• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, kas said:

I love Kingston

That is a(nother) great Kingston promo.

From 1:00 to 1:03 in that video, they show a letter from Japan. 

I'm at least 85% sure that the "Thank you for comming to Japan. Please come back" was from when Kingston, Fire Ant, and Green Ant came to Osaka pro in September of 2011. The Kenji who signed it is presumably my very good friend the Osaka Pro super-fan, and Keigo is presumably Keigo Yoshino, Osaka Pro referee and announcer who was also in charge of brining in and taking care of foreign talent. If so, I believe I had a small hand in making that (I was sometimes asked to help with/proofread English language stuff. Me: You spelled "coming" wrong. Them: OK). Oh boy did we ever love Eddie Kingston. A whole bunch of Chikara guys came over in October 2010 and they were so obviously delighted to be there that heels often tossed us a nod and a wink when they were heeling it up. Not Eddie. He never cracked a smile. We booed him like crazy, relentlessly. He frequently teamed up with my good friend Kuuga, and Kenji and Kae and I would scream at them and they would yell at us and flip us off. 

"Please come back" was meant with 100% sincerity, if indeed that was my friend Kenji who signed it. It warms my heart to see that in the video and imagine it still has some meaning for Kingston.

I can't find any pics from that tour at the moment, but I do have some from the 2010 Chikara tour, specifically the Haloween party/show.

33483_492622250357_4825164_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Kae (the goat), Dasher (who is working AEW this week!) and Kenji

33668_492622280357_2132063_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Stigma, me, and Vin (UnStable)

EDIT: I just got confirmation (from Kae) that it was definitely us who wrote that letter. She remembers him being moved when they gave it to him. Also, that's my boy Mihara that Kingston is suplexing in the Japanese magazine at 1:00!

That Owen thing is awesome. Funny how Dark Side of the Ring has had some actual repercussions IRL, because you know this doesn't happen without the documentary. That's when Martha reconciled with the fact pro-wrestling fans did sincerely love Owen and that was a big part of his life. Considering the shit she was thrown at for years thanks to the wonderful propaganda by WWE to make her appear as the villain, while she has actually done everything right that you can think of, it's pretty damn awesome to see something like this happen (another one that just would not even be imaginable a few years back). Owen was always one of my very favorites back then, so this will be pretty special.

That Kingston "promo" is something else too. Amazing that this is your letter @gordi, so cool ! The Kingston story is pretty insane. And it sums up pretty much everything right about AEW and why it was needed for the pro-wrestling landscape. A guy like Kingston would never have been given a look by WWE, ever. And if he had, just picture him being jobbed out in humiliating fashion in NYC, because that's how things go. Instead, the guy is living his best life way past the point of his career where he thought even a fraction of this could ever happen (hell, he was basically done). Apparently the Mox/Kingston vs Archer &Suzuki match is closing Arthur Ashes. So you know what that mean, pun intended. This is going to be one for the ages, people.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, gordi said:

He cornered a flight attendant and forced her, against her will, to touch his penis. That is flat out sexual assault.

What is the proper response to that?

If true, he probably should have been fired and never employed by WWE again.  But we know that didn't happen at all.....seems they reached a quiet settlement and Flair continued to be employed and featured on television

This will be my last word in this thread on this topic since I was gonna let it breathe and let it go but I see multiple people taking shots at me and I take offense.  For what exactly?  What did I say that was so bad?  If you think I'm an idiot that's fine, but there's a decade of me posting here that would indicate that I'm neither an idiot (mileage might vary) nor someone looking to make hot takes for hot takes sake as someone seemed to suggest.  I also didn't know my "gimmick" was "railing against cancel culture" but whatever is clever as the kids say

I'm not defending Flair's behavior.  But it's very old news.  I just find it ridiculous that everyone all of a sudden freaks out about an almost 20 yr old incident, one of multiple involving Ric Flair, when all the stories about him have been around for decades.  This one in particular, and multiple ones on airplanes.  I know it might sound like I'm defending him, but I'm really not.  I just hate this bullshit revisionist culture developing where we retcon outrage.  If you want to cancel Ric over this, whatever, have at it. 

Honestly, you might as well just stop being a fan of any old school rasslin if that's the way you feel.  And you definitely should never watch WWF/WWE.  But nobody likes to hear that argument either, so I guess the only way to conform is to either shut the fuck up or pretend to be outraged to get along?

And you can laugh at me all you want and say I'm making a false equivalency, but there's some seriously dark bad shit happening in our world right now.   Tons of it.   Maybe I just don't have the energy to be outraged about an old Ric Flair story, ya know?

I really didn't want to shit up the AEW thread with more of this.  Can it be moved to the Ric Flair thread or something?  If anyone wants to argue with me or tell me what a jerk I am please take it private.  Thanks.

Y'all will probably shit on me now for following that with this......but the Martha Hart/Owen Cup news legit brought a tear to my eye. 

I would submit to @cm funk that folks have been treating you the way they have because you have been very dismissive of folks saying they were victims of sexual assault. You seem to think it's ludicrous that Flair would force an unwilling participant to touch his junk when the man's own book has stories of him tapping women on the head with it.

One thing that has kind of surprised me in the last 4 weeks I've been watching AEW shows is that Jim Ross has been pretty damn good. Not sure if he got better with the new signings but I remember reading a lot of criticism of his work and I didn't notice nothing particularly bad. In fact he's sounded more motivated than when he worked play by play for New Japan and his last WWE stint.

Tony's the best of the three though, and I say that as a Excalibur stan.

I’ve noticed that with JR. I think he’s finally invested and buying in to what they’re doing and that’s coming across. Rather than sounding like he’s going through the motions as he was in the first year or so, somethings changed and you can tell when he’s way into what he’s watching.

13 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Bring in the Bollywood Boyz and debut him as their 7 foot tall, angry partner in a feud with Jurassic Express. Then you have the visual of him picking up Marko Stunt and dunking him into the Young Bucks’ basketball hoop. You can have that one for free, TK

The best part is you know Marko would be 100% down for this. 

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Da fuck ? If AEW signs tall guys now where is this thing going ? That's Vince's thing goddammnit ! If Dustin & QT can work their magic with this guy and get a Great Khali that doesn't suck...

7 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

One thing that has kind of surprised me in the last 4 weeks I've been watching AEW shows is that Jim Ross has been pretty damn good. Not sure if he got better with the new signings but I remember reading a lot of criticism of his work and I didn't notice nothing particularly bad. In fact he's sounded more motivated than when he worked play by play for New Japan and his last WWE stint.

Noticed it too, he's been much better lately, that has been noticeable. At least since All Out.

And yeah, Tony Schiavone is awesome. I've been singing the praises of Schiavone for years during the dark days as he was one of my all-time favorite at his peak (him & Jesse are maybe my favorite old-school duo ever and he's got the classic line of all classic lines to his resume too), so I'm just having a blast since he came back so full of life and enthousiasm.

2 hours ago, funkdoc said:

TK on Busted Open is outright calling him "Hollywood Cody" now.

yeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh i'd say that heel turn's coming real soon

EDIT: As if that wasn't obvious enough he also announced Cody/Lee Johnson vs. Dante Martin/Matt Sydal for next week

Good. 

But does that necessarily imply Black is a face or just that Cody and family are ultra fucking unlikeable? Should Arn manage someone else now?