Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Redman said:

Speaking of Cody, I forget which show the skit was on this week, but is there a reason why Cody was wearing a three piece suit in his own house in the middle of the night? 

The one where Arn was burning shit in Cody's yard? Yeah that struck me as a conscious attempt to paint Cody as the type of douche that would do that. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/8/2021 at 11:23 PM, MoS said:

He was also someone I thought had stood up to backstage people, although that was for racism and not run-of-the-mill bullying.

Ain't Mark Henry the one that Michael Hayes said "I'm more of an n-word than you are" to & he didn't do shit?

The Andrade/PAC match that was taped for next week's Rampage has been getting rave reviews with people calling it the greatest or second-greatest match in Rampage history. It'll obviously be a great thing for both Andrade and AEW if he can get his mojo back. It'll also hopefully put an end to the baseless slanders PAC has been subjected to on this board. By the way, the "travel issue" that kept PAC off All Out was apparently a concussion.

16 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

It'll also hopefully put an end to the baseless slanders PAC has been subjected to on this board.

Don't blame the board. It's been all me, bay bay!

(At least as far as his work and character go. I never really concerned myself too much with his "travel issues.")

I am seeing some talk on Twitter about how Hangman losing at this PPV and winning down the line is better for the story. I thought he shouldn't take a pinfall loss to Omega when he finally meets him one on one in any case, but to have him lose after the promo he cut last Dynamite would be completely crazy to me. He is more than ready now to be the ace.

14 minutes ago, MoS said:

I am seeing some talk on Twitter about how Hangman losing at this PPV and winning down the line is better for the story. I thought he shouldn't take a pinfall loss to Omega when he finally meets him one on one in any case, but to have him lose after the promo he cut last Dynamite would be completely crazy to me. He is more than ready now to be the ace.

Seems like more folks still under the influence of WWE Brain thinking the only way to book a red hot babyface is to beat them and beat them and beat them until they are nothing special.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Seems like more folks still under the influence of WWE Brain thinking the only way to book a red hot babyface is to beat them and beat them and beat them until they are nothing special.

People also keep pointing to Naito and that is such a different case altogether, and that is without going into the different format of American wrestling, with weekly primetime TV. 

Interesting how far ahead Smackdown was in total viewers; it's a real statement about how young skewing the AEW audience is. Also, while I'm sure people will dice the numbers a million ways to make arguments that WWE was the real winner, we're definitely in full on war territory here; kinda fun to be back in the 90s.

Just now, MoS said:

People also keep pointing to Naito and that is such a different case altogether, and that is without going into the different format of American wrestling, with weekly primetime TV. 

Also, Naito was not exactly hot as champ - part of that had to do with COVID, but it was also because they'd missed his peak. (I also think Naito's character didn't really have growth left at that point - that's obviously not the case with Page.)

2 minutes ago, Migs said:

Interesting how far ahead Smackdown was in total viewers; it's a real statement about how young skewing the AEW audience is. Also, while I'm sure people will dice the numbers a million ways to make arguments that WWE was the real winner, we're definitely in full on war territory here; kinda fun to be back in the 90s.

I don't think there's any way AEW comes close to WWE's 50+ numbers in years at least. It's a generation that either became fans as kids/teenagers when Hogan was the champ, or in their 20s/30s when the Attitude Era happened. WWE is the only wrestling they have basically ever known. It's an entirely different ballpark. To them, AEW is genuinely a pissant t-shirt company. 

4 minutes ago, Migs said:

Also, Naito was not exactly hot as champ - part of that had to do with COVID, but it was also because they'd missed his peak. (I also think Naito's character didn't really have growth left at that point - that's obviously not the case with Page.)

Yeah I think while him losing to Okada for the first time worked great for NJPW long-term, it wasn't as good for his personal drawing power. Difference was that New Japan's future at that time was tied to Okada (and Omega) and not Naito, while in this case, Page is the future. 

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

I don't think there's any way AEW comes close to WWE's 50+ numbers in years at least. It's a generation that either became fans as kids/teenagers when Hogan was the champ, or in their 20s/30s when the Attitude Era happened. WWE is the only wrestling they have basically ever known. It's an entirely different ballpark. To them, AEW is genuinely a pissant t-shirt company. 

I think I agree, although I do wonder if the level of rivalry eventually gets a certain segment of that group to sample AEW and switch. There's definitely an effect of the rivalry increasing awareness on both sides; I mean, I didn't watch Smackdown but I actually took a look at the live results while I was watching Rampage because I was curious about what WWE was running in that slot. I'm oddly more aware of WWE's current angles than I was a week ago.

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Yeah I think while him losing to Okada for the first time worked great for NJPW long-term, it wasn't as good for his personal drawing power. Difference was that New Japan's future at that time was tied to Okada (and Omega) and not Naito, while in this case, Page is the future. 

Right. Okada needed to be up on the pedestal for Omega, who's story needed to be completed by beating Okada, and who had some interesting places to go as champ (even if it all went to shit pretty quickly). Naito's character was all about his nonchalance and ambivalence about wanting to be champion; but frankly, they'd already told that story with the IC title. I don't think they draw to the level they do in 2018 and 2019 if Naito wins against Okada.

Page, on the other hand - his growth on the journey to being a champion is basically done. There's no need to stretch it out, with the one potential exception being if they think Omega-Danielson would draw significantly more for the title (reasonable minds can disagree on that one). Page as champion has lots of character growth - what's he like when he first succeeds? How does it change his relationship to the Dark Order and to the Elite? What happens when he finds out maybe winning the title doesn't solve the impostor syndrome? There's a lot on the table if he wins now, and I don't even necessarily think he needs to hold the title forever either (i.e. what if he dropped it to Omega on an April Dynamite and they do Kenny-Dragon at Double or Nothing for the title? Then you get the crowning and the Omega-Dragon PPV title match).

2 hours ago, Migs said:

One of the interesting things is at least as it stands right now, I wonder who will/would be willing to jump from AEW to WWE for presumably a bigger paycheck if WWE opens the wallet given how creatively bereft they've been and talent seems so over it. In the 90s it felt like one or the other always had at least one going for them (paycheck or creative) to entice guys over.

4 hours ago, MoS said:

When Gedo does it he's called a genius so I can picture some fans in Twitter thinking that might be a good idea even though it's horrible.

3 hours ago, Migs said:

Page as champion has lots of character growth - what's he like when he first succeeds? How does it change his relationship to the Dark Order and to the Elite? What happens when he finds out maybe winning the title doesn't solve the impostor syndrome? 

I really hope they don’t go that route with Page. The last thing he needs is to become Rodimus Prime.