Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

I think Cage would be fine as a top guy in a mid-card heel stable. But he's not a top guy for a major national promotion. Getting a built up World title match that he lost on TV is the highest a guy like Cage should achieve in AEW. There's nothing that Cage does that Ricky Starks doesn't do better with a lot of charisma on top of it.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Very excited to see Stallion Rogers and Anthony Greene popped up on the Dark tapings today, as well as Allie Katch.  I'm going to have to make more of a point to check those shows out.

Those shows have really improved over the summer. Much shorter and they even have a couple of angles that run just on those shows.

27 minutes ago, joeg said:

Other than a great look and being an explosive athlete, what does Brian Cage have? To me he's the modern day Mike Awesome. He needs to be booked very creatively to accent what he does well while hiding all the things he doesn't. 

But half a foot shorter & without Masato Tanaka making him look good. I can kind of see it.

I feel the biggest issue with Brian Cage is that he doesn't really stand out because everything that he can do & does, you can get from other people like Jeff Cobb. Even the "big guy does things he shouldn't be able to do" trope is kind of overused today. Like we knew of guys like Bigelow or Vader doing Moonsaults & now you just have dudes like Keith Lee running around where they're doing double leap frog spots like they're nothing! Which was always the inevitable outcome when everyone started doing everything. 

First time I ever saw a standing Shooting Star Press, I didn't think it was possible. Now it's just another move in a match that doesn't even get a pinfall attempt half the time. Or look at Canadian Destroyers. We've seen Scarlett do it. Ricky Morton do it. Britt Baker just did the Panama Sunrise. On the same show, in the cage match, they did it off the top rope. It wasn't the finish. But the first time Petey Williams ever did it, everyone shit their pants. Brian Cage is in an era where everything he does everyone else is doing, so he's not going to standout like a Scott Steiner in the early 90's did. What is Brian Cage's Frankensteiner?

Pro wrestling is just a series of things that used to be no doubt match enders/something no one else was doing then everyone starts doing it. Been that way since wrestling has been a thing, I remember Muta coming over on excursion and doing moonsaults in the 80s when no one else was doing it but Lanny Poffo (and being a jobber he didn't bust it out that often). 

Plus it's always going to be more impressive when you see superheayweights doing flippy stuff. 

32 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Those shows have really improved over the summer. Much shorter and they even have a couple of angles that run just on those shows.

The latter part of that is definitely part of what makes me want to watch.  I'm a fan of squash matches but watching two straight hours of them isn't all that exciting but throwing some stories into these shows should work wonders.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Pro wrestling is just a series of things that used to be no doubt match enders/something no one else was doing then everyone starts doing it. Been that way since wrestling has been a thing, I remember Muta coming over on excursion and doing moonsaults in the 80s when no one else was doing it but Lanny Poffo (and being a jobber he didn't bust it out that often). 

Plus it's always going to be more impressive when you see superheayweights doing flippy stuff. 

Yeah, it's very much like the NBA Dunk Contest. You go back & watch the old dunks & they're not impressive compared to what the athletes are doing today. Like Dominique Vs. Jordan wasn't anything to compared to LaVine Vs. Gordon.

Cage is billed at 6 feet which seems a big exaggeration. Looking at his pre-roided figure, it's striking how much smaller and more generic he was. Now of course the point of roids is to enhance your look, but this is Chris Masters in 2006 times ten, except Masters was bigger. 

10 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Very excited to see Stallion Rogers and Anthony Greene popped up on the Dark tapings today, as well as Allie Katch.  I'm going to have to make more of a point to check those shows out.

Saw some real buzz for all three, although Allie had some mixed response - I really need to check out her work, she's been getting so much discussion recently - and I am excited to check out Dark when it airs. Apparently a lot of really good indy talent featured.

23 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

He'd be perfect as Miz's muscle

20 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

Miz dwarfs him though. He’s like legit six inches taller than him. 

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen him wrestling in donkey's years (because that guy can't wrestle for shit) but I vividly recall him standing next to Mike Tyson and being taller than him. He also had a time pre-big body around 2010ish tagging with LA Knight and he was around the same height (billed 6'1").