goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm not super-high on either team, but I can at least see why people consider the Young Bucks all-time greats.

To me, they're the epitome of Indie style. Getting all your shit in, kicking out of everything, doing high spots for the sake of high spots. It's video game wrestling. It's Twitter .gif wrestling. It's, to coin a favorite phrase from PWO's past, COSplay wrestling. When people in the wrestling circles talk about the Young Bucks to the point that they call them the greatest ever or some shit, I just roll my eyes. It's something I'll never understand or comprehend. Thankfully there's a mute feature & block button on every forum/social media so I can remove myself from any discourse with those people. It's easier than trying to engage them, like Trump supporters. Just let them live in their bubble & I'll live in mine. Life is too short to argue with strangers on the internet over opinions that will never be persuaded. 

I never understood the Kevin Steen love. I don't get Orange Cassidy. But to me, the Bucks are the worst. AEW "Stans" on Twitter are a different breed. It's like the Beyonce fans or the fans of that all dude Korean pop band but from wrestling marks. Not to say the die-hard WWE fans aren't also equally biased & nuts, but some of these people it feels like it's their life mission to try to spread the gospel about pro wrestling that I'm never going to like. It honestly just really reads like that Steve Buscemi meme to me. A bunch of people trying to fit in & pretend that they get it. Like Randy Marsh listening to the shit music in South Park.

5 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Not to say the die-hard WWE fans aren't also equally biased & nuts,

Yes, the people who will threaten your life for not thinking Alexa Bliss is the greatest story arc of all time are equally as nuts as someone who likes the Young Bucks. 

The "I don't care for this, so everyone who does like it must be just pretending so they can fit in" is an interesting take as well. It is possible people might like things that you don't. 

51 minutes ago, Coffey said:

To me, they're the epitome of Indie style. Getting all your shit in, kicking out of everything, doing high spots for the sake of high spots. It's video game wrestling. It's Twitter .gif wrestling. It's, to coin a favorite phrase from PWO's past, COSplay wrestling. When people in the wrestling circles talk about the Young Bucks to the point that they call them the greatest ever or some shit, I just roll my eyes. It's something I'll never understand or comprehend. Thankfully there's a mute feature & block button on every forum/social media so I can remove myself from any discourse with those people. It's easier than trying to engage them, like Trump supporters. Just let them live in their bubble & I'll live in mine. Life is too short to argue with strangers on the internet over opinions that will never be persuaded.  

I never understood the Kevin Steen love. I don't get Orange Cassidy. But to me, the Bucks are the worst. AEW "Stans" on Twitter are a different breed. It's like the Beyonce fans or the fans of that all dude Korean pop band but from wrestling marks. Not to say the die-hard WWE fans aren't also equally biased & nuts, but some of these people it feels like it's their life mission to try to spread the gospel about pro wrestling that I'm never going to like. It honestly just really reads like that Steve Buscemi meme to me. A bunch of people trying to fit in & pretend that they get it. Like Randy Marsh listening to the shit music in South Park.

Caveat that I both like the Young Bucks well enough and don't hate - even actively enjoy- indy style, but I think this is mostly right if a bit too invective heavy for me. I'm a bit agog at calling Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks the GOATs, basically as if you disagree you have to make the definitive case why. Different strokes and all. Funny enough, I've always like Steen (thus the name) and a lot at that.

33 minutes ago, strobogo said:

The "indie style" is the default style in every company in the US, UK/Europe, and also a lot of Japan, and lucha is lucha so idk why you'd even bother with current wrestling as it must be really miserable for you to watch, @Coffey

I can't speak for Coffey of course but I do recall a thread here, something like "would you rather only be able to watch wrestling from after this date (c. 2015) or before 1995" and plenty of answers came down towards the latter. I'm just starting to get back into wrestling and enjoying modern stuff well enough but I still might take the earlier bloc in that hypothetical.

Lemme just say that even Kenneth acknowledges the Big Dog.

Right now, in 2021, the greatest active wrestler is Daniel Bryan Danielson. He's like LeBron in which even while not being in his peak, he's still ticking all the boxes, giving you everything you could possibly ask and more. People like Okada, Omega, Roman, Ibushi etc are all in the top tier. They are the Durants, Antetokounmpos and Currys of the wrestling world. Guys that will end up ranking pretty fucking high all time and make sure that Bryan is going to work to keep that spot as the best wrestler right now. 

They're the Elite, pun not intended, of professional wrestling today. 

The Usos, YB, Lucha Bros and New Day (to me that is the greatest group ever) are like that, but with tag teams.

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Lemme just say that even Kenneth acknowledges the Big Dog.

Right now, in 2021, the greatest active wrestler is Daniel Bryan Danielson. He's like LeBron in which even while not being in his peak, he's still ticking all the boxes, giving you everything you could possibly ask and more. People like Okada, Omega, Roman, Ibushi etc are all in the top tier. They are the Durants, Antetokounmpos and Currys of the wrestling world. Guys that will end up ranking pretty fucking high all time and make sure that Bryan is going to work to keep that spot as the best wrestler right now. 

They're the Elite, pun not intended, of professional wrestling today. 

The Usos, YB, Lucha Bros and New Day (to me that is the greatest group ever) are like that, but with tag teams.

That's pretty spot on analogy, bubba.  (and I'm in the "LeBron will never reach MJ" side of that argument, but that's besides the point)

3 hours ago, Coffey said:

I never understood the Kevin Steen love. I don't get Orange Cassidy. But to me, the Bucks are the worst. AEW "Stans" on Twitter are a different breed. It's like the Beyonce fans or the fans of that all dude Korean pop band but from wrestling marks. Not to say the die-hard WWE fans aren't also equally biased & nuts, but some of these people it feels like it's their life mission to try to spread the gospel about pro wrestling that I'm never going to like. It honestly just really reads like that Steve Buscemi meme to me. A bunch of people trying to fit in & pretend that they get it. Like Randy Marsh listening to the shit music in South Park.

You have clearly never seen WWE fans argue why every single thing the Fiend does is actually classis horror storytelling. Or how Martha Hart is an ungrateful bitch for allowing Owen Hart's name to be used by AEW and doesn't let his fans honour his memory cuz she is bitter and blames Vince for a tragic accident. It is incredbile just how much ugliness you can find on Twitter if you are looking.

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Also, speaking of Cody and the Bucks:

https://www.bodyslam.net/2021/09/29/exclusive-update-on-backstage-roles-of-aew-evps/

Can't say TK taking over creative from them is a bad thing, but looks like he needs a middleman more and more

It's the right move. Any time I start losing interest is when TK hasn't been saying no enough and the really good shit and good periods have always been when he's been putting his foot down and driving things. I know he gets ripped on but he really is a good booker with good instincts for what works and doesn't work.

Roman is more of an Andrew Wiggins, albeit with much more sensible views about vaccines.

As for Coach Tony K, he's dangerously close to being spread too thin. In addition to everything else he does, he had to take over editing duties for Dark and Elevation after that Max Caster rap. Bookers have a shelf life, and having so much on his plate is going to accelerate the burnout process. Maybe he can do like Lawler and Jarrett did in Memphis and have someone he switches booking duties with every six months or so. I don't know who else in the company has a strong booking mind, though. Maybe Jericho. Say what you want about him in the ring, but the fact that he's managed to remain a top star for decades by continually reinventing himself suggests that he has a good sense of which way the wind blows.

The one thing that WWE always had over WCW is that it was Vince's vision, for better or worse. The fact there was one decision made at the end of the day. Of course that was before Vince lost his mind. But that's a really good thing especially since, judging from his track record until now, he is a good booker who also learns from his mistakes.

The issue is indeed him running himself into the ground by overworking himself. The two Dark shows should probably been given some other people to oversee them. I don't want Coach Tony K. to burn himself out.

As far as creative people, I guess Callis would not be bad, although IMPACT's booking was always D'Amore more than anyone else.

41 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Roman is more of an Andrew Wiggins, albeit with much more sensible views about vaccines.

As for Coach Tony K, he's dangerously close to being spread too thin. In addition to everything else he does, he had to take over editing duties for Dark and Elevation after that Max Caster rap. Bookers have a shelf life, and having so much on his plate is going to accelerate the burnout process. Maybe he can do like Lawler and Jarrett did in Memphis and have someone he switches booking duties with every six months or so. I don't know who else in the company has a strong booking mind, though. Maybe Jericho. Say what you want about him in the ring, but the fact that he's managed to remain a top star for decades by continually reinventing himself suggests that he has a good sense of which way the wind blows.

I think it greatly depends on how involved the process is for him. If he's just signing off on what people want to do and leaving a framework of what needs to happen he might be okay for awhile. It also being something he is obviously passionate about might give him some lifespan. 

Generally I think they are going to have to find guys that they can trust to do more booking. Maybe they could lure guys like Super Dragon in for creative. 

Its worthy remembering that AEW isn't Tony Khan's only role. He's still director of football at Fulham and I'm sure he has a role at his American football team too. His current workload would be huge if it was just AEW, and while I'm more than happy for him to neglect his Fulham duties (especially if they lose at the weekend B)), it feels like he's taking on a lot

19 hours ago, Coffey said:

You must be a blast at parties lol

I don't know how much money Fulham earns him, but he can probably step back a bit from that. God knows Fulham fans absolutely despise him as it is. The Jags are a different matter. He might be a wrestling mark but he is also a billionaire businessman, and he knows that being an NFL team owner is far more prestigious than being a wrestling promoter. Hell, if he had a choice, I am not entirely sure Vince would not choose to trade positions with TK. This true mainstream shit is what he has always wanted.