goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, MoS said:

You have clearly never seen WWE fans argue why every single thing the Fiend does is actually classis horror storytelling. 

This is actually hilarious and I would love to see it. I've not seen it but that sounds comedy. How do they defend the red lighting?

6 hours ago, Coffey said:

This is actually hilarious and I would love to see it. I've not seen it but that sounds comedy. How do they defend the red lighting?

It adds a layer of aura and intrigue to his matches, it represents how we are all in Fiend's world right now, it is actually the fans' fault if they can't see clearly due to the lighting and they should stop whining, the issue with Fiend was that he was not booked dominantly enough, etc etc

So the Khans probably have their hands full right now, as Jags coach Urban Meyer is full on setting his career on fire in full view of the public.  Their big splash hire for a coach quickly turned out to be another "top level asshole college coach who couldn't hack it in an environment where the world didn't revolve around him"  case and was seen after the lastest loss at a steakhouse he owns checking the oil of some random chick who was decidedly not his wife. Considering his whole gimmick was being some high paragon of morality (which everyone knew was bullshit, but pretended wasn't the case) this has pushed the Jags from "average bad football team you have no reason to care about" to "complete clown shoes operation that causes secondhand embarrassment".  

Shad's already had to put out a statement that would came off sounding like someone who had to stage an intervention after finding his buddy passed out for the million time, so I wonder how much time Tony's had to spend on the ol' handegg team this week.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:03 PM, MoS said:

Can't say TK taking over creative from them is a bad thing

That might not have been the case, though. From Observer Radio via 411, " (Meltzer's) comments paint a bit of a different picture regarding AEW’s creative situation. According to Meltzer, the current status of Tony Khan taking the reins of the creative booking has been the case in AEW since December 2019 ...Meltzer added that none of the EVPs have lost any power “of late.” He continued, “Nobody has lost any power of late. It’s the same thing that it’s been....The EVPs, they are all in the discussions on this stuff, but Tony makes the final call. They all have input.”

I don't think that article implied otherwise tbh. The headline was clickbait yeah, but it basically said that the EVPs basically lost their booking power last year and now TK runs creative. From all indications, TK took over all booking after that year-end Dark order angle was a giant flop, so probably beginning of last year. I don't know how much the EVPs and Jericho were flat-out booking their own angles then, that has never been fully explained, but yeah it has been Tony Khan's ship for a while. Meltz said the Elite and Jericho/Moxley and now Punk/Danielson tell him what their long-term wishes are for their booking, and he encourages that, but ultimately all decisions are his. That still doesn't explain why he looked shocked like he had seen a ghost in the backstage reaction to Cody's Rah Rah America promo. If he gave Cody the end-point of that promo, which was to set up a US v. UK feud with Ogogo, like what was he expecting. 

Cody Rhodes: “This will disappoint so many and maybe it won’t, maybe this will excite, but two things I can guarantee you. And I’m not saying this to wave one hand while you’re not looking at the other. I’m telling this from the most honest standpoint, I am not going to turn heel on this company. And I would retire before I did that. Now I’m the head of the community outreach group. I have a little girl now. I’m not going to be doing heel stuff on TV.”

“I am not turning heel and I’m not going back on my word to challenge for the title. That stuff was real. It hurts. It is a large regret that that ever happened, but it did happen and I can live with it. And I got to do that dance with Chris Jericho, and I will not go back on that stipulation, me personally. If Tony [Khan] wanted to change things he could. And again, you can never say never in wrestling, but I do think there’s this idea that evil corporate need would turn the stipulation around and challenge for the world title, that I can say never will happen.”

https://popculture.com/sports/news/cody-rhodes-aew-reveals-2-things-will-not-do/

Never getting a world title is good. Make the stip mean something. But the whole "I will never turn heel" is kinda baffling considering the reaction he's been getting. Hey, if he can get the crowd back eventually, more power to him. But really for now... I don't see how it's happening.

Hopefully this is just part of the eventual heel turn (his weeks old baby is going to be traumatized by daddy playing heel on TV?) and not a sincere statement.

I really wish modern wrestlers wouldn't discuss all the backstage stuff publicly as it's happening, but I know that's an old man opinion 

7 hours ago, funkdoc said:

Bobby Fish actually got signed huh? Really thought he'd be a one-off.  Guess he'd be a good hand to teach the kids...in the ring, at least.

I was hoping he’d stop wrestling and devote all his free time to saving the children with Drake Wuertz.

For what it's worth, Bix has cautioned against jumping to conclusions about Fish. There doesn't seem to be any record of him being involved in anything QAnon-affiliated other than that one OUR fundraiser. The fact that he deleted the IG post with him and Drake suggests that he initially got taken in by innocuous-sounding rhetoric about fighting child trafficking and bailed once he realized what the real deal was.

I previously said that Henry had a great eye for talent and would be a tremendous asset for AEW as long as he didn't have a stick up his ass about Respecting the Business. But if this is the kind of attitude he's bringing to the job, he needs to be shown the door. By the way, Luchasaurus was one of the whistleblowers who exposed Bill DeMott's abusive training practices in NXT. I wonder if Henry would tell him to his face that he's weak and doesn't deserve to be in the business.

I always thought Mark Henry came off like a complete corporate idiot everytime he publicly opened his mouth when he was in WWE (including "But Owen deserves to be in the HOF" bullshit, or the Lio Rush stuff that people talk about in the thread too). I know he's friend with Coach Tony K. and all, but really this is bad publicity, all for a guy who's doing what exactly ? Considering he's a guy who had received a ridiculous 10 years contract after a *failed Olympic*, with zero experience, and never got good for a looooong time after he debuted (and that's all he ever got BTW, *good*, which is not an insult, I enjoy good Mark Henry, but he has been ridiculously overrated in some circles, which has become infamous since then), that's rich of him talking about that "deserving" bullshit. As far as his so-called great eyes for talent, wasn't he a proponent for Braun Strowman to get signed ? AEW has enough people with good eye for talents and actual terrific trainers who get pro-wrestling in 2021. The real dinosaur is not the guy with the mask...