RIP "Mean" Gene Okerlund

Stiva

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the most iconic, beloved on-screen characters in wrestling history. Its hard to say he was underrated because he was so iconic, but when you think of a backstage interviewer in wrestling, its "Mean" Gene. He is on the top floor of a skyscraper and everybody else whose ever done the role is waiting for an elevator at ground level comparatively. He made being the straight man to larger-than-life personas like Hogan, Savage, Flair, and Heenan look completely effortless while also being the perfect shill for the companies he worked for (and I mean that as a compliment because that was his job). 

RIP Gene

Wow. The voice of pro-wrestling in the 80's and 90's. Although I would get the French version of both WWF and WCW until 97, I would still get Mean Gene's interview segments so he was The Man as far as these went. When we got WCW in 1996, I was amazed to find him back on this other promotion and he automatically gave an aura of legitimacy and star power to the product. Actually, I think my favourite Mean Gene era is the early Nitros where he would have that awesome chemistry with Flair.  The Greatest, no doubt about it.

One of the few highlights of WCW was the chemistry with Mean Gene and Ric Flair.  You can judge the awesome of the promo but how long we would get MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN GENE from Flair.   

His greatest strengths was his ability to say a lot without saying anything.  Some of the times it would hurt him as he couldn't control himself from laughing but it was great to see.  He was also maybe the best worst WWF commentator during the early 80's house shows with Gorilla Monsoon.  He offered very little in commentary except his energy with the situation

I'm in shock. This one hurts. Was not expecting it at all. 

Not only was he one of the most iconic wrestling voices of all time, he was one of the most iconic television broadcast voices IMO.

I'll never understand why WWE ever let him go. 

A huge part of my childhood & teenage years has now disappeared with the passing of Mean Gene. The absolute GOAT as backstage interviewer. To think he was still hosting WWE Vintage Collection with Charly Caruso in international markets as recently as a few days ago. RIP Mean Gene.

I was never a Hulkamaniac but I always popped for a good "WELL LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING, MENE GENE". 

Agreed with the above how it's odd to say someone so iconic could be underrated, but the fact that WWF/E never found anyone since who could do the job 1/4th as good as he did. Not only was the the perfect straight man for all the crazy cartoon characters in the WWF, the way he would sell when a heel would say something dastardly is one of those little things that helped get someone over that no one does anymore. 

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

He was also maybe the best worst WWF commentator during the early 80's house shows with Gorilla Monsoon.  He offered very little in commentary except his energy with the situation

I've said it before even on this board and I'll say it again now: Monsoon-Okerlund are maybe the most underrated commentary duo out of all of 'em.  Them shooting the shit while some prelim guy is in a five minute headlock is some of the best medicine on real bad days.  They're not "great" if you're looking for actual commentary but they're like having your buddies over while you watch some wrestling together.  Okerlund's "AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH" whenever someone hits someone else hard makes me mark out everytime.  A part of my childhood is gone now and this one hurts hard, like Heenan's did.  RIP to a legend.

I happened to recently watch Starrcade 1993 recently and the segments with Flair and Gene in the limo on the way to the show was absolute gold. Completely understated and reflective performances but really selling the gravity of the stipulation and making the whole thing just feel 100% real and legit.

RIP

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

All of the shit we cared about so much as kids made sense almost solely because of him. 

Couldn't have said it any better.

I think it's also fair to say that of anyone else in either the broadcast booth or holding the mic, nobody had the chemistry with Hogan that he had. Gene could get across the fact that he supported Hulk, and could help get across the angles at the same time. A sorely underrated moment during the heel turn at Bash At the Beach 96 is when Hogan turns more aggressive towards Okerlund with his usual shtick.

6 hours ago, Captain Redneck said:

RIP. I guess that I'm in the minority in thinking that Okerlund sucked balls ?

1 hour ago, Captain Redneck said:

I thought he was a carnival barker in the WWF. In the AWA, he was better, but I think he was overrated.

Yeah, this is definitely the appropriate thread to air these thoughts - especially using the queen's English like "sucked balls." :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Okerlund's "AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH" whenever someone hits someone else hard makes me mark out everytime.

Gene's call of the Slaughter/Sheik Boot Camp Match is just as memorable to me as the match itself. I remember his shouts similar to the above seemed to put over the blood and guts of the match even more.

I loved seeing Mean Gene in front of the monitors in the control room talking about what was going on in the WWF during his update segments. I remember Lord Hayes and Sean Mooney also did that but I really felt like whenever it was Mean Gene it felt more welcoming, like coming back home.

Total legend. In my head, when I'm thinking about or reminiscing about old wrestling stuff, the voice in my head that I'm remembering is usually either Okerlund or Solie. Okerlund was a big part of my childhood. And honestly, my teenage years too. Same with Howard Finkel. When you grow up with those voices, they become ingrained in your mind.

I'll never forget Mean Gene carrying The Hulkster up the stairs.

R.I.P.