goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/4/2022 at 5:45 AM, Loss said:

My personal and unqualified theory on ratings is that the quality of the previous few weeks is a greater factor than the lineup that night, with rare exceptions. Dynamite ratings were up for a few weeks after a great first TBS show and they were down last night after a few below-par shows.

I would agree if Raw did not do such great ratings in 98 and 99. A couple of years ago, I tried to watch through that period of shows and while they were hot in the first half of 98, starting from the summer, the shows became garbage that it makes me questions humanity that they did such good numbers.

5 minutes ago, Robert S said:

A couple of years ago, I tried to watch through that period of shows and while they were hot in the first half of 98, starting from the summer, the shows became garbage that it makes me questions humanity that they did such good numbers.

This.

SummerSlam 98 was officially the end of the actual good era of WWE then. Did not pick up after I guess Russo was gone. 1999 is a record year for WWF, but the product was horrible. It was horrible then and in retrospect it's probably way worse. 

Russo fucked the buildup to Survivor Series 1998, but I thought the PPV itself and the tournament was quite a clever idea, although obviously Vince McMahon oversaw that. Tournaments don't draw well generally but that tournament was quite intriguing, and did a great job elevating Rock and turning Mankind once and forever into a highly sympathetic main event babyface. 

There was a lot of trash and convoluted shit in the buildup, like there always is when Russo is involved, but the fundamental idea was great, and that's why I think it worked. No matter how shitty the dead weight was, you still had Rock and Foley getting elevated while Austin continued to add wrinkles to his feud with Vince McMahon. Vince was tremendous in using Austin and himself, and the dynamics of their feud, to build up several main event stars that could headline his shows when Austin inevitably succumbed to his injuries. It's why I think for all the nonsense, Austin v. McMahon is still the greatest feud in WWF history. It just totally changed WWF's landscape in every conceivable way. 

55 minutes ago, MoS said:

It's why I think for all the nonsense, Austin v. McMahon is still the greatest feud in WWF history. It just totally changed WWF's landscape in every conceivable way. 

In the short run, it drew gigantic numbers and was very fun for a *short* while (basically, the Dude Love period, by KORT it had jumped the shark already to me with the stupid Kane victory which was erased the next day, not to mention the streak of AWFUL matches in the fall involving Kane & Taker over and over and over again. 99 was just godawful with the Ministry of Darkness and "It was me all along!" and shit like this).

In the long run, for the absolute worse. It gave the McMahons the idea that they had to be at the center of everything (since they were gonna be around forever anyway... I mean, until the 20's of course ;)) and gave them the idea that everything had to book around an evil authority figure.

So, the most important, probably. The best ? Not even close.

As far as the AEW new signee, to get back on topic, could be anyone, really. So many people have been released.

The fact that Vince's ultimate takeaway from that More McMahons is good isn't really the fault of the feud though. If you think of the feud as ending when Austin beat Rock at Backlash, I think it still remains by far the best feud in WWF history. Vince's mistake was not realising that such a feud could only work once, and only with singular people in Austin and Vince himself. 

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

I would agree if Raw did not do such great ratings in 98 and 99. A couple of years ago, I tried to watch through that period of shows and while they were hot in the first half of 98, starting from the summer, the shows became garbage that it makes me questions humanity that they did such good numbers.

TV is different than it was in 1998. So are wrestling fans.

Since the announcement talks about a guy who not only is a free agent but also is walking through the Joe Forbidden Door, I was thinking more about someone who's actually already working somewhere else, but as a free agent. So maybe a guy like Bandido, which would be awesome.

TK personally hyping it multiple times on multiple platforms means there's zero chance it can live up to whatever hype people are building for themselves. The last time he did this, it was Christian, who while a great pick up and great guy to have in your company, certainly did not live up to the hype.

30 minutes ago, strobogo said:

TK personally hyping it multiple times on multiple platforms means there's zero chance it can live up to whatever hype people are building for themselves. The last time he did this, it was Christian, who while a great pick up and great guy to have in your company, certainly did not live up to the hype.

True, but unlike certain other major wrestling companies, AEW tends to learn from their missteps so I wouldn't expect it to be a Christian level dud of an announcement.