Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

1 hour ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Seeing the Shane McMahon is All Elite announcement would be something, and they might could get a good storyline out of it but I do not want to see Shane in the ring at all. 

Yeah I 100% want to see it happen for the LOLZ but I don't really want any more crappy Shane matches to happen anywhere in the world.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

This. I almost want it to happen just to see the meltdown Vince would have.

Vince would completely no-sell it.

When have we ever seen him have a meltdown? (Stupid talk show appearances aside, and those were calculated stunts anyway.)

Moot point, because the mystery person is in a match to qualify for a future TNT Title shot. That ain't Shane.

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

When have we ever seen him have a meltdown? (Stupid talk show appearances aside, and those were calculated stunts anyway.)

His obsession with Ted Turner to the point he would send letters to advertisers concern trolling about the "self multilation" (sound familiar?) that Ted Turner's Wrestling Company would do. 

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

Vince would completely no-sell it.

Moot point, because the mystery person is in a match to qualify for a future TNT Title shot. That ain't Shane.

Shane is the crowned greatest wrestler in the world, bro. What better way to stick it to his father than become the Turner Network Television Champion. 

Thankfully, the goal of Coach Tony K. is to build a financially sustainable, quality pro-wrestling company, not stick it to Vince because "lolz". That's one (big) difference between him and Bischoff, which, in the long run, should pay off. And really, it already has paid off. No idea why anyone in their right mind would want Shane in AEW. Adam Cole showing up just after main-eventing pretty much the last NXT Takeover was a much better "stick it to Vince" moment already while also actually building the future of the company.

If by chance he was under an NXT deal since that's where he last worked, those had 30 day no competes (hence the infamous forgetting to update Malakai Black's contract when he moved up). If Joe had an NXT deal, it'd be up today, but yeah otherwise not until April 6 (which is also a Wednesday)

6 hours ago, Coffey said:

How long until Samoa Joe can potentially show up in AEW? I would love to see a reunion of Samoa Joe, Bryan Danielson & C.M. Punk.

Hell, can they bring in Chris Hero, too?

I believe Joe and Regal were under NXT deals, so they had a 30-day no-compete. 

I love Joe as much as anyone and think it would be cool to have Punk, Bryan and him in one company, but do you guys really want to see him in action? He is broken down. Could barely move in his match against Killer Kross. 

It's not like Punk in which we didn't know what shape he would turn up in or anything. We HAVE SEEN Joe in action and he hasn't been very mobile since 2018. He's a great commentator, though. 

Isn't Juice Robinson a free agent? He's another dude that could make an impact (hehe)

Yeah, I'd love to have Joe in AEW, but it's not like I would expect anything in term of actual matches. And honestly, he's a guy who peaked around 2005/2006. He's not like Danielson or Christopher Daniels (who still had MOTYC in the 10's and just had a terrific match with Jay White last week)) or Aries (who still looked awesome a few years back) or Styles. I understand his motivation got squashed by years a piss-poor TNA booking (no one got wasted more than Joe in this company when he should have been made the Ace from winning the feud with Angle), but if I'm honest about his output (while I'm still watching TNA chronologically), his last legit great performance was in 2009 (of course he still delivered some very good stuff after that point, even at his worst Joe was still always a super reliable talent, which says a lot). Now, I haven't seen his ROH stuff before he got to NXT, but the consensus about his NXT stint is that he wasn't the Joe of old either. He's been a great worker with an awesome peak, but it's been a while, and now he's physically shot apparently.

And yet I would still love to see Joe do stuff in AEW.:P

On 2/5/2022 at 11:42 AM, El-P said:

This.

SummerSlam 98 was officially the end of the actual good era of WWE then. Did not pick up after I guess Russo was gone. 1999 is a record year for WWF, but the product was horrible. It was horrible then and in retrospect it's probably way worse. 

I would put the end of the "good" run earlier. A bit after King of the Ring, they started doing unbearably boring, stupid four way segments with Vince, Austin, Undertaker and Kane that took half of the show. Plus, you know, choppy, choppy, your pee pee.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Loss said:

TV is different than it was in 1998. So are wrestling fans.

Looking at demographics (if you trust them, of course), it's the same people watching as 25 years ago (just 80% dropped of the wagon over the years), so you might say that we all grew older. But I cannot fathom how the frattiest of fratboys did not go "this is stupid, let's go get drunk and hit on girls until we score" during some of those segments. I (though I should mention that I was the opposite of a fratboy) dropped of quickly after WWF came back on TV while being off the air for most of 98 (coming back with Survivor Series).

My point is that I don't think quality was as important in the late 90s as it is now. Fans watched wrestling on Monday nights because if you were college-age, it was the thing to do. I was in college at the time and there were viewing parties all over campus. It wasn't even that people were paying close attention. (Drove me crazy how much people talked when I was trying to watch!) Now, wrestling draws from a pool of people who are already wrestling fans, which is a smaller audience, but that also means that making the wrestling good is a lot more important than it used to be. 

On WOR last night/this morning Dave is pretty confident that Keith Lee will be showing up here soon, but he doesn't know for sure he's the guy debuting on Wednesday.  Also all reports seem to indicate people in AEW are thinking Keith Lee is going to be the guy showing up. 

One thing for sure is it won't be Jeff Hardy, as he's still under a non compete. 

The Forbidden Door reference seems to indicate he's currently working elsewhere as a free agent, so not Keith Lee, which honestly could make a bigger impact just showing up and directly challenging a player instead of participating in a qualifier match. So like I said before, Bandido. You can quote me.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, KawadaSmile said:

I love Joe as much as anyone and think it would be cool to have Punk, Bryan and him in one company, but do you guys really want to see him in action? He is broken down. Could barely move in his match against Killer Kross. 

Well they brought in Mark Henry & Paul Wight, put them in other roles & they've been fine. I'm not saying Joe needs to wrestle weekly but I wouldn't be against Joe having a faction & his faction feuding with Taz's faction or something like that. He's still a great talker & has an aura about him. Have Joe corrupt Hook away from his father. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Well they brought in Mark Henry & Paul Wight, put them in other roles & they've been fine. I'm not saying Joe needs to wrestle weekly but I wouldn't be against Joe having a faction & his faction feuding with Taz's faction or something like that. He's still a great talker & has an aura about him. Have Joe corrupt Hook away from his father. :lol:

Joe as a manager/heater for a Danielson faction could absolutely work.

Joe as a commentator or with a mic in his hand is great, don't get me wrong. There are like just two or three dudes in AEW that match his intensity (Punk and Kingston, mostly). I just don't ever want to see him wrestle again.

It's not even about getting physical, as you can have an angle with a brawl and it would be good, but having him be in actual matches seems misguided.