goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Migs said:

Interesting how far ahead Smackdown was in total viewers; it's a real statement about how young skewing the AEW audience is. Also, while I'm sure people will dice the numbers a million ways to make arguments that WWE was the real winner, we're definitely in full on war territory here; kinda fun to be back in the 90s.

That's part of the story, but also Smackdown was on from 8-10.30 while AEW was on from 10-11 so being on in the earlier slot helps too.

16 hours ago, Steenalized said:

One of the interesting things is at least as it stands right now, I wonder who will/would be willing to jump from AEW to WWE for presumably a bigger paycheck if WWE opens the wallet given how creatively bereft they've been and talent seems so over it. In the 90s it felt like one or the other always had at least one going for them (paycheck or creative) to entice guys over.

I know it will probably happen at some point, but I also struggle to think who would jump over. Even if there could be more money, all the "cost cutting" WWE is doing should be enough to give anyone pause. And while AEW absolutely needs to do more with the women's division, WWE's is in rough shape. 

I mean the only way I could see someone wanting to jump from AEW to WWE is if Vince breaks the bank, which he might do just to attempt to fuck with them. Problem is Tony can match him dollar for dollar if he wants so even that would potentially be another thing that blows up in their faces. 

Besides, considering how pretty much everyone who signed "don't go to AEW" money deals ended up getting thrown in the cost cutting thresher, who would even want to accept that offer anyway? 

The only one I can see making the jump is Brian Cage since he's pretty much Vince's wet dream come to life and apparently isn't happy with how he's been used if his wife's twitter is any indication. I don't see any of the top level players in AEW even considering making the jump especially considering most of them either have worked there before or had negotiations with them prior to AEW forming.

(also not counting Chris Jericho in this since I assume he'll probably get a WWE Old Timer Run before it's all said and done) 

Vince will be 78 and a half when MJF's contract is up. And possibly deceased by that point.

All for independent contractors playing the leverage game though. Dumb not to. 

But the real game MJF is playing aimed at the obvious and earned TV rights increase AEW will garner in late 2023 when their deal with TNT is up for renewal.

You can't push everyone to the world championship and eventually someone from AEW will have a better opportunity with WWE. And that's not a bad thing. Wrestlers routinely switching companies makes everything more interesting.

1 hour ago, Al said:

You can't push everyone to the world championship and eventually someone from AEW will have a better opportunity with WWE. And that's not a bad thing. Wrestlers routinely switching companies makes everything more interesting.

Yup, if there's one thing fans would benefit from re-learning or finding out is that talent having runs in different companies is not a bad thing.

I'ma gonna cringe when Seth Rollins is the one leveraging a top spot with AEW though :wacko:

Well, if WWE doesn't change their way, them getting someone made in AEW will only produce disappointment because of restrictions on match styles, scripted promos and most of all, the fact that they will never push correctly a guy they did not make. I have no idea why anyone would trust WWE with (well, anything at this point, really) making a good use of someone from the opposition. They have squandered the potential of 95% of the can't miss guys they got their hands on in the last decade, and they did not come from a successful opposition either (so there was no resentment involved, although even a guy like Bully Ray could never do Bully Ray when he went back, he had to be the Dudleys because that's all WWE ever knew/thought he could be). 

Right, which is why it's hard to imagine anyone making the jump. They'll probably have to not shoot their own talent in the foot first to build some trust that yes, the WWE can be the preferable place to work. Or someone has to really take a chance on the promise of getting paid a lot more than AEW is. But it all feels so doubtful because the WWE seems so set in its way and used to being able to say its our way or the highway.

So in an interview with Fightful, Deonna Purazzo said she was talking to Scott D'Amore about having more women from Impact and AEW going through the Forbidden Door and mentioned Britt was having the same conversation with TK. So perhaps we'll finally see more of that with the TBS title opening more opportunities for more women's matches. 

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So in an interview with Fightful, Deonna Purazzo said she was talking to Scott D'Amore about having more women from Impact and AEW going through the Forbidden Door and mentioned Britt was having the same conversation with TK. So perhaps we'll finally see more of that with the TBS title opening more opportunities for more women's matches. 

YES ! Deonna showing up in AEW or Britt showing up in IMPACT (preferably both) would have me mark the FUCK out. Deonna winning the TBS belt would be quite awesome in a reverse Christian wins the IMPACT title way. 2021, stop hyping me already. I can't take much more.

6 hours ago, El-P said:

They have squandered the potential of 95% of the can't miss guys they got their hands on in the last decade

I could not agree with this statement more.

Every time I see Malakai Black in AEW it leaves me totally flabbergasted that WWE had this guy locked up, right there…and these geniuses didn’t know what they had, or what to do with him.

It’s not even like AEW had to reboot him or give him a different gimmick, Black is doing the exact same routine in AEW that he was doing in NXT, the only difference is that Tony Khan is not stupid and he’s letting the guy do what he is best at. 

Vince and his flunkies not only didn’t use Black properly out of NXT, the best idea they could come up with for him was to put him in a stupid Tag Team with Ricochet. Then they release him for no real reason, and are so stupid that they don’t even know how long his non-compete clause is.

WWE really are a bunch of morons. I cannot see any justifiable excuse for that type of incompetence. They have a perfectly viable, original and fresh young talent under contract, and they basically hand him to the competition on a silver platter.

And he is just one of several talents just like that. What we are seeing from Miro right now it’s just another example of WWE’s utter lack of creativity and foresight.  He’s awesome. He was always awesome, but for whatever reason Grandpa Vinnie didn’t get him, so they squandered yet another can’t miss talent.  Can’t miss…but somehow Vince keeps missing.

I am hardly an AEW fanboy but every time they rescue somebody from WWE it makes me happy, both because we get to see a talent used properly and thrive…but also because it demonstrates how terrible the WWE creative team has botched their can’t miss talent and it exposes how much Vince has totally lost it and no longer has whatever skill he once had when it comes to spotting and promoting original new talent.

I mean, it's not even that they are stupid. Vince is undoubtedly a smart guy who at one time knew his business and the way it was trendy better than everyone. The problem is he's in his 70s and can't possibly relate to current trends, nor does he surround himself with people who do. Like most record label execs are old AF, but they surround themselves with people in their 20s-302 who understand current trends and make sure their product still resonates with the kids. 

I also have to wonder how many folks who left WWE for AEW have had horror stories to share on why they left with the rest of the locker room. Like Bryan and Cole were very civil and even grateful for their experiences, but then you have Mox, Punk, and Cody saying firsthand how suffocating that environment was.

29 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

I also have to wonder how many folks who left WWE for AEW have had horror stories to share on why they left with the rest of the locker room. Like Bryan and Cole were very civil and even grateful for their experiences, but then you have Mox, Punk, and Cody saying firsthand how suffocating that environment was.

Punk doesn't even have to say anything. Just showing up to work so happy  speaks volumes.  

5 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

I guess part of it is that Cole never made it to the main roster. His entire run was being pushed as the top guy in NXT, the leader of a dominating stable and working with his idol Shawn Michaels. His dealings with Vince were likely pretty minimal, so he's not going to have the frustrations others got. 

Apparently, TNT has changed Dynamite's airing schedule due to their recent NHL deal in such a way where Western and Mountain time zone viewers will no longer be able to watch it at 8 PM, which will have a significant impact on ratings. As of now, it is only for one week, but it seems to be planned until the move to TBS. Given this modification as well as the numerous pre-emptions throughout the year, the TBS move increasingly seems like the best possible move for them. TNT might be more prestigious due to NBA, but TBS will have a stronger lead-in. Sports will always be more prestigious than wrestling, and constantly getting shafted due to hockey and basketball must not be fun for TK.