back and objectively look at this statement you made:

"Endless wrestlers follow me on Twitter...I am well connected with this generation of Wrestling talent and promoters. Casey Michael and I broke more signing stories in Pro Wrestling over the last 4 years than anyone."

Even if your statement is true, if you're being honest you have to admit that the fact that you felt the need to make it, comes across as a cry for help.  If you can't see that?  Well then, by all means...enjoy your important status.  You earned it.  You're a very important person on Twitter, who knows all sorts of very important things, and all sorts of very important people and I am duly impressed. :blink:

I don't think I am important. I just fell into knowing a lot of wrestlers and office personnel during a key time in the wrestling business. If I wasn't knowledgeable or had a perspective on the business they wouldn't follow me or DM me. Simple as. Wrestlers are people. I wasn't pumping iron on Venice Beach. I was shit posting on Twitter along with them.

If I was to pat myself on the back it would be championing a lot of signed/successful talent very, very early. I can't remember the last NXT class or WWE call up that didn't have at least one friend involved.

2 hours ago, tallmike said:

This is one of the dumbest examples of gatekeeping I've ever seen.

Totally false Being The Elite is available for free on Youtube. It is on you for not keeping tabs on the industry.

Meltzer recapped Being The Elite in the Observer newsletter. And never recaps ROH TV.

2 hours ago, Captain Redneck said:

Because I'm old. Also, who the fuck are you? I didn't know someone needed to know every single Indy worker to post here.

Britt is more than just an indie worker. She's a fairly standout person. Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown had a whole segment on her. 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Brandi Rhodes getting the same job title in this company as Stephanie McMahon is first level trolling I will admit

It might be. But she has all the Degrees, a big part of the organisation of All In and is very well liked by her peers.

Find a bad fan experience with her too. First class and personable look you in the eye and treat you like a human like Cody does and beyond.

An African American female executive in Pro Wrestling should be praised rather being seen as trolling.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

How dare anyone who hasn't watched every single Battlarts match on tape attempt to offer an opinion on pro wrestling.

This a dumber than dumb defensive take. Why is PWO this closed/hivemined?

2 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It should have been obvious that I was being sarcastic. Someone here may be dumber than dumb, but it isn't me.

Can't tell given other posts in this thread. 

Some people here wear a lack of basic reading or watching of freely available content as this badge of pride.

This forum is absolute last place on the internet to embrace or get Being The Elite. To me that's fine. As is living in 1989, 1999 or 2009.

AWE have to bridge the gap between all the wink wink insider references and casual fans.

59 minutes ago, rovert said:

Can't tell given other posts in this thread. 

Some people here wear a lack of basic reading or watching of freely available content as this badge of pride.

Or maybe some people here just have actual social lives and other priorities that don't relate to them watching and cataloging pro wrestling.

This is a hobby. It's cool that folks can immerse themselves in it and produce podcasts or articles for our consumption. But no one is obligated to devote their entire existence to this shit.

It's meant to be fun. Keeping up with petty arguments on wrestling Twitter, seeking out clips on YouTube, or listening to 9-hour podcasts isn't in anyway related to my idea of fun. I get that opinions vary on that sort of stuff, and that's fine. We all have different tastes.

But when I want to watch wrestling, it usually comes within a restricted window of time. I don't know how you guys spend all this time watching endless hours of footage, but more power to ya. That just doesn't exist in my world.

But this attitude of telling people they MUST watch something or else is beyond silly. People are free to choose what they watch.

Whenever I catch a couple hours of free time or a day off work, I'm not going to FORCE myself to search for a bunch of fucking five-minute YouTube videos and spend hours watching them, just so I can maybe later watch, ya know, the actual wrestling show itself.

Fuck that noise. I've got precious few hours of free time. I'm going to sit down and watch the wrestling show.

It's fucking wrestling. The day it becomes too meta or too high-concept to just sit down and watch it is the day I throw in the towel on my fandom.

1 minute ago, SomethingSavage said:

Or maybe some people here just have actual social lives and other priorities that don't relate to them watching and cataloging pro wrestling.

This is a hobby. It's cool that folks can immerse themselves in it and produce podcasts or articles for our consumption. But no one is obligated to devote their entire existence to this shit.

It's meant to be fun. Keeping up with petty arguments on wrestling Twitter, seeking out clips on YouTube, or listening to 9-hour podcasts isn't in anyway related to my idea of fun. I get that opinions vary on that sort of stuff, and that's fine. We all have different tastes.

But when I want to watch wrestling, it usually comes within a restricted window of time. I don't know how you guys spend all this time watching endless hours of footage, but more power to ya. That just doesn't exist in my world.

But this attitude of telling people they MUST watch something or else is beyond silly. People are free to choose what they watch.

Whenever I catch a couple hours of free time or a day off work, I'm not going to FORCE myself to search for a bunch of fucking five-minute YouTube videos and spend hours watching them, just so I can maybe later watch, ya know, a wrestling show.

Fuck that noise. I've got precious few hours of free time. I'm going to sit down and watch the wrestling show.

It's fucking wrestling. The day it becomes too meta or too high-concept to just sit down and watch is the day I throw in the towel on my fandom.

SomethingSavage your post is kinda extraordinary. PWO is supposed to be Pro Wrestling deep dive the forum.

You didn't/don't have to "seek out" Being The Elite. It and All In was one of the biggest stories of 2018.

No one ever said you must watch anything that's an invention in your own head.

Why thank you. My posts are regularly quite extraordinary. Deep dive the forum sometime, junior. You'll likely learn a thing or two yourself.

You're in need of a new gimmick though. This thing of you being a well-connected big deal plays much better in your own head than it does here.

If everyone on this board is so out of touch and unappreciative of your genius, shouldn't you be smart enough to go elsewhere? Just leave us here to wallow in our ignorance. Trust me, man. We'll find a way to manage without your brilliance & your breaking stories.

Hey, is John Nord still alive? If so, they should have a weekly segment where he comes out to the ring and all he does is toss fuckers over the top rope Berzerker-style. And then leave. 

This is currently the only opinion I feel strongly about regarding AEW until they actually run their first show. 

Until then, Y'all have fun babbling on about whatever the fuck it is that y'all are babbling about. I will be hanging out in other threads until then. 

To be fair, rovert isn't a gimmick. He spends seemingly all his waking hours on Twitter and message boards talking about wrestling. Like nearly 24/7 for years. I would imagine it would be difficult not to gain knowledge at that rate, but he can't expect everyone to keep up the pace he does. 

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

To be fair, rovert isn't a gimmick. He spends seemingly all his waking hours on Twitter and message boards talking about wrestling. Like nearly 24/7 for years. I would imagine it would be difficult not to gain knowledge at that rate, but he can't expect everyone to keep up the pace he does. 

All true. And in the last ten minutes, I've been informed I am a menu option in Canada.

4 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Why thank you. My posts are regularly quite extraordinary. Deep dive the forum sometime, junior. You'll likely learn a thing or two yourself.

You're in need of a new gimmick though. This thing of you being a well-connected big deal plays much better in your own head than it does here.

If everyone on this board is so out of touch and unappreciative of your genius, shouldn't you be smart enough to go elsewhere? Just leave us here to wallow in our ignorance. Trust me, man. We'll find a way to manage without your brilliance & your breaking stories.

This is next level thin-skinned. Again I am flabbergasted can't imagine being a hardcore Wrestling fan and not being friendly with several wrestlers.

No idea what this has to do with AEW though.

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

That's fine & well. But - and this is just me being honest - I wouldn't wish that type of life on my worst enemy. Like, I'm a lifelong wrestling fan. But that sounds like a fate worse than death to me. Spending every waking hour hyper-focused on wrestling? Thanks, but no thanks to that.

If this means I'm not a true or "hardcore" fan, then gosh. I guess just direct me to the kiosk where I forfeit my fan card.

3 minutes ago, rovert said:

This is next level thin-skinned. Again I am flabbergasted can't imagine being a hardcore Wrestling fan and not being friendly with several wrestlers.

Tremendous.

I can't imagine several wrestlers being hardcore enough to be friendly with you. Me thinks you're getting worked, brutha.

SomethingSavage you are the one taking this too seriously. Pro Wrestling is a distraction and humorous lark.

Again no idea what this has to do with AEW you could have caught up on Being The Elite instead. Maximize your limited time.

39 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Meh, hopefully when Loss comes back he'll just ban him & this nonsense will go away.

Listening to a WON show Dave did earlier today with Garrett, he said there's going to be a meeting between ROH/AEW/New Japan to discuss working together. Dave's feeling is they all *want* to work together but politics might get in the way. Basically ROH/AEW being able to get along being the key. 

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

I honestly think the main event workers don't need to be on every single Road To show. I mean obviously Jericho only wrestling three times a year for them is too much, but as long as the champ or top talent work all the ppv's and maybe one of the more important Road To shows it doesn't bother me.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. I'm just pointing out Omega is not full time with New Japan, which I've read a lot these last couple of weeks. He's far from that, New Japan has no issue giving him a light schedule so he has a lot of margin to work somewhere else, like AEW, if needed be.

PS: I'm more offended by people not watching Big Japan's Strong Division than not checking Being the Elite. At least Big Japan has the best dojo going :D:D

1 hour ago, rovert said:

SomethingSavage you are the one taking this too seriously. Pro Wrestling is a distraction and humorous lark.

Again no idea what this has to do with AEW you could have caught up on Being The Elite instead. Maximize your limited time.

The only nonsense is insisting you can follow along with AEW at this current moment in time without watching Being The Elite. You know the Youtube show that lead to them drawing 10,000 fans.

28 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Listening to a WON show Dave did earlier today with Garrett, he said there's going to be a meeting between ROH/AEW/New Japan to discuss working together. Dave's feeling is they all *want* to work together but politics might get in the way. Basically ROH/AEW being able to get along being the key. 

Other accounts have told me that Meltzer is sitting in on that meeting.

2 hours ago, rovert said:

All true. And in the last ten minutes, I've been informed I am a menu option in Canada.

No idea what this has to do with AEW though.

I am not friends with a single wrestler, and I am Phil Schneider

15 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

I am not friends with a single wrestler, and I am Phil Schneider

I still like you Phil and you should do nths more podcasts than you do or can do.  The Segunda Caida podcast was the gold standard.

I don't understand the hissy fits here over suggesting people watch an ongoing series to understand that ongoing series. Seems like common sense to me.

I think what rovert is saying is that if you're an Extremely Online indie fan at this point, the odds are fairly high of befriending wrestlers to some degree.

And yes, whatever you think of him, he's still legit connected.

7 minutes ago, Bix said:

I think what rovert is saying is that if you're an Extremely Online indie fan at this point, the odds are fairly high of befriending wrestlers to some degree.

I vaguely wonder if this correlates inversely with having a spouse, kid(s), and mortgage.

Still waiting for an answer to this...

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

For people like me who only casually follow Twitter, it would be helpful to know who some of these people are...

Bix: I recognize him as David Bixenspan, whose writing I've read and enjoyed. I may have discovered his articles through the PWO message board, but I'm not sure.

Les Moore: No idea who he is.

Sean Ross Sapp: Vaguely familiar with his name from that Fightful site, which I've visited only a small handful of times.

Casey Michael: Never heard of him.

rovert: Not familiar with him. What is his name, or does he post everywhere as rovert?

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez: Like Carlos Colon in the '93 Rumble, I have a feeling these are two up-and-coming "youngsters" we should keep an eye on. :D

The post below doesn't clarify anything for me.

37 minutes ago, Bix said:

Okay, so "rovert" is "legit connected." But who is he? Is he someone who is only known in the Twitter realm?