All Elite Wrestling offically a thing

sek69

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

This is a problem. If people had to watch a 15 minute video online every week to understand the plot of that week's episode of Gray's Anatomy, the show would tank. 

I don't really watch BTE either, but while a different format to the way wrestling has traditionally built to matches,  is watching a 15-30 min web show every week to build up to matches on a bigger show/PPV that different to say watching RAW every week to give you the context for why you want to watch matches on a WWE PPV? 

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

Moving on from whatever hellscape this has turned into, I'm real interested in what WWEs "fantastic" offer to Kenny Omega was/is. I assume, a huge wedge of cash but a top merch cut? Mania main event? I assume he'll end up with his buddies in AEW but still, I wonder if he was offered Brock money.

I think it would be frankly bizarre if they offered him Brock money. Realistically, as over as he is with that fanbase, it's not like he's a mainstream name who would make a day one difference to the bottom line for either WWE or AEW.

4 minutes ago, FMKK said:

I think it would be frankly bizarre if they offered him Brock money. Realistically, as over as he is with that fanbase, it's not like he's a mainstream name who would make a day one difference to the bottom line for either WWE or AEW.

As aggravating as the last couple of years of Lesnar have been, if Brock (or Ronda) played a role in the TV/Saudi deals, he's worth every cent and at least the short and medium-term damage of having a part-timer as your dominant champion. Frankly, for as many good matches and programs as he's had and how reliable he is to carry TV time, I wonder how much a guy like Styles (let alone a potential Omega) helps the company's bottom line. It's so hard to tell what makes any difference business-wise these days.

18 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Oh, i don't think they would offer him that, I'm just having fun thinking about how much they'd spend to try in an attempt to kneecap AEW before it's even begun.

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As aggravating as the last couple of years of Lesnar have been, if Brock (or Ronda) played a role in the TV/Saudi deals, he's worth every cent and at least the short and medium-term damage of having a part-timer as your dominant champion. Frankly, for as many good matches and programs as he's had and how reliable he is to carry TV time, I wonder how much a guy like Styles (let alone a potential Omega) helps the company's bottom line. It's so hard to tell what makes any difference business-wise these days.

That's true. It's harder than ever to tell who or what 'draws' when drawing seems to mainly involve securing corporate deals as opposed to paying customers. The fact that Styles was champion for a year and is on the cover of the game suggest they must see him as marketable in some way I guess.  But you're correct, it's practically impossible to even tell nowadays. YouTube numbers maybe?

26 minutes ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

I don't really watch BTE either, but while a different format to the way wrestling has traditionally built to matches,  is watching a 15-30 min web show every week to build up to matches on a bigger show/PPV that different to say watching RAW every week to give you the context for why you want to watch matches on a WWE PPV? 

As I stated, I have not seen BTE. But as I understand it, there are not actual wrestling matches on the program. So asking casual fans to watch a show on the internet that contains no matches so they can understand why matches on an upcoming show are happening, is very different than watching Raw.

4 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

As I stated, I have not seen BTE. But as I understand it, there are not actual wrestling matches on the program. So asking casual fans to watch a show on the internet that contains no matches so they can understand why matches on an upcoming show are happening, is very different than watching Raw.

But is it really that different than say, WWF Superstars? It's basically an updated version of any of those shows minus squashes.

I've never watched so much as a millisecond of BTE, but I don't have a problem with them using it to develop angles. I mean, where else are they supposed to do it? New Japan doesn't have a weekly program and nothing ever happens on ROH TV. And it's not like watching it is a necessity since pre-match video packages are a thing.

17 minutes ago, El-P said:

The younger audience watch shit on Youtube, people. 

I have no problem with them doing it, especially if they can reach beyond the usual pro wrestling audience.

It's just that the idea that you need to have seen countless hours of youtube shit before you can even think about AEW would be a remarkably dumb way for them to run their business so the one or two on here making that argument are also remarkably dumb.

11 minutes ago, FMKK said:

It's just that the idea that you need to have seen countless hours of youtube shit before you can even think about AEW would be a remarkably dumb way for them to run their business so the one or two on here making that argument are also remarkably dumb.

I don't think that's their business plan at all. That's just something dumb someone said on this thread. Like I said, I did not need to watch countless hours of Being the Elite to enjoy the hell out of All In. The TV deal is what matters for AEW. The rest is cherry on the cake and fan service.

18 hours ago, Herodes said:

wildpegasus/residentevil was a sociopath who shared terrifying thoughts and anecdotes about involuntary ejaculation and womens periods yet somehow came across as less disturbed than someone name-dropping no-names while believing they have friends and spending years of their life dedicated to just posting about wrestling obsessively. I’m picturing someone in a dark basement talking to a mannequin wearing a Britt baker mask.

The bizarre fan fiction you've just written reflects more on you that it does me.

As is shaming someone for being big into Pro Wrestling on this forum of all forums. 

2 minutes ago, rovert said:

The bizarre fan fiction you've just written reflects more on you that it does me.

As is shaming someone for being big into Pro Wrestling on this forum of all forums. 

Hey, everyone moved on. How didn't you see that, dum dum? Just ignore it. Be above it, Internet insider. Or did you just have to bring this back to you? 

Yuck.

15 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

So, I follow PWG, Chikara, and RoH.

I have made friends with several local wrestlers in my area during my time as a ring announcer, have an ECW Icon's number in my phone and correspond by e-mail and trade dvd's with a famous 80's wrestling personality. 

I very much enjoyed All In, and I am very interested in seeing what AEW has to offer.

Yet, I have never seen a single episode of Being the Elite, because I don't feel the need to spend several minutes of my week watching a bunch of guys fucking off. 

I don't see where this makes anyone less of a fan, where it makes anyone less interested in the product, or where it matters in the least when discussing this company. 

I was just hoping we could all be happy that maybe having some semblance of competition might light a spark and convince WWE to start giving a fuck about the product again....

but instead it's turned in too a "who is the bigger fan" dick size contest.

Well, at least I got my credentials in!

I am totally on board with you.

15 hours ago, Migs said:

The best build to any ROH match this year (Cody-Omega) was almost all done on Being the Elite. You don't have to enjoy the show, but this dismissal of it as "guys fucking off" is absurd. It makes you less interested in the product (which is fine) because it's become a part of the product. 

Some common sense. Being The Elite has become much, much more of a business driver than ROH's own TV show. And it ain't close.

15 hours ago, FMKK said:

I hope AEW is as successful as can be because it would be great for wrestling but if you need to have done X hours of required watching on YouTube before you can even consider thinking about it then it's not going to be a very successful business.

I don't understand this resistance. BTE is just 15 minutes or so of your time weekly-ishly.

13 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I mean, Being the Elite is their "TV show" so to speak. I don't understand the fuzz about BTE being a big part of everything this group does. It makes sense.

I get if people get upset about rovert being confrontational and talking down to people, but I'm sure a lot of us still understand most of what Cody/Bucks and company do and book without following they youtube show religiously. Will we miss context on some stuff? Of course, but that can be said about every single promotion in the world if you don't follow their build up/weekly content.

I don't want to be seen as confrontational. But a lot of this thread is like explaining all this to my father or something. Youtube? What's that. Social media? What's that. Fan culture? What's that.

12 hours ago, Stiva said:

Moving on from whatever hellscape this has turned into, I'm real interested in what WWEs "fantastic" offer to Kenny Omega was/is. I assume, a huge wedge of cash but a top merch cut? Mania main event? I assume he'll end up with his buddies in AEW but still, I wonder if he was offered Brock money.

People going to WWE don't tend to talk about it or feed the press this kinda stuff. Meltzer is being Omega's PR agent for another year in a row.

11 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

One thing I believe from the Sportskeeda report is that WWE's offer has some sort of deal in regards of Omega's gaming career/hobby. Xavier Woods being a lead in selling him on that idea.

Sportskeeda is one of the lowest tier news sources

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I've never watched so much as a millisecond of BTE, but I don't have a problem with them using it to develop angles. I mean, where else are they supposed to do it? New Japan doesn't have a weekly program and nothing ever happens on ROH TV. And it's not like watching it is a necessity since pre-match video packages are a thing.

They've drawn over 10,000 fans and got it Hot Topic based on it. 

I agree that watching it isn't an absolute necessity. But a lot of the poster here probably would benefit from it.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

The younger audience watch shit on Youtube, people. 

What's a Youtube? /posters here

3 hours ago, El-P said:

I don't think that's their business plan at all. That's just something dumb someone said on this thread. Like I said, I did not need to watch countless hours of Being the Elite to enjoy the hell out of All In. The TV deal is what matters for AEW. The rest is cherry on the cake and fan service.

Again this countless of hours hang up you are peddling just is closed mindedness and an excuse. I thought this was deep dive the forum?

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Hey, everyone moved on. How didn't you see that, dum dum? Just ignore it. Be above it, Internet insider. Or did you just have to bring this back to you? 

Yuck.

I am replying to posts as I see them. Will take you calling me a dum dum as complement given listening to you on podcasts and the most bizarre theories not remotely rooted in reality.

Why is it so hard to get pro wrestling on a corporate cable channel?

Personally,  I think IMPACT is allot more entertaining than Raw. 3 fuggin hours of RAW is ridiculous. Use the last hour for classic programming. I think it would help promote the network. 

And why are promos so edited and written for everyone in WWE?  Remember how much more interesting promos were when the talent had artistic freedom? 1 of the reasons that Nitro was so popular. 

6 minutes ago, rovert said:

Sportskeeda is one of the lowest tier news sources

They've drawn over 10,000 fans and got it Hot Topic based on it. 

I agree that watching it isn't an absolute necessity. But a lot of the poster here probably would benefit from it.

What's a Youtube? /posters here

Again this countless of hours hang up you are peddling just is closed mindedness and an excuse. I thought this was deep dive the forum?

I am replying to posts as I see them. Will take you calling me a dum dum as complement given listening to you on podcasts and the most bizarre theories not remotely rooted in reality.

Thanks for listening! 

It's great to know I've reached shut-ins with my prodigious podcast nonsense, as well as borderline types without a sense of humor and inferiority complexes who can't just ignore being mentioned on screens.

Check out World Cast, the podcast I'm on now. Pete, Kelly, and I talk about the rise of WCCW week by TV week, here on the PWO Podcast network.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Thanks for listening! 

It's great to know I've reached shut-ins with my prodigious podcast nonsense, as well as borderline types without a sense of humor and inferiority complexes who can't just ignore being mentioned on screens.

Check out World Cast, the podcast I'm on now. Pete, Kelly, and I talk about the rise of WCCW week by TV week, here on the PWO Podcast network.

Handbags, Johnny. Again. I don't understand a prominent poster here using the whole shut-in thing on this forum of all forums. I have a prominent sense of humor and I am pretty centered. So I've no idea where you personal attacks come from.

Anyway Being The Elite is plotted out in a way you comedically think/thought WWE is. I recommend it check it out. 

Thère's no such thing as a prominent poster, or a prominent sense of humor. Theres also no prominent fan on the Internet, no matter who they know or what they know. You're being a cunt. Knock it off.

And I couldn't be happier that Cody and the Bucks have made this happen. I'm not gonna watch any of it, because I have a limited amount of time to watch anything, wrestling or otherwise. Most people are like that. 

Oh, and "inferiority complex" was the only thing you didn't refute. See, that was the joke. No sense of humor was the straight shit.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Thère's no such thing as a prominent poster, or a prominent sense of humor. Theres also no prominent fan on the Internet, no matter who they know or what they know. You're being a cunt. Knock it off.

And I couldn't be happier that Cody and the Bucks have made this happen. I'm not gonna watch any of it, because I have a limited amount of time to watch anything, wrestling or otherwise. Most people are like that. 

Oh, and "inferiority complex" was the only thing you didn't refute. See, that was the joke. No sense of humor was the straight shit.

You are next to 5,000 posts on here so you are a pretty prominent. No idea how am being a cunt for asking people to have basic product knowledge to be able to be conversant about BTE/AEW. That suggestion has only been met with the completely irrational idea you must watch EVERYTHING on their Youtube channel when no one in this thread has suggested this.

I am not the one with inferiority complex. Re-read your own posts. Will never understand this aggressive resistance to a series that has already changed the business in several ways. And I wouldn't that big of an Elite booster or defender.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Did Bix tell you to come into this thread to get the heat off of him? Cause don't fall for that.

I am the first person to give Bix shit when warranted. It is like you've got the wrong idea and is grossly out of touch.

23 hours ago, rovert said:

Paul, you seem to live in another realm/decade with respect.

You don't have to pump iron at Venice Beach to befriend wrestlers in 2019. Yes, I've had wrestlers at my home and have been on benders with them. It is pretty standard in the UK/Ireland scene.

Again I've no idea what this has to do with AEW beyond the fact the gap - actual or perceived gap between wrestler and fan has never been narrower. Apparently, that's a sudden newsflash on here.

I wish you all employed this energy watching the Christmas WWE Hidden Gems - which I watched in full or the Deonna/Eagles classic SHIMMER match that dropped this or Tozawa/Gulak on 205 Live.

And I punked out Bubba Ray Dudley at a bar in South Jersey when he was being a dick to some chick, so what? Most people on here know Rassler's or Workers. Nothing new to most.

48 minutes ago, Captain Redneck said:

And I punked out Bubba Ray Dudley at a bar in South Jersey when he was being a dick to some chick, so what? Most people on here know Rassler's or Workers. Nothing new to most.

No one is reacting as such. Need more on the Bubba story.

16 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I'm really not sure why the fact BTE doesn't have matches on it is such an issue though, I don't think it needs to. It's background/context/build up to make you want to watch matches - isn't that the basic format that wrestling has always had? I know in the 80s studio wrestling shows had squash matches on them, but essentially the main points of those shows were the interviews, promos and angles to make you want to go to shows. As odd as it may sound, in my opinion too many wrestling TV shows these days actually have too many matches! There should be more use of angles, video packages, personality pieces, promos to help build up to bigger matches, so that there's an actual reason why you want to see them, not just putting two guys out there to have a heatless match for no reason to fill time.

And really I think that in 2019, having a 15-30 min weekly online show you can watch anywhere for free and on your phone that helps get over the personalities of guys and the motivations for their actions is a hell of a lot more appealing to a casual viewer than having to have a cable subscription to watch a 3 hour show with lots of matches that have no backstory or reason for happening.